• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Thinking on 2013/14 roster.

Rate this topic

Does anyone know if the cap is going to go Up, Down or Stay the Same for Next season? If it goes up that may help us keep a lot of our depth but be able to go after a solid UFA. There really is no-one that I'm drooling about getting as I don't believe we needs something HUGE we do need someone(s) Big that can help us but not somoene we will have to over-pay for to get. I really would prefer to keep our younger players and get them developed even more. I think that should be our biggest concern especially on D. So many of the kids are still learning and making those rookie mistakes but if we can take the time to keep them on the roster and help them get better that will help the entire team.

The cap drops from $70.2m to $64.3m next season. As of right now, the Wings have projected cap space of roughly $17.2m to spend with 18 players on the roster. In house UFAs are Howard, Brunner, Filppula, Cleary, Miller, & White. RFAs are Andersson, Nyquist, Kindl, & Smith.

If bert i on the LTIR his salary doesn't count. Other than that all other ways do. Even if a guy retires. But bert's 2 million/1 year left isn't really a problem. Nor is sammy's 3 million/1 year left. The real problems are yet to be seen: the long term deals to franzen, Z, and kronwall. Their caps are here for 7/8 more years. A time when all will be 40+ years old. Between the 3 of them it is almost 15 million per year. So if all 3 retire after say 4 or 5 years, we will be wasting 15 million per year for a couple of years. but that is down the road a bit.

I think you have to resign Filppula. He is arguably the best free agent available this year. I can see the lines looking something like this.

Nyquist-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi/Jagar/Morrow

Franzen-Zetterberg-Flip

Tatar-Helm-Andersson

Emerton-Abdelkadar-Tootoo/eaves/milller

Kronwall-Ericsson

Dekeyser-Kindl

Smith-Quincey

Colo

Lashoff

Howard

Gus

This a pretty solid lineup. However, I think Bert might be gone as well. So replace him through a trade for a young forward or a UFA.

We let Brunner walk?

I hope not.

The last position of want is a RH shooting Dman. Signing one would allow a guy like Ericsson to be moved. Right now we have 8 Dmen signed for next season: Kronwall, Quincey, Ericsson, Colaviaco, Dekeyser, Kindl, Smith, and Lashoff. All are LHed. yes Quincey should be moved, but he is not a guy that is going to bring a big return. Ericsson however is. Between the 2, they make 7 million per year, and both are UFA's in another year or so. if both are moved we need another Dman. keep Cola as the 7th and use kronwall and the 4 kids in your top 6. After this season Cola leaves as a UFA and more kids are ready at GR: Nicastro and maybe Sproul. So the farm system is ready to replace departures.

All that being said, there are 2 UFA Dman that are of interest.

Anton babcuk (spelling) of Calgary. he is 28, 6-5/200 and a RH shooter.

Bobby Sanguinetti of Car. is the other one. he is 25, 6-3/190 shoots RHed.

Of the 2, I like Sanguinetti. He is averaging 1.5 hits per game this year and does have some offensive skill. I would think a 5 year 15 million contract would get him. if were able to land him,we would have a D that looks like this:

Kronwall-Kindl

Smith (offensive)-Dekeyser (defensive)

Lashoff-sanguinetti

Colavaico

Then like I mentioned, next summer you let Cola walk and replace him with Nicastro. Summer of 2015 if Sproul is ready, then another player can be moved for more help somewhere else.

So, now let's fast forward to June 30th. Draft is done and UFA season is about to begin. We have resigned Howard, Brunner, Smith, Kindl, and Nyquist. We have bought out Sammy and put bert on LTIR. We are setting aside Ericsson, Quincey, Franzen, and helm for possible trades. if we do that we have 4 openings: 1 LW, 1 C, 1 RW, 1 Dman, and 20.6 million to spend, once trades are made. This would be our pre UFA/trade lineup:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
trade UFA ($0.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / trade UFA ($0.000m)
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / trade UFA ($0.000m) / Damien Brunner ($3.000m)
Joakim Andersson ($1.000m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m)
Riley Sheahan ($0.900m) / Cory Emmerton ($0.533m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Drew Miller ($1.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.500m)
Brendan Smith ($1.500m) / trade UFA ($0.000m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Brian Lashoff ($0.725m)
Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.000m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Todd Bertuzzi ($0.625m)
Buyout: Johan Franzen ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (0.142% of upper limit)
Darren Helm ($0.021m—1.0%) Kyle Quincey ($0.038m—1.0%) Jonathan Ericsson ($0.033m—1.0%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $44,658,171; BONUSES: $1,010,000
CAP SPACE (26-man roster): $20,651,829

Franze is listed under the buyouts due to capgeek. if we can't move him, then buy him out if need to, or keep him untill next summer.

