• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

frankgrimes, thank you so much for your concern about my career.  As you can tell from the article, I'm not really worried about my prospects.

As long as the players and the NHLPA are willing to see reason, there will be no cause for another lockout.

Turn blue, Bettman.  

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#22 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:17 AM

I certainly wasn't going to support the NHL during the lockout, instead of Wings gear I was buying Tigers gear.  However, I am not going to deprive myself of the WC in spite of the lockout.  It's stronger than ever because the die hards couldn't stay away, and there appears to be a lot of them.

Perhaps it less about die hards and more about people that realize it's just a sport that we watch for our enjoyment and therefore not a serious issue to be declaring boycotts about and such. :lol:

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#23 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,420 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

Wonderful, just what they need validation for the lockout.

I have held true to my promise of spending no money on the NHL, lot of good it did.

I know many other people that have held true to the same promise, but there are just too many people willing to spend on it.

I too have found my interest waning  sure I check scores now, and I log in to LGW, but at the start of the season I was watching every game on TV. I couldn't get enough hockey. Now the newness of it being back has warn off and I am back to feeling like the league and players don't give a crap about the fans.

While people struggle in this country to make ends meet and keep food on the table, these millionaires and billionaires play around with other's hard earned money.

Look at the lowest paid player in the NHL, and tell me that with that kind of pay the average American could not thrive. Hell, he makes $55,0000 more than the president of the US a year.

Yet these rich players and owners gave nothing back to the people who pay for them to do what they are doing.

What long term thank you did they give the fans when they came back?

The league is carrying itself like it doesn't need the fans, while fans are acting like they cannot live without the NHL.

Yet many of us have lined up expecting it to be different, that they won't Shart all over us again in 7 years.

Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results

The NHL and sports leagues in general are no better than EXXON, AT&T, HSBC or any other corporate entity that lives off of it's workers\customers and sticks it to them the first chance the execs have a chance to make more money.

Pro sports in general with all of these work stoppages and lockouts are wearing thin on me, I think the real problem is none of them expected us to throw so much money at them, and now they have no idea how to divvy it all up, who gets the bigger share.

But they are all giving us so much back, I can only imagine their PR meetings going something like this:

**Warning the following took place completely in my head, I know it seems real, but it was made up!**

"The fans, screw them.

Oh wait, I got an idea we should shoot twice as many T-shirts out to these fans that someone else paid for (because Bell Tire or Meyer's paid for the t-shirts not the Wings, or any other sport org.) and they will think we are giving them prizes.

The fans will think we love them, when really we love money generated by letting AMWAY put their logo all over the T-shirt before we have some half naked ice girl shoot it out of a cannon with a Miller Lite Sports Bra on!

We can let a farm equipment company pay us thousands of dollars a year to put a t-shirt cannon on a four-wheeler and launch them that way too.

The 40 fans out of 20,000 a night that get a T-shirt will love us, if they can put down the $8 beer and $5 hot dog to catch it!

Then when we ask them to help pay for new arenas we can say, well we gave you free stuff, why can't you help pay us back.

Sounds good right, all in favor?"

I should have bought more knock off jerseys from China, apparently the league doesn't need my money, I should use it in the manner that best suits me.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#24 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

I'm not going to lie, the lockout had it's effect on me.  I still love this game and this team, but as I got used to no hockey, I got used to no hockey.  I don't watch many games outside of Wings' games and my interest level has definitely waned a bit, but I'm not going anywhere.  It's like I realized I'm almost too busy to watch hockey.

I should have bought more knock off jerseys from China, apparently the league doesn't need my money, I should use it in the manner that best suits me.

