245 replies to this topic

#221 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

Dear Coach Babcock,

As a man in your position, HEAD COACH, you are supposed to put the TEAM you oversee in the best possible position to be able to WIN. Sometimes in doing so that involves having to make HARD DECISIONS with respect to personnel. At some point, players who are simply floating, going through the motions, not making anything happen, etc need to be put on notice that this type of play is simply not acceptable. As a proud charter franchise of the National Hockey League, the Detroit Red Wings seek to continue the proud tradition that has been bestowed upon this great franchise.

If these decisions involve removing certain veteran players from the lineup in favor of younger players, who are working their butts off in the minors, please do realize that it is best for the TEAM and that it puts them in a favorable position to WIN. 

Case in point, you tell the media that players have to earn ice time. That's fine and dandy when comes to wanting players to compete at the highest capable level, but at what point do you not see that players such as Dan Cleary and Johan Franzen generally have a huge case of turnoveritis and therefore are jeopardizing the betterment of the TEAM? I understand that injuries are a part of this equation to a certain extent, but when a player such as Tomas Tatar has put up as many points as Cleary in roughly half the amount of games, does that not get noticed? Does he need to rot away some more in the minors before it becomes too late and he jets off to another franchise (Or the KHL)? Also, the constant lack of any SPEED in the lineup is absolutely killing any momentum at different times during the game. I know Darren Helm has been out due to an injury, but the general lack of footspeed (Especially from a few of the goats that dress every game) seems to result in a game plan that makes life for an opponent easy to defend. 

Another issue is the lack of strength and testicular fortitude to go to the dirty areas of the ice and pay a price to make a play. Way to often is there a lose puck in the vicinity of the goal that is easily pounced on the by the opposing team simply because too many players are unable to fight through a check and get their noses dirty when needed. Other times when the puck is in a battle along the boards, how many times do we need to see 1 opposing player come out of the scrum with the puck while we have several players engaged in said battle? How many times do I need to see a player such as Valterri Filppula go along the boards and simply get breathed on hard and cough up the puck? The way the game is played now a days, there needs to be instances in which you have to make it harder on the other to play against you instead of the usual ole ole crap that takes place way way to often. 

In conclusion, the fans of this team want to see them succeed each and every night that they pull the sweaters on with the big Winged Wheel crest in the middle. This is not a business in which feelings need to be accounted for when it involves fully grown adults who make extremely high salaries. If a member of the team is not getting it done, then it becomes time to give them a reality check that what they are doing is not working. If that involves sitting a veteran player for a player who is chomping at the bit then that is a decision that needs to be made in order to put the TEAM in the best position to WIN each and every night they take to the ice. All in all, I have the utmost confidence in your abilities as a HEAD COACH, but at times the general logic of in game decisions (i.e. using dead end line combinations, strategy decisions regarding the offensive zone, etc) is baffling.

As a fan of, IMHO, one of the greatest hockey franchises to grace this earth, please please make the HARD DECISIONS that will allow for the highest chance of success each and every night.

Sincerely,

MotorCityMadness

(And fans of the Detroit Red Wings everywhere) 

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#222 Aznknight

Aznknight

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:16 AM

No emotion...it's like they still think lids is on the back end to bail em out

#223 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:42 AM

Babcock needs to make a decision with the D within the next couple games. We cannot keep switching the D up every game like this... we need the 3 pairings to play together consistently to develop chemistry going down the stretch. Personally, I think that making THREE changes to the Defense tomorrow is a very bad idea... that is just too many changes and is going to throw things off. So Babs needs to decide ASAP on what the eff he wants to do.

As for forward lines:

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Abdelkator

Franzen- Filpulla- Miller (I think he earned top minutes and I dont get why he was replaced by Cleary)

Simply put, we need Pavel and Hank together because no other lines have worked consistently. 

Once Brunner is back, and if Bert comes back within the next week or so then we can see:

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Bertuzzi

Franzen- Fil- Brunner

Now that is a solid top 6.

