Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Thinking on 2013/14 roster.

Rate this topic

Ok, for better or worse I can see the following as our opening game roster:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Damien Brunner ($3.000m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Valtteri Filppula ($5.000m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($1.500m) / Brendan Smith ($1.500m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.000m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,221,212; BONUSES: $850,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $928,788

The roster is full, the cap is almost all spent, and the forward group stinks. Old (8 players 30 or older) injury prone, and of the 5 guys that would be considered big players, 3 are done and 2 are more checkers than anything. It is also 1 forward short-most teams like to carry 14. but we have an extra Dman who could/should be moved.

On D, not a bad group overall. But we do have an extra body to move and free up cap/add a better forward.

G is all set.

The young forwards that we do have are stuck in GR. We also still have 2 buyouts that we can use. The question becomes, if you are the GM, what do you do to improve this team?

This is nonsense, no way all of these players are healthy and ready to play at the start of next season.

I'd like to see Tatar and Andersson on the roster over Eaves and probably over Helm who may or may not be healthy.

Other than that sit back, relax, and watch the fireworks fly on LGW.

EDIT: This is assuming Helm won't be ready to go, not saying replace Helm in the lineup completely with Tatar or Andersson.. before the lashing starts let me clarify that. :D

Edited by MabusIncarnate

Your lineup sadly looks like the 2013 Wings. Because of Holland, I don't foresee any significant changes. However, there will be some moves, so I don't see the roster looking exactly like the one above.

For example, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson and Eaves should not be back next season.

Fil can be had for long term with a 4.5 or 4 at the least cap hit.

Jimmy will be same. Brunner I will sign for 1.5 at 2 yrs (at most 2).

I will not pay kindl 1.5 unless it's for a year...long term maybe 1.350 for 2 yrs. Smith does not deserve a double salary.

This kind of mess is the reason why kenny did not do anything stupid this deadline.

Your lineup sadly looks like the 2013 Wings. Because of Holland, I don't foresee any significant changes. However, there will be some moves, so I don't see the roster looking exactly like the one above.

For example, Bertuzzi, Samuelsson and Eaves should not be back next season.

Who's gna trade for sammy? We signed hin for 2 yrs lol

A few thoughts:

-Compliance buyouts for 2 out of this group: Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, Colaiacovo, Gustavsson. I'd lean toward Samuelsson and Colaiacovo.

-Brunner is not worth $3M (yet) and Filppula is not worth $5M. If that's what Filppula wants, he can get it somewhere else. Brunner, I'd keep between $2M and 2.75M. I wouldn't go higher than $4M for Filppula.

-It's hard to argue $5M for Howard, he's been the team's MVP this year. If he wasn't playing this well, they would be nowhere near the playoffs. That's a good number for him, considering he's probably going to have to play 65-70 games next year.

-Barring trades, Nyquist and Tatar need to be on this roster next year. If they aren't, it's a crime. Room needs to be cleared for them, through buying out Samuelsson, letting Filppula go, or moving someone else out. Sheahan and Jarnkrok should also be given honest shots at making the team next year.

-I think the D looks good, other than buying out Colaiacovo. Kindl has shown this year that he is a capable NHL player, and Ericsson has played well also. On one hand, I'd like to see them get a #1/2 defenseman, but on the other hand, I'd like to see them continue the youth movement, even at the expense of making the playoffs for a couple years.

-As I said earlier, Howard will have to shoulder the vast majority of the load in net. They can't trust Gustavsson, he's too inconsistent. Maybe he'll be better with a training camp next year instead of the informal practices, but to me, he's been a disappointment. Mrazek should be brought up for a few games when Howard needs a break.

IMO, this summer will be a defining one for Ken Holland. His last few off-seasons and trade deadlines have not been good. The team needs to pick a direction, either trade for and sign players that will keep the Wings in (at least) playoff contention or overhaul it through a youth movement, let the prospects sink or swim, and rebuild through good drafting.

Ok now some thoughts and where and how to improve. Yes there are a few UFA's that could help, we have some guys in the minros that can help, so we need to clear out roster spots and cap. We have 2 amnesty buyouts, so use those. I would buy out Sammy-an easy choice and Franzen which is the smartest long term contract to buyout. His productions is dropping like a stone and has 7 more years on his contract. Get rid of both, which frees up 7 million per year. I also buyout/LTIR Bert. I don't think he will ever be able to play again, at least not for more than 2 or 3 games before another back issue comes up. That frees up another 1.4 million-if capGeek has the buyout rules right. I also trade Quincey, freeing up another 3.75 million. Then call up Tatar, Nyquist, Calle. This fills the roster out and leaves 9.9 million to spend, to either upgrade players/players are not ready.

