#541 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:06 PM

cup? early exit?

s*** ill call it a success if they make the playoffs

holland knew the team had problems before the season even started he didnt make any moves except dekeyser.

#542 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Goals forward for us this year 99

Goals against us this year 101.

Not. Very. Good.

#543 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

All-time, the Club has scored fewer than one-hundred goals after the first thirty-nine games a total of nineteen times; the last time, before today, being 1963-64.

Exactly ninety-nine goals have been scored after the first thirty-nine games in three seasons; the last time, before today, in 1955-56.

In the modern-Conference era, the Club had never scored fewer than one-hundred goals after the first thirty-nine games, until today.

Edited by cusimano_brothers, 07 April 2013 - 08:18 PM.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#544 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Blues are the superior team right now, they are younger, bigger, meaner and now even better in the standings but that was to be expected. As much as it pains me to say it, this is just a bubble playoffteam and the FORCED worst Wings edition since almost two decades. I enjoy watching the kids grow and learn together, but deep in my mind I know fully well that this is not the team the Wings would be icing, if hockey would at least take a page from the MLB.

Lol, maybe, but that game was incredibly even.  Somebody had to win.  I wouldn't call one team superior over the other based on that game.

#545 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,220 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

This team relies on Datsyuk and Howard to win games for them way too much no one else seems to have any impact overall. Couldn't even manage a goal and now have back2back losses coming up from SJ and CHI. So sad that the Blue Jackets or Oilers will bounce the Red Wings for that final playoff spot.

Well then don't watch so you won't be disappointed. 

#546 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

The seeds that have made the conference finals since 2002:
2002: 1,2 3,4
2003: 6,7 1,2
2004: 2,6 1,3
2006: 6,8 2,4
2007: 1,2 1,4
2008: 1,5 2,6
2009: 2,4 4,6
2010: 1,2 7,8
2011: 1,2 3,5
2012: 3,8 1,6

A team that was seeded 5th or lower has made the conference finals 5 years in a row and 8 of the last 10 years so yes anything is possible. And it's even more true now considering no team is unbeatable and parity is in full force

I didn't realize they started giving out the Stanley Cup for teams making it to the Conference Finals.  Is that the goal now, Conference Finals?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#547 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:16 PM

What do we have to do to get someone to attack the net?  Skate, skate, skate...pass, pass, pass...back pass...shot from the perimeter...back the other way. 

DRIVE THEf****** NET!

I'm glad someone pointed this out.  When you have an abundance of skill players - especially certain American and Swedish defensemen who are experts at getting shots through from the perimeter, driving the net becomes less of a priority.

However, when you've lost those players and have replaced them with basically Kronwall and nothing else, driving the net becomes crucial to getting the puck into the scoring zone.  This is one of the main reasons why this team's personnel or strategy needs to be revamped.

Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#548 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

I didn't realize they started giving out the Stanley Cup for teams making it to the Conference Finals.  Is that the goal now, Conference Finals?

I remember Babcock talking about how getting to the final four was considered a good year. And there would be 26 other teams that would trade places with us if we got there.

Edit: and way to completely miss the point I was making. I was pointing out that the playoffs are completely random and every team has a chance to win it, not that the conference finals are the main goal.

Edited by Wings4Life19, 07 April 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#549 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

Would that be SOOO bad?  I mean, for christsakes, we're fighting for a playoff spot and you're shrugging off our last chance at a Western Conference Final appearance...  So, sorry that your team will disappoint unless we win the friggin' Cup.

Oh, right... we have absolutely no chance of making the WCF.

Edited by e_prime, 07 April 2013 - 09:40 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#550 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

When I play hockey, I have the same championship or bust mentality.  When it comes to the Wings though, I don't have a stake in them winning the cup.  They will or won't rise to the occasion.  Nothing I do or say is going to impact them.  That being said, should the Stanley Cup be the only end result goal for the Wings in the post cap era?  I don't agree.  I don't think anyone expected this team to roll to a cup.  That being said, there is always the chance this team catches fire and makes a statement.

I guess we will see how it goes.  I just don't think we should be holding the Wings to the "cup or bust" standard anymore.  Its not like we bought the best team in hockey like we did for about 10 years.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#551 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

Sigh.

#552 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 04:05 AM

I'm glad someone pointed this out.  When you have an abundance of skill players - especially certain American and Swedish defensemen who are experts at getting shots through from the perimeter, driving the net becomes less of a priority.

