• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

4/7 GDT : Blues 1 at Red Wings 0

Rate this topic

trading for clowe would have been making a move for the sake of making a move. the team isnt in a position to rent players for a playoff run.

But we might be renting Filppula if he doesn't re-sign in the offseason. May as well have moved him.

Remember Stuart last year?

My prediction for the remaining schedule. Not gonna go into regulation or OT loss or wins but I think it's gonna go like this.

SJ - Loss

Chi - Loss

Nashville - Win

Calgary - Win

Vancouver - Loss

Phoenix - Win

LA - Loss

Nashville - Win

Dallas - Loss

The urgency just isnt there...the last 5 mins of game is how the entire game needs to be played. Hell I would settle for half of the game.

I understand we were going for broke at that point but that pace is how we need to play 60 mins if we want to make the playoffs and make a run.

guys its not an arguement its a FACT look at the last 10 years of Hockey we finished at the top and lost to a 7th seeded Anhiem Ducks Calgary Flames team and a 8th seeded Edm Team the low seeds have brought it a hell of alot more than Higher seeds in the playoffs so maybe just maybe if we did get in by the skin of our teeth we could ight a fire under our teams ass and bring it hard to the top team nothing is impossible im just saying i know this team has been terrible the last couple of years but you never know what can happen good line changes by babcock during the postseason could give us the added chemistry we need

Work ethic. Physicality. Tight defense. No mistakes. Hot goaltending.

That's how those teams beat higher seeds. We have none of that.

I'm tired of this argument and having to explain it over and over again.

trading for clowe would have been making a move for the sake of making a move. the team isnt in a position to rent players for a playoff run.

there are more then 2 options to build a team. Its not like just because Clowes here it means we are postponing a rebuild. In a perfect world you get a player like Clowe that would help us, and rid of flips who isn't and is a UFA (seeking $ that i consider monkey business)

But we might be renting Filppula if he doesn't re-sign in the offseason. May as well have moved him.

Remember Stuart last year?

We aren't renting flip. but i do think he should have been traded. but what does that have to do with clowe?

Damn that Filppula. If he'd only become a scoring winger overnight, instead of playing the exact type of game that got him to the NHL, then our need for a winger would be resolved.

Mike Babcock and Ken Holland are absurd. They both believe that you absolutely CAN squeeze blood from a stone, so long as the stone seizes the opportunity and competes hard enough.

If they're going to keep going forward with this same garbage lineup, and not make any major changes then I'd rather they don't make the playoffs. At least that way they'd get a high draft pick and people would have to stop using that excuse.

Everyone thinks they're still the best GM and coach in the league, based on the past.

I suppose everyone thinks Francis Ford Coppola is still the best director in the world?

We aren't renting flip. but i do think he should have been traded. but what does that have to do with clowe?

Meaning we're not thinking as long term as you'd like.

We have enough similar prospects, where we can afford to trade some of them away.

Meaning we're not thinking as long term as you'd like.

We have enough similar prospects, where we can afford to trade some of them away.

i know we have prospects we can afford to trade. im saying renting clowe would have been a useless move. id love to see clowe with the wings. i see the guy every summer. he is a right on feller. but the time to go after him is july. to trade for him at the deadline and risk him walking away at the end of the season would have been absurd. just because we have prospects we can afford to trade, doesnt mean they should be pissed away on a rental on a transition year. if they are gonna be traded, it should be for someone who will stick around for a few seasons and help the team beyond this one.

Agreed. One time in the history of the NHL did an eighth seed win the Cup and now "anything can happen". No it can't.

The seeds that have made the conference finals since 2002:

2002: 1,2 3,4

2003: 6,7 1,2

2004: 2,6 1,3

2006: 6,8 2,4

2007: 1,2 1,4

2008: 1,5 2,6

2009: 2,4 4,6

2010: 1,2 7,8

2011: 1,2 3,5

2012: 3,8 1,6

A team that was seeded 5th or lower has made the conference finals 5 years in a row and 8 of the last 10 years so yes anything is possible. And it's even more true now considering no team is unbeatable and parity is in full force

A team that was seeded 5th or lower has made the conference finals 5 years in a row and 8 of the last 10 years so yes anything is possible. And it's even more true now considering no team is unbeatable and parity is in full force

None of those teams played like this one.

i know we have prospects we can afford to trade. im saying renting clowe would have been a useless move. id love to see clowe with the wings. i see the guy every summer. he is a right on feller. but the time to go after him is july. to trade for him at the deadline and risk him walking away at the end of the season would have been absurd. just because we have prospects we can afford to trade, doesnt mean they should be pissed away on a rental on a transition year. if they are gonna be traded, it should be for someone who will stick around for a few seasons and help the team beyond this one.