That's funny, because I remember numerous conversations here where people are talked down to for buying 'illegitimate' jerseys.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#25 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Even though I knew there was going to be a lockout, I bought WC tickets.  They went on sale in August last year, before the lockout was official, and there was no way I was going to chance missing it.  When I had the option after the game was officially canceled, I retained my tickets, because for me, this is a once in a life time opportunity.  People in Michigan have substantially more opportunities to attend Wings' games than I do, so when I get the chance and the means to go...I go.  I've been to 8-9 Wings' games and only one was at the Joe, so this is a big deal for me.  I'm just hoping they release the Winter Festival schedule so I can plan my trip already.

I would rather take the $400 I would spend on the NHL Winter Classic tickets, go downtown Detroit, and spend that money watching the game at a local restaurant or bar.  I would spend about $100 there, and then go to the next bar or restaurant, watch the game and drop another $100.  In the end, I would have given $400 to the people who were really affected by the lockout and not the NHL or NHLPA.

I know, it all comes down to personal preference and I don't disagree with what you are doing.  I do hope you enjoy the Winter Classic.  I am just venting at this point, and probably will be for a little bit longer.  The wounds are still fresh.

• ami likes this
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#26 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

As much as I dislike Bettman, he's not stupid. I'm sure he had done extensive research and cost-benefit analysis on how much of the season he could lose and how much damage to fans and sponsors he could do before it became irreparable. A whole season obviously being too much, but half a season being worth it.

The short term losses are really just the price the owners are willing to pay for the much better deal they got for 10 years. It's unfortunate for those put out of work that aren't billionaires and millionaires. And for us fans who once again lost more hockey.

At least it'll be 10 years before he locks the players out again. And I guess there's the off chance he won't be commissioner.

Perhaps it less about die hards and more about people that realize it's just a sport that we watch for our enjoyment and therefore not a serious issue to be declaring boycotts about and such. :lol:

I don't remember you particularly having such a lighthearted attitude about things when the lockout was on. 

For me it's kind of like voting.  If a person doesn't vote, I don't want to hear them complaining about government.   If that person runs back and gives money to the NHL, they really shouldn't be complaining about the lockout.  They're the ones who are making it such a profitable move for Bettman and the owners. 

#27 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

Good call.  During the lockout I had no skin in the game.  I just wanted to watch hockey because baseball was about to be over and those are the only two sports I watch.  I couldn't have cared less whether Bettman "won" or Fehr "won". I just wanted the product back and ran back with open arms when it finally was. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#28 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

For me it's kind of like voting.  If a person doesn't vote, I don't want to hear them complaining about government.   If that person runs back and gives money to the NHL, they really shouldn't be complaining about the lockout.  They're the ones who are making it such a profitable move for Bettman and the owners. 

Well, I for one didn't enjoy the lockout because they were depriving me of a product I consume.  That product was out of stock, but now that they are stocked back up, I choose to consume that product again.  I can be upset the lockout occurred but continue to be a consumer of said product.

If I don't like the candidates in the race, do I have to vote for either?  Voting for someone other than the two primaries is pretty much a throwaway vote.  I know, I've done it twice now.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#29 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Pretty much guarantees Bettman will lock us all out again when the CBA expires, to get what he wants from the players then.

there is way to dodge future lockouts. dismantle nhlpa. they seem odd on this picture. always have.

#30 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

there is way to dodge future lockouts. dismantle nhlpa. they seem odd on this picture. always have.

I'm not sure why the NHLPA seems odd to you given the long history of player's unions in major pro sports.  

#31 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:23 PM

Great. Embolden "The Penguin" some more, why don't we.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#32 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

BettmanPenguin.jpg

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#33 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

I don't remember you particularly having such a lighthearted attitude about things when the lockout was on. 

Then you either have a very poor memory or are being purposefully deceitful. I stated on numerous occasions that I would not be boycotting the NHL due to the lockout because it is something I participate in for enjoyment, and that it doesn't make sense for me to reduce my enjoyment even more through a boycott. As a matter of fact, I stated this thing to you specifically on several occasions, both in forum threads and in PM's. Keep grinding that axe...