However, when you've lost those players and have replaced them with basically Kronwall and nothing else, driving the net becomes crucial to getting the puck into the scoring zone.  This is one of the main reasons why this team's personnel or strategy needs to be revamped.

This is one of the main reasons why we presently suck. It's an identity crisis. It's limbo. It's stuck-in-the-middle-with-you.

It's bulls***.

Are we a kill-with-skill puck-posession team? I hope not, because we don't have the personnel.

Are we a crash-and-bang and grind-it-out kind of team? I hope not, because our top six is soft as silk (and, really, our bottom six ain't so hot either). Which is to say: we don't have the personnel.

We are amazing at playing the perimeter in the o-zone. Watch us pass, and pass some more, and hey, how about some more pa--WHOA! A SHOT FROM THE POINT! BY - wait for it - KRONWALL! BET THEY DIDN'T SEE THAT ONE COM--EMERICK: "...and [insert name of some no-name goalie who is making us look stupid] makes the easy save and holds on for the whistle." [Shot of ttly frusterated Filppula. Because, holy. effing. ess. What do we have to do to score against this guy?!?!?!]

Of course, this is sort of classic Red Wings. We did this kind of stuff even when we were great. Remember when Babcock's Ducks swept us in the first round? Soft perimeter play, and timely defensive lapses. (Note: I'm not necessarily saying that Wings team was great.) Remember last season? Soft perimeter play, and timely defensive lapses. (You'd think we'd learn. Or something.)

Thing is, though, we used to have a s***-ton of skill, talent, moxy, mojo, all that good stuff that can win you a game seven even if you only show up for the last eight minutes of it. A few times we even assembled a - gasp - really, really solid, balanced team. And we wreaked havoc. And Cups were won. And we all rejoiced.

But back to the present.

I'm so glad Holland has sat on his hands for the past however-many-seasons, and that he seems perfectly content to keep doing so until the end of time. (Because, derp, This Is The Cap Era.) And, each season, people will find a way to ttly justificate it. (Because, derp, This Is The Cap Era.)

This Season: "Holland would be a DAMN FOOL to make a move of any kind whatsoever at this point in time!"

Last Season: "Holland would be a DAMN FOOL to make a move of any kind whatsoever at this point in time!"

The Season Before That: "Holland would be a DAMN FOOL to make a move of any kind whatsoever at this point in time!"

The Season Before That : "Holland would be a DAMN FOOL to make a move of any kind whatsoever at this point in time!"

To whom much is given, much is expected. Mothereffers.

I want the Detroit F****** Red Wings back. Where'd they go? I dunno. But I miss them. And I want them back.

(Cue the generic "You're just spoiled! You want a Cup every season - but that's not reality!!!!111oneone" response.)

[/TEH ANGERZ]

Edited by Dabura, 08 April 2013 - 04:17 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#553 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,008 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:06 AM

A word or two about skill and puck-possession and all that jazz as it pertains to our beloved DRW:

- You need a Nick Lidstrom. I mean, he doesn't actually have to be a Nick Lidstrom. He could be, oh, I dunno, Jay Bouwmeester (ha! As if he'd ever be available!) What I'm saying is, if you don't have a good puck-moving defenseman, forget it. You can't kill with skill. You can't possesst with zest.

"BUT WHAT'S THAT HAVE TO DO WITH OUR DRW?" you ask? No idea. I just thought it sounded smart.

- The problem with being Ultra-Skilled Puck-Possessor Ninja like we've had been since Fedorov et al.? Here are the things at which you, a USPP Ninja, excel:

- Skill

- Possessing the puck

- Skating (sort of)

- Looking pretty

- "Crazy moves and s***"

- PP/Enforcing

...And here are the things you suck at:

- Everything else

I've said this a bajillion times before, : we are were good with the puck, when we had it. And that's pretty much it. When was the last time we had a really big, physical team? When was the last time we had a really fast team? When was the last time we had the best goalie in the league, no questions asked?

Skill. With the puck. When we had the puck. And the other team didn't have the puck. Because we had the puck. (Ninja.)

That's what we've been up to since the mid-90s. That's the secret to our success. Actually, those three championship rosters (excluding '02, because, c'mon) - that was It. That was the Top of the Red Wings Pops. Because it was more than skill. With the puck. When we had the puck. And the other team didn't have the puck. Because we had the puck. We had balls. And teeth. And muscle. (And eyes - and a nose! And ears!!! OH MY GOD - IT'S A FACE!!!!!!!!) We could switch things up if we had to. We could hurt you in multiple ways. We had Larry. Effing. Murphy. BEFORE THE HOT DOGS.

