Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

well at least they aren't forcing anything. probably for the best

#42 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

This is why you don't bank on players coming back from injuries to be your additions.

I doubt Bertuzzi plays either and who cares if Samuelsson does?

This. This post.

It doesn't surprise me that Helm needs more time. You don't f*** around with back issues. I said in the other Helm thread that it felt, to me, almost like they were rushing him back. And then, whaddayaknow, a setback.

I give him credit for being as "positive" as he's been in his interviews over the course of the season. I'd carry a cane and chase the media away, hurling expletives and such. Because, seriously, back pain is death.

And then, what, Bert's just magically better? Come on.

Sammy gets a 3-year extension this summer. "We like his size." Calling it now.

And yes - OFFSEASON ACQUISITIONS FTW!!!!!111

Edited by Dabura, 09 April 2013 - 02:20 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#43 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

I've had a chronic back injury since I turned 23, four years now. One herniated and one bulging disc...I have no idea how you could play NHL hockey let alone Helm's type style. I love Helm as a player and what he brings to this team. If this ends up being career ending it will be yet another sad, very unfortunate loss for the organization. Terribly sad for Helm as a person. I really hope he can recover.

I am getting really tired of seeing great players careers cut short. I was just talking to my Wife about this the other day. Imagine how different the history of this sport would look if we wouldn't have lost all or most of the careers of Orr, Lemieux, Lindros, Bossy, etc. But just as frustrating is how hard the phenomenon has hit the Red Wings, in the case of players in thier prime. Konstantinov, Fischer, and Grigorenko's careers were ruined within the span of 7 years. Konstantinov was one of the best defenseman of his generation, Fischer was a cornerstone of the next generation of Wings, and Grigorenko was primed to become a fixture in the top six for years to come. Darren Helm's career has just begun...i truly hope things work out for him.

Edited by achildr1, 09 April 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#44 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

I've had a chronic back injury since I turned 23, four years now. One herniated and one bulging disc...I have no idea how you could play NHL hockey let alone Helm's type style. I love Helm as a player and what he brings to this team. If this ends up being career ending it will be yet another sad, very unfortunate loss for the organization. Terribly sad for Helm as a person. I really hope he can recover.

I am getting really tired of seeing great players careers cut short. I was just talking to my Wife about this the other day. Imagine how different the history of this sport would look if we wouldn't have lost all or most of the careers of Orr, Lemieux, Lindros, Bossy, etc. But just as frustrating is how hard the phenomenon has hit the Red Wings, in the case of players in thier prime. Konstantinov, Fischer, and Grigorenko's careers were ruined within the span of 7 years. Konstantinov was one of the best defenseman of his generation, Fischer was a cornerstone of the next generation of Wings, and Grigorenko was primed to become a fixture in the top six for years to come. Darren Helm's career has just begun...i truly hope things work out for him.

Great post. A like doesn't do this one justice.

#45 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:26 PM

This is why you don't bank on players coming back from injuries to be your additions.

I doubt Bertuzzi plays either and who cares if Samuelsson does?

I hear what you're saying, but I don't really think they were counting on him coming back, regardless of what they said.  Remember this is the same management which said it was committed to a rebuild, but only after missing out on Jagr.  Said that the last six games before the deadline would determine their activity level, and then balked after the team performed quite well.  Said that they were only looking for high end talent, and then effectively ensured that wouldn't happen by taking their prospects and 1st round pick off the table.  We can't really count on the fact that we're being told anything accurate these days.

They're saying these things because it sounds a lot better than, "we're in trouble this season and we're not quite sure what to do to fix it".  Perhaps in KH's mind paying lip service is a much better idea than telling everyone what they already know. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#46 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

Proving once again that even when I'm expecting bad news, it doesn't suck any less when it becomes official.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#47 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

This sucks. His injury must be somewhat serious, considering he's been out basically all year.

I think we've underestimated the stability he provides for the bottom 6 and the penalty kill.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#48 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

Why miller? He doesn't create anything offensively. If there gonna do that then it should be someone like eaves moving up. Even tootoo would be better than miller on that line.

It does sound like a pretty good third line tho

I guess there is another piano that needs to be carried.

#49 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,561 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

Eaves has a hell of a shot, I don't know why they don't use him whenever they need a winger for Datsyuk.  

Helm's absence is really hurting this team.  It's like night and day when he's in/out of a game.  I was hoping to get him back in time for playoffs.  Now I just hope he comes back someday.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#50 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

Lame, as much as I love Helm he literally has proved to be useless this year and a good portion of last.

So it's like he got hurt on purpose so he could be useless.

#51 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

Good player for us, but too injury prone.  From a business standpoint, he's a detriment to this team until he can prove otherwise.  

Unfortunately, it's hard to find someone like him who has that kind of speed and plays that style.  I'm thinking a Draper type player.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#52 HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

Hi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Location:Cloudy Town, Minnesota. 762.20 miles from the Joe Louis Arena

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Good player for us, but too injury prone.  From a business standpoint, he's a detriment to this team until he can prove otherwise.  

Unfortunately, it's hard to find someone like him who has that kind of speed and plays that style.  I'm thinking a Draper type player.  

Agree, hell of a player but man he sure takes up space sitting up in the press box every night.

Follow me on Twitter: @W2G4U

#53 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 491 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

I feel like you'd be hard pressed to find a kid that plays with that much effort and that much speed that ISN'T injury prone.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#54 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

I'm not sure that he's injury prone.  Aside from one calendar year he hasn't missed much time at all. Now lets look at the injuries he's had during that time.  Strained MCL, which is an impact injury and was suffered during a game against San Jose.  Nothing can be done.  Sliced tendons...c'mon?  Fractured cheekbone during offseason when hit by puck...ditto.  And finally, torn disc during preseason workout. 

None of these injuries are recurring, none of them are structural, and any of them (aside from the last one) could just as easily have happened to anyone on the team. 

Marc Savard.Todd Bertuzzi, and  Peter Forsberg were injury prone.  Darren Helm is unlucky. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#55 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

This is no surprise but it sucks all the same. He is a fan favorite but I worry about his future with his style of play and back problems. So there was no better choices at the deadline then Drew Miller for our top six???? well alright then.

#56 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

This is no surprise but it sucks all the same. He is a fan favorite but I worry about his future with his style of play and back problems. So there was no better choices at the deadline then Drew Miller for our top six???? well alright then.

Darren Helm doesn't have "back problems".  He has had A back problem.  Singular.  Which has yet to fully heal, but which has yielded zero structural damage by all accounts.  People around here make it seem like he's missing time every other week with a back issue.  He's never missed a single second of hockey with "back problems" until now. 

Henrik Zetterberg and Todd Bertuzzi have back problems.  As of right now, Darren Helm has a back problem. 

#57 DetroitRedWings1993

DetroitRedWings1993

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

I hate to say I told you so...

I love Helm. The prototypical bottom-6'er. Very valuable. Does a lot of the dirty work that most just aren't willing to do. He's such a little firepisser. I love that about him.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is rated PG-13 for epic battle sequences.

#58 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

Helm has been my favorite Wing for awhile now. No way right?

Sad that he's out the entire season.

Big part of this team since his move up from GR

#59 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

We are fing doomed by this news!

#60 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

That's the problem with back injuries. I highly doubt he makes it through next year with no problems....this isn't really surprising to us realist. The optimist are disappointed I'm sure.

Haha. I love it when people label pessimism as "realism."

Anyway, you're wrong; back problems that don't require surgical intervention are often completely recoverable.