• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingedominance13

Nyquist thoughts

Rate this topic

I feel like the last couple games Nyquist has been the only one with his motor going. He is consistently getting a significant scoring chance. While we have been struggling he has been the only refreshing thing to watch. Should he get moved to the top six or is he going to be most beneficial where he is?

I would love to see..

Nyq-Z-Brunner

..but at the same time, he's playing effectively where he is now and maybe that's because of the lines he's matched up against..? I think he'll stay where he is for now and end up in the top 6 most of next season.

I dunno about you guys but does anyone wanna just go pure skill in the top six for just a game to see what happens?

Nyquist- z- franzen

Fil- pav- brunner

I just wanna see what would happen

That would give us a lethal checking line of Abby andersson and Cleary. I honestly like that idea. Put Abby and Cleary back to doing what they should be. Forechecking defense and looking for scrappy goals

That would give us a lethal checking line of Abby andersson and Cleary. I honestly like that idea. Put Abby and Cleary back to doing what they should be. Forechecking defense and looking for scrappy goals

Ya exactly. Like honestly I don't hate Abby I think he's pretty good, and he works hard but he isn't a first line player. If we ever do get healthy I wouldn't mind trying these lines, just to at least try out.....

Nyquist-z-mule

Fil-datsyuk-brunner

Tatar- helm- abdelkader

Cleary/miller - Anderson- tootoo/eaves

I dunno about you guys but does anyone wanna just go pure skill in the top six for just a game to see what happens?

Nyquist- z- franzen

Fil- pav- brunner

I just wanna see what would happen

i would like to see that but unfortunately, as we all know, what we'd like to see from babs and what we actually see usually don't line up..

Tatar, Datsjuk, Filppula

Nyquist, Zetterberg, Brunner

Cleary, Helm, Bertuzzi

Miller, Emmerton or Abdelkader, Franzen

Would like to see that tested because Mule really has to skate better. He's way too lazy at the moment. Can't accept that. Unfortunately that would never happen.

Edited by poel

Brunner needs to play with Z. He's most effective when they're both on the ice together. I would go with something like this:

Filpulla - Datsyuk - Franzen

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Brunner

Cleary - Andersson - Abdelkader

Miller/Eaves - Emmerton - Tootoo

If Bertuzzi, Helm and Samuelsson get back, we're really in a bind. Both Nyquist and Andersson would have to be sent down, and we would still have to open up another roster spot, meaning we'd have to do something with both Miller and Eaves, most likely.

Brunner needs to play with Z. He's most effective when they're both on the ice together. I would go with something like this:

Filpulla - Datsyuk - Franzen

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Brunner

Cleary - Andersson - Abdelkader

Miller/Eaves - Emmerton - Tootoo

If Bertuzzi, Helm and Samuelsson get back, we're really in a bind. Both Nyquist and Andersson would have to be sent down, and we would still have to open up another roster spot, meaning we'd have to do something with both Miller and Eaves, most likely.

No need to send anyone down. After the trade deadline there is no roster limit

I hate to say this, but Nyquist isn't going to make one iota of difference this season. He's a good player, but not good enough to create/capitalize on offensive chances by himself. Right now the only two people on our team that can do that are Datsyuk and Zetterberg and teams just double team the living s*** out of them every night. It's pretty clear at this point that if Dats and Z are shut down, the Wings can't beat you because while they've got A LOT of players, they've got no depth. Remember in years past when we'd lead the league in guys with 15 or more goals? Currently we've only got two in double digits and none with more than 11. That's not depth. This is why getting a goal scorer would have made a HUGE difference, imagine double teaming Datsyuk if Gaborik is on his wing. Gabby would eat teams alive with that much space. But alas.

You can't beat teams if you can't match up against them, and at this point in his career Gustav Nyquist isn't capable of exploiting a mismatch. Simple as that.

I hate to say this, but Nyquist isn't going to make one iota of difference this season. He's a good player, but not good enough to create/capitalize on offensive chances by himself. Right now the only two people on our team that can do that are Datsyuk and Zetterberg and teams just double team the living s*** out of them every night. It's pretty clear at this point that if Dats and Z are shut down, the Wings can't beat you because while they've got A LOT of players, they've got no depth. Remember in years past when we'd lead the league in guys with 15 or more goals? Currently we've only got two in double digits and none with more than 11. That's not depth. This is why getting a goal scorer would have made a HUGE difference, imagine double teaming Datsyuk if Gaborik is on his wing. Gabby would eat teams alive with that much space. But alas.

You can't beat teams if you can't match up against them, and at this point in his career Gustav Nyquist isn't capable of exploiting a mismatch. Simple as that.

Great conclusion considering the fact he hasn't even had a chance to play with Datsyuk or Zetterberg yet aside from 1 shift. No one knows if Nyquist would be able to compete or be a difference changer because he hasn't be given a chance.

This is the exact same situation that happened in Toronto with Nazem Kadri. Ron Wilson played him on the third and mostly fourth lines other than that he wasn't allowed to play for the Leafs and was buried in the minors. This year under Randy Carlyle you now see what Kadri is capable of doing playing with good players. Not saying Nyquist will be top 10 in scoring but you don't know what you have if you don't play your players with the proper players.

