• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Travis

Winter Classic 2014 announcement Sunday at Joe Louis Arena

Rate this topic

The NHL is expected to announce the 2014 Winter Classic this Sunday during a media availability and unveiling at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, according to an announcement by the league on Thursday morning.

The press release explains that an NHL special event press conference will be held, along with a jersey unveiling. The press conference is scheduled to begin at 10:30 a.m., ET.

Obviously, this leads one to believe that the league is planning to formally announce that the Winter Classic will be hosted by the Detroit Red Wings.

Due to the lockout, the 2013 Winter Classic was canceled. It was originally scheduled to be played at the University of Michigan's football stadium between the Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs. According to multiple reports -- including a reported admission from Detroit general manager Ken Holland -- the 2014 Winter Classic will be held in the same venue, between the same teams.

In addition, the jerseys expected to be worn by both teams were believed to be leaked last month.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/4/4/4182998/winter-classic-2014-maple-leafs-red-wings-jerseys

Here's the thing now though...

I've heard speculation that there could be more than one outdoor game next year and I'm fairly certain the NHL would like to do that. Mainly because Leafs/Wings is not anyhting near a marquee matchup. I can see them setting up an LA/Vancouver game or something. This is another reason why Kenny dropped the ball over the last year. Who wants to watch the Leafs run over our worst team is 20 years at home? Our team will be on the biggest stage possible for the NHL and this is the team Kenny is throwing out there...awesome.

Also...if they are doing the jersey unveiling, they are probably using the ones leaked a few months ago. I think the really screwed that up too. Here's to hoping things brighten up a bit...

This was already a done deal, just an official presser I guess. Will be cool to know what the jerseys look like, maybe we can get some beforehand and wear them to the game. They probably are the ones that were leaked, but didn't they spell Kronwall wrong on one of them, like Kronwell or something? That's the only reason I would think they might not be those.

Here's the thing now though...

I've heard speculation that there could be more than one outdoor game next year and I'm fairly certain the NHL would like to do that. Mainly because Leafs/Wings is not anyhting near a marquee matchup. I can see them setting up an LA/Vancouver game or something. This is another reason why Kenny dropped the ball over the last year. Who wants to watch the Leafs run over our worst team is 20 years at home? Our team will be on the biggest stage possible for the NHL and this is the team Kenny is throwing out there...awesome.

Also...if they are doing the jersey unveiling, they are probably using the ones leaked a few months ago. I think the really screwed that up too. Here's to hoping things brighten up a bit...

Got a source? I'm pretty sure they will have two NHL outdoor games:The Winter Classic and The Heritage Classic.

This was already a done deal, just an official presser I guess. Will be cool to know what the jerseys look like, maybe we can get some beforehand and wear them to the game. They probably are the ones that were leaked, but didn't they spell Kronwall wrong on one of them, like Kronwell or something? That's the only reason I would think they might not be those.

Got a source? I'm pretty sure they will have two NHL outdoor games:The Winter Classic and The Heritage Classic.

No he's right. Bettman came out and said that due to the lockout they wanted to give the fans something to REALLY talk about. It included 2 more games besides the Winter Classic at the big house. They were in talks to bring one on the west coast, and one on the east coast. Basically, I just don't understand it because we already got "Hockey Day in America" and that's all the Winter Classic is going to become if we add in numerous games. YES, OUTDOOR HOCKEY DAY IN AMERICA. LUVS IT. :nono:

Guest irishock

In retrospect I would rather have the game in 2014 than 2013, since we're going to be in the same division next season.

Uncle Gary, make an announcement that really matters

"We are here to announce that the Phoenix Coyotes have been sold to the CDN group, which will subsequently be moved to Quebec City."

No he's right. Bettman came out and said that due to the lockout they wanted to give the fans something to REALLY talk about. It included 2 more games besides the Winter Classic at the big house. They were in talks to bring one on the west coast, and one on the east coast. Basically, I just don't understand it because we already got "Hockey Day in America" and that's all the Winter Classic is going to become if we add in numerous games. YES, OUTDOOR HOCKEY DAY IN AMERICA. LUVS IT. :nono:

Well, who doesn't like a watered down product? I know when I open up a Dr Pepper I pour half out and fill it back up with tap water.

Just received the following e-mail from the Wings:

The NHL and the Detroit Red Wings invite you to watch a special announcement live Sunday, April 7th at 10:30 am. You may watch live via this link or through their mobile ap. Excerpts will be shown during NBC's broadcast of the St. Louis game.

Refreshed and got sound - best news thus far is 24/7 will do a "Road to the Classic" and will be televised in Canada on Sportsnet. Kenny just said they're pressuring both Lidstrom and Yzerman to play in the alumni game. Lids was expected, but I'm surprised about Stevie. There will be 2 alumni games - over 90 players signed up to participate.

Refreshed and got sound - best news thus far is 24/7 will do a "Road to the Classic" and will be televised in Canada on Sportsnet. Kenny just said they're pressuring both Lidstrom and Yzerman to play in the alumni game. Lids was expected, but I'm surprised about Stevie. There will be 2 alumni games - over 90 players signed up to participate.

I think it would be a slap in the face to the fans if he didn't play in the alumni game.

Edited by Hockeymom1960

Any chance the Wings could bring in Homer next season as a special adviser for the sole purpose of getting him face time on 24/7?