• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Richdg

Thinking on 2013/14 roster.

Rate this topic

The same people who complain about our prospects not being inserted into the line-up are the same ones advocating signing a 30-year old winger in David Clarkson. Not trying to point the finger at anyone in particular, but this guy is basically what Dan Cleary was 3-4 years ago. I've paid close attention to Clarkson, and the word "streaky" doesn't even begin to describe him. Burst out of the gates early, then went about as cold as Brunner did.

Let the contracts for these older players run out (Cleary, Miller, Sammy, Bert, etc.) and bring along the younger players. Why pay for a band-aid? That would just take away a spot from one of the kids. The "grass is always greener" mentality is just crazy around here sometimes. I think people just want change, no matter what that change is. This team isn't going to be that great for about two-three season... let's deal with that.

So...no to Clarkson, but yes to Cleary and Samuelsson?

how would people feel about danny briere on the cheap? he is signed for 6.5mill for 2 more seasons. I know its another old guy but he has some skill.

How does he help with our need for size and grit? No thanks.

how would people feel about danny briere on the cheap? he is signed for 6.5mill for 2 more seasons. I know its another old guy but he has some skill.

At least at the deadline, he was saying that he was unwilling to waive his NTC... Idk if that has changed or not

Guest DeGraa55

The problem is while most of us agree we want things to change. What exactly is our opinions. But I just don't see us making a splash in the free agent market. And I believe fil will be back. For how much idk.

So other then Holland using his two buyouts and not resigning the likes of cleary I just don't see many changes with free agents.

Then we get to the trading game. There's a ton of guys we all want but realistically do we think Holland will actually acquire a big name guy? Can he? Yes. Does he have the pieces? Yes. Will he make the moves needed? I personally don't think he will. I just see much change happening

Here is what I would be ecstatic seeing next season:

FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($4.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.750m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.605m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Jakub Kindl ($2.000m) / Brendan Smith ($1.350m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.300m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
OTHER
Buyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m)
Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,432,879; BONUSES: $1,170,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,037,121

I think it is safe to say that somebody will have to be amnestied. Sammy is competing with Franzen, Brunner, Bert for a RW spot and it hasn't helped that he is injured 95% of the time. Cola literally looks like a rookie out there rather than a veteran presence to help the young guys, along with his injuries he needs to go. Swapping in these two injured vets bumps the development of some of the younger players who don't necessarily play themselves out of a spot in the lineup. We need to stop with this carousel of lines and let some guys gel together for next season.

I think as a precaution for Datsyuk possibly leaving we should have Fil back and hopefully Jarnkrok up (if he takes offseason conditioning seriously) because we don't want to have another Lidstrom situation where we let Smith and the other young guys waste away in GR rather than learn from the best. After watching Jarnkrok in GR he played very well and his points didn't really show the level of play he is capable of (he kept shifts really short to start and played defence first) but he looked really shifty and quick out there. Having another top 6 centre allows us to Play Z with Dats when needed and still get some offence out of the second line when we load up.

The fourth line would be more of a 3a/3b line with a great group of energy guys that can play hard and chip in with some scoring. I feel this line is what we really missed this season. We usually have a grind line that can be counted on to go hard and not get scored on and take the puck deep in their zone and sometimes get a quick one. For reference think of the original grind line and then the Abby-Helm-Eaves line of past years.

The defence just needs time. They need time to get to know each other, develop, get comfortable, make some mistakes. We won't be landing any #1 dman likely at all so we need our young guys to band together and play some good smart simple defence. Once the defence starts clicking we will see some scoring shine through as well.

We also need to go back to dedicating forwards for the PP and PK (not both). It kills us to have Z, Dats having to PK then come back out even strength too late. We have been scored on so many times by teams wearing us down on the PK then popping one in 2 minutes after the PK is up. With Helm back this makes this much easier. I'd have Helm, Abby, Fil, Tatar? be the go-to PK guys with Z,Dats working in situationally.

Sorry for the essay.

Guest The Axe

FORWARDS

Valtteri Filppula ($4.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.300m)

OTHER

I think it is safe to say that somebody will have to be amnestied. Sammy is competing with Franzen, Brunner, Bert for a RW spot and it hasn't helped that he is injured 95% of the time. Cola literally looks like a rookie out there rather than a veteran presence to help the young guys, along with his injuries he needs to go. Swapping in these two injured vets bumps the development of some of the younger players who don't necessarily play themselves out of a spot in the lineup. We need to stop with this carousel of lines and let some guys gel together for next season.

