• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jedi

4/5 GDT: Red Wings 3 @ Avalanche 2 (OT)

Rate this topic

I didn't catch the game so I didn't realize they moved Mule to center the second line. Maybe it will make the game enough "fun" for Franzen? :P

Franzen, who won 8-of-13 faceoffs, enjoyed the change of pace.

“Little bit more involved in the game,'' Franzen said. “Got some more pucks, a lot more skating, so it was fun.

“Try something new and get a little boost maybe.''

Franzen has been too inconsistent the past three seasons. He can score goals in bunches, but he experiences long stretches of ineffectiveness, when he's not skating hard and having little impact.

Babcock knows Franzen must be a force for this team to flourish.

“I just wanted Mule to be dominant,'' Babcock said. “I've said it to Mule, I think Mule is the X Factor on this team. He's big, he's a good player. If we can get him going at the highest possible level …“We said to him grab a line and take it. With Fil, gives him real good speed, and Gus makes good plays. I thought they were good.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/04/red_wings_coach_mike_babcock_s_4.html

We were at the game, and it was very exciting (with the exception of the 2nd). It seemed the crowd was nearly 50% Wing fans! I also met and got my picture with Mickey Redmond before the game. My sister spotted him and recognized his voice.

It was great to leave with a win! Go Wings!

I think it's great about seeing all these Wings fans at opposing arenas, especially now when they will be in the East next season.

if anyone has a few minutes to watch last night's highlights on the NHL site, its from the Avalanche feed and it's GREAT. I mean i've known about their homerism and unenthusiastic call of goals from the opposing team, but these highlights literally had me laughing out loud at how little excitement is shown when the opposing team scores, and when the Avs score you'd think they just won the Stanley Cup.

do yourself a favor and watch these highlights NOW

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20122013,2,556&navid=sb:highlights

I had actually just come here to say something about it. It was somehow hilarious and disgusting at the same time.

Guest Crymson

if anyone has a few minutes to watch last night's highlights on the NHL site, its from the Avalanche feed and it's GREAT. I mean i've known about their homerism and unenthusiastic call of goals from the opposing team, but these highlights literally had me laughing out loud at how little excitement is shown when the opposing team scores, and when the Avs score you'd think they just won the Stanley Cup.

Yep, they're awful. I'm not sure about the guy who does color, but Mike Haynes has been around since Avs moved to Colorado. He is one of the worst homers in the league. Last night's goal calls are par for the course for him.

"Datsyuuuk.... scores."

"Parentaauuu.... SCOoOoOoOoORES!!!!!!"

That's pretty much how it goes with him. What's funny is that his color commentator absolutely gushes about Datsyuk.

Edited by Crymson

Wow. My favorite part was at around 3:08 mark when he starts shouting "ITS IN". Clearly, the puck was not in and he's screaming that it's in at the top of his lungs.

Franzen at center was probably the best ive seen him play all year. Would def like to see this experimented more.

Whatever gets him to start skating, I'm all for it. He can center all 4 lines if he needs it to play well.

Top 2 lines keep them

Get rid of Quincey both goals against were his fault. Play lashoff instead

Much needed 2pts. Hope dekeyser stays in from now on. Play him any other team in the league would

Quincy missed 10 games and has to get used to the cage. It is easy to blame someone so easily, but before he was injured he was playing much better than the beginning of the season. Personally, I would like to see Babs continue with the following pairings for the remainder of the season:

Kronners- E

Carlo- Smith (I think they have potential to be a solid 2nd pairing this season given more playing time together)

Dekeyser- White (I really liked Danny D last night and I would not even mind him on the 2nd pairing. I thought him and White played extremely well together, and I like having a right handed Dman in the games so White gets my vote over Quincy at this point in time.)

The fact of the matter is, with so few games remaining, Babs needs to decide on his 6 Dmen and play them so they can get used to their partners for playoffs. That is crucial.

Guest Crymson

Top 2 lines keep them

Get rid of Quincey both goals against were his fault. Play lashoff instead

Much needed 2pts. Hope dekeyser stays in from now on. Play him any other team in the league would

Neither goal was Quincey's fault. His pinch on the first goal was not an ill-advised one, and stopping Parenteau on that second goal would have been extremely difficult. He batted the puck out of the air, so a lift of the stick would not exactly have been an option.

Reading the recaps and such, all I keep thinking is "Poor Parenteau." Guy deserves to be playing for a better club, IMHO. Could be absolutely lethal with the right linemates.

I didn't catch the game so I didn't realize they moved Mule to center the second line. Maybe it will make the game enough "fun" for Franzen? :P

*joyous

Threat? No way man. Brunners spark is nowhere to what it was in the beginning of the season. Lets just hope he can bring it back if they make it to the playoffs. Brunner was demoted to third line, that in itself says something of his play. Don't get me wrong, I like the kid, but he cant be considered a "threat" with 14 game slumps and what not.. Not to mention he lost the puck quiet a bit during the stretch..

Demoted to the 3rd line, while Abby and Cleary have remained on the 1st no matter how many games they were garbage. 14 game, goal slump, he was still putting up assists and one of only consistant offensive threats. I guess we disagree with the logic behind Babcocks "demotions" though. I will say I'd rather him on the 3rd line at the moment because I feel the top 6 has looked great,and he looks pretty damn good with Andersson as well, add Helm and that line would be ******* scary.

