• This topic is locked This topic is locked
573 replies to this topic

#521 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:31 PM

But I haven't seen any team like these Wings, which ended up winning the Cup.  A team with limited skill and limited work ethic.  

Some systems work better in the playoffs, when you can suffocate teams and gameplan against them strictly.  That's why those underdog teams didn't finish higher in those regular seasons.  Regular season is a different animal.  

Detroit's system doesn't always work all that well in the playoffs either - when it does it's a thing of beauty, but when it doesn't, it's an early exit.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#522 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

Funny - Ask Chicago, Boston and Pittsburgh how that parity is working out for them.

Parity is an excuse for losers.  This team lacks fire, energy, speed, skill and grit.  That's not parity, that's losing hall of famers, legends and truly-gritty players like Drapes and Maltby and replacing them with Sammy, Coliacovo, Quincey and whoever else Holland tried to sell to us as legit hockey players this year.

It's not parity, it's that everyone has gotten better and Detroit's dynasty is over.  It's not over because of lack of trying, it's over because legends like Yzerman and Lidstrom are gone, Hall of Famers like Chelios, Rafalski and Osgood are gone too. 

You don't lose legends like Lidstrom and expect first round busts like Quincey to move into the lineup and make the same impact.  There HAS TO BE a drop off, and we're seeing it.  It'll take more than plugging in a few "over-ripe" career minor-leaguers to fix it.

what happened to chicago after they won the cup? thats right, they havent won a series since, and made the playoffs the following year because dallas lost their last game only. yes they are great again now, but they had their year of barely squeaking in.

it certainly is parity. if not for the cap, the wings would have continued to trade #1 picks for top players, and throw money at players in the summer to remain great. and it will take a few down years for the wings to get some fresh blood in the system now. it's just the way the league is now.

the pens and bruins will drop off in time as well. the pens will take a long time to do so because their core is very young. ours isnt. if the wings threw big mioney at some ufa's over the past couple years, sure they would have remained really good for a couple more years. but the drop off would come sooner or later regardless.

#523 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:35 PM

You really need to quit holding your feelings in like this.  We are all adults here so if you need to vent, we can handle it.  Let it out.

:hammer:  :ranting:  :boxing:  :furious:

Thanks for the suggestion, Marty!  I DO feel better!   :colgate:

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#524 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

But I haven't seen any team like these Wings, which ended up winning the Cup.  A team with limited skill and limited work ethic.

Some systems work better in the playoffs, when you can suffocate teams and gameplan against them strictly.  That's why those underdog teams didn't finish higher in those regular seasons.  Regular season is a different animal.  

That is a completely false statement.  This is one of the hardest working teams we have had.  Don't confuse not dominating every night with lack of work ethic.

#525 CaliforniaWingsFan

CaliforniaWingsFan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

Such a tough loss. If only Nyquist buried that breakaway....It's going to be a tough fight to get into the playoffs, but getting in is just to maintain the playoff streak. It's highly unlikely they will make it out of the first round.

#526 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

And NO team softer than the Red Wings.  

I'm not sure how I could agree less with this statement.  Right now, it's personnel and it's the lack of team play.  

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#527 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:42 PM

That is a completely false statement.  This is one of the hardest working teams we have had.  Don't confuse not dominating every night with lack of work ethic.

agreed. a lot of it is growing pains. it is the biggest roster turnover we've had in years, especially on d. the kids will get better, thus making the team better. no doubt new blood will need to be added on the way, but those moves need to be made when the time is right.

im enjoying watching the team grow together. it isnt gonna happen overnight, and once you come to terms with that, the games become much more enjoyable. keep stocking the system, develop prospects, give the kids a chance. when the time is right, add missing pieces via UFA and/or trade. it is a process, and it takes time. things will always get worse before they get better. but they will get better in time.

#528 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

what happened to chicago after they won the cup? thats right, they havent won a series since, and made the playoffs the following year because dallas lost their last game only. yes they are great again now, but they had their year of barely squeaking in.

it certainly is parity. if not for the cap, the wings would have continued to trade #1 picks for top players, and throw money at players in the summer to remain great. and it will take a few down years for the wings to get some fresh blood in the system now. it's just the way the league is now.

the pens and bruins will drop off in time as well. the pens will take a long time to do so because their core is very young. ours isnt. if the wings threw big mioney at some ufa's over the past couple years, sure they would have remained really good for a couple more years. but the drop off would come sooner or later regardless.

Well, enjoy the first round exit, if we get there, I guess.  But don't say I didn't tell you so if we don't or when they get embarrassed again.  Oh and wash, rinse and repeat next year, I don't see it changing much for next season.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#529 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:48 PM

Well, enjoy the first round exit, if we get there, I guess.  But don't say I didn't tell you so if we don't or when they get embarrassed again.  Oh and wash, rinse and repeat next year, I don't see it changing much for next season.

when have i ever said i expect a successful playoff run?

enjoy the doom and gloom attitude. im sure glad i can just enjoy watching red wings hockey without getting stressed out about it.