But, for the most part, it's been underpants skill --> [ . . . ] --> Profit.

And now we can't do it no more. And this is problematic.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#554 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,926 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

Fil is probably wishing he was a UFA last year and not this one..He makes 3 mill/per and the way he is playing he shouldn't get a dime more.  Over handles the puck every single play.  

This
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#555 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:02 AM

I want the Detroit F****** Red Wings back. Where'd they go? I dunno. But I miss them. And I want them back.

(Cue the generic "You're just spoiled! You want a Cup every season - but that's not reality!!!!111oneone" response.)

[/TEH ANGERZ]

So, do you think you are spoiled because you want the cup every season?

Do you know where the Detroit Red Wings went?  The Wings can no longer buy the best team in hockey to play for them.  You can blame the salary cap.  You can blame small market teams whining about no league parity.  You can blame the fans of these small market teams getting upset because their teams cannot compete.  Henceforth, the salary cap was made.

So, in this post salary cap era, less deals are being done.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#556 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Sigh.

You walked in right in the middle of something you didn't see play out.  I assume that's why you're acting so exasperated, or condescending, or whatever this is.  The guy I was responding to took me out of context as well, I assume in an effort to be argumentative.  Initially, I said that because an eighth seed won the Cup last year doesn't mean that if you "make the playoffs, anything can happen".  It happened once...ever.  So it really can't.  Then that guy hit me with a bunch of stats about how low ranking teams make it to the Conference Finals all the time.  Which is true...but in no way does that mean that "anything can happen".  Those teams don't win the cup, so again, it can't. 

I don't know whether you agree with that or not, but I figured I'd clarify because it's obvious from you "sigh" that you're real butt hurt about something. 

Edited by kipwinger, 08 April 2013 - 10:07 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#557 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

The goal is to win the Cup every year and every year we don't is a complete and utter failure

#558 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:30 AM

No team in any sport can compete at a championship level every single season.  Fans here are so spoiled and have such a sense of entitlement.  Even with the best players in the world, this team didn't win it every year or even make it out of the first round every year.   The best team with the most talent doesn't win the Cup. There are so many variables involved. So this year, all the teams that fans having been drooling over, Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago, St. Louis...one of them will not win the Cup.  So are they all complete and utter failures also?  Players age, injuries happen, an opposing goalie gets hot, an unknown scores big goals.  It happens.  You're going to lead a life of disappointment if you think the Wings or any team should be a championship level team every year.

#559 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,572 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:36 AM

Yep, we're spoiled because we want our team to win and aren't pleased with subpar effort, arguable roster decisions, and management inaction.  Good call. 

I'm a little tired of this "well you must not have been a fan during the Dead Wings era or you'd appreciate your team more" argument.  Holy cow, you're an older fan and have seen worse teams?  Obviously you must love the Wings more and therefore deserve to be condescending about it. 

We're not spoiled. 

We care as much as everyone else around here does.  We just disagree with the current direction.  

#560 Nightfall

Nightfall

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:58 AM

You walked in right in the middle of something you didn't see play out.  I assume that's why you're acting so exasperated, or condescending, or whatever this is.  The guy I was responding to took me out of context as well, I assume in an effort to be argumentative.  Initially, I said that because an eighth seed won the Cup last year doesn't mean that if you "make the playoffs, anything can happen".  It happened once...ever.  So it really can't.  Then that guy hit me with a bunch of stats about how low ranking teams make it to the Conference Finals all the time.  Which is true...but in no way does that mean that "anything can happen".  Those teams don't win the cup, so again, it can't. 

I don't know whether you agree with that or not, but I figured I'd clarify because it's obvious from you "sigh" that you're real butt hurt about something. 

Well, to be fair, in the salary cap era, which consists of 7 playoff teams, we have had the following seeds win the cup....

Carolina - 2

Ducks - 2

Red Wings - 1

Pittsburgh - 4

Chicago - 2

Boston - 3

Kings - 8

Since we are in uncharted territory here, with incredible parity, I don't think its accurate to say an 8th seed has only won once.  The landscape has changed.  We start looking at the salary cap era and beyond.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain