• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingsRox

Concerned - we might not make it in to the playoffs

Rate this topic

I would love to see a first round series against Chicago. Not sure the Wings would win, but it would be great fun to watch and a good way to end an era.

From a coachig perspective, the regular season's all about your team and the system, the playoffs are about the other team. And Babcock's a good series coach.

Chicago's deep, confident, strong, and on their game, but their D and goalie aren't great and can be exploited. I'd like to see what Babcock comes up with. Doesn't mean I think they'd win, but if they make it in I'm not going to write them off just yet.

I hope it happens.

Well, Columbus beating Minnesota in a shoot out is the worst possible outcome from a Wings standpoint (SAT night) Wild get a point in front of us and another team right behind us gets two.

Hockey media can't wait to dance all over the corpse of the Red Wings...really don't want to give them the pleasure.

Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, Columbus beating Minnesota in a shoot out is the worst possible outcome from a Wings standpoint (SAT night) Wild get a point in front of us and another team right behind us gets two. Hockey media can't wait to dance all over the corpse of the Red Wings...really don't want to give them the pleasure. Sent on iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep and right now the tie breakers are all going against Detroit as well. Detroit loses all tie-breakers to Columbus if the records are the same I think. Right now the only reason by Columbus is behind Detroit is because they've played one more game.

It will probably come down to that last game against Dallas on the road, both teams have won once against each other and only play a total of 3 times - not exactly a situation I feel comfortable with....

Edited by BuckeyeWingsfan80

Guest Crymson

Yep and right now the tie breakers are all going against Detroit as well. Detroit loses all tie-breakers to Columbus if the records are the same I think. Right now the only reason by Columbus is behind Detroit is because they've played one more game.

It will probably come down to that last game against Dallas on the road, both teams have won once against each other and only play a total of 3 times - not exactly a situation I feel comfortable with....

For purposes of deciding final standings, ROW is the first tiebreaker. The Wings have 17, and the Jackets have 14.

I would love to see a first round series against Chicago. Not sure the Wings would win, but it would be great fun to watch and a good way to end an era.

From a coachig perspective, the regular season's all about your team and the system, the playoffs are about the other team. And Babcock's a good series coach.

Chicago's deep, confident, strong, and on their game, but their D and goalie aren't great and can be exploited. I'd like to see what Babcock comes up with. Doesn't mean I think they'd win, but if they make it in I'm not going to write them off just yet.

I hope it happens.

I agree 100%. Im curious on who they run with from here on out, but one thing is for sure lady luck has not been on their side in a while so I'm pretty sure she due for a visit...and I dare say it's the perfect time.

For purposes of deciding final standings, ROW is the first tiebreaker. The Wings have 17, and the Jackets have 14.

Well there are 8 teams ahead of us in points and ROW, so this is how many angels can dance on a head of a pin.

that's not what ESPN says: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?page=nhl/tiebreakers

And if the Jackets are able to catch up in that regard in either case, it won't matter because the Wings will be going golfing instead of the playoffs anyway.

Honestly, at this point, missing the playoffs might be what this franchise needs to shake up the paradigm and get the staleness of the roster and attitude out of the way.

If you're not playing to win the Cup, you're doing it wrong. Just to make the playoffs for some silly streak is not enough.

Guest Crymson

that's not what ESPN says: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?page=nhl/tiebreakers

And if the Jackets are able to catch up in that regard in either case, it won't matter because the Wings will be going golfing instead of the playoffs anyway.

Honestly, at this point, missing the playoffs might be what this franchise needs to shake up the paradigm and get the staleness of the roster and attitude out of the way.

If you're not playing to win the Cup, you're doing it wrong. Just to make the playoffs for some silly streak is not enough.

Note that I said final standings. Every team will have the same number of games played at the end of the season, making line #1 irrelevant for the purposes of tiebreaking. And were the Wings to have played the same number of games as the Jackets as of today, they'd still currently be ahead of that team in the standings.

It's obviously true that the Blue Jackets will be ahead of the Wings in the standings if they've got a greater number of points.

Well there are 8 teams ahead of us in points and ROW, so this is how many angels can dance on a head of a pin.

There are seven teams ahead of the Wings in ROW, and San Jose is not one of them.