They could get swept in the first round, or not make the playoffs at all. whatever happens, im gonna watch the games and enjoy it.

Edited by marcaractac, 07 April 2013 - 04:54 PM.

#530 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

I'm really hoping we make the playoffs...and I think we will.  But IF we don't, here's something to consider:

Every team that doesn't make the playoffs this year has a shot at the #1 pick through the draft lottery.  Crazier things have happened, right?

Edit: The team who finishes with the most points amongst the teams outside of the playoffs has a 0.5% chance.  Yay.

Edited by Zetts, 07 April 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#531 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

Hey on the bright side we've got San Jose and Chicago the next two games...so that's good. 

:shout:

#532 Aznknight

Aznknight

Rookie

• Pip
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

:shout:

And we will win.

#533 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Well then you better not watch and be disappointed if that's what you think.

#534 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

The seeds that have made the conference finals since 2002:
2002: 1,2 3,4
2003: 6,7 1,2
2004: 2,6 1,3
2006: 6,8 2,4
2007: 1,2 1,4
2008: 1,5 2,6
2009: 2,4 4,6
2010: 1,2 7,8
2011: 1,2 3,5
2012: 3,8 1,6

A team that was seeded 5th or lower has made the conference finals 5 years in a row and 8 of the last 10 years so yes anything is possible. And it's even more true now considering no team is unbeatable and parity is in full force

Thanks for this compilation and I totally agree with your last sentence.  Doesn't mean it's going to happen but the potential is there.

amen lol. a lot of people seem like they would be a lot less stressed out if they gave up watching. sure i do my share of cursing and swearing when they get scored on or lose, but i also realize its a part of the game. i watch it to enjoy it, not get stressed over it. i do not stress over which i cannot control.

Ok.  Maybe except for the refs.   :shout:

#535 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

O worked all day. How did Dekeyser and Sheahan loo in todays game? Just be reading the box score-shot pretty even and a 1-0 lose looks like it was a close tight game, playoff type of game. Did the kids do good? bad?

#536 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Agreed.  If you're going to talk about parity you can't just talk about one team.  That's the whole idea.  It's about what's happening around the league to all the teams.  Some are better, some are worse but it is evening out.  You also have to talk about perspective, not the Immediate Reward Thing.    The good teams will suffer soon enough, and the iffy teams will find a way to come back.  In time.  Not in our time.  It just keeps cycling and it will never, ever agree with our sense of what should be happening for our team right now.

#537 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

The only kinds of teams who are on the downslope that don't eventually come back are those that have incompetent management who waste draft picks and make bad trades that hurt the long-term viability of the team.  While I do not agree with everything Ken Holland has done, he is far from incompetent.  And no, we do not need to ask him to retire or fire him.  That's absurd.  Installing a new regime now would only set the rebuilding process back.

This is what happens when your roster turns over and you haven't had a good draft pick for 21 years.  No team can perpetuate that kind of success.  It just doesn't work that way.  This is what a rebuilding team looks like, and we had better get used to it.

Edited by DetroitRedWings1993, 07 April 2013 - 05:40 PM.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#538 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

Well then you better not watch and be disappointed if that's what you think.

I'll still be around.  The problem is most of the same players will be as well.  Although if Flip for some reason leaves in Free Agency, this would be a BAD thing obviously....

The only kinds of teams who are on the downslope that don't eventually come back are those that have incompetent management who waste draft picks and make bad trades that hurt the long-term viability of the team.  While I do not agree with everything Ken Holland has done, he is far from incompetent.  And no, we do not need to ask him to retire or fire him.  That's absurd.  Installing a new regime now would only set the rebuilding process back.

This is what happens when your roster turns over and you haven't had a good draft pick for 21 years.  No team can perpetuate that kind of success.  It just doesn't work that way.  This is what a rebuilding team looks like, and we had better get used to it.

^^^ what he said.

Get a clue already.

#539 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

This team relies on Datsyuk and Howard to win games for them way too much no one else seems to have any impact overall. Couldn't even manage a goal and now have back2back losses coming up from SJ and CHI. So sad that the Blue Jackets or Oilers will bounce the Red Wings for that final playoff spot.

Edited by Yak19, 07 April 2013 - 05:43 PM.

#540 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,892 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

Blues are the superior team right now, they are younger, bigger, meaner and now even better in the standings but that was to be expected. As much as it pains me to say it, this is just a bubble playoffteam and the FORCED worst Wings edition since almost two decades. I enjoy watching the kids grow and learn together, but deep in my mind I know fully well that this is not the team the Wings would be icing, if hockey would at least take a page from the MLB.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..