• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Holland retirement watch?

Rate this topic

I don't know how you came up with this. Who's the old gaurd? Are Kronwall, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg part of it? We obviously transitioned well from the late 90's team and now as those three guys age we have the deepest farm system I've ever seen the Wings have. On percentage's alone we should have several very good NHL'ers in our group.

But to stay on topic, as for transition, I see Smith, Dekeyser, Jarnkrok, Tatar, Nyquist, and Andersson as high impact 22-25 year olds ready to start their takeover in the next couple years and Mrazek, Sproul, Jurco and company after that.

Yes, but with Lidstrom, Holmstrom, and Rafalski included. You're misunderstanding what I meant. We're not letting the next crop of players get any significant playing time with these guys outside of injuries happening and forcing us to. Instead, we're signing players like Sammy, Cleary, Cola, Huskins, etc. This is silly if we're trying to rebuild on the fly. We can't wait for Z and D to be gone before we start playing guys like Tatar and Nyquist full-time. Because if they don't pan out, we're royally screwed. Especially if we continue to not take chances or pay the high prices of the players that do come available.

Holland does gotta go .. after this year's garbage team, he has no pull anymore and is unwilling to trade or give up some garbage prospects.. i.e. Kindl

Does he watch SJ, Hawks, etc play? How can we compete...

What I like about SJ GM Doug WIlson is he had guys up for FA and said this, "You can't really allow three UFA to leave and not get any assets in return." The Sharks have 4 picks in the first two rounds of this years draft which is supposed to be a very deep draft class. If we are rebuilding it'd be nice to see Kenny do something like that...

Sorry, not ready to erase "In Kenny We Trust" from Red Wings currency. Besides, it's the entire braintrust of Holland, Nill, Devellano, and ultimately Illitch that have us where we are. And where we are is a place that half the league would kill to be. Of course that is just my opinion and my opinion comes after suffering through the "Dead Wings" era and never even entertaining the thought of jumping ship as a fan. In Kenny I Trust!

I kind of wish Holland had stayed true to the retirement joke about going whenever Nick did. But then again thats just my knee jerk reaction to him based on how hes let this roster decay the last 4 seasons.

This would have been the easy route out, but who is their to replace him? Mr. I would have to throw a lot of money at Chiarelli, Stevie or Shero in order to get them here and even then I am not sure Chia or Shero would like to be part of a rebuilding team.

As for not shopping Filpulla and White I don't understand it either, the only explanation would be that no other teams were willing to pay a first rounder or a 2/3 for White, so maybe try again in the summer but the prices will never be that high again. So this is clearly a missed opportunity here but other than that, Hollands hands were pretty much tied going into the season, hence the not making the playoffs comment from Kenny.

This would have been the easy route out, but who is their to replace him? Mr. I would have to throw a lot of money at Chiarelli, Stevie or Shero in order to get them here and even then I am not sure Chia or Shero would like to be part of a rebuilding team.

Mr I has proven he has no problem throwing money around. I believe he would have no qualms with splashing the cash around to get a top GM to replace Kenny. Even more to get Stevie. While I dont think Kenny is a bad GM I just think hes been in the same place so long he has gotten complacent. Usually I just tell myself that it could be worse. We could have Brian Burke.

As for not shopping Filpulla and White I don't understand it either, the only explanation would be that no other teams were willing to pay a first rounder or a 2/3 for White, so maybe try again in the summer but the prices will never be that high again. So this is clearly a missed opportunity here but other than that, Hollands hands were pretty much tied going into the season, hence the not making the playoffs comment from Kenny.

That is what is so confusing. If we are rebuilding, then move pieces for draft picks and/or young prospects. yet in the other thread with the link to Mlive, Khan quotes Holland saying we were after Jagr, Torres, JayBo, and Pommy. Those are not rebuilding type of moves. those are win now moves.

I'm pretty sure Jim Nill has the job if/when Holland retires.

Holland does gotta go .. after this year's garbage team, he has no pull anymore and is unwilling to trade or give up some garbage prospects.. i.e. Kindl

Does he watch SJ, Hawks, etc play? How can we compete...