Now we have some pieces to move and improve the team. package 1 centered around Ericsson. Package 2 centered around Helm. Package 3 centered around Franzen/Quincey.

Edited by Richdg

Last thought for tonight. Let's say we can't move Franzen and we plug him back in on the top line at LW. Then the planets align correctly and we sign sanguinetti at 3 million per. That leaves us with 2 holes to fill: C and RW, and we have 13.7 million left under the cap. We now have 2 packages to use for trades. package 1 is Ericsson and tatar and package 2 is helm and Quincey. Others like Almquivst and McCollum can be included if need be. Those 2 packages should be able to find us a quality RW and C, while leaving some cap room left over for 2014 when datsyuk, eaves, Gus, and Cola also leave.

The cap drops from $70.2m to $64.3m next season. As of right now, the Wings have projected cap space of roughly $17.2m to spend with 18 players on the roster. In house UFAs are Howard, Brunner, Filppula, Cleary, Miller, & White. RFAs are Andersson, Nyquist, Kindl, & Smith.

Let Cleary, Miller and White walk.

Howard $4.8 mil

Brunner $2.5 mil

Filppula $4.25 mil

Andersson $1 mil

Nyquist $1.7 mil

Kindl $ 2.5 mil

Smith $1.5 mil

These are what I think are realistic projections. Out of the $17.2 mil left over, that's $18.25, so I'm not sure how Kenny's gonna sign all of these guys under the cap and not lose any of the guys on that list which will be getting raises. And I did not give Flip $5 mil, and Howard just under. Once again, this is why I wish only 1 year deals were given to Sammy, Bert, Quincey and the likes of which are taking up the kids roster spots and tightening the noose on spending for a UFA this summer, of whom would need a roster spot anyways.

Let Cleary, Miller and White walk.

Howard $4.8 mil

Brunner $2.5 mil

Filppula $4.25 mil

Andersson $1 mil

Nyquist $1.7 mil

Kindl $ 2.5 mil

Smith $1.5 mil

These are what I think are realistic projections. Out of the $17.2 mil left over, that's $18.25, so I'm not sure how Kenny's gonna sign all of these guys under the cap and not lose any of the guys on that list which will be getting raises. And I did not give Flip $5 mil, and Howard just under. Once again, this is why I wish only 1 year deals were given to Sammy, Bert, Quincey and the likes of which are taking up the kids roster spots and tightening the noose on spending for a UFA this summer, of whom would need a roster spot anyways.

And that's why Kenny will use those two amnesty buyouts. I think they'll be Sammy & Cola which frees up $5.5m. Doubt it would be Q instead of Cola but that would be $6.775m that way.

If bert i on the LTIR his salary doesn't count. Other than that all other ways do. Even if a guy retires. But bert's 2 million/1 year left isn't really a problem. Nor is sammy's 3 million/1 year left. The real problems are yet to be seen: the long term deals to franzen, Z, and kronwall. Their caps are here for 7/8 more years. A time when all will be 40+ years old. Between the 3 of them it is almost 15 million per year. So if all 3 retire after say 4 or 5 years, we will be wasting 15 million per year for a couple of years. but that is down the road a bit.

Actually, it would depnd on when they retire. If they were all to retire after 4 years, the cap penalty would be about $8M for a couple years, then around $5.7M for a year, and about $3M for the last year.

The recapture penalties actually get worse the closer to the end of the deal the player is when they retire. A team is penalized for any season where the cap hit is lower than actual salary, but no benefit for any years where the cap hit is higher. A team then has to "pay back" the advantage penalty over however many years were left on the deal. If a player were to retire late enough in the deal, the cap hit could actually go up (though I'd assume at that point, a team would just bury a player rather than let them officially retire).

