• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

4/7 GDT : Blues 1 at Red Wings 0

Rate this topic

I do not understand the playing of Cleary over Tatar or Tootoo... it truly doesn't make any sense. Youth and skill. Tenacity and Grit. vs. Broken and Falling Down. I loved me some Danny Cleary a few years back, but the guy should be finished in this league.

sadly tatar cant be called up until the season ends, or for an emergency. all their call ups for the season have been used. hoping he gets to play in the playoffs though

That's great - name ONE thing this team does right consistently night in and night out. You won't find it.

This team is so wildly inconsistent, expecting 4 good games out of 7 is a near impossibility, and in the playoffs, just playing a "good" game isn't good enough to win. Right now if Detroit makes the playoffs, they will get jailsexed by the Blackhawks - a team with more talent, skill and speed, not to mention physicality, than the Red Wings.

There's a reason this team got smacked by the BJ's of all people this year.

How many times have we all watched as the wings ran through the regular season and then met a team like Edmonton, Calgary, or Anaheim who has talent to compete for the cup but were way to inconsistent during the season and it made them barley make the playoffs. They beat Detroit who was clearly the better team because they thought their skill was enough but the other teams wanted it more an had been in playoff mode for weeks before the playoffs started. WILL BEATS SKILL. That the most important thing to winning in the playoffs, you have to want it more than them.

How many times have we all watched as the wings ran through the regular season and then met a team like Edmonton, Calgary, or Anaheim who has talent to compete for the cup but were way to inconsistent during the season and it made them barley make the playoffs. They beat Detroit who was clearly the better team because they thought their skill was enough but the other teams wanted it more an had been in playoff mode for weeks before the playoffs started. WILL BEATS SKILL. That the most important thing to winning in the playoffs, you have to want it more than them.

And all of those teams were fast, strong up the middle and played defense, not to mention they were very physical teams. And yes the will to do so can count for a lot, but what has shown you this team has the will to do anything but float on the perimeter and have their asses handed to them?

This Detroit team is none of those qualities, and this Detroit team doesn't have 1/10th the skill it had even last year.

All of those teams were better than this Red Wings team is now, and it's not even close.

Edited by BuckeyeWingsfan80

sadly tatar cant be called up until the season ends, or for an emergency. all their call ups for the season have been used. hoping he gets to play in the playoffs though

They called up Sheahan, that could have been Tatar.

So you think this team can play with the same blueprint that those underdogs did?

If you do, you can envision things I can't see. We're none of those things I described on the last page. Our roster isn't built that way.

Or we're afraid to become like Montreal Canadiens fans.

I know they arent the same team as these other underdogs. that isnt what im saying at all. but any team can get hot. not saying it will happen, and im not saying i like detroits chances at a deep playoff run. getting helm and bert back alone woule cut down on mistakes. once again, not saying they will be back, but i hold out hope. because im a fan. thats what i do.

And all of those teams were fast, strong up the middle and played defense, not to mention they were very physical teams. And yes the will to do so can count for a lot, but what has shown you this team has the will to do anything but float on the perimeter and have their asses handed to them?

This Detroit team is none of those qualities, and this Detroit team doesn't have 1/10th the skill it had even last year.

All of those teams were better than this Red Wings team is now, and it's not even close.

Of the teams that upset the wings they didnt have a lot of success after that (Anaheim excluded but they remade their roster). So yes this wings team is better than those teams. And a good percentage of the roster have not played in the playoffs so we have no idea how they will play when it's do or die. I just don't understand why there are so many willing to write this team off so quick. I'm not saying they will make noise come playoff time but I'm saying give them a chance. I feel sorry for everyone that thinks the season is lost

Im just excited about Dekeyser. He played fantastic today and was out in high pressure situations. If babs trusts him during those times you know you have a great defensman.

With Dekeyser, Smith, Kindl and Lashoff getting better we will have a great defense in front of jimmy in the very near future.

Of the teams that upset the wings they didnt have a lot of success after that (Anaheim excluded but they remade their roster). So yes this wings team is better than those teams. And a good percentage of the roster have not played in the playoffs so we have no idea how they will play when it's do or die. I just don't understand why there are so many willing to write this team off so quick. I'm not saying they will make noise come playoff time but I'm saying give them a chance. I feel sorry for everyone that thinks the season is lost

They have to MAKE the playoffs first, and I'm no where near convinced they will do so.

