• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

4/7 GDT : Blues 1 at Red Wings 0

Rate this topic

That is a completely false statement. This is one of the hardest working teams we have had. Don't confuse not dominating every night with lack of work ethic.

agreed. a lot of it is growing pains. it is the biggest roster turnover we've had in years, especially on d. the kids will get better, thus making the team better. no doubt new blood will need to be added on the way, but those moves need to be made when the time is right.

im enjoying watching the team grow together. it isnt gonna happen overnight, and once you come to terms with that, the games become much more enjoyable. keep stocking the system, develop prospects, give the kids a chance. when the time is right, add missing pieces via UFA and/or trade. it is a process, and it takes time. things will always get worse before they get better. but they will get better in time.

what happened to chicago after they won the cup? thats right, they havent won a series since, and made the playoffs the following year because dallas lost their last game only. yes they are great again now, but they had their year of barely squeaking in.

it certainly is parity. if not for the cap, the wings would have continued to trade #1 picks for top players, and throw money at players in the summer to remain great. and it will take a few down years for the wings to get some fresh blood in the system now. it's just the way the league is now.

the pens and bruins will drop off in time as well. the pens will take a long time to do so because their core is very young. ours isnt. if the wings threw big mioney at some ufa's over the past couple years, sure they would have remained really good for a couple more years. but the drop off would come sooner or later regardless.

Well, enjoy the first round exit, if we get there, I guess. But don't say I didn't tell you so if we don't or when they get embarrassed again. Oh and wash, rinse and repeat next year, I don't see it changing much for next season.

Well, enjoy the first round exit, if we get there, I guess. But don't say I didn't tell you so if we don't or when they get embarrassed again. Oh and wash, rinse and repeat next year, I don't see it changing much for next season.

when have i ever said i expect a successful playoff run?

enjoy the doom and gloom attitude. im sure glad i can just enjoy watching red wings hockey without getting stressed out about it.

They could get swept in the first round, or not make the playoffs at all. whatever happens, im gonna watch the games and enjoy it.

Edited by marcaractac

I'm really hoping we make the playoffs...and I think we will. But IF we don't, here's something to consider:

Every team that doesn't make the playoffs this year has a shot at the #1 pick through the draft lottery. Crazier things have happened, right?

Edit: The team who finishes with the most points amongst the teams outside of the playoffs has a 0.5% chance. Yay.

Edited by Zetts

Well then you better not watch and be disappointed if that's what you think.

The seeds that have made the conference finals since 2002:

2002: 1,2 3,4

2003: 6,7 1,2

2004: 2,6 1,3

2006: 6,8 2,4

2007: 1,2 1,4

2008: 1,5 2,6

2009: 2,4 4,6

2010: 1,2 7,8

2011: 1,2 3,5

2012: 3,8 1,6

A team that was seeded 5th or lower has made the conference finals 5 years in a row and 8 of the last 10 years so yes anything is possible. And it's even more true now considering no team is unbeatable and parity is in full force

Thanks for this compilation and I totally agree with your last sentence. Doesn't mean it's going to happen but the potential is there.

amen lol. a lot of people seem like they would be a lot less stressed out if they gave up watching. sure i do my share of cursing and swearing when they get scored on or lose, but i also realize its a part of the game. i watch it to enjoy it, not get stressed over it. i do not stress over which i cannot control.

Ok. Maybe except for the refs. :shout:

O worked all day. How did Dekeyser and Sheahan loo in todays game? Just be reading the box score-shot pretty even and a 1-0 lose looks like it was a close tight game, playoff type of game. Did the kids do good? bad?

what happened to chicago after they won the cup? thats right, they havent won a series since, and made the playoffs the following year because dallas lost their last game only. yes they are great again now, but they had their year of barely squeaking in.

it certainly is parity. if not for the cap, the wings would have continued to trade #1 picks for top players, and throw money at players in the summer to remain great. and it will take a few down years for the wings to get some fresh blood in the system now. it's just the way the league is now.

the pens and bruins will drop off in time as well. the pens will take a long time to do so because their core is very young. ours isnt. if the wings threw big mioney at some ufa's over the past couple years, sure they would have remained really good for a couple more years. but the drop off would come sooner or later regardless.

Agreed. If you're going to talk about parity you can't just talk about one team. That's the whole idea. It's about what's happening around the league to all the teams. Some are better, some are worse but it is evening out. You also have to talk about perspective, not the Immediate Reward Thing. The good teams will suffer soon enough, and the iffy teams will find a way to come back. In time. Not in our time. It just keeps cycling and it will never, ever agree with our sense of what should be happening for our team right now.

The only kinds of teams who are on the downslope that don't eventually come back are those that have incompetent management who waste draft picks and make bad trades that hurt the long-term viability of the team. While I do not agree with everything Ken Holland has done, he is far from incompetent. And no, we do not need to ask him to retire or fire him. That's absurd. Installing a new regime now would only set the rebuilding process back.

This is what happens when your roster turns over and you haven't had a good draft pick for 21 years. No team can perpetuate that kind of success. It just doesn't work that way. This is what a rebuilding team looks like, and we had better get used to it.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993

Well then you better not watch and be disappointed if that's what you think.

