• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

I'm all for keeping Cleary because he has heart, but give the dude 4th line minutes. He cannot compete like he used to and he is just too beat up to try and play top minutes. Sammy and Bert are a waste of cap, I would have rather splurged their combined salary and got a big body power forward. It is what it is.

#22 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

I'm all for keeping Cleary because he has heart, but give the dude 4th line minutes. He cannot compete like he used to and he is just too beat up to try and play top minutes. Sammy and Bert are a waste of cap, I would have rather splurged their combined salary and got a big body power forward. It is what it is.

I agree on Cleary.  We all trashed him because he can't handle top line minutes, but he's still a good checker or fourth liner.  Bertuzzi isn't a waste of cap space.  Right now, because he's injured he might be, but nobody but Datsyuk has hands like Bertuzzi up close to the net.  He's not 100% all the time, we need his reach, his hands and his every-3rd-game-or-so-offense.  

Bertuzzi is like Holmstrom.  He has a very specific role on this team.  He's not necessarily a 1st liner, but he belongs on a 1st line with Datsyuk.  He is what Babcock is trying to make Cleary and Abdelkader into.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#23 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:51 PM

I agree on Cleary.  We all trashed him because he can't handle top line minutes, but he's still a good checker or fourth liner.  Bertuzzi isn't a waste of cap space.  Right now, because he's injured he might be, but nobody but Datsyuk has hands like Bertuzzi up close to the net.  He's not 100% all the time, we need his reach, his hands and his every-3rd-game-or-so-offense.  

Bertuzzi is like Holmstrom.  He has a very specific role on this team.  He's not necessarily a 1st liner, but he belongs on a 1st line with Datsyuk.  He is what Babcock is trying to make Cleary and Abdelkader into.

Tatar has better hands than Betuzzi, but I see what you're saying.

#24 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

Not trying to be a jerk, but...are we honestly expecting Bert back this season? Last I heard, he was yelling at his legs for being too slow. :confused:

Don't Toews me, bro!

#25 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

Not trying to be a jerk, but...are we honestly expecting Bert back this season? Last I heard, he was yelling at his legs for being too slow. :confused:

Well a few days ago they said he'd be ready in a week and a half.  So unless something changes, yes he is expected back.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#26 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:21 PM

Crazy!

Don't Toews me, bro!

#27 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

Move Brendan Smith to forward. He's a trainwreck defensively, we could use his size, skill, and speed up front. We have plenty of defensemen.

#28 Number19

Number19

I like our team

• PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:56 PM

I wouldn't mind Bert's big body in the playoffs. Sammy can stay on the bench.

#29 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

Move Brendan Smith to forward. He's a trainwreck defensively, we could use his size, skill, and speed up front. We have plenty of defensemen.

Brent Burns 2.0?

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#30 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

Brent Burns 2.0?

That's where I got the idea from, San Jose did it because they needed offense why not us, we need size on the forward en? I'm just throwing it out there really not going to happen, but he's got good offensive skills, great speed, good size. Just hasn't played defense that well this year.

Never going to happen, but would be interesting to see him because I think he's trying to do too much and makes too many bad decisions defensively, where if he's a winger he could get some more freedom. Does anyone know if he ever played forward in college or before?

Edited by Carman, 05 April 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#31 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,692 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:25 PM

That's where I got the idea from, San Jose did it because they needed offense why not us, we need size on the forward en? I'm just throwing it out there really not going to happen, but he's got good offensive skills, great speed, good size. Just hasn't played defense that well this year.

Never going to happen, but would be interesting to see him because I think he's trying to do too much and makes too many bad decisions defensively, where if he's a winger he could get some more freedom. Does anyone know if he ever played forward in college or before?

no idea (i don't think so). I think its better if he develops his D abilities though - even if he is a liability from time to time for a bit.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#32 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,873 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:41 PM

He's only played 40 games in the NHL, only 26 of which have been this season.  And he's playing with a defensive corps that is very hit or miss from night to night. 

I think it's early to give up on his career as a defenseman. 

#33 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

He's only played 40 games in the NHL, only 26 of which have been this season.  And he's playing with a defensive corps that is very hit or miss from night to night. 

I think it's early to give up on his career as a defenseman. 

Oh I agree.

But I'm not just basing it off his NHL play, he was the same way in the AHL and college. He's always been a risk taker.