Beyond that, no, this is easily the worst Wings team since 1989-1990. All of the teams you want to dream about the Wings morphing into were better than this team.

They have to MAKE the playoffs first, and I'm no where near convinced they will do so.

Beyond that, no, this is easily the worst Wings team since 1989-1990. All of the teams you want to dream about the Wings morphing into were better than this team.

Welcome to parity

The wings have always been one of the hardest working teams, they haven't won any of the last 4 cups by being more physical than who they are playing, they have been grittier but not more physical, they have shown an ability to play tight defense, an Howard is good enough to play lights out for 2 months. The only thing stopping them from holding down the 4th or 5th seed is that they turn the puck over a lot, and that has to do with the the guys who are still leaning how to play at this level and learning how to play with each other.

We won our Cups mostly with skill. We had grit as well, especially 1997 and 1998. None of that matters here. I'm talking about this particular team. This team has no grit whatsoever and won't outwork anybody in a series.

Howard has never shown that he can steal an entire playoff series, let alone several in one year. He's shown he can outduel the terrible Bryzgalov. Big deal.

They've shown what ability to play tight defense? Have you watched this season? We can play a good defensive game here and there, but not anything consistent. The turnovers you alluded to explain why this is not a good defense. Doesn't matter what they can be in the future. We're talking about this team and their ability to make long playoff runs NOW.

Our team can be

-fast

-gritty

-defensive

-intense

-hungry

-disciplined

Perfect traits for playoff hockey...they CAN be all of these, its up to them if they actually are though:)

We can't be any of those things this season.

Are we talking about the same roster? Where are you getting these adjectives from?

The roster is the problem. Of the 24 players on the team, only 7 of them weren't drafted (or first signed) by the Wings. And of those 7, Cleary, Bert, Miller and Eaves have been here for a long long time. The Wings have a stale roster, they need some outside of the system players.

I know they arent the same team as these other underdogs. that isnt what im saying at all. but any team can get hot. not saying it will happen, and im not saying i like detroits chances at a deep playoff run. getting helm and bert back alone woule cut down on mistakes. once again, not saying they will be back, but i hold out hope. because im a fan. thats what i do.

My point is, if you study those underdogs, there's a blueprint to their success. It's not just dumb luck and getting hot at the right time. They all played a similar, particular style.

LA was even better because they mixed the style those other underdogs played, together with great offense and talent to boot.

Edited by GMRwings1983

It is the salary cap era. The days of one team being a cup contender each and every year is over. It will never happen. People just need to accept the fact that every team will have seasons like the Wings are having now. And people should also be thankful and realize it could be a hell of a lot worse.

In the mean time i'm just gonna keep enjoying watching the Wings.

My point is, if you study those underdogs, there's a blueprint to their success. It's not just dumb luck and getting hot at the right time. They all played a similar, particular style.

LA was even better because they mixed the style those other underdogs played, together with great offense and talent to boot.

I agree to an extent. but at the same time if it is all system, they wouldnt barely make the playoffs to begin with. if this style were so sucessful, teams who use it would do better during the season as well. and getting hot still does have a lot to do with it.

there are also teams who have played this style and failed. a lot of things have to go right for it to work.

People just need to accept the fact that no one team in this league will be a cintender each and every season.

We won our Cups mostly with skill. We had grit as well, especially 1997 and 1998. None of that matters here. I'm talking about this particular team. This team has no grit whatsoever and won't outwork anybody in a series.

Howard has never shown that he can steal an entire playoff series, let alone several in one year. He's shown he can outduel the terrible Bryzgalov. Big deal.

They've shown what ability to play tight defense? Have you watched this season? We can play a good defensive game here and there, but not anything consistent. The turnovers you alluded to explain why this is not a good defense. Doesn't matter what they can be in the future. We're talking about this team and their ability to make long playoff runs NOW.

We can't be any of those things this season.

Are we talking about the same roster? Where are you getting these adjectives from?

You will notice the word left off the list was the most important.....Consistently!

And yes they sure as hell have displayed all those adj's and more BUT they have NOT all done it

At the same game same shift same trip.

