• This topic is locked This topic is locked
573 replies to this topic

#261 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:18 PM

There is a difference between rough and cheap. Backes crosses that line too often imho. There is a difference between hitting hard and hitting to injure. I love a power forward who hits hard. One who hits to injure has no place in the game.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#262 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

So Elliot has a shutout?

#263 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:20 PM

No, he was interpreting the rules as they were written at the time.  BTW, there's no such thing as a good goal or a bad goal.  It's either a goal or it isn't.

Don't take this the wrong way, but...  (not based on this post specifically, but the last several posts of yours in this thread)

How old are you and how long have you been a Wings fan?  (and follow up, are you related to Dan O'Halloran?  *wink*)

Anyone who has bothered to watch Wings games over the past several years, Wings fan or not, will tell you that O'Halloran most definitely has a negative bias against the Wings, whatever the reason may be.  You are literally the only one who disagrees here.

Edited by sleepwalker, 07 April 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#264 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

So Elliot has a shutout?

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! good job that will break it

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#265 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Those jerseys are growing on me. The question now is which player to get?

#266 gowings00

gowings00

No Talent Goon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:22 PM

Yeah, this is somewhat of a "must win" but I don't see the effort I'd expect to see in a team needing two points.

#267 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

As was mentioned, he harboured an especial hatred for Holmstrom.  So many good goals waived off for non-existent goaltender interference.

Two minutes for farting into the crease. ;)

#268 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

There is a difference between rough and cheap. Backes crosses that line too often imho. There is a difference between hitting hard and hitting to injure. I love a power forward who hits hard. One who hits to injure has no place in the game.

He's a big strong guy, his hits injure.  Not his fault.  He doesn't go around kneeing guys, and as far as I know he's never been disciplined for head hunting.  He injures guys because when he hits them, he drives through them.  Exhibit A:  Kent Huskins earlier this season.  Perfectly clean hit, decimated the guy. 

As for the rest of his game, he's a little dirty, in the same way that Crosby is a little dirty with his cross checks.  It's not that bad, and not that big of a deal.  If Backes played for the Wings, and did the exact same stuff, we'd all be screaming "c'mon, be barely touched him". 

Just like how everybody came around on the Tootoo thing.  He didn't change his game, we just realize it's not as bad as we though when he played against us. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#269 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:25 PM

Been a Wings fan since the late '70's?  You?  I'm mature enough and unbiased enough to know that an official doesn't work 1000 games in the NHL if he "hates" a team.  I'm "literally" the only one of about a dozen people on a Red Wings hockey board that doesn't agree?  Somehow, I don't think that would qualify as scientific data.

#270 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

Those jerseys are growing on me. The question now is which player to get?

The winter classic jerserys?  I like the Leafs, still not a big fan of ours though.  Maybe they'll grow on me too though, who knows...

#271 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:26 PM

yea i mean with the next 2 games coming we need at least a point out f this because i doubt we get any with Sj and Chi

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#272 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

Horrible start
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#273 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,051 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:27 PM

No, he was interpreting the rules as they were written at the time.  BTW, there's no such thing as a good goal or a bad goal.  It's either a goal or it isn't.

So when he waived off a Homer goal for having his skate in the crease, 8 years after that rule was rescinded?

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#274 gowings00

gowings00

No Talent Goon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:28 PM

Do we want to lose?

#275 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,227 posts

C'mom boys, get it together.  Do you want to make the playoffs??

#276 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,973 posts

Wtf are they doing
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#277 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,629 posts

Been a Wings fan since the late '70's?  You?  I'm mature enough and unbiased enough to know that an official doesn't work 1000 games in the NHL if he "hates" a team.  I'm "literally" the only one of about a dozen people on a Red Wings hockey board that doesn't agree?  Somehow, I don't think that would qualify as scientific data.

I agree, it's just typical fan over reaction.  They've been penalized more than we have today and people are still bitching about the officiating.  I'd say a game with three penalties, two of which put us on the PP, is a well officiated game.  What does everyone want, ten or fifteen PPs?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#278 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

He's a big strong guy, his hits injure.  Not his fault.  He doesn't go around kneeing guys, and as far as I know he's never been disciplined for head hunting.  He injures guys because when he hits them, he drives through them.  Exhibit A:  Kent Huskins earlier this season.  Perfectly clean hit, decimated the guy. 

As for the rest of his game, he's a little dirty, in the same way that Crosby is a little dirty with his cross checks.  It's not that bad, and not that big of a deal.  If Backes played for the Wings, and did the exact same stuff, we'd all be screaming "c'mon, be barely touched him". 

Just like how everybody came around on the Tootoo thing.  He didn't change his game, we just realize it's not as bad as we though when he played against us. 

Tootoo passed up several shots that he'd have taken in the past early in his tenure here, which surprised me. That is what made me turn around. I understand the physics of a large body making impact.

If a guy is vulnerable and you know it, you don't need to absolutely destroy him from behind. FWIW I agree w/the hit on Huskins being clean.

#279 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Which data would that be? 

Watch Red Wings games from the past six seasons. That's about all I can tell you.

#280 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,728 posts

Looks like St. Louis' defense actually benefited from making those deadline deals.  

Either they're that good, or our attack is that bad.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.