• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsRox

Concerned - we might not make it in to the playoffs

Rate this topic

Just checked the standings today. Before trade deadline, I was pretty confident that we would make it in but today not very confident at all. Edmonton is getting hot. We know what St. Louis did to bolster their roster. Columbus added a piece and can get streaky. There is always Nashville. This might be the year that our guys get the longest summer ever. Holland didn't do enough.

Nearly every team we play this month we have been able to beat this season. If we get the right bounces and play to the best of our ability we can make this a month to remember. So long as the players stick to trying to win the games one by one and being the better team on the ice, we won't have much to worry about as fans. I wholeheartedly believe we will make the playoffs, and finish 6th in the West. I also wonder if this team has an "elite" streak in them waiting to come out. Feels like every other team around has done something impressive this season (Columbus, Montreal 10+ with a point; Chicago's streak; Penguins 15 wins; Ducks and Sharks playing great at home)

All good things come to and end but it doesn't have to be this year. If we can gain some consistency who knows whats possible... see L.A. last season. It seems the bubble teams are the hardest to face because they are already in fight for your life mode while the run away teams are in coast mode. As much as I wanted to see us join in the fun and excitement of the trade deadline I am glad to see Holland didn't kneejerk any trades and over pay for a piece that probably wouldn't make or break our success.... What I am piss at is I was hoping to see Filp traded (was hoping for a 1st round possibility) but it seems we will either orverpay to keep him or see him walk like Hudler did.

Ok Leters alleviate some of your fears. Out of the 12 games we have left 8 of them are against inferior opponents. 3 against teams that are 1 point or tied with and 1 with Chicago. I'm going to say they will go 9-3 down the stretch here. Especially if 43 suits up for them after he pushes the back the next couple of days.

The Sharks, Kings, Blues, Oilers, and Blue Jackets all have worse schedules. The Oilers have 10 games against opponents that are better or even with them. The Blues still have to play Chicago 3 times. The rest will play each other twice each down the stretch while the Wings only play San Jose St. Louis and LA once and they are all at home.

So by all means be a fan and worry about your team, but realize they have bathe best shot out if the remaining contenders for the final spots and could even move into 5th if everything falls correctly by going 9-3 down the final stretch. It's starts tonight against the desert dogs. GO WINGS!!!

Ok Leters alleviate some of your fears. Out of the 12 games we have left 8 of them are against inferior opponents. 3 against teams that are 1 point or tied with and 1 with Chicago. I'm going to say they will go 9-3 down the stretch here. Especially if 43 suits up for them after he pushes the back the next couple of days.

The Sharks, Kings, Blues, Oilers, and Blue Jackets all have worse schedules. The Oilers have 10 games against opponents that are better or even with them. The Blues still have to play Chicago 3 times. The rest will play each other twice each down the stretch while the Wings only play San Jose St. Louis and LA once and they are all at home.

So by all means be a fan and worry about your team, but realize they have bathe best shot out if the remaining contenders for the final spots and could even move into 5th if everything falls correctly by going 9-3 down the final stretch. It's starts tonight against the desert dogs. GO WINGS!!!

Exactly.

If you go to this website they simulate the results of everygame and currently have the Wings at a 72.7% chance to make it. The simulation is based on the teams with the better record beating the teams with the lesser record and it is weighted in favor of the home team.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

Even though Edmonton is in 8th right now, their chance of making it is only 42%.

Just checked the standings today. Before trade deadline, I was pretty confident that we would make it in but today not very confident at all. Edmonton is getting hot. We know what St. Louis did to bolster their roster. Columbus added a piece and can get streaky. There is always Nashville. This might be the year that our guys get the longest summer ever. Holland didn't do enough.

Yeah, well I'd rather be in 7th with 41 points than 11th with 37.

Depends on who steps up here in the final stretch. For instance, we have zero players on the Wings in the top 50 goal scorers list. The team sits at 21st in total goals scored, 21st on the PP, and 21st on the PK. That isn't good enough, period.

Exactly.

If you go to this website they simulate the results of everygame and currently have the Wings at a 72.7% chance to make it. The simulation is based on the teams with the better record beating the teams with the lesser record and it is weighted in favor of the home team.

