• Please log in to reply
312 replies to this topic

#181 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

All of my friends (mostly Leaf fans) are already claiming the streak is finally coming to an end. I really want to make the playoffs.
It might be my homer glasses, but I think if we sneak in 8th we can upset the Blackhawks.
Here's hoping!

#182 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:15 AM

It is win win situation for the fanbase really:

some want the streak to go on - would win in that scenario

some want a better big - would win if the Wings miss

The most bipolar fanbase in all of hockey can claim whatever they want, I couldn't care less.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#183 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:27 AM

All of my friends (mostly Leaf fans) are already claiming the streak is finally coming to an end. I really want to make the playoffs.
It might be my homer glasses, but I think if we sneak in 8th we can upset the Blackhawks.
Here's hoping!

If you're listening to anything that a Leaf fan has to say regarding the playoffs, you're doing it wrong.

Kindly remind them that our playoff streak is old enough to drink in the United States, then drop the mic, and back away with your arms raised. 

Posted Image
Posted Image

#184 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

Wings seem kinda confident as well.  I received an email today inviting me to purchase my playoff tickets.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#185 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:28 PM

Here's hoping!

We have as much of a chance to beat the Hawks as the Leafs have of beating the Bruins.  It CAN happen.   I wouldn't bet money on it, but I actually believe we can take down the Hawks.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#186 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Here's hoping!

I hope we make it in to keep the streak alive but c'mon ... really?  Beat Chicago, you guys are really homeres.  If we do make it in at 8th spot, it will be a very very quick exit, maybe in 5 ... or 4.  

#187 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

I hope we make it in to keep the streak alive but c'mon ... really?  Beat Chicago, you guys are really homeres.  If we do make it in at 8th spot, it will be a very very quick exit, maybe in 5 ... or 4.  

We played them to OT and SO, people see that 7-1 game and think were f***ed. That game was a straight fluke.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#188 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,280 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Playoffs tickets being advertised on the Wings website. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#189 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

I gotta agree, I think the Wings will get in, but it will be a first round exit if we play Chicago

#190 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

This season will be somewhat of a success if the Wings make the playoffs and keep the streak going. Winning a round would be a bonus in my opinion.

#191 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:01 PM

To all the people predicting a Chicago beating, do I need to remind you of the 2006 Oilers? or the 2003 Ducks? or even the 1994 Sharks and 2001 Kings? We've been on the receiving end of so many first round upsets that I'm surprised some of you are so pessimistic. Maybe it's finally our time to be Cinderella. Get in and anything can happen, even beating the almighty Hawks.

Edited by stevie for president, 11 April 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#192 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:30 PM

To all the people predicting a Chicago beating, do I need to remind you of the 2006 Oilers? or the 2003 Ducks? or even the 1994 Sharks and 2001 Kings? We've been on the receiving end of so many first round upsets that I'm surprised some of you are so pessimistic. Maybe it's finally our time to be Cinderella. Get in and anything can happen, even beating the almighty Hawks.

Of course anything CAN happen but you got to be realistic.  You forgot the 2011-12 LA Kings, but they had an underperforming roster all season and got it going on all cylinders just before playoffs.  I think what we see of our team right now is what you're going to get ... we are pretty well performing to the level of our roster of players.

How about we talk again after Friday night.   

Edited by RedWingsRox, 12 April 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#193 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:00 PM

Wings only dropped 4.2% with this shootout loss to 56% chance of making the playoffs. Its not the end of the world, but that could come tomorrow. Sportsclubstats has a worst case scenario of the Wings dropping to 47.9%, or jumping all the way up to 71.2% likelihood of making the playoffs, all decided by the end of the day tomorrow. 

I really don't want to see less than a 50% chance on that board. 

#194 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,847 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:38 AM

I feel like this is the first time I'm looking at the remaining schedule for the Detroit Red Wings and trying to predict points we can/should/have to have... and also looking at the teams right behind us in the standings and actively wanting certain teams to win or lose.  Frustrating.  I want our playoff streak to continue.  I won't lose my s*** if it doesn't, but it would be a nice consolation prize for this transitionary season.

That being said:

We need to BEAT Chicago tonight.  No well fought game into OT or ANOTHER shootout.  A goddamned WIN.

Nashville needs to get a least a point from Dallas tonight.

Calgary, c'mon Calgary!  Have some pride, find some fight... beat Phoenix tonight!

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#195 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

This is nuts. My friend has been a LA Kings fan for the last 20+ years and I've watched him go through this down to the wire playoff race for years. Talk about role reversal. Now I understand it.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#196 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:46 AM

I feel like anything can happen if we make playoffs, but I'm starting to worry. Wings haven't won a big game to catch up/close a gap in the standings/widen a gap all season. They don't seem to play with any urgency.

Then again, they should be geared up to play Chicago. Win tonight, and playoffs are looking good.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#197 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Unfortunately, this completely ignores several things with THIS Wings team and what it does good and what it does very badly.

compare those teams and how they played to this Wings team and how it plays (style-wise) and you'll see an enormous difference.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#198 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:33 AM

Playoffs + Tatar with Datsyuk = Cup

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#199 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

If you're listening to anything that a Leaf fan has to say regarding the playoffs, you're doing it wrong.

Kindly remind them that our playoff streak is old enough to drink in the United States, then drop the mic, and back away with your arms raised. 

They also went an ENTIRE CBA without making the playoffs.

I feel like anything can happen if we make playoffs, but I'm starting to worry. Wings haven't won a big game to catch up/close a gap in the standings/widen a gap all season. They don't seem to play with any urgency.

Then again, they should be geared up to play Chicago. Win tonight, and playoffs are looking good.

To play with urgency, one must skate with urgency.  No sense of purpose whatsoever.  It doesn't help that Z looks like he's hurting bad right now.  Groin issues this year, back issues in the past.  It's like he's got tar on his skates.  And i'm not blasting him, he's my favourite player, but he's not a difference maker right now.  If we actually win the next 5 games, sit him until playoffs if we lock up at least 8th.

Playoffs + Tatar with Datsyuk = Cup

esteef

+ Howard standing on his head 60 mins each game.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#200 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

Or how about the 2012 Kings, which had crap credentials heading in and were an "underdog" in all 4 rounds?  That's the thing, the Playoffs aren't a "crapshoot" in the way the single-elimination NCAA tournament is, but it is "The Second Season" for a reason, and what happens in those two months doesn't necessarily correspond to what we saw in the regular season.

While people rip teams like Calgary that push for that 8th spot but "never bottom out", the reality is you really want to be in the Playoffs.  There's tons of examples of teams that made unexpected runs when they didn't even seem to be that good...'96 Panthers, '03 Wild, '06 Oilers, '12 Predators.  Either they came together, rode a hot goalie, or whatever.  You WANT to be in the Playoffs.

As messed up as this team is, I absolutely don't assume they'd be one-and-done.  And since Chicago will be in a difference conference, it'd be great to see that matchup one last time.

Edited by StormJH1, 12 April 2013 - 12:48 PM.