Either your comepletly blind or have never watched a game in your life. Kindl, garbage? Oh and next your going to tell me that Lashoff and Brunner are trash right. You must have been one of the brett hull haters on this forum ;)

I'm not sold on Yzerman as a GM. He hasn't really done that great of a job in Tampa. He's had 3 years to address Tampa's biggest holes, defense and goaltending. He has failed on both fronts, and now Tampa is in a race to the bottom.

Either your comepletly blind or have never watched a game in your life. Kindl, garbage? Oh and next your going to tell me that Lashoff and Brunner are trash right. You must have been one of the brett hull haters on this forum ;)

I have never screamed more at someone in a Wings uniform.. maybe Samuelsson than Kindl. He brings zero to this team is a turn over machine, is weak, no offense no defense, what does this guy bring? He's a minor leaguer no where near NHL player.

I have never screamed more at someone in a Wings uniform.. maybe Samuelsson than Kindl. He brings zero to this team is a turn over machine, is weak, no offense no defense, what does this guy bring? He's a minor leaguer no where near NHL player.

It's amazing how two people can watch the same thing and come away with vastly different opinions. Kindl is probably the best skating defenseman on the Wings. He and Kronwall are easily the best defensemen on the team.

It's amazing how two people can watch the same thing and come away with vastly different opinions. Kindl is probably the best skating defenseman on the Wings. He and Kronwall are easily the best defensemen on the team.

lmao seriously you cannot be serious.. we can poll 1000 red wings fans and i can get 995 would say he's garbage.

lmao seriously you cannot be serious.. we can poll 1000 red wings fans and i can get 995 would say he's garbage.

I don't care what those hypothetical 995 say when they're wrong. A lot of dopey homers also complained when we signed Tootoo. They probably also whined about Chelios becoming a Wing. People can be sheep and can let their emotions trump logic.

Did it take Kindl time to develop? Yes. Does he take too many penalties? At times. Is he still one of the best defensemen on the team? Absolutely.

Kindl plays on the power play and leads the team in +/-. He's also the most fluid defenseman on the team. No one on D skates better than he does.

Edited by Serratoni

Kindl has been "garbage" the past 2 games. Other than that he's actually transformed into a good Dman for the Wings. The main problems on our blue line are the odd rookie mistake, but we're in a transition so those are excusable, and guys like White, Coliacovo and Quincey being "garbage".

I don't care what those hypothetical 995 say when they're wrong. A lot of dopey homers also complained when we signed Tootoo. They probably also whined about Chelios becoming a Wing. People can be sheep and can let their emotions trump logic.

Did it take Kindl time to develop? Yes. Does he take too many penalties? At times. Is he still one of the best defensemen on the team? Absolutely.

Kindl plays on the power play and leads the team in +/-. He's also the most fluid defenseman on the team. No one on D skates better than he does.

i agree kindl has been pretty decent except the last two games i worry about smiths development

Kindl has been "garbage" the past 2 games. Other than that he's actually transformed into a good Dman for the Wings. The main problems on our blue line are the odd rookie mistake, but we're in a transition so those are excusable, and guys like White, Coliacovo and Quincey being "garbage".

But it's Ian White.

Kindl has been in many ways our best Dman all year. he has played well. Kronwall has played better offensively, but worse defensively. Ericsson better defensively, but not as good offensively. Those have been our top 3 all year. Smith has made a bunch oif mistakes, but you expect that from a rookie. lashoff has been very good defensively, but is not a threat with the puck. I am looking forward to dekeyser a lot.

Sure I'd like to see the Wings fire there GM's ... cant wait to see who's going to replace him ... might as well start a new thread from now.

When is <Insert new GM name> going to get fired / going to retire!

We Wings fans have been spoiled with all these great players. An era where there was no cap and would overpay anyone to get on the roster. People need to be realizing that this game has changed it's not the same. With the salary cap era it's really tough to put a team together that will be elite year after year. Be happy with all the success we've had thus far, be happier that we still have a chance making the playoffs.