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Damien Brunner ($3.000m)
Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Valtteri Filppula ($5.000m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Riley Sheahan ($0.900m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.000m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Johan Franzen ($0.000m)
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.625m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.059% of upper limit)
Kyle Quincey ($0.038m—1.0%)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,719,417; BONUSES: $1,330,000
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $9,910,583

Now this all fits andthere is a bunch of money left over. But man are the top 2 lines tiny! Plus calle will not be ready yet.Now the hard part, getting better from here.

Guest Crymson

Ok, for better or worse I can see the following as our opening game roster:

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Damien Brunner ($3.000m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)

Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.000m)

------

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,221,212; BONUSES: $850,000

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $928,788

The roster is full, the cap is almost all spent, and the forward group stinks. Old (8 players 30 or older) injury prone, and of the 5 guys that would be considered big players, 3 are done and 2 are more checkers than anything. It is also 1 forward short-most teams like to carry 14. but we have an extra Dman who could/should be moved.

On D, not a bad group overall. But we do have an extra body to move and free up cap/add a better forward.

G is all set.

The young forwards that we do have are stuck in GR. We also still have 2 buyouts that we can use. The question becomes, if you are the GM, what do you do to improve this team?

That looks exactly like the 2012-2013 lineup, and I really, really doubt you're correct.

Now things are tougher. Do we risk not resigning Filppula? His production and rumored contract demands say no. But and this is soemthing none of us know right now, is 13/14 datsyuk's last year? Knowing the answer to that question ties to Filppula in my mind.

All of our C's are small. I would like to see at least 1 big C. This team is also very very LHed. No right handed shoots on D at all, and only 2 RHed shooters in the forward group: Brunner and Tootoo. Also, like I mentioned, the top 2 lines are very very small. There should be at least 1 big body on each of those lines.

Holland talks about "rebuild". That's definitely not a bad idea. After this season, everyone will recognize that.

Top Winger 23-28 years, Datsjuk, Jurco

Tatar, Zetterberg, Brunner

Cleary, Helm, Bertuzzi

Miller, Emmerton, Eaves

Lashoff, Kronwall

Kindl, Top Defender 23-28years

Smith, DeKeyser

Howard

Mrazek

plus: White, Ouellet, Sheahan, Ferraro, Tootoo

Need Andersson and Tatar or Nyquist to add a winger to go with Pav. Would prefer to keep Tatar. Would be the perfect addition for Z and Brunner. I really like Jurco. Very skillfull player and his size is not bad. Maybe he can fit in. Otherwise let's check the other younger guys or Bertuzzi with Pav. If the younger guys step up, there's no need for Cleary and Eaves, too. But Miller and Bertuzzi should stay.

Edited by poel

Guest Crymson

Who's gna trade for sammy? We signed hin for 2 yrs lol

There's such a thing as an amnesty buyout.

Holland talks about "rebuild". That's definitely not a bad idea. After this season, everyone will recognize that.

Cleary, Helm, Bertuzzi

Miller, Emmerton, Eaves

Lashoff, Kronwall

Smith, DeKeyser

Howard

Mrazek

Need Andersson and Tatar or Nyquist to add a winger to go with Pav. Would prefer to keep Tatar. Would be the perfect addition for Z and Brunner. I really like Jurco. Very skillfull player and his size is not bad. Maybe he can fit in. Otherwise let's check the other younger guys or Bertuzzi with Pav. If the younger guys step up, there's no need for Cleary and Eaves, too. But Miller and Bertuzzi should stay.

Jurco is only 21, and isn't ready yet. 25 points in 67 games at GR is not NHL caliber. he needs at least 1 more year to grow and improve his game. Cleary had better not be back, unless it is as the 13th/14th forward because we make some moves with other players.

