• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jeff48109

Helm might be out for season

Rate this topic

The article and tweet basically states what we all know. He might be done for the season.

With 9 games left it's pretty likely unless the Wings make the playoffs and pull of a miraculous run. Either way, they're not declaring it absolutely yet.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/04/red_wings_preparing_to_go_with.html

Was sitting during the lockout a factor here? Jumping back into the league when you're not in game-shape can open up the door to injury like this. Other Wings have admitted recently that perhaps they shouldn't have sat during the lockout (was it Howard who was especially vocal about this?). I wonder if this hurt Helmer. Oh well, hopefully he gets a fresh start in the fall.

I've been real pessimistic about his return. In fact, I really wonder if he'll ever come back. If he does, how many minutes into the game until he gets hurt again?

Lame, as much as I love Helm he literally has proved to be useless this year and a good portion of last.

You mean just like Crosby has to the Penguins? Dude severed his wrist last year in the 1st playoff game and has a severe back issue this year. Not much can be done about this kind of stuff. Just like Crosby taking a clapper off the chicklets. These things just happen in the NHL.

I'm surprised Helm won't be playing this season......said nobody who's been following his injury this year.

More surprising is Babcock saying that Flip is being dropped to centering the 3rd line now between Cleary & Brunner with Miller moving up to the 2nd with Franzen & Nyquist.

The most surprising part of it is that I though it was reported a couple weeks back that he was practicing with the team and that he was close to a return?? Moving Flip down spreads more wealth to all 3 lines, though i'd like Goose with Brunner, it may help us get more than 0 goals next game having offense spread on 3 lines. Glad that Brunner will be back too. As for Helm, he must have tweaked something or re-injured his back to be out for the rest of the season.

Hopefully he's back to full strength next year, he's one of my favorite players to watch. I'd love to see him on a line with Tootoo on his wing. I can't even imagine how badly they could frustrate other teams.

This is why you don't bank on players coming back from injuries to be your additions.

I doubt Bertuzzi plays either and who cares if Samuelsson does?

All wings fans should care. Samuelsson would really help our devoting issues.

i don't think you understood me, he has been useless because he's been injured.

There's definitely better ways to describe the hardest working Red Wings player than useless though. Like "unfortunate" would be the way to describe our loss of Helm. Then the many Helm fans will stop biting your head off.

Unfortunate news but not surprising to anyone here. He's a great 3rd line guy and PK'er. Hope he comes back strong and healthy and at this point I would rather him sit the remainder of this year and heal properly. I don't know how much of a difference he would have made overall to this team. I kind of think we would be in the same place or just a little better.

Guest Crymson

i don't think you understood me, he has been useless because he's been injured.

"Useless" is a pejorative term, so what you're trying is obvious.

With 9 games left, it's best if Helm sits out and gets fully better for next year. I would not want Helm to rush back play 1 game and do more serious damage. We're going to need him healthy for next year

Guest The Axe

Used to it by now. We need goal scorers. Nyquist looks great so far, but we need a sniper or 2.

Guest DeGraa55

That's the problem with back injuries. I highly doubt he makes it through next year with no problems....this isn't really surprising to us realist. The optimist are disappointed I'm sure.

This is why you don't bank on players coming back from injuries to be your additions.

This. This post.

It doesn't surprise me that Helm needs more time. You don't f*** around with back issues. I said in the other Helm thread that it felt, to me, almost like they were rushing him back. And then, whaddayaknow, a setback.

I give him credit for being as "positive" as he's been in his interviews over the course of the season. I'd carry a cane and chase the media away, hurling expletives and such. Because, seriously, back pain is death.

And then, what, Bert's just magically better? Come on.

Sammy gets a 3-year extension this summer. "We like his size." Calling it now.

And yes - OFFSEASON ACQUISITIONS FTW!!!!!111

Edited by Dabura

I've had a chronic back injury since I turned 23, four years now. One herniated and one bulging disc...I have no idea how you could play NHL hockey let alone Helm's type style. I love Helm as a player and what he brings to this team. If this ends up being career ending it will be yet another sad, very unfortunate loss for the organization. Terribly sad for Helm as a person. I really hope he can recover.

I am getting really tired of seeing great players careers cut short. I was just talking to my Wife about this the other day. Imagine how different the history of this sport would look if we wouldn't have lost all or most of the careers of Orr, Lemieux, Lindros, Bossy, etc. But just as frustrating is how hard the phenomenon has hit the Red Wings, in the case of players in thier prime. Konstantinov, Fischer, and Grigorenko's careers were ruined within the span of 7 years. Konstantinov was one of the best defenseman of his generation, Fischer was a cornerstone of the next generation of Wings, and Grigorenko was primed to become a fixture in the top six for years to come. Darren Helm's career has just begun...i truly hope things work out for him.

Edited by achildr1

Guest The Axe

I've had a chronic back injury since I turned 23, four years now. One herniated and one bulging disc...I have no idea how you could play NHL hockey let alone Helm's type style. I love Helm as a player and what he brings to this team. If this ends up being career ending it will be yet another sad, very unfortunate loss for the organization. Terribly sad for Helm as a person. I really hope he can recover.

I am getting really tired of seeing great players careers cut short. I was just talking to my Wife about this the other day. Imagine how different the history of this sport would look if we wouldn't have lost all or most of the careers of Orr, Lemieux, Lindros, Bossy, etc. But just as frustrating is how hard the phenomenon has hit the Red Wings, in the case of players in thier prime. Konstantinov, Fischer, and Grigorenko's careers were ruined within the span of 7 years. Konstantinov was one of the best defenseman of his generation, Fischer was a cornerstone of the next generation of Wings, and Grigorenko was primed to become a fixture in the top six for years to come. Darren Helm's career has just begun...i truly hope things work out for him.

Great post. A like doesn't do this one justice.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't really think they were counting on him coming back, regardless of what they said. Remember this is the same management which said it was committed to a rebuild, but only after missing out on Jagr. Said that the last six games before the deadline would determine their activity level, and then balked after the team performed quite well. Said that they were only looking for high end talent, and then effectively ensured that wouldn't happen by taking their prospects and 1st round pick off the table. We can't really count on the fact that we're being told anything accurate these days.

They're saying these things because it sounds a lot better than, "we're in trouble this season and we're not quite sure what to do to fix it". Perhaps in KH's mind paying lip service is a much better idea than telling everyone what they already know.

Why miller? He doesn't create anything offensively. If there gonna do that then it should be someone like eaves moving up. Even tootoo would be better than miller on that line.

It does sound like a pretty good third line tho

I guess there is another piano that needs to be carried.

Eaves has a hell of a shot, I don't know why they don't use him whenever they need a winger for Datsyuk.

Helm's absence is really hurting this team. It's like night and day when he's in/out of a game. I was hoping to get him back in time for playoffs. Now I just hope he comes back someday.