Nyquist thoughts

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,609 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

The guy has played completely different this time up..he has used his speed more which is his biggest asset  He is playing like he doesnt want to go back to GR this time which is refreshing. Over handles the puck sometimes but so do other guys on this team.  Hope he keeps it up

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

#42 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

He has a good shot.

#43 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

I don't disagree with a lot of what you're saying.  We are terrible at putting players in a position to succeed.  Certainly Nyquist is more skilled than most of our players.  And definitely Franzen, Clearly, Abby, (and I'd add Filppula) don't create any offense either.  What I'm saying is that whether Nyquist is in the lineup or not won't matter because our entire team is made up of guys who can't take a game over, minus Dats and Z.

If teams can stop them then we lose. 

Look at last night.  We played a horrible team, and yet got dominated for much of the game.  We won (barely) because Datsyuk and Zetterberg rose to the occasion.  Nyquist had a nice goal for sure, but our season hangs on whether D or Z can win a game for us.  Hell even the s***ty Colorado announcers accurately spelled out our game plan.  Late in the game they said, "Detroit is just looking to hang on until overtime and then put the game on Datsyuk and Zetterberg's shoulders", which is exactly what we did.  I'm glad it worked out, but it won't against good team.

So, for the millionth time...Nyquist is a good player, maybe one day he'll be a game changer, but he's not right now and therefore having him in the top six or not will make no difference as far as how well this team performs this season.

excellent response.

i do think having him in the top 6 this year would make it more effective. i think datsyuk would benefit from having another creative offensive player on his line. and the reason why is exactly what you are saying; if you shut down datsyuk that first line is terrible. neither of the other players step up. i think nyquist is young and creative enough to take the extra space given from everyone focusing on pavel, and do something with it.

and the added benefit is getting him in the top 6 will make him a better player down the road which benefits the team in the long run. so i guess, even if its a wash this season, it would still be worth it to get him in there and not waste another year of development. heck, think back to last year, he played pretty well down the stretch and all the talk in the offseason was how there was no chance he would be in grand rapids... but yet this year has been mostly wasted with misuse.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#44 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

^ I don't think he's being misused. Sure he's spent most of the year in GR, but it hasn't hurt his development or the organization.

Think about it. Has Nyquist look like a poorly developed prospect? Also, he's dominated the AHL and is a big reason why GR have done so well this year, and now he's here helping the big club. Double win IMO.

Seems like they've actually done well with bringing Goose along.

This is me being positive and optimistic. But whatevs.

Edited by rick zombo, 06 April 2013 - 01:53 PM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#45 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

He's looking better every game. I woulda traded him a few games ago. Not anymore future looks good with Tatar and nyquist

#46 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:37 PM

^ I don't think he's being misused. Sure he's spent most of the year in GR, but it hasn't hurt his development or the organization.

Think about it. Has Nyquist look like a poorly developed prospect? Also, he's dominated the AHL and is a big reason why GR have done so well this year, and now he's here helping the big club. Double win IMO.

That would imply Holland and Babcock know what they are doing, but thats impossible.... or is it?

#47 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

Has a chance to be a real solid playmaker, I think. Don't see him getting a full-time spot next year, unless Bert/Sammy are injured (likely) or bought out (less likely). I'm really liking the way he's using his speed, though, as a few of you have already mentioned. Real good hands, too.

#48 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

another reasonable response.

however, had we not had extremely bad luck with injuries, nyquist would have probably never saw nhl ice this year.

i know its a cop out to play the what if game, but i do feel this is a situation that it applies. there were once again a ton of guys on 1 way deals and nyquist had to go down because he had waiver exemption.

having been an ahl fan for many years and a former season ticket holder, i have seen many times where guys stagnate in the ahl because they were there too long. even though they dominate, there isnt much to be gained after a while. has that for sure happened here? we don't know for sure either way yet. i just worry it is yet another example of it happening to wings prospects.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#49 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,922 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

Nyquist needs to be given at least 3rd line minutes, if not 2nd line minutes going forward.  Youth and energy are what this team needs to break up the staleness of the roster.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#50 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

I really like Nyquist on the second line.  He has made the team better.  Now the problem is lack of offensive ability on the third line lol.  So maybe it would be better to play him there?  Idk, just kind of ironic.

#51 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:49 PM

Red Wings have top talent (Z and P) but our two other best forwards (Flipulla and Franzen) don't show up most games. Flipulla has been better than Franzen. The secondary scoring on this team is not terrible, but our top two lines just suck.

3rd liner - Datsyuk - Franzen (lazy)

3rd liner - Zetterberg - Flipulla (lazy)

If your going to just randomly stick someone on those lines, you should at least put someone with some descernable talent. Tatar and Nyquest are at least fast and motivated. Cleary randomly scores goals sometimes. Aby had one amazing game, but isn't a top line player.

Change the god damn lines, the Wings can't score, they haven't been scoring for a while.

#52 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

Tatar is good, but he is not a top 6 guy.  Nyquist is a much better all around player.

#53 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

My favorite thing about nyquist is he seems toget one breakaway chance a game. Fun to watch. Just needs to bury a higher percentage.

#54 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

The kid needs more minutes. That's why I am in favor dumping players like Cleary, Franzen, Bert, or Sammy. These guys are not cutting it and need to be asked to produce or get out!

#55 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

Tatar is good, but he is not a top 6 guy yet.  Nyquist is a much better all around player.

Fixed.

#56 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

Poor choice of words on my part.

Selanne has always been one of my favorite players. He is a beast. But playing on the Ducks helps a lot, for obvious reasons.

No worries, thanks for the clarification!

#57 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

Red Wings have top talent (Z and P) but our two other best forwards (Flipulla and Franzen) don't show up most games. Flipulla has been better than Franzen. The secondary scoring on this team is not terrible, but our top two lines just suck.

3rd liner - Datsyuk - Franzen (lazy)

3rd liner - Zetterberg - Flipulla (lazy)

If your going to just randomly stick someone on those lines, you should at least put someone with some descernable talent. Tatar and Nyquest are at least fast and motivated. Cleary randomly scores goals sometimes. Aby had one amazing game, but isn't a top line player.

Change the god damn lines, the Wings can't score, they haven't been scoring for a while.

The Elephant in the Room (Since 2009)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#58 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:09 PM

The Elephant in the Room (Since 2009)

Umm, 2011 7th in the league, 2010 2nd in the league?

#59 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,001 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

Umm, 2011 7th in the league, 2010 2nd in the league?

This is true, but the guys responsible for that production have moved on, retired, or are declining in production.  We haven't developed a quality winger since Franzen.  Haven't developed a top defenseman since Kronwall.  Four of our current top sixers are centers, two of whom are playing out of position and were never scorers to begin with. 

We don't have the right people for the job, simple as that.  Want a scoring winger?  Draft and develop one, or trade for one.  Don't try to make Flip or Abby something they aren't.  It takes world class talent to be able to switch around like that.  Hell even Ovechkin had a serious slump when he moved from left to right wing...and that'sf****** Ovechkin (who scored twice more last night, officially proving everyone who said "he's been figured out", completely wrong).  You can't just move these guys around willy nilly and expect a miracle.  Well you can, but we've seen how that turns out. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#60 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:11 PM

Gus needs to start to burry his breakaway chances, and soon

IPB Image