The Wings are slowly building themselves a hell of a playoff push roster in my opinion: Abby/Dat/Z, Flip/Mule/Nyquist, Burnner/Helm/Anderson, Cleary, Tatar, Tootoo.

Maybe, just maybe his injury might have something to do with it ?

According to several Swiss newspapers Brunner has an undisclosed leg injury. He said he's been dealing with it for a couple of weeks and that didn't feel well in practice. Will miss Colorado-game, maybe more

http://slapshot.ch.sportalsports.com...912000000.html

Maybe, just maybe his injury might have something to do with it ?

According to several Swiss newspapers Brunner has an undisclosed leg injury. He said he's been dealing with it for a couple of weeks and that didn't feel well in practice. Will miss Colorado-game, maybe more

http://slapshot.ch.sportalsports.com...912000000.html

He went on a stretch of no goals a month ago, the injury happened last week. In fact during the last western conference trip they asked babcock in an interview why Brunners goal scoring took a complete turn and babcock said "it may be due to long travel that he isn't used to from back in Switzerland. Either way, go look up Brunners stats from the beginning of the season to the past month. It's gone down hill.

Edited by kickazz

Demoted to the 3rd line, while Abby and Cleary have remained on the 1st no matter how many games they were garbage. 14 game, goal slump, he was still putting up assists and one of only consistant offensive threats. I guess we disagree with the logic behind Babcocks "demotions" though. I will say I'd rather him on the 3rd line at the moment because I feel the top 6 has looked great,and he looks pretty damn good with Andersson as well, add Helm and that line would bef****** scary.

The Wings are slowly building themselves a hell of a playoff push roster in my opinion: Abby/Dat/Z, Flip/Mule/Nyquist, Burnner/Helm/Anderson, Cleary, Tatar, Tootoo.

What game have you been watching mate? Cleary hasn't been on the first line since end of February... My take on this is, let the kid develop, lets not give him too much credit, that's when you start overrating players. Look at the stats for Redwings top point producers:

Datsyuk : 13 goals, 25 points (38 points total) in around 34ish games.

Zetterberg: 8 goals, 27 points (35 points total) in around 35ish games.

Kronwall: 5 goals, 21 assists (26 points total)

Brunner has 22 points. The last time Brunner scored a goal was April 1st, before that he hadn't scored since February 24th. Since February 24th he's only clocked in 5 assists. That's about 5 points in 16 games. In 16 games, Datsyuk's had 17 points. In those 16 games Zetterberg has had 11 points (actually 14 games since he missed two games due to injury) and Kronwalls had 13 points.The point is, Brunner was on fire from January till February 24th. Since then he's gone downhill. Maybe this rest that he's getting from the injury may help him get back into it when he returns, but by no means is Damien Brunner a threat as compared to the Euro twins, not yet anyway.

What game have you been watching mate? Cleary hasn't been on the first line since end of February... My take on this is, let the kid develop, lets not give him too much credit, that's when you start overrating players. Look at the stats for Redwings top point producers:

Datsyuk : 13 goals, 25 points (38 points total) in around 34ish games.

Zetterberg: 8 goals, 27 points (35 points total) in around 35ish games.

Kronwall: 5 goals, 21 assists (26 points total)

Brunner has 22 points. The last time Brunner scored a goal was April 1st, before that he hadn't scored since February 24th. Since February 24th he's only clocked in 5 assists. That's about 5 points in 16 games. In 16 games, Datsyuk's had 17 points. In those 16 games Zetterberg has had 11 points (actually 14 games since he missed two games due to injury) and Kronwalls had 13 points.The point is, Brunner was on fire from January till February 24th. Since then he's gone downhill. Maybe this rest that he's getting from the injury may help him get back into it when he returns, but by no means is Damien Brunner a threat as compared to the Euro twins, not yet anyway.

I know Cleary hasn't been on the top line in a few weeks, but when Brunner was 1st moved Cleary still continued to play on that line, it also was to further point out that certain players promotions and demotions can be up for plenty of debates. Nobody is saying he is equal to the Euro twins in skill but he is the 3/4 offensive threat behind them, 3rd in some eyes because Franzen can be a lazy *****, 4th because while they have the same points Franzen has it in less games. Brunner is doing just fine.

Guest Crymson

I know Cleary hasn't been on the top line in a few weeks, but when Brunner was 1st moved Cleary still continued to play on that line, it also was to further point out that certain players promotions and demotions can be up for plenty of debates. Nobody is saying he is equal to the Euro twins in skill but he is the 3/4 offensive threat behind them, 3rd in some eyes because Franzen can be a lazy *****, 4th because while they have the same points Franzen has it in less games. Brunner is doing just fine.

Incorrect. Cleary was on the 3rd line that Brunner was demoted to. Brunner was demoted in the most recent game against the Canucks, and helped soon afterward to set up a goal by Cleary.

Inconsistent play notwithstanding, I'm starting to like the lines. Even Abdelkader is growing with Datsyuk. Some really interesting combos available now. Maybe I'm starting to see the method in Babcock's madness.

Franzen at center was probably the best ive seen him play all year. Would def like to see this experimented more.

I've said it before, when Babs plays him at C it forces Franzen to skate.