I don't trust Holland to make those trades anymore.

He threw away our top pick last year for Kyle Quincey.

a lot of them did during the season. they stepped it up to end the season to barely squeeze in.

If detroit plays every game they did tonight, combined with getting someone to the front of the net, they'll have a shot at winning games.

a lot of them did during the season. they stepped it up to end the season to barely squeeze in.

If detroit plays every game they did tonight, combined with getting someone to the front of the net, they'll have a shot at winning games.

I'm talking about style of playing and roster type. Not records.

Read what I wrote about it on the last page.

I don't trust Holland to make those trades anymore.

He threw away our top pick last year for Kyle Quincey.

this year he kept the first rounder and people are still complaining lol. im glad he kept it. with how deep the draft is we will probably get someone pretty good.

im a very patient person, so this transition doesnt bother me like it does others. i do really enjoy how much more meaningful these regular season games are.

where did i mention records?

Edited by marcaractac

this year he kept the first rounder and people are still complaining lol. im glad he kept it. with how deep the draft is we will probably get someone pretty good.

im a very patient person, so this transition doesnt bother me like it does others. i do really enjoy how much more meaningful these regular season games are.

Agreed, ten fold. I think some of you just need to stop watching hockey or something. It's like you don't even enjoy it.

I don't understand why they aren't playing Tootoo regularly, especially for hard fought games like this. They scratch their one guy that actually plays with grit? He has twice the amount of hustle as any other given player on this team right now

Agreed, ten fold. I think some of you just need to stop watching hockey or something. It's like you don't even enjoy it.

amen lol. a lot of people seem like they would be a lot less stressed out if they gave up watching. sure i do my share of cursing and swearing when they get scored on or lose, but i also realize its a part of the game. i watch it to enjoy it, not get stressed over it. i do not stress over which i cannot control.

Edited by marcaractac

where did i mention records?

So you think this team can play with the same blueprint that those underdogs did?

If you do, you can envision things I can't see. We're none of those things I described on the last page. Our roster isn't built that way.

Or we're afraid to become like Montreal Canadiens fans.

The wings have always been one of the hardest working teams, they haven't won any of the last 4 cups by being more physical than who they are playing, they have been grittier but not more physical, they have shown an ability to play tight defense, an Howard is good enough to play lights out for 2 months. The only thing stopping them from holding down the 4th or 5th seed is that they turn the puck over a lot, and that has to do with the the guys who are still leaning how to play at this level and learning how to play with each other.

That's great - name ONE thing this team does right consistently night in and night out. You won't find it.

This team is so wildly inconsistent, expecting 4 good games out of 7 is a near impossibility, and in the playoffs, just playing a "good" game isn't good enough to win. Right now if Detroit makes the playoffs, they will get jailsexed by the Blackhawks - a team with more talent, skill and speed, not to mention physicality, than the Red Wings.

There's a reason this team got smacked by the BJ's of all people this year.

I do not understand the playing of Cleary over Tatar or Tootoo... it truly doesn't make any sense. Youth and skill. Tenacity and Grit. vs. Broken and Falling Down. I loved me some Danny Cleary a few years back, but the guy should be finished in this league.

The wings have always been one of the hardest working teams, they haven't won any of the last 4 cups by being more physical than who they are playing, they have been grittier but not more physical, they have shown an ability to play tight defense, an Howard is good enough to play lights out for 2 months. The only thing stopping them from holding down the 4th or 5th seed is that they turn the puck over a lot, and that has to do with the the guys who are still leaning how to play at this level and learning how to play with each other.

exactly. it's growing pains. the young players will get better with more experience, and the mistakes will go down. fill holes along the roster along the way and the team will be competitive.

So you think this team can play with the same blueprint that those underdogs did?

If you do, you can envision things I can't see. We're none of those things I described on the last page. Our roster isn't built that way.

Or we're afraid to become like Montreal Canadiens fans.

Agreed. As a fan base, we're so unaccostomed to not being one of the top flight teams in the league that when the team needs a serious overhaul, a lot of us just don't see it for what it is.

The Patriots will be in this role here very shortly in the NFL and Dallas has been since Aikman/Smith/Irvin left - the Yankees in the MLB, the Lakers should be but aren't (and in some ways look very similar to the Red Wings).

The point being, this team isn't a cup contender. The roster is not strong in any area - there is barely a top-6 and there is certainly NOT a top-4 defensively. There is basically zero secondary scoring, the special teams are crappy, especially on the power play. This team is not physical. This team doesn't have great speed and to top it all off, they take nights off.

All of this adds up to either missing the playoffs are getting destroyed in the first round.