Even though Edmonton is in 8th right now, their chance of making it is only 42%.

that is awful, it gives chicago an %88 chance to get the pres. trophy, even though pitts has one point less, and it basically goes in order of points from highest to lowest to see who will make playoffs. and apparently pitts and chicago are the only two teams with a chance at the cup....

Exactly.

I didn't even take it that far. I'm looking at teams like Minn and Vancouver in this too. It's a process of elimination and they all play each other down the stretch. Basically meaning if Minn and Vancouver make it then Edmonton doesn't. If Edmonton and Minn make it then Vancouver doesn't. It's the same scenario with San Jose and LA and St. Louis and Columbus.

Think of it: IF IF IF, Fil and Mule get it going and Broons really did break his slump, we will be in good shape.

Glass half full.

I hate IF'S. The Tigers used to be like that...its always the example I use when talking about the IF philosophy. If Nate Robertson, Craig Monroe, Bonderman, Everrett, and Pudge all repeat their career years...we'll be all good! And then they don't, because that's reality. I don't like being fed the IF philosophy by Kenny...its his job to make sure we win.

The reality is...we've overachieved this year. If anything, were more likely to fall apart.

I hate IF'S. The Tigers used to be like that...its always the example I use when talking about the IF philosophy. If Nate Robertson, Craig Monroe, Bonderman, Everrett, and Pudge all repeat their career years...we'll be all good! And then they don't, because that's reality. I don't like being fed the IF philosophy by Kenny...its his job to make sure we win.

The reality is...we've overachieved this year. If anything, were more likely to fall apart.

Think about it man... if we've overachieved this far through so many drastic changes to the core, through so many injuries and with so many inexperienced players in the lineup then why would we suddenly fall apart? Come playoff time if we are more healthy then not and if we have some of the kinks ironed out then we have the chance to overachieve in the playoffs as well... it is very possible

Wow ... love the positive energy and enthusiasm here. I hope I'm wrong and you are all right, I really do! I don't mind admitting I was wrong.

My only comment is that we tend to lose to inferior team and do well against better teams ... except for that 7-1 Chicago fiasco.

Management never was going to do "enough". They spent all the time they could've spent making deals telling us about how they weren't going to. We're in a rebuild. Whether it's by our own choice or by it being forced on us with management's bad decisions/lack of decisions is the real question.

I don't see us making the playoffs. Too many teams who improved too much around us. Some were already better. We aren't catching L.A. and will probably be passed by younger, better, faster, hotter teams. It's time to look forward.

Guest Hatethedrake!

I still think the Wings will make it to the playoffs. I want Chicago. I know we're 0-3 against them but I think if Helm comes back and we can be reasonably healthy, we could knock them off.

Think about it man... if we've overachieved this far through so many drastic changes to the core, through so many injuries and with so mannexperienced players in the lineup then why would we suddenly fall apart? Come playoff time if we are more healthy then not and if we have some of the kinks ironed out then we have the chance to overachieve in the playoffs as well... it is very possible

Look man...I treat the Wings like i would my own kid...even when they're near useless and a shell of what they have been or could be, I still can't help but think the impossible is possible. That said, I dont believe this is anywhere near a Cinderella team. Could you imagine if we made it to the conference finals and had to rely on Kronwall to be a true difference maker, Ericsson as on top shutdown guy, anyone not named Datsyuk or Zetterberg to score a big goal, or for that matter almost anyone besides those two actually playing like they really care whether they win or not? Cinderella teams usually use stellar work ethic to succeed...we do not. Theres a reason SF didnt put Melky Cabrera on the playoff roster last year...even though he very well could of been the best hitter on the team not named Posey, they didnt want him there because his presence was bad for the team. That is Johan Franzen for us. If he can just loaf aroind constantly without any reverberation, i dont see our other floaters acting like they care either. The last few years the only guys that really looked to me like they desperatly wanted to win in the playoffs were Datsyuk, Helm, and Howard. Thats gotta change before we can believe the improbable.

It will be exciting! We get to see how our young guys and new leadership respond to this type of adversity.

This. It will be an interesting change of the script for us. I'm anxious and excited to see how things develop. I hope our young guys step up and become a prominent role on this team for years to come.

Believe

:)

Edited by Wingsfan72