If it wasn't for Holland, 90% of this forum wouldn't have seen a stanley cup or two or three anyways.

Overpaying & throwing away your future is not the key of success no longer in the NHL.

Last I remember the last two stanley cups we didn't pick up a Gaborik / Jagr / Clowe / Iginla and still managed to win a cup. If you guys should be upset about something, be upset that we didn't go after Forsberg. Now for that I would agree with you.

The reason we're not sellers and didn't ship off our UFA's is because this team is making the playoffs and they can make some noise with or without any additions. How many times have you guys seen #7-8 seeds going finals.

Too all the people that want Holland fired, I'm so glad that you guys aren't running the show in Detroit or calling the calls for this organization or else we'd probably be exactly like the Leafs

Sure I'd like to see the Wings fire there GM's ... cant wait to see who's going to replace him ... might as well start a new thread from now.

When is <Insert new GM name> going to get fired / going to retire!

We Wings fans have been spoiled with all these great players. An era where there was no cap and would overpay anyone to get on the roster. People need to be realizing that this game has changed it's not the same. With the salary cap era it's really tough to put a team together that will be elite year after year. Be happy with all the success we've had thus far, be happier that we still have a chance making the playoffs.

If it wasn't for Holland, 90% of this forum wouldn't have seen a stanley cup or two or three anyways.

Overpaying & throwing away your future is not the key of success no longer in the NHL.

Last I remember the last two stanley cups we didn't pick up a Gaborik / Jagr / Clowe / Iginla and still managed to win a cup. If you guys should be upset about something, be upset that we didn't go after Forsberg. Now for that I would agree with you.

The reason we're not sellers and didn't ship off our UFA's is because this team is making the playoffs and they can make some noise with or without any additions. How many times have you guys seen #7-8 seeds going finals.

Too all the people that want Holland fired, I'm so glad that you guys aren't running the show in Detroit or calling the calls for this organization or else we'd probably be exactly like the Leafs

But Holland didn't buil the first 2 SC teams. Jimmy D did. 97 and 98 were all Jimmy D. 02 was the first ith Holland fully in chrge nd responsable for the team. Which was in fact lagely the 97/98 teams minus a couple of pieces. Now Holland gets full credit for the 08 team and 09 team. But he also gets full credit for the last3 seasons-2 second round loses and a first round loss, with what looks like anothershort PO run this year, if we in fact make it.

But Holland didn't buil the first 2 SC teams. Jimmy D did. 97 and 98 were all Jimmy D. 02 was the first ith Holland fully in chrge nd responsable for the team. Which was in fact lagely the 97/98 teams minus a couple of pieces. Now Holland gets full credit for the 08 team and 09 team. But he also gets full credit for the last3 seasons-2 second round loses and a first round loss, with what looks like anothershort PO run this year, if we in fact make it.

This is what I meant when I said in my first post that us Wings fan are spoiled.

The team made the playoffs and you still complain, you are aware the team won't win a cup every year?

Some other team aren't in the playoffs when we're in that first round of the playoffs or even second. I might as well have a team that's making the playoffs then a team seating in the bottom of the league.

This is what I meant when I said in my first post that us Wings fan are spoiled.

The team made the playoffs and you still complain, you are aware the team won't win a cup every year?

Some other team aren't in the playoffs when we're in that first round of the playoffs or even second. I might as well have a team that's making the playoffs then a team seating in the bottom of the league.

so being average is ok? in fact you can be less than average and make the playoffs. That is a pretty bad measuring stick. 53% of all teams make it. Just to compare, in NCAA men's basketball only the top 20% make it. Making the PO's in the NHL and NBA isn't saying much. But it does make a lot on money. Kinda like going to a bowl game in college football. Everyone goes........

Everyone has an effective shelf life ... I think Holland is nearing his expiry date. I'd give him one more year and if this summer is like last summer (I know he tried for Suter and Parise but didn't get them in the end) then we should pass the reigns to Nil? Or maybe Brian Burke ... just throwing it out there.