• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nightfall

NHL comes back stronger than ever

Rate this topic

As much as I dislike Bettman, he's not stupid. I'm sure he had done extensive research and cost-benefit analysis on how much of the season he could lose and how much damage to fans and sponsors he could do before it became irreparable. A whole season obviously being too much, but half a season being worth it.

The short term losses are really just the price the owners are willing to pay for the much better deal they got for 10 years. It's unfortunate for those put out of work that aren't billionaires and millionaires. And for us fans who once again lost more hockey.

At least it'll be 10 years before he locks the players out again. And I guess there's the off chance he won't be commissioner.

Perhaps it less about die hards and more about people that realize it's just a sport that we watch for our enjoyment and therefore not a serious issue to be declaring boycotts about and such. :lol:

I don't remember you particularly having such a lighthearted attitude about things when the lockout was on.

For me it's kind of like voting. If a person doesn't vote, I don't want to hear them complaining about government. If that person runs back and gives money to the NHL, they really shouldn't be complaining about the lockout. They're the ones who are making it such a profitable move for Bettman and the owners.

Perhaps it less about die hards and more about people that realize it's just a sport that we watch for our enjoyment and therefore not a serious issue to be declaring boycotts about and such. :lol:

Good call. During the lockout I had no skin in the game. I just wanted to watch hockey because baseball was about to be over and those are the only two sports I watch. I couldn't have cared less whether Bettman "won" or Fehr "won". I just wanted the product back and ran back with open arms when it finally was.

For me it's kind of like voting. If a person doesn't vote, I don't want to hear them complaining about government. If that person runs back and gives money to the NHL, they really shouldn't be complaining about the lockout. They're the ones who are making it such a profitable move for Bettman and the owners.

Well, I for one didn't enjoy the lockout because they were depriving me of a product I consume. That product was out of stock, but now that they are stocked back up, I choose to consume that product again. I can be upset the lockout occurred but continue to be a consumer of said product.

If I don't like the candidates in the race, do I have to vote for either? Voting for someone other than the two primaries is pretty much a throwaway vote. I know, I've done it twice now.

Pretty much guarantees Bettman will lock us all out again when the CBA expires, to get what he wants from the players then.

there is way to dodge future lockouts. dismantle nhlpa. they seem odd on this picture. always have.

Guest RedWingsDad

I don't remember you particularly having such a lighthearted attitude about things when the lockout was on.

Then you either have a very poor memory or are being purposefully deceitful. I stated on numerous occasions that I would not be boycotting the NHL due to the lockout because it is something I participate in for enjoyment, and that it doesn't make sense for me to reduce my enjoyment even more through a boycott. As a matter of fact, I stated this thing to you specifically on several occasions, both in forum threads and in PM's. Keep grinding that axe...

Then you either have a very poor memory or are being purposefully deceitful. I stated on numerous occasions that I would not be boycotting the NHL due to the lockout because it is something I participate in for enjoyment, and that it doesn't make sense for me to reduce my enjoyment even more through a boycott. As a matter of fact, I stated this thing to you specifically on several occasions, both in forum threads and in PM's. Keep grinding that axe...

Wow.

I should've put something like this :P after the post because it was meant as a lighthearted joke. My bad for not conveying the spirit with which it was intended.

I'm glad the lockout is behind us and I'm really not interested in reliving it. I should've never responded in the thread.

I still love this game and this team, but as I got used to no hockey, I got used to no hockey. I don't watch many games outside of Wings' games and my interest level has definitely waned a bit, but I'm not going anywhere. It's like I realized I'm almost too busy to watch hockey.

This is exactly how I feel too. During the lockout I got used to no hockey and started to realize how much time and energy I had been wasting devoting my time to watching some game on the idiot box. I still love the game and the Wings, but now I pretty much never watch any games other than the Wings unless I literally have absolutely zero else to do. My interest has waned to the point were I have actually even forgot that Wings games were on a couple times until I turned on the tube and saw it midgame. That would have never happened to me in years past...

I'm not going to lie, the lockout had it's effect on me. I still love this game and this team, but as I got used to no hockey, I got used to no hockey. I don't watch many games outside of Wings' games and my interest level has definitely waned a bit, but I'm not going anywhere. It's like I realized I'm almost too busy to watch hockey.

That's funny, because I remember numerous conversations here where people are talked down to for buying 'illegitimate' jerseys.

One of the pilots at work brought me back an official NHL Zetterberg Wings jersey from Shanghai. It apparently cost $15. Best part, it is made in Canada, sold in China. Everything sold in Canada is made in China.... I'm amused by this.

I'm not sure why the NHLPA seems odd to you given the long history of player's unions in major pro sports.

And the NHLPA was brought in cause players had no medical benefits, had to pay for their own moves when they got traded and if they got injured and couldn't play anymore, they ended up homeless and one of Ted Lindsay's old teammates died in his car that he was living in. The NHLPA has gotten out of control with demands and the main thing I wish was gone was player agents. If you're too stupid to tell your GM why YOU think you should make the money you want, then your dumbass can play for a couple million less.

One of the pilots at work brought me back an official NHL Zetterberg Wings jersey from Shanghai. It apparently cost $15. Best part, it is made in Canada, sold in China. Everything sold in Canada is made in China.... I'm amused by this.

If I recall, the knock offs I purchased also read 'Canada'. Fairly positive that's just what they put on the tags, I can all but assure you they're made in China.

If I recall, the knock offs I purchased also read 'Canada'. Fairly positive that's just what they put on the tags, I can all but assure you they're made in China.

Not sure if it's a knock off, but apparently the one's from Shanghai are official NHL and it's a Reebok with a tie down, so who knows. Either way, it's Z and it's badass.

I'm just glad The Powers at Be were able to rein in the Devils. How many Cups has Lou bought them? Seems like every season from the mid-90s right up the switch they were just running on money and local goodwill (The Meadowlands being, as we all know, one of the hockey capitals of the world). And every time a big-time UFA hit the market? You knew there was about a 60% chance he was bound for "Greener Meadows."

F*** them. Them and the Stars.

"Oooo, look at us, we're the Dallas Stars! La-la-la-la-la-la-la!"

You know why their colors are green & black, right? Green for money - and black for the way they burned through it.

Such greed, stupidity, incompetence.

I would rather take the $400 I would spend on the NHL Winter Classic tickets, go downtown Detroit, and spend that money watching the game at a local restaurant or bar. I would spend about $100 there, and then go to the next bar or restaurant, watch the game and drop another $100. In the end, I would have given $400 to the people who were really affected by the lockout and not the NHL or NHLPA.

I know, it all comes down to personal preference and I don't disagree with what you are doing. I do hope you enjoy the Winter Classic. I am just venting at this point, and probably will be for a little bit longer. The wounds are still fresh.

And what you're doing is very understandable and your plan is a great one and very good for those business owners that were hit hard by the lockout. Good on ya.