His value is higher as a defenseman no doubt. But if he's getting sat and gets passed up by deykeyser, lashoff, kindl etc. rather than sitting him I'd like to see what he could do offensively. You can't say you aren't curious what he would look like with his size, speed and puck skills playing in the top 6:)

It way too early to even talk about it, but I do see similarities between burns and smith that's what caught my attention.

#34 Kira

Kira

"I hope you're not from KGB"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:09 AM

Well, you know the old saying, you gotta dance with those who brung ya.

Posted Image

#35 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:53 AM

Oh, the fun of puns! I say to re-evaluate our position on Smith and you say move him to forward! I love it!

And that is not sarcasm. Seriously. I'd love to see what he could do at forward, but he has too much potential as a defenseman. He's really the only one in our system that has #1 ability. Sproul and Ouellet are great #2 options for the future, but Smith is the big dog in that race.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#36 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 08:37 AM

I think San Jose was more inclined to roll Burns upfront because he was drafted as a forward. He just holds more value on the back end. I don't believe Smitty played up front ever in his career so it would be harder for him. I know you're not being 100% serious but floating the idea, I just wanted to add a little more to it!

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#37 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

I cannot believe we're talking about the Detroit Red Wings and our options for how to not suck involve moving Smith to forward and Franzen to center, Flip to wing, and Abby to whatever, etc. etc. etc. 

I"m as bummed about this team as I've been in a long time.  It'sf****** obvious that we simply don't have enough competitive hockey players on a nightly basis, yet rather than get any (for three years in a row) we'd rather retread old guys, move guys away from their natural positions, and call up the youngsters (all at one, and for only a few games at a time). 

Oh I forgot...and then we wait, and hope, and pray, that our saving grace will come back to us.  "Darren Helm is our deadline acquisition".   Right.  Can't wait for that offensive dynamo to kickstart this team. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#38 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

I cannot believe we're talking about the Detroit Red Wings and our options for how to not suck involve moving Smith to forward and Franzen to center, Flip to wing, and Abby to whatever, etc. etc. etc. 

I"m as bummed about this team as I've been in a long time.  It'sf****** obvious that we simply don't have enough competitive hockey players on a nightly basis, yet rather than get any (for three years in a row) we'd rather retread old guys, move guys away from their natural positions, and call up the youngsters (all at one, and for only a few games at a time). 

Oh I forgot...and then we wait, and hope, and pray, that our saving grace will come back to us.  "Darren Helm is our deadline acquisition".   Right.  Can't wait for that offensive dynamo to kickstart this team. 

It's just a post on the internet, I'm not really expecting Smith to move to forward. Nor am I saying it would a good or right move.

I'm just assessing the situation right now in my head, we are small up front, and will need a bigger body to play bigger minutes as forward for the future right? I mean having Abdelkader as a top line forward just doesn't excite me much, I don't know about you. Smith has skill, he has speed, he has size, yet it just hasn't shown up yet on the defensive end this year. He looks like he's playing his the weight of the world out there right now, I'm only saying if he continues to play like this for more than just this year.

#39 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

It's just a post on the internet, I'm not really expecting Smith to move to forward. Nor am I saying it would a good or right move.

I'm just assessing the situation right now in my head, we are small up front, and will need a bigger body to play bigger minutes as forward for the future right? I mean having Abdelkader as a top line forward just doesn't excite me much, I don't know about you. Smith has skill, he has speed, he has size, yet it just hasn't shown up yet on the defensive end this year. He looks like he's playing his the weight of the world out there right now, I'm only saying if he continues to play like this for more than just this year.

I understand what you're saying and share your concerns.  I too think that Smith has been abysmal on defense this year.  I only commented to say that it's sad how far we've fallen when our options come down to speculating on moving a bad defenseman to forward.  But I guess that's the situation we're in until this summer (at the earliest) and I don't see it changing so I guess I'm just going to have to live with it.  That and wonder how the hell it came to this. 

#40 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,999 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:32 PM

I understand what you're saying and share your concerns.  I too think that Smith has been abysmal on defense this year.  I only commented to say that it's sad how far we've fallen when our options come down to speculating on moving a bad defenseman to forward.  But I guess that's the situation we're in until this summer (at the earliest) and I don't see it changing so I guess I'm just going to have to live with it.  That and wonder how the hell it came to this. 

Welcome to the club. There's a mini-bar in the corner over there. :sleepy:

Don't Toews me, bro!