Edited by Crymson

Note that I said final standings. Every team will have the same number of games played at the end of the season, making line #1 irrelevant for the purposes of tiebreaking. And were the Wings to have played the same number of games as the Jackets as of today, they'd still currently be ahead of that team in the standings.

It's obviously true that the Blue Jackets will be ahead of the Wings in the standings if they've got a greater number of points.

still playing site contrarian I see....

This is looking pretty bad. Dallas on a roll and Columbus right behind them. I'm finally getting concerned here. I would only be comfortable with us missing the playoffs if we won the rest of the games from here on out. Then at least it wouldn't be for a lack of trying.

Oh! The joys of being "right" and "wrong" on internet discussion boards! :glare:

Whether we have a numerical advantage once all the games are played to hold on to that last and final eighth seed spot is not what is going to kill me in the next two weeks. It's the fact that we will, in all likelihood, be counting points until the final day and praying that the numerical advantages fall our way.

I am quite concerned. We do still control our own destiny since we face dallas the last game.....

looking at the schedules as well I would say Detroit has an advantage over Dallas's schedule and definitely an advantage over Columbus.

hopefully it works out.

I am quite concerned. We do still control our own destiny since we face dallas the last game.....

looking at the schedules as well I would say Detroit has an advantage over Dallas's schedule and definitely an advantage over Columbus.

hopefully it works out.

Given the Wings tendency to crap the bed against teams they should beat, I wouldn't necessarily say they have an advantage. Not until they prove they can bear down & win the games they're supposed to.

I watched both games last night. Dallas made SJ look like an AHL team in the first period. They lost their legs a bit in the 3rd but Dallas looked very strong.

Columbus....I don't even know what to say....Bobrovski honestly looks like he could be in the convsation for the Vezina. I think early in the season, everyone looked at the Jackets as a basement dweller team who would do nothing as per usual. Once they got some solid goaltending this team found their identity.

They have a lot of confidence right now and they should. We need 4 points in the next two games.....2 or 3 won't do. CBL want to show Nash and Carter they don't want and don't need them. Dallas wants to remind Roy and Riberio the same thing. We want to keep the streak alive and believe that ANYTHING can happen in the playoffs...you just have to win. Let's hope everyone on the Wings roster plays every shift, takes every hit necessary to make a play, blocks every shot they can and finds a way to find the back of the net. Like I said in the Chicago game day post, we will find out exactly the character of this team in the next two games. I wonder what we are really made of.

Hell Im not satisfied with making it in as and 8th..... I want a 6th seed and the Canucks round one......we need to get hot right now and rattle off 4 or 5 in a row.

Of course the Blues will probably roll the Hawks today thought!

If we make playoffs, there's always a chance Datsyuk or Franzen will explode, and with the right matchuos this team could go to the second round, maybe Conference finals. Just so long as we don't meet Minnesota or Chicago. I just have a bad feeling about those two teams matching up against the Wings.

Guest Crymson

still playing site contrarian I see....

I fail to see how pointing out an inaccuracy in your reporting qualifies me as a contrarian.

This is looking pretty bad. Dallas on a roll and Columbus right behind them. I'm finally getting concerned here. I would only be comfortable with us missing the playoffs if we won the rest of the games from here on out. Then at least it wouldn't be for a lack of trying.

All this "x is on a roll" talk annoys me. Contrary to popular opinion in this thread, streaks are not self-perpeptuating, quite the opposite in fact. Sure, Dallas have won 5 straight, doesn't mean they're going to win their last 7 and go on a 12-0-0 run to finish the season. The 5 games before their win streak they were 1-4-0, and no doubt all the Stars boards were full of "ZOMG!! FIRE THE GM!! FIRE THE COACH!! TRADE EVERYONE!!" threads.

Now all the fans are in here bricking themselves becase Dallas and Colombus have exactly the same number of points as us and this somehow proves that they are infinitely superior and will surely beat us out of a playoff spot.

And if we have exactly the same number of points as Columbus and Dallas, that means we must be beating the teams that are beating them? Your point?

Look, its going to be tight, the difference is probly going to be one team going 4-2-1 as opposed to 3-2-2, but if Dallas and CBJ were so amazing, they wouldn't be in 8th and 10th with the same number of points as us

Edited by Nev