I'll still be around. The problem is most of the same players will be as well. Although if Flip for some reason leaves in Free Agency, this would be a BAD thing obviously....

The only kinds of teams who are on the downslope that don't eventually come back are those that have incompetent management who waste draft picks and make bad trades that hurt the long-term viability of the team. While I do not agree with everything Ken Holland has done, he is far from incompetent. And no, we do not need to ask him to retire or fire him. That's absurd. Installing a new regime now would only set the rebuilding process back.

This is what happens when your roster turns over and you haven't had a good draft pick for 21 years. No team can perpetuate that kind of success. It just doesn't work that way. This is what a rebuilding team looks like, and we had better get used to it.

^^^ what he said.

This team relies on Datsyuk and Howard to win games for them way too much no one else seems to have any impact overall. Couldn't even manage a goal and now have back2back losses coming up from SJ and CHI. So sad that the Blue Jackets or Oilers will bounce the Red Wings for that final playoff spot.

Edited by Yak19

Blues are the superior team right now, they are younger, bigger, meaner and now even better in the standings but that was to be expected. As much as it pains me to say it, this is just a bubble playoffteam and the FORCED worst Wings edition since almost two decades. I enjoy watching the kids grow and learn together, but deep in my mind I know fully well that this is not the team the Wings would be icing, if hockey would at least take a page from the MLB.

All-time, the Club has scored fewer than one-hundred goals after the first thirty-nine games a total of nineteen times; the last time, before today, being 1963-64.

Exactly ninety-nine goals have been scored after the first thirty-nine games in three seasons; the last time, before today, in 1955-56.

In the modern-Conference era, the Club had never scored fewer than one-hundred goals after the first thirty-nine games, until today.

Edited by cusimano_brothers

Blues are the superior team right now, they are younger, bigger, meaner and now even better in the standings but that was to be expected. As much as it pains me to say it, this is just a bubble playoffteam and the FORCED worst Wings edition since almost two decades. I enjoy watching the kids grow and learn together, but deep in my mind I know fully well that this is not the team the Wings would be icing, if hockey would at least take a page from the MLB.

Lol, maybe, but that game was incredibly even. Somebody had to win. I wouldn't call one team superior over the other based on that game.

This team relies on Datsyuk and Howard to win games for them way too much no one else seems to have any impact overall. Couldn't even manage a goal and now have back2back losses coming up from SJ and CHI. So sad that the Blue Jackets or Oilers will bounce the Red Wings for that final playoff spot.

Well then don't watch so you won't be disappointed.

The seeds that have made the conference finals since 2002:

2002: 1,2 3,4

2003: 6,7 1,2

2004: 2,6 1,3

2006: 6,8 2,4

2007: 1,2 1,4

2008: 1,5 2,6

2009: 2,4 4,6

2010: 1,2 7,8

2011: 1,2 3,5

2012: 3,8 1,6

A team that was seeded 5th or lower has made the conference finals 5 years in a row and 8 of the last 10 years so yes anything is possible. And it's even more true now considering no team is unbeatable and parity is in full force

I didn't realize they started giving out the Stanley Cup for teams making it to the Conference Finals. Is that the goal now, Conference Finals?

What do we have to do to get someone to attack the net? Skate, skate, skate...pass, pass, pass...back pass...shot from the perimeter...back the other way.

DRIVE THEf****** NET!

I'm glad someone pointed this out. When you have an abundance of skill players - especially certain American and Swedish defensemen who are experts at getting shots through from the perimeter, driving the net becomes less of a priority.

However, when you've lost those players and have replaced them with basically Kronwall and nothing else, driving the net becomes crucial to getting the puck into the scoring zone. This is one of the main reasons why this team's personnel or strategy needs to be revamped.

I didn't realize they started giving out the Stanley Cup for teams making it to the Conference Finals. Is that the goal now, Conference Finals?

I remember Babcock talking about how getting to the final four was considered a good year. And there would be 26 other teams that would trade places with us if we got there.

Edit: and way to completely miss the point I was making. I was pointing out that the playoffs are completely random and every team has a chance to win it, not that the conference finals are the main goal.

Edited by Wings4Life19

Would that be SOOO bad? I mean, for christsakes, we're fighting for a playoff spot and you're shrugging off our last chance at a Western Conference Final appearance... So, sorry that your team will disappoint unless we win the friggin' Cup.

Oh, right... we have absolutely no chance of making the WCF.

Edited by e_prime

When I play hockey, I have the same championship or bust mentality. When it comes to the Wings though, I don't have a stake in them winning the cup. They will or won't rise to the occasion. Nothing I do or say is going to impact them. That being said, should the Stanley Cup be the only end result goal for the Wings in the post cap era? I don't agree. I don't think anyone expected this team to roll to a cup. That being said, there is always the chance this team catches fire and makes a statement.

I guess we will see how it goes. I just don't think we should be holding the Wings to the "cup or bust" standard anymore. Its not like we bought the best team in hockey like we did for about 10 years.