I think as a precaution for Datsyuk possibly leaving we should have Fil back and hopefully Jarnkrok up (if he takes offseason conditioning seriously) because we don't want to have another Lidstrom situation where we let Smith and the other young guys waste away in GR rather than learn from the best. After watching Jarnkrok in GR he played very well and his points didn't really show the level of play he is capable of (he kept shifts really short to start and played defence first) but he looked really shifty and quick out there. Having another top 6 centre allows us to Play Z with Dats when needed and still get some offence out of the second line when we load up.

The fourth line would be more of a 3a/3b line with a great group of energy guys that can play hard and chip in with some scoring. I feel this line is what we really missed this season. We usually have a grind line that can be counted on to go hard and not get scored on and take the puck deep in their zone and sometimes get a quick one. For reference think of the original grind line and then the Abby-Helm-Eaves line of past years.

The defence just needs time. They need time to get to know each other, develop, get comfortable, make some mistakes. We won't be landing any #1 dman likely at all so we need our young guys to band together and play some good smart simple defence. Once the defence starts clicking we will see some scoring shine through as well.

We also need to go back to dedicating forwards for the PP and PK (not both). It kills us to have Z, Dats having to PK then come back out even strength too late. We have been scored on so many times by teams wearing us down on the PK then popping one in 2 minutes after the PK is up. With Helm back this makes this much easier. I'd have Helm, Abby, Fil, Tatar? be the go-to PK guys with Z,Dats working in situationally.

Sorry for the essay.

Emmerton plays every game and you kick him out. Amazing.

Emmerton plays every game and you kick him out. Amazing.

Nice critique lol. But really, Babs seems to like Andersson much more than Emmerton. There is no room for another 4C on this team if Helm returns next season. We have Andersson, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Filppula, Abby who can all play centre. Add possibly Jarnkrok and that is more than enough to make emmerton expendable. There simply isn't much room for him unless you want to see one of Tatar and Nyquist sit. Even if Jarnkrok isn't here next year we will just see Andersson up in the centre spot and emmerton would be sitting in the press box. Anyway you cut it - he doesn't fit. Best case scenario for him is that Sammy is amnestied, Bert is done, Helm is out, and Jarnkrok doesn't make the team.

Guest The Axe

In his line up, there are at least 3 players who may not be here next year. Jarnkrok for sure. Bertuzzi more than likely. And a possibility Helm doesn't return by then. Eaves and Tootoo aren't exactly guarantees either. I told everyone Emdog was a regular at the beginning of the season and everyone laughed. Do we need to ho through this all over again?

In his line up, there are at least 3 players who may not be here next year. Jarnkrok for sure. Bertuzzi more than likely. And a possibility Helm doesn't return by then. Eaves and Tootoo aren't exactly guarantees either. I told everyone Emdog was a regular at the beginning of the season and everyone laughed. Do we need to ho through this all over again?

I'm sorry, but all of those players listed - save jarnkrok - are much more likely to be here than emdog. If not for talent reasons, look at the wings track record - we keep our older players around. Tootoo and eaves aren't being traded and bert is far from done if he can recover over the summer. Helm will most likely be back by october.

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.300m)

OTHER

I think it is safe to say that somebody will have to be amnestied. Sammy is competing with Franzen, Brunner, Bert for a RW spot and it hasn't helped that he is injured 95% of the time. Cola literally looks like a rookie out there rather than a veteran presence to help the young guys, along with his injuries he needs to go. Swapping in these two injured vets bumps the development of some of the younger players who don't necessarily play themselves out of a spot in the lineup. We need to stop with this carousel of lines and let some guys gel together for next season. ....

I'd be very surprised to see Jarnkrok on the roster next year, and I wouldn't make any large bets regarding Nyquist and Tatar.

I don't think we'll see any buyouts, though I wouldn't be shocked either. I think we'll look for a trade at the draft, but it would have to be good one. I don't think Kenny is particularly desperate.

There are no good UFAs on D, so I think with all our young guys and the injuries we've had we'll keep Cola and go with 8 D.

There's some decent forwards that aren't signed yet, but none so good that I think we really have to go after them. I think we bring Brunner back. Flip a maybe, depending on what the UFA market looks like at the draft and whether or not we make any trades. If we resign Flip or a get a UFA to replace him, there's no room for Gus or Tots unless we make a trade or buy someone out. If we make a trade, I think there's a good chance one of them is involved, and whoever we get back would move ahead of whichever one stays. Both are still waiver exempt next year. If Sammy and Bert are healthy, I think they'll be back. If not, one of the kids will take their spot until they are.

Long story short, I'd expect next year to look very much like this year.