Great conclusion considering the fact he hasn't even had a chance to play with Datsyuk or Zetterberg yet aside from 1 shift. No one knows if Nyquist would be able to compete or be a difference changer because he hasn't be given a chance.

This is the exact same situation that happened in Toronto with Nazem Kadri. Ron Wilson played him on the third and mostly fourth lines other than that he wasn't allowed to play for the Leafs and was buried in the minors. This year under Randy Carlyle you now see what Kadri is capable of doing playing with good players. Not saying Nyquist will be top 10 in scoring but you don't know what you have if you don't play your players with the proper players.

I think you're misunderstanding me, I'm not knocking the guy. What I'm saying is that Nyquist, like Brunner, is a good player but who doesn't currently have the ability to create offense alone. There's a place on teams for guys like that, but to defend them, all you have to do is shut down the workhorse. By stopping Zetterberg you also stop Brunner. Same goes for Nyquist, he doesn't create offense himself, and therefore putting him with Datsyuk would do the same as putting Brunner with Z. Stop the main guy and you stop the other guy too.

Think about other good lines in hockey, or good players and you'll understand what I'm saying. Double team Ryan Getzlaf and see if Corey Perry doens't tear you up, or Bobby Ryan or whoever. They create offense all by themselves.

Nyquist is just young, that part of his game will develop, but it hasn't yet at the NHL level.

By having two guys on a line that can "do it themselves" when necessary, you open ice up for everyone because it becomes too dangerous to double team anyone and leave the other guy open. Right now nobody is afraid to leave Nyquist, Brunner, Franzen, Cleary or Abby open by double teaming Z or Dats. They figure "if the other guys can beat us then let them". Obviously they can't.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, they should put Tatar with Datsyuk. That kid has shown that he can, and will, beat you if you give him space and time. Nyquist, not so much.

Edited by kipwinger

Ya exactly. Like honestly I don't hate Abby I think he's pretty good, and he works hard but he isn't a first line player. If we ever do get healthy I wouldn't mind trying these lines, just to at least try out.....

Nyquist-z-mule

Fil-datsyuk-brunner

Tatar- helm- abdelkader

Cleary/miller - Anderson- tootoo/eaves

I always wonder why so many put tootoo on the last line. He has one heck of a shot to be wasted on the last line with scrubs. a tootoo helm abby line would be awesome i think.

Saying Nyquist isn't really NHL-ready is silly.

I think the big problem is...well I'll show you (since I love doing this so much):

Brunner

Datsyuk

Filppula

Franzen

Nyquist

Zetterberg

All of our high-end players are subtle variations on the same damn player. Practically our entire top six corps - I mean the guys who really do deserve to be in the pool (and I do count Nyquist among them) - is softish, smallish, Euro playmakers.

I think of Selanne. Is he really that good (and indeed, maye he is)...or does he benefit a whole lot from having a pack of bulldogs around him, creating space for him, wearing down the opposition for him? I feel Nyquist would do well in a similar situation.

So, what I'm saying is: NHL-ready, and potentially lethal...just not in Motown. Maybe.

We'll see. (Or we won't.)

Edited by Dabura

I didn't see the game last night (thank f---), did Babcock really play Abs on the first line? That's ridiculous

He's been on the 1st line for 5 games .

nyquist is very talented and nhl ready, the problem is, when you only get a couple games in the nhl at a time and they constantly move you around, you really don't get a chance to prove your worth, or get your feet wet. What we have seen the past few games, is what I believe to be the NHL Nyquist

There was one shift, it was recent, against the Avs. I think. If memory serves, we were bumbling around in our own zone. General stupidity and laziness and a touch of sheer incompetence. But then, Glory Be to God, Nyquist got ahold of the puck and, all of three seconds later, he was tearing into the o-zone like some kind of human missile thing. I don't remember what happened after that, but I'll tell you what, I'm generally very cynical, pessimistic about this team, and so it takes a lot for me to go, "Wow." And I went "Wow." It made me realize how slow of foot - and teeth-gnashingly namby pamby - we generally are. It was refreshing. It was pretty awesome.

There was one shift, it was recent, against the Avs. I think. If memory serves, we were bumbling around in our own zone. General stupidity and laziness and a touch of sheer incompetence. But then, Glory Be to God, Nyquist got ahold of the puck and, all of three seconds later, he was tearing into the o-zone like some kind of human missile thing. I don't remember what happened after that, but I'll tell you what, I'm generally very cynical, pessimistic about this team, and so it takes a lot for me to go, "Wow." And I went "Wow." It made me realize how slow of foot - and teeth-gnashingly namby pamby - we generally are. It was refreshing. It was pretty awesome.

This exactly why he is such a highly touted prospect, because this is what he does. Everyone around here seems to go crazy when a rookie doesn't come out of the gate like a bat out of hell, and isn't our immediate saviour. Players take a little time to adjust and adapt to the NHL.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, they should put Tatar with Datsyuk. That kid has shown that he can, and will, beat you if you give him space and time. Nyquist, not so much.

This is what killed me about Babs when Tatar was up and the Cleary-Dats-Abby line went 0-fer game after game after game...after game...

esteef