• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsRox

Concerned - we might not make it in to the playoffs

Rate this topic

It's very possible we will miss the playoffs.

Nothing's changed since the beginning of the season tbh.

We either make the playoffs and lose quickly to someone and all the "we will make the playoffs" sayers will have their say.

Or

We miss the playoffs and of the "we aren't making the playoffs" sayers will have their say.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing)

I was thinking the same thing. If I was betting on it, I'd put money on the Wings making the playoffs, but if we miss the playoffs (other then my wallet being lighter :lol:), I don't think it's a big deal. I wouldn't mind a mid to high draft pick to add to this young team. Plus it would mean a mid to high 2nd round pick, and we always do really well in the 2nd round.

Edit: If people want to see changes, maybe a playoff miss would bring the changes they want?

Maybe it would put in persepctive that it's younger, faster NHL than before. I personally don't belive that Cleary, Bert, and Sammy will be back next year. I know some people out there will say but they have that veteran leadership. But Hank, Pav, Kronner, and Mule have all been down that playoff road and knows what it takes to win,and beside Cleary, Bert and Sammy are old. Bert is most likely the slowest player on the team and has been injury prone that last couple of seasons. Sammy, same there, he's not like he was back in 08 with our cup run, and Cleary, he's just old .

It's going to be a very interesting off season for the wings this year...

Exactly.

If you go to this website they simulate the results of everygame and currently have the Wings at a 72.7% chance to make it. The simulation is based on the teams with the better record beating the teams with the lesser record and it is weighted in favor of the home team.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

Even though Edmonton is in 8th right now, their chance of making it is only 42%.

It is now down to 59.7% to make the playoffs..........................se what I did there? :blind:

Some GMs I think it the latest was Burke were often quoted saying "whats the point of making the playoffs just get swept in the first round?" and I agree with that. Yes, the unbelievable streak is nice but if an ended streak will lead to a better draft pick and therefore a cornerstone to a rebuild, I'd say go for it.

I mean do some guys here really want to see this team getting swept by the archnemesis Chicago Blackhawks? Personally I don't, their tank to win fanbase would brag about it endlessly and given that the Detroit Red Wings are moving to the east next year, there wouldn't even be a chance for revenge anytime soon. I am not trying to be overly pessimistic just a realist thinking longterm.

At some point gotta face reality, the big 4 (Hawks, Kings, Blues, Ducks) + even Minnesotta are just superior teams this season.

It's not the end of the world if the streak ends. All non-playoff teams have a shot at the 1st overall pick, and regardless this would be our highest draft pick since we took Marty Lapointe 10th overall in 1991. I just wish Kenny would've shopped Flip and White and even Quincey. More draft picks and cap space for next season is never a bad thing. Oh well, hopefully he can get something for Q or Flip's right at the draft.

Playoffs or not, I would highly consider trading 40, 55, and 93 if you can. They're only going to get older and slower moving forward, unfortunately. Move them while they still have value. Decide between 14 and 21, one stays one gets moved. Sign 35 to no more than 2 years. DO SOMETHING DRASTIC..in a good way.

Playoffs or not, I would highly consider trading 40, 55, and 93 if you can. They're only going to get older and slower moving forward, unfortunately. Move them while they still have value. Decide between 14 and 21, one stays one gets moved. Sign 35 to no more than 2 years. DO SOMETHING DRASTIC..in a good way.

There are some bad GMs in this league, but I don't think any of them are dumb enough to touch Franzen's contract. And I think trading Z and Kronner is a little excessive with all the promising prospects that could help turn this team back into cup contenders around in 3 or 4 years. I would have loved to see them trade Flip, Q, and White and waive Cleary, get some picks maybe a prospect or two, and see what you really have in Tatar, Nyquist, and DeKeyser. Instead, now you get to watch Flip and White walk out the door for free this summer, and if you don't buy out Franzen and hopefully Samuelsson if he isn't injured, you'll probably end up having to waive Tatar or Nyquist (hopefully they'd waive the right guy this time, not like with Meech and Quincey 4 years ago). You can't keep letting talent walk away for free and still expect to be good, but sadly that's been the Red Wings M.O. since the 2009 cup loss.

The Blues are about the bounce the Wings down to 8th, they're 1 point behind with two games in hand. Good thing we play them on Sunday, then. Big game at stake.

Also breathing down the Wings' necks...

EDM (no games against remaining)

CBJ (no games against remaining)

PHX (game against on 4/22)

NSH (game against on 4/14 and 4/25)

I'm not liking this at all.

Stop posting please.

