• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
JPT

Fear of the East?

Rate this topic

I've seen quite a few posts referencing how we will be in trouble next year moving to the Eastern Conference and playing some tough, physical teams. I was skeptical and wanted to see how we've stacked up in the recent past. Now I know that these stats were with #5 on the blue line but its not like he made us all that physical so here goes.I also included out record against the existing NE division

2011-2012 season: 10-7-1 against the East, 4-2 against the NE

2010-2011 season : 12-4-2 against the East, 6-0 against the NE

2009-2010 season: 9-6-3 against the East, 4-2 against the NE

Just for kicks against the big bad Bruins:

November 3, 2009 2-0 W
February 11, 2011 6-1 W
February 13, 2011 4-2 W
November 25, 2011 3-2 W SO
I know past success is not a prediction of the future but I think people's fears playing in the East are overblown. I think a lot of people think of the team as "soft" and its true that the Wings don't hit like other teams and aren't as physical...but they can still win!
Moral of the story, no matter what conference, everyone always needs a big, physical scoring winger. We aren't getting one so we go to war with what we have.

I think the real key to success in the East (specifically the Northeast) is smart puck movement and speed. Look at how small Montreal's forwards are, and yet they've done well this year. It might be a little difficult the first couple years, getting some of the older bodies out, but the younger guys with fresh legs will likely be effective.

We're also not the type to be physical. Dats is physical. Kronner is (if he wants) and abby, helm and toots. Maybe a versatile power forward can give us that edge in the east.

I'm a franzen hater so i just wish we can swap him for someone with balls and does not stop skating after the first shift

I think the fears stem less from direct records and more from just the style of play fro teams like Boston and Philly. They try to rough you up. And while our short term record may be good against them, it will definitely have an effect towards the end of the year.

I think the fears stem less from direct records and more from just the style of play fro teams like Boston and Philly. They try to rough you up. And while our short term record may be good against them, it will definitely have an effect towards the end of the year.

And the Ducks and Blues haven't done this to the Wings for years? To a lesser extent, the Sharks' cycle game has killed us. There are big/nasty teams in each conference.

Not sure how we fare now.

In the past, teams like Boston wouldn't be caught dead playing a guy like Shawn Thornton against us. It would be a waste of a roster spot and nothing good would come of it.

We are still that type of team mostly: there aren't guys on this team that will LOOK to mix things up. I remember right after they had a big brawl with Dallas, Brad Marchand tried to get Eaves to drop the gloves (we were blowing them out) and Eaves just smirked and skated away and they got the two minutes.

Tootoo notwithstanding.

Yeah I agree. I think the cumulative grind, night in and night out, will have an effect over the course of 82 games. But I think the learning curve is short on these types of things so I don't expect it to be an issue for longer than a season.

I don't think the Wings should fear the east but one thing is for sure, they need to add grit and a top enforcer before joing the East. Using the Habs as an example is not a good one, because it is a .) a shorttened season and b.) when games are getting tough, the Habs won't be able to overcome playoff intensity so they are looking at a first round exit.

I think O Byrne would have been a nice addition especially for such a low price.

Hopefully the front office tries to sign Horton. Playing for Boston the past few years I think could help transition the other guys as far as play style in that division. He knows what to expect from all of those teams.

We were a better team in past years. These previous records mean nothing.

I do see teams like Boston, Toronto or Philly trying to bully us. It's just part of hockey and getting an edge against rivals. Hopefully, we'll have some different management in place in the future, to handle that kind of thing.

What would be awesome is having a fourt line with just fighters. Put em out every start of a period against the top line. No head hunting just push em around a bit.

Or even after the team scores...we'll be the Detroit 'dread you'll see Red' Wings.

pg2hockey_i.jpg

What would be awesome is having a fourt line with just fighters. Put em out every start of a period against the top line. No head hunting just push em around a bit.

Or even after the team scores...we'll be the Detroit 'dread you'll see Red' Wings.

I like that idea and it will be cheap and doable:

Mcgrattan: 600k

John Scott: 600k

Patrick Bordeleau: 500k

Throw them out against the tougher teams in the east and you can be sure, the opponents would quickly decide to bring a more cleaner game to the table :) only the Penguins with Engelland and MacIntyre would be able to somewhat stand a chance against this line.

Edited by frankgrimes

We'll need to beef up a bit, considering we'll be playing the likes of Boston, Toronto, and Philly more often.

If we head into next year with virtually the same roster as this year, we're gonna get knocked around. We need a legitimate power forward to round out the top 6 and we need a snarly defensemen that clears the crease.

I like that idea and it will be cheap and doable:

Mcgrattan: 600k

John Scott: 600k

Patrick Bordeleau: 500k

Throw them out against the tougher teams in the east and you can be sure, the opponents would quickly decide to bring a more cleaner game to the table :) only the Penguins with Engelland and MacIntyre would be able to somewhat stand a chance against this line.

George Parros would be nice. If nothing that glorious moustache could lead us to victory!

We'll need to beef up a bit, considering we'll be playing the likes of Boston, Toronto, and Philly more often.

If we head into next year with virtually the same roster as this year, we're gonna get knocked around. We need a legitimate power forward to round out the top 6 and we need a snarly defensemen that clears the crease.

Looking very much forward to seeing how McKee develops. He's a nasty individual by the sounds of it.

We'll need to get bigger, stronger, nastier, more durable. Helm's scaring me a bit. Bert's body is failing him. Sammy is officially more injury-prone than Colaiacovo. Franzen is Franzen.

I like our bottom six, actually. And our D seem to be handling themselves pretty well, all things considered.

I guess if I'm worried about any component, it's the top six. We really do need a legitimate power-forward.

It'll be fun watching kesler cry like a little baby whenever he gets pummled.

Or Crysob.

But thing is when the whistle blows the pushing stops...and no retaliation from the goons...strictly when the clock is running. This will drive teams nuts

Moving to the east will present issues to us long term. When we play a LAK or even the blues now, it is 1 tough physical game out of maybe 10. In the east it will be 6 or 7 out of ten. It will wear our smaller players down. I expect us to start out well next year, bringing more speed to the game than most teams in the east can handle. But once the pounding sets in and the nagging injuries came about-which those will, we will have issues. Big guys with nagging injuries are still big. Speed guys with nagging injuries are targets. That is where thigns will matter. No we are not going to get "beat up" by every team dropping the gloves on us 5 times a game. that isn't the issue. It is the long term wear and tear of playing in a more physical conference.