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#34 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

Then you either have a very poor memory or are being purposefully deceitful. I stated on numerous occasions that I would not be boycotting the NHL due to the lockout because it is something I participate in for enjoyment, and that it doesn't make sense for me to reduce my enjoyment even more through a boycott. As a matter of fact, I stated this thing to you specifically on several occasions, both in forum threads and in PM's. Keep grinding that axe...

Wow.

I should've put something like this :P after the post because it was meant as a lighthearted joke.  My bad for not conveying the spirit with which it was intended.

I'm glad the lockout is behind us and I'm really not interested in reliving it.  I should've never responded in the thread.

#35 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:22 PM

I still love this game and this team, but as I got used to no hockey, I got used to no hockey.  I don't watch many games outside of Wings' games and my interest level has definitely waned a bit, but I'm not going anywhere.  It's like I realized I'm almost too busy to watch hockey.

This is exactly how I feel too.  During the lockout I got used to no  hockey and started to realize how much time and energy I had been wasting devoting my time to watching some game on the idiot box.  I still love the game and the Wings, but now I pretty much never watch any games other than the Wings unless I literally have absolutely zero else to do.  My interest has waned to the point were I have actually even forgot that Wings games were on a couple times until I turned on the tube and saw it midgame.  That would have never happened to me in years past...

#36 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

I'm not going to lie, the lockout had it's effect on me.  I still love this game and this team, but as I got used to no hockey, I got used to no hockey.  I don't watch many games outside of Wings' games and my interest level has definitely waned a bit, but I'm not going anywhere.  It's like I realized I'm almost too busy to watch hockey.

That's funny, because I remember numerous conversations here where people are talked down to for buying 'illegitimate' jerseys.

One of the pilots at work brought me back an official NHL Zetterberg Wings jersey from Shanghai.  It apparently cost $15.  Best part, it is made in Canada, sold in China.  Everything sold in Canada is made in China....  I'm amused by this.

I'm not sure why the NHLPA seems odd to you given the long history of player's unions in major pro sports.  

And the NHLPA was brought in cause players had no medical benefits, had to pay for their own moves when they got traded and if they got injured and couldn't play anymore, they ended up homeless and one of Ted Lindsay's old teammates died in his car that he was living in.  The NHLPA has gotten out of control with demands and the main thing I wish was gone was player agents.  If you're too stupid to tell your GM why YOU think you should make the money you want, then your dumbass can play for a couple million less.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#37 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:12 PM

One of the pilots at work brought me back an official NHL Zetterberg Wings jersey from Shanghai.  It apparently cost $15.  Best part, it is made in Canada, sold in China.  Everything sold in Canada is made in China....  I'm amused by this.

If I recall, the knock offs I purchased also read 'Canada'. Fairly positive that's just what they put on the tags, I can all but assure you they're made in China.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#38 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

If I recall, the knock offs I purchased also read 'Canada'. Fairly positive that's just what they put on the tags, I can all but assure you they're made in China.

Not sure if it's a knock off, but apparently the one's from Shanghai are official NHL and it's a Reebok with a tie down, so who knows.  Either way, it's Z and it's badass.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#39 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:46 AM

Fun Fact: If it weren't for Detroit being in the League, I wouldn't be following any NHL hockey in this lockout-truncated season.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#40 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

I'm just glad The Powers at Be were able to rein in the Devils. How many Cups has Lou bought them? Seems like every season from the mid-90s right up the switch they were just running on money and local goodwill (The Meadowlands being, as we all know, one of the hockey capitals of the world). And every time a big-time UFA hit the market? You knew there was about a 60% chance he was bound for "Greener Meadows."

F*** them. Them and the Stars.

"Oooo, look at us, we're the Dallas Stars! La-la-la-la-la-la-la!"

You know why their colors are green & black, right? Green for money - and black for the way they burned through it.

Such greed, stupidity, incompetence.

Don't Toews me, bro!