We have laid some big eggs for stretches and I know we need all cylinders firing every game to make playoffs and Howie will need a 09 ozzie run to get us deep BUT this team has all the nuts and bolts to do some work into early summer.

If We get Helm like EFFORT from every Wing on the Ice every shift I will be happy as a Wings fan and will enjoy the run this year.

It is the salary cap era. The days of one team being a cup contender each and every year is over. It will never happen. People just need to accept the fact that every team will have seasons like the Wings are having now. And people should also be thankful and realize it could be a hell of a lot worse.

In the mean time i'm just gonna keep enjoying watching the Wings.

I agree to an extent. but at the same time if it is all system, they wouldnt barely make the playoffs to begin with. if this style were so sucessful, teams who use it would do better during the season as well. and getting hot still does have a lot to do with it.

there are also teams who have played this style and failed. a lot of things have to go right for it to work.

People just need to accept the fact that no one team in this league will be a cintender each and every season.

But I haven't seen any team like these Wings, which ended up winning the Cup. A team with limited skill and limited work ethic.

Some systems work better in the playoffs, when you can suffocate teams and gameplan against them strictly. That's why those underdog teams didn't finish higher in those regular seasons. Regular season is a different animal.

Welcome to parity

Funny - Ask Chicago, Boston and Pittsburgh how that parity is working out for them.

Parity is an excuse for losers. This team lacks fire, energy, speed, skill and grit. That's not parity, that's losing hall of famers, legends and truly-gritty players like Drapes and Maltby and replacing them with Sammy, Coliacovo, Quincey and whoever else Holland tried to sell to us as legit hockey players this year.

It's not parity, it's that everyone has gotten better and Detroit's dynasty is over. It's not over because of lack of trying, it's over because legends like Yzerman and Lidstrom are gone, Hall of Famers like Chelios, Rafalski and Osgood are gone too.

You don't lose legends like Lidstrom and expect first round busts like Quincey to move into the lineup and make the same impact. There HAS TO BE a drop off, and we're seeing it. It'll take more than plugging in a few "over-ripe" career minor-leaguers to fix it.

But I haven't seen any team like these Wings, which ended up winning the Cup. A team with limited skill and limited work ethic.

Some systems work better in the playoffs, when you can suffocate teams and gameplan against them strictly. That's why those underdog teams didn't finish higher in those regular seasons. Regular season is a different animal.

Detroit's system doesn't always work all that well in the playoffs either - when it does it's a thing of beauty, but when it doesn't, it's an early exit.

Funny - Ask Chicago, Boston and Pittsburgh how that parity is working out for them.

Parity is an excuse for losers. This team lacks fire, energy, speed, skill and grit. That's not parity, that's losing hall of famers, legends and truly-gritty players like Drapes and Maltby and replacing them with Sammy, Coliacovo, Quincey and whoever else Holland tried to sell to us as legit hockey players this year.

It's not parity, it's that everyone has gotten better and Detroit's dynasty is over. It's not over because of lack of trying, it's over because legends like Yzerman and Lidstrom are gone, Hall of Famers like Chelios, Rafalski and Osgood are gone too.

You don't lose legends like Lidstrom and expect first round busts like Quincey to move into the lineup and make the same impact. There HAS TO BE a drop off, and we're seeing it. It'll take more than plugging in a few "over-ripe" career minor-leaguers to fix it.

what happened to chicago after they won the cup? thats right, they havent won a series since, and made the playoffs the following year because dallas lost their last game only. yes they are great again now, but they had their year of barely squeaking in.

it certainly is parity. if not for the cap, the wings would have continued to trade #1 picks for top players, and throw money at players in the summer to remain great. and it will take a few down years for the wings to get some fresh blood in the system now. it's just the way the league is now.

the pens and bruins will drop off in time as well. the pens will take a long time to do so because their core is very young. ours isnt. if the wings threw big mioney at some ufa's over the past couple years, sure they would have remained really good for a couple more years. but the drop off would come sooner or later regardless.

You really need to quit holding your feelings in like this. We are all adults here so if you need to vent, we can handle it. Let it out.

:hammer::ranting::boxing::furious:

Thanks for the suggestion, Marty! I DO feel better! :colgate:

That is a completely false statement. This is one of the hardest working teams we have had. Don't confuse not dominating every night with lack of work ethic.