Now like I said, how to change becomes an issue. The UFA market is weak, which will become the norm. Everyone is going to resign their stars and the few that make it will be over priced. In fact there are only 3 UFA's in this years class that interest me: Stalberg of Chi, Clarkson of NJD, and Horton of the Bruins. But each has some issue with them. Clarkson just turned 29. yes he is a rough and tough RW that scores. But is he worth a 7 year contract? 4 or 5 years then yes I am interested. 7 years? Do we need another guy signed untill he is 36+? Horton has been very good. But he has also had 2 major concussions. yes he has stayed healthy this year. But paying 5-6 million for a guy with injury issues is risky. Stalberg has the fewest risks, but has also scored the fewest goals. he is a 20 goal per year guy, not a 30 goal per year guy like the other 2.

Now the UFA market can and will grow. Several teams are cap tight and going to have to make some tough decisions this summer. Everyone has the buyouts and those expire soon. But, most of the guys that will get dumped are going to be over 30. It will be interesting tosee how this develops.

Trades. Always a hot topic and so much fun. There are/were many guys that were rumored to be available this past deadline that didn't move. here is a list of guys that I remember and we should have some interest again:

Stafford RW 27 Buf

Couturier C 21 Philly

McBain D 25 Car

Kulemin LW 26 Tor

Ryan RW 25 Ana

Now many are expecting those guys to be moved this summer. The question becomes what can we puck together to get a couple of these guys? If tatar, nyquist, and Calle are in the minors or moved, we have 12.3 million to spend and 3 holes: 1 LW, 1 RW and 1 C. I added McBain to the list because he is a young RH shooting Dman that would fit the group of Smith, Kindl, Lashoff, and Dekeyser. If a guy like him was added plus we have Kronwall, maybe Ericsson could be moved.

But like I said, this is where things get fun and some creativity is needed.

We'll see, won't we?

I think you're right, there's no way that Holland doesn't try to make some move at the draft or in the offseason to try to make up for deficiencies in the line up. I don't see any massive moves, but hopefully something to help smooth the transition. Though I still believe this team needs a major shake up to keep it competitive in the interim.

If PK Subban is only making 2.875, why would Kindl and especially Smith command more than 1 or at MAX 1.25...

I think Holland should take a page from Montreal's playbook here and hammer out a couple of good short term, reasonable money contracts for these 2. If a guy like Subban didn't get offer sheeted, then we should have absolutely no fears of that happening with Kindl and Smith.

Franzen cap his is pretty good, even if he sucks it up most of the season. He is 5th in goals, 5th in points. The guy is a bit of a floater, but losing or Flipulla would be a huge hit to the teams already medicore offense. He consistantly scores more than 25 goals a season, and puts up 50 points.

The Wings should buy-out Sammy or Bert, and Quincey. Assuming they can't be traded or waived. The Wings can use the 6 million dollar savings on a top 3 forward.

Andersson will be our 4th line Center next year - Babs has a bromance with him, and he's the only one of our rookies to not yo-yo up and down or be benched. I wonder if the current Franzen experiment is to try him out for next season if/when we lose Flip. Emmerton will be traded/sent down/waived.

Cleary, Helm, Bertuzzi

Miller, Emmerton, Eaves

Lashoff, Kronwall

Smith, DeKeyser

Howard

Mrazek

Jurco on the 1st line : not ready yet

Lashoff top 2 : never gonna happen

T-Z-B line : too small

No toughness at all... Let's not forget that the next saison we are in east conf. which means we are going to play Boston, Philly, Rags, Pens, Leafs... physical teams.

Maybe you should ask Darren McCarty, Darian Hatcher, & Ray Whitney whether Kenny would ever use something like an amnesty buyout.

Though he re-signed Mac a few years later.

I'd be surprised if Holland bought out Sammy one year after giving him a 35+ contract with a NTC, but I guess there's always a chance.

Has everyone drank the Kool-Aid? Kenny Holland doesn't have a split personality disorder people. REALISTICALLY SPEAKING this is what we'll be looking at. Where all these bodies are going is something well have to wait and see.

Pav - Z - Bert

Fil - Franz - Brunner

Gus - Helm - Sammy

Eaves - Abby - Tootoo

Anderson

Emmerton

Sheahan(GR)

55 - 52

Smith - Quincey

Kindl - Lashoff

Colo

Dekryser (GR)

Howie

insert veteran FA cheap goalie here

Only change we could be looking at is Fil not resigning.

Is there a section for people who haven't drank the Kool-Aid? I'd love to see it. People are delusional around here. Detroit can't just rebuild on the fly.