#224 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:54 AM

^ Solid top 6. Brunner needs to come back. He's played better than most of the roster, and has been putting up assists consistantly.

#225 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

As requested, pictures.  I stopped taking pictures of the game when we started sucking.  Sorry for s***ty quality.

Warmups.  Good luck, Cleary.  We all know you need it.

Wings4-4-134_zps549006f4.jpg

Zetterprofile :wub:

Wings4-4-136_zpsc09eb6f2.jpg

Coca Cola pulled his groin immediately after this picture was taken.

Wings4-4-137_zps2df83ef3.jpg

Gametime!  Opening faceoff:

Wings4-4-133_zpsa93af080.jpg

It's my Toots in a box!  My Toots in a box, baby...

Wings4-4-132_zps44183a5c.jpg

Franzen doing...whatever it is that he does best.

Wings4-4-135_zps9422a756.jpg

Kronner's sick of your s***, refs.

Wings4-4-138_zps2ae2a2e4.jpg

Whatever.  LGW.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

Just look at how he hangs his sunglasses from his banana hammock in that last pic.  This guyf****** rules. --kipwinger

#226 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

they suck that is all, lost to a team full of plugs and a backup goalie

bless Datsyuk but the team is not good

i hope im wrong on this but goodnight sweet playoff streak

Edited by Yak19, 05 April 2013 - 01:32 AM.

#227 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

Has this team overcome a deficit this entire season? I honestly can't remember a come from behind win. 

Doesn't feel like it. Certainly not many instances of coming back from 2 goals down. More than 2 goals down and then winning can't have happened once this season can it?

No firepower offensively. Part of it is the lack of Lids on D, we miss a guy who can get some decent shots from the point, giving us rebounds and deflections.
And part of it is having no Bert, no Tatar, no Helm, no Brunner this game..

#228 Aznknight

Aznknight

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:34 AM

No Holmstrom, Lidstrom , Stuart, Bert, Helm, Draper, Maltby, Mccarty, Chelios, Shanahan, Hull, Hasek, Larionov, Yzerman etc.
Name a team that has lost half that hall of fame firepower in the last 10 yrs, not have any top picks and can still play with the best of em.

I love being an underdog. If We make it to 8th, we've positioned ourselves in to playing the Hawks in the first round. I haven't been this excited since 97 when we faced the avs and there was norhing certain other than only one team will emerge victorious.

I always believe...

#229 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:53 AM

"lots of shots form the perimeter and zero emotion!  this is gonna be easy, guys!"

This is so sad... Because it is true.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#230 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

In the modern Conference-era of the League, there's only been two seasons with fewer than 100 goals scored after 37 games...and this is one of them.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#231 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:42 AM

As requested, pictures.  I stopped taking pictures of the game when we started sucking.  Sorry for s***ty quality.

Warmups.  Good luck, Cleary.  We all know you need it.

Wings4-4-134_zps549006f4.jpg

Zetterprofile :wub:

Wings4-4-136_zpsc09eb6f2.jpg

Coca Cola pulled his groin immediately after this picture was taken.

Wings4-4-137_zps2df83ef3.jpg

Gametime!  Opening faceoff:

Wings4-4-133_zpsa93af080.jpg

It's my Toots in a box!  My Toots in a box, baby...

Wings4-4-132_zps44183a5c.jpg

Franzen doing...whatever it is that he does best.

Wings4-4-135_zps9422a756.jpg

Kronner's sick of your s***, refs.

Wings4-4-138_zps2ae2a2e4.jpg

Whatever.  LGW.