If Kovalchuk were to retire with one year left on his deal, the cap penalty would be $27.3M. :)

And that's why Kenny will use those two amnesty buyouts. I think they'll be Sammy & Cola which frees up $5.5m. Doubt it would be Q instead of Cola but that would be $6.775m that way.

I really don't know what's going to happen but if we have to use the amenesty buyouts on two guys just acquired last offseason...Yikes. The purpose of the amnesty buyouts (and, IMO, their best use) is to get out from underneath some of these killer long-term deals that looked like a good idea under the 2005 CBA, but now appear like long-term burdens. The one guy that really strikes me as an amnesty candidate is Mule. On the one hand, his contract is a backdiver, such that his cap hit isn't horrible. On the other hand, he's hurt a lot, and he's kind drifted into that Dany Heatley role of the guy who can maybe score 20 goals for you, but really can't be depended on as a top-line scorer. And we have a LONG way left to go on that deal (2020). His cap hit, while not gigantic, is still considerably higher than Coliacovo or Sammy, and will bruden us for much longer.

Of course for Helm to have trade value, he has to be healthy and playing. But he isn't. This is why trying to find ways to improve this team are tricky. bert, sammy, cola, and q just don't have much value via trades. But most/all sould be replaced.

Once again why I with those 3 to name a few were offered 1 year deals. But anyways, I hope you're right. Sammy and Colo have been injured the whole year basically and Colo has been mediocre when he has played. Quincey, we could at least hope to trade to a team like the Oilers or Islanders who are beyond pathetic on D.

Of course for Helm to have trade value, he has to be healthy and playing. But he isn't. This is why trying to find ways to improve this team are tricky. bert, sammy, cola, and q just don't have much value via trades. But most/all sould be replaced.

A way to improve this team is to have a healthy Helm on the team and in no way traded. He's our 3rd/4th line centre until he retires a Wing.

Tatar - Datsyuk - Nyqvist

Flippula - Zetterberg - Franzen

Andersson - Helm - Sheahan

Tootoo - Emmerton - Ferraro

Kronwall - Ericsson

Kindl - Cola

Smith - Dekeyser

I dont like Brunner. Floater. Soft.

How many games have you watched this year? Dude hustles as a constant. He's not so tough, but as I stated in a different thread, he's in his 1st NHL season against big competition and he'll benefit from a summer in an NHL weight room. I wouldn't cast him aside. He'll be retained over Emmerton for sure and would get a spot well above Ferraro and even Sheahan.

Once again why I with those 3 to name a few were offered 1 year deals. But anyways, I hope you're right. Sammy and Colo have been injured the whole year basically and Colo has been mediocre when he has played. Quincey, we could at least hope to trade to a team like the Oilers or Islanders who are beyond pathetic on D.

A way to improve this team is to have a healthy Helm on the team and in no way traded. He's our 3rd/4th line centre until he retires a Wing.

How many games have you watched this year? Dude hustles as a constant. He's not so tough, but as I stated in a different thread, he's in his 1st NHL season against big competition and he'll benefit from a summer in an NHL weight room. I wouldn't cast him aside. He'll be retained over Emmerton for sure and would get a spot well above Ferraro and even Sheahan.

How does he improve our scoring? he doesn't. helm is a great defensive C. Our D is fine overall, and will only get better as the young Dmen mature. helm is not now nor will he ever be a guy that scores 20+ goals a season. That is what we need badly. Again, to get quality, you have to give quality. Its not like the RW are short on checkers. We have those. it is scorers that we lack and size/grit that we lack. helm is none of those.

How does he improve our scoring? he doesn't. helm is a great defensive C. Our D is fine overall, and will only get better as the young Dmen mature. helm is not now nor will he ever be a guy that scores 20+ goals a season. That is what we need badly. Again, to get quality, you have to give quality. Its not like the RW are short on checkers. We have those. it is scorers that we lack and size/grit that we lack. helm is none of those.

Wow, you are severely overlooking what Helm brings to the team.