Guest DeGraa55

FORWARDSGustav Nyquist ($1.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m) [/size]Valtteri Filppula ($4.500m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Damien Brunner ($2.750m) [/size]Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Calle Jarnkrok ($0.900m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m) [/size]Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Jordin Tootoo ($1.900m) [/size]Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.605m) / [/size]DEFENSEMENNiklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) [/size]Jakub Kindl ($2.000m) / Brendan Smith ($1.350m) [/size]Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) [/size]Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) / [/size]GOALTENDERSJimmy Howard ($5.300m) [/size]Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m) [/size]OTHERBuyout: Mikael Samuelsson ($0.000m) [/size]Buyout: Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m) [/size]SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; [/size]CAP PAYROLL: $60,432,879; [/size]BONUSES: $1,170,000[/size]CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,037,121[/size]

Sorry for the essay.

Jarnkrok won't be on the team. And unless there's buyouts and trades Tatar and nyquist won't start year on the roster. Also Nyquist is better on a line with z cause z shoots whereas dats is more of a playmaker. I also find it interesting you want fil out of position playing wing where he doesn't do well at all.

So...no to Clarkson, but yes to Cleary and Samuelsson?

No. Cleary is gone after this season, and I'm an advocate of using an amnesty buyout on Samuelsson. I'd much prefer to see Nyquist and Tatar given a shot than adding Clarkson. I think this team needs to assess just how talented their youth is before delving into free agency, at least at the forward position.

Guest The Axe

No. Cleary is gone after this season, and I'm an advocate of using an amnesty buyout on Samuelsson. I'd much prefer to see Nyquist and Tatar given a shot than adding Clarkson. I think this team needs to assess just how talented their youth is before delving into free agency, at least at the forward position.

I say we get rid of:

Bertuzzi and Samuelson through buyouts

Colo thru a trade

White, Clearly and Flip thru free agency

Bring in Bobby Ryan at ALL costs. 8 mil per if we have to.

Franzen-Dats-Ryan

Zetterberg-Nyquist-Brunner

Tatar-Helm-Andersson

Miller-Emdog-Abdelkader

Tootoo-Eaves

Jarnkrok won't be on the team. And unless there's buyouts and trades Tatar and nyquist won't start year on the roster. Also Nyquist is better on a line with z cause z shoots whereas dats is more of a playmaker. I also find it interesting you want fil out of position playing wing where he doesn't do well at all.

I agree with Jarnkrok. He needs a full season in GR after a summer in the gym and then he'll get used to his all new big boy body. Brunner will no doubt follow suit and hit the gym this summer too. They both need to add some muscle and they'll be big guys for the team for the foreseeable future.

I say we get rid of:

Bertuzzi and Samuelson through buyouts

Colo thru a trade

White, Clearly and Flip thru free agency

Bring in Bobby Ryan at ALL costs. 8 mil per if we have to.

Franzen-Dats-Ryan

Zetterberg-Nyquist-Brunner

Tatar-Helm-Andersson

Miller-Emdog-Abdelkader

Tootoo-Eaves

8 mil for Ryan? How about 6 mil or no thanks. He's a good player, but you need to be more realistic in the cap world. I definitely love the look of that team and its lines though, however I'd switch Miller and Tootoo.

Edited by Z Winged Dangler

Ummmm Fil has played wing for the last two seasons and had his breakout year on Dats' wing.... he puts up 0 points when he plays centre. Like I said, Jarnkrok has a slight chance but not a good one of making the team. Depends on him. The wings will give him the shot if he brings it to training camp. You can't deny that.

Ummmm Fil has played wing for the last two seasons and had his breakout year on Dats' wing.... he puts up 0 points when he plays centre. Like I said, Jarnkrok has a slight chance but not a good one of making the team. Depends on him. The wings will give him the shot if he brings it to training camp. You can't deny that.

Beg to disagree on jarnkrok. I watch him this weekend. he isn't close to being ready to play in the NHL. In fact, the player I saw friday night, isn't close to be a ready for the AHL. Not trying to be a smart a$$ either. he took 1 faceoff, lost it badly, then ferraro took the rest of the FO's for the rest of the night. he spent 90% of his time in the middle 1/3 of the ice from face off dot to face off dot. he never held onto the puck for longer than 2 seconds. he speed was average. Mursak, Jurco, tatar, Pare where all clearly faster. Others played faster do to being older and more familier with the style of play. he is much smaller, clearly smaller than Mursak, tatar, pare, almquist etc.... he neds 2 full years in the AHL to even be close to being a potential NHL player, to say nothing of a star.

Now it was one game. But I didn't see anything in his game that stood out. Not size, not speed, not skill, not effort. The best 2 things i can say i saw where: he hit a post on his 1 shot, and he does seem to be defensively responsible. Like most Euro C's, he plays high. meaning, in the offensive zone he is up high by the Dmen.