There are some bad GMs in this league, but I don't think any of them are dumb enough to touch Franzen's contract. And I think trading Z and Kronner is a little excessive with all the promising prospects that could help turn this team back into cup contenders around in 3 or 4 years. I would have loved to see them trade Flip, Q, and White and waive Cleary, get some picks maybe a prospect or two, and see what you really have in Tatar, Nyquist, and DeKeyser. Instead, now you get to watch Flip and White walk out the door for free this summer, and if you don't buy out Franzen and hopefully Samuelsson if he isn't injured, you'll probably end up having to waive Tatar or Nyquist (hopefully they'd waive the right guy this time, not like with Meech and Quincey 4 years ago). You can't keep letting talent walk away for free and still expect to be good, but sadly that's been the Red Wings M.O. since the 2009 cup loss.

In around 3 or 4 years our top stars will be between 35-38 years old. I just feel as though the time is now to make a move with these players. Its most definitely high risk high reward, but whats worse than watching these players age and decay while the league continues to stampede forward? What happens when their point production drops down to 3rd and 4th line average numbers in the next few years? Guys like Flip, Cleary, Emmerton, Sammy, Eaves, Miller, Quincey, White...THEY HAVE NO TRADE VALUE. NONE! Zetterberg and Kronwall in a package deal could land multiple draft picks, multiple young top forwards and defensmen. Blow up the core, build a better one.

How can you motivate players that have already won cups, gold medals, and Conn Smythe awards? I love these players as much as the next Wing fan, but their best years are all behind them. Z and Dats won't benefit from playing with any of the players we have in the minors or else they would have already been playing with them. And won't it suck watching Datsyuk leave without getting any sort of compensation? Good players benefit from playing with good players. And outside of our underachieving core, we have no impact players players. The core is losing a step every season and they are struggling now without any support. Imagine how they will look in 2-3 years if no help is brought in to take over the workload? Good players don't spend half their 20's in the minors over ripening, which leads me to believe that there isn't much high end talent coming through our pipe line in terms of offense. Sometimes you gotta trade away what you have, to get more of what you need and moving forward it seems like they need a lot more than what they have.

Edited by MibJab

Guest Playmaker

I don't disagree with this. It'd be heartbreaking not to have an NHL playoffs without the Wings, but I think if they make the playoffs, Holland will be able to spin it about how good this team is and how much depth they have and what a great decision it was not to make trades at the deadline, etc.

The Blues are about the bounce the Wings down to 8th, they're 1 point behind with two games in hand. Good thing we play them on Sunday, then. Big game at stake.

Also breathing down the Wings' necks...

EDM (no games against remaining)

CBJ (no games against remaining)

PHX (game against on 4/22)

NSH (game against on 4/14 and 4/25)

I'm not liking this at all.

Here's the thing about that though. They all play one another multiple times. They will knock each other out the Wings have to get at least 13 points in their final 12 games. Shouldn't be too difficult

Here's the thing about that though. They all play one another multiple times. They will knock each other out the Wings have to get at least 13 points in their final 12 games. Shouldn't be too difficult

You have to factor in three point games though too.

If the Wings lose a game, even if Edmonton and Columbus play each other that same night it's possible they can both gain ground on Detroit.

I tend to think it would actually be BETTER in the long run were this team to miss the postseason, the record be damned. Missing the postseason means that heads would actually roll for a change. I think. Maybe.

I think Holland would just play the injury card.

someone should do the math, look at everyone's schedule and who has the best shot at making it.. there used to be a site that does that, cant recall..

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

According to this site, the chance to make the playoffs are:

Chicago 100%

Anaheim 100%

LA 98.5%

Vancouver 97.5%

San Jose 93.5%

Minny 91.5%

St. Louis 83.0%

Detroit 62.6%

Edmonton 27.4%

Columbus 19.0%

Phoenix 17.0%

Nashville 6.9%

Dallas 3.2%

Calgary 0.1%

Colorado 0.0%

Rooting for one's team to lose says more about the fan than the team.

For some of us, it's not so much rooting against our team as being ok with them missing the playoffs for the greater good of the team. Getting a higher pick in not just the 1st round, but for the other 6 as well would do us some good. Getting a top 10-15 pick could be huge this year, and then 40-45 instead of the usual 25 and 55.

Rooting for one's team to lose says more about the fan than the team.

I sometimes hope my children fail at things so they can realize the path they are taking is not going to lead to long term success. I also hold out hope that I am wrong. I hope I am wrong about the direction the Wings are headed, but it is hard for me to see them trending any direction than down right now. This trend has been going on since they lost to the Pens in the Cup finals without any discernable plan to change the trend. Like I said...hope I am wrong