Franzen was picking his nose there dude.  It got stuck for a few shifts.

they suck that is all, lost to a team full of plugs and a backup goalie

bless Datsyuk but the team is not good

i hope im wrong on this but goodnight sweet playoff streak

That's why I refer to many of our players as "line-up tampons".  All they do is stop a little of the bleeding and fill a hole.  The girls may not enjoy this analogy, but can admit it's truth and it's comparison for some of our guys.  We sign Danny D and he gets to watch some Red Wing hockey, although not exactly what he grew up watching.  Coliacovo is a line-up tampon and his spot belongs to Dekeyser, whom Holland asked to join the team to make it better.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#232 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,134 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:56 AM

I fear we suck.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#233 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:13 AM

Has this team overcome a deficit this entire season? I honestly can't remember a come from behind win. 

Didn't we overcome a 3-0 deficit to win 6-3 at some point this year?

Babcock needs to make a decision with the D within the next couple games. We cannot keep switching the D up every game like this... we need the 3 pairings to play together consistently to develop chemistry going down the stretch. Personally, I think that making THREE changes to the Defense tomorrow is a very bad idea... that is just too many changes and is going to throw things off. So Babs needs to decide ASAP on what the eff he wants to do.

As for forward lines:

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Abdelkator
Franzen- Filpulla- Miller (I think he earned top minutes and I dont get why he was replaced by Cleary)

Simply put, we need Pavel and Hank together because no other lines have worked consistently. 

Once Brunner is back, and if Bert comes back within the next week or so then we can see:

Zetterberg- Datsyuk- Bertuzzi
Franzen- Fil- Brunner

Now that is a solid top 6.

Every time we get in trouble people want to reunite the Eurotwins. But they are separate players now and for whatever reason they don't play as well together as apart.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#234 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

To add insult to injury, a friend of mine went to the game and told me the yotes had about 5 players playing with the flu.  They had puke buckets on the bench.  She said Wings couldn't even beach a bunch of gusy hurling between shifts?

#235 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

That coyote howl is the most annoying sound in the entire NHL.

Ok, but tied with it is that idiot who bellows "POWER PLAY!!" with the Blue Jackets.  Ok, I think it's them/him.  I try to repress the whole thing.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#236 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

daniel_cleary_image02.jpg

I know this is after the fact, but I've always liked Cleary.  He is a warrior.  I believe he's one of the few who plays UP to his ability.  He does NOT back down. He has saved two goals in the past three or four games.   And he scored another goal last night while other Wings either stood like statues during power plays or made iffy, cutesy passes; or just did not play like a team.  They mostly reacted instead of acting.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#237 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:59 AM

I still get very frustrated seeing glimpses of Mules abilities....he had a couple moves last night that had me on edge of my seat but I digress.

I know this is after the fact, but I've always liked Cleary.  He is a warrior.  I believe he's one of the few who plays UP to his ability.  He does NOT back down. He has saved two goals in the past three or four games.   And he scored another goal last night while other Wings either stood like statues during power plays or made iffy, cutesy passes; or just did not play like a team.  They mostly reacted instead of acting.

Dannys heart desire and motor fused with Mules body and skills!!! If only:)

#238 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:05 AM

Franzen was picking his nose there dude.  It got stuck for a few shifts.

That's why I refer to many of our players as "line-up tampons".  All they do is stop a little of the bleeding and fill a hole.  The girls may not enjoy this analogy, but can admit it's truth and it's comparison for some of our guys.  We sign Danny D and he gets to watch some Red Wing hockey, although not exactly what he grew up watching.  Coliacovo is a line-up tampon and his spot belongs to Dekeyser, whom Holland asked to join the team to make it better.

You're damn right we don't appreciate the analogy. What the hell do women have to do with men not playing their game well?  Clean it up.  Now.

#239 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:39 AM

I still get very frustrated seeing glimpses of Mules abilities....he had a couple moves last night that had me on edge of my seat but I digress.

Dannys heart desire and motor fused with Mules body and skills!!! If only:)

Danny is our Rudy. If only all of our players had his heart....

Edited by atodaso, 05 April 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#240 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,134 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

"We weren't nearly good enough. Something something something," said Kronwall.

Don't Toews me, bro!