Scoring is not everything in this league, ESPECIALLY for a 3rd/4th line center who is the most integral part of the PK on the entire team. How many teams have 20 goal scorers for their 3rd line center? Those are very unrealistic expectations for a guy who is essentially the new Draper. (Draper hit 20 goals one time in his career, did that make him not valuable to the team?)

Helm will NEVER get traded, as he shouldn't. He holds faaar more value to this team than he would garner in a trade.

Best case scenario they extend Filppula and/or Jimmy for one year until the cap goes back up and then give them their paydays. But at this point you've pretty much got to re-sign Filppula no matter what. If our top six going into next season is any combination of the guys we've got right now, without Filppula, we're in real bad shape.

Best case scenario they extend Filppula and/or Jimmy for one year until the cap goes back up and then give them their paydays. But at this point you've pretty much got to re-sign Filppula no matter what. If our top six going into next season is any combination of the guys we've got right now, without Filppula, we're in real bad shape.

They still may be able to give them their paydays, just not the way they used to through longer backdiving contracts.

The new CBA has restrictions preventing that but there's no (or at least very liberal) restrictions on pay increases at the front end. So I could see a 7 year term where it's below value to help squeak under the cap the next couple seasons, then takes a significant jump up for the rest of it.

I really don't know what's going to happen but if we have to use the amenesty buyouts on two guys just acquired last offseason...Yikes. The purpose of the amnesty buyouts (and, IMO, their best use) is to get out from underneath some of these killer long-term deals that looked like a good idea under the 2005 CBA, but now appear like long-term burdens. The one guy that really strikes me as an amnesty candidate is Mule. On the one hand, his contract is a backdiver, such that his cap hit isn't horrible. On the other hand, he's hurt a lot, and he's kind drifted into that Dany Heatley role of the guy who can maybe score 20 goals for you, but really can't be depended on as a top-line scorer. And we have a LONG way left to go on that deal (2020). His cap hit, while not gigantic, is still considerably higher than Coliacovo or Sammy, and will bruden us for much longer.

See Hatcher, Darian and Whitney, Ray after the 2004-05 lockout

They still may be able to give them their paydays, just not the way they used to through longer backdiving contracts.

The new CBA has restrictions preventing that but there's no (or at least very liberal) restrictions on pay increases at the front end. So I could see a 7 year term where it's below value to help squeak under the cap the next couple seasons, then takes a significant jump up for the rest of it.

Yeah that's a good point, I hadn't thought about it. Either way I think he gets signed, and I think the eventual cap hit will be somewhere in the 4.5-4.75 million range. Which isn't bad considering his versatility and (sad as it is to say) value to a team which might very soon find itself with worse top six issues than it has now.

If Filppula is really looking for around $5 mil, he can walk. 14 points in 32 games? See ya.

Cleary has had a solid career since coming here after the lockout, but he is no longer effective. 12 points in 39 games. We need to start getting younger. Cleary needs to go.

Bertuzzi and Samuelsson need to go. Both are extremely injury-prone. We need to get younger.

Wow, you are severely overlooking what Helm brings to the team.

Scoring is not everything in this league, ESPECIALLY for a 3rd/4th line center who is the most integral part of the PK on the entire team. How many teams have 20 goal scorers for their 3rd line center? Those are very unrealistic expectations for a guy who is essentially the new Draper. (Draper hit 20 goals one time in his career, did that make him not valuable to the team?)

Helm will NEVER get traded, as he shouldn't. He holds faaar more value to this team than he would garner in a trade.

worrying about the 3rd line C, when we have other options, when we don't have 1st and 2nd line wingers is kinda the cart before the horse. We simply don't have anyone that can score 20+ goals other than Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Which is why we are struggling this year and into the future.

As of today,the RW are 21st in goals scored and 13th in goals allowed. yes Helm can help the second, but he doesn't help the first.

Edited by Richdg

Helm is the best checker we have, top 3 fastest skater in the NHL, and he has the potential to be a 20 goal scorer but he's been in a checking role his whole career. Make him the 2nd line centre and he pots 20 guaranteed. He also gets the Wings team momentum when everyone else is playing like garbage and can't get anything going. That's one of the ways he improves our scoring. Also, when teams have to chase him around and get tired it opens up more chances for our top lines jumping on to attack a dead line. It happens a lot after a Helm shift.