• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

In confused by all the hate.... He has more goals than Z correct?

And all the hate about his conditioning and mental toughness and the grind? Seriously, can we use the same bulls*** excuses for the rest of our team?

Hes hit a skid cuz the NHL woke up and took note of this dude.

He will have to adjust his game for a full season for certain if he wants to bury pucks but thus far Brunner has been a pleasant suprise.

I don't consider it "hate" at all.  Virtually everyone here wants him back, and that was by no means a foregone conclusion when we took a flier on him.  The comparison to Zetterberg is not particularly useful.  First of all, Z is playmaker and an elite 2-way player.  It's pretty well established that Z's goal totals over a full season are going to be in the low 20's.  But he has twice as many assists as that, and is extremely valuable defensively. 

Brunner is the inverse of Zetterberg - he's the guy that should be on the receiving end of those passes, and he arguably is one of the most "shot first" players on the team (2nd on the team, actually to Z, which surprised me), and I like that about him.  But his overall game is nothing like Z's.  Dan Cleary has more goals than Z also, and nobody in their right mind would argue Cleary has been better than Zetterberg this year.  (Hockey statistics are incredibly flawed across the board...Zetterberg is a minus-3, while Kindl is a plus-13.  The best players get the toughest matchups, and +/- holds individuals accountable for something one of the other 5 guys on the ice might have screwed up).

The debate here is because we are almost certain he will be on the Wings next year, so I don't want him saddled with an unreasonable contract that will:

(a) Hurt the Wings against the Cap and prevent us from making other moves; and

(b) Turn the fanbase against him because of his bad deal.  The hate for guys like Quincey and (previously) Ericsson isn't so much that they're the worst hockey players ever, it was that people didn't perceive the cap hits they carried as being consistent with their actual contribution.

#42 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Does everyone remember the last goal he got where Nyquist passed him the puck when he was on his off wing ready for a one-timer and he hammered it home a la Stamkos and Ovechkin?  If he was able to play left wing (I think he's on the right side) and line up there all the time and had a heads up passer like Gus who puts it on the tape he'll get a lot more of those and his value will be even greater.  This just falls into the thread as well "the Wings have no offensive creativity".  Babcock just needs to keep set pairs together.  Z-Dats, Brunner-Goose, and Mule-Flip and slot guys around them if he wants a puck retriever.  Brunner's 1st season, he's had at least 1 shift with probably every forward on the Wings.  There's no continuity.  He's in a new league getting to know new linemates every 5 shifts.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#43 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:43 PM

One of the stats I finding interesting is his shot totals.  He took a ton of shots in the first couple months and had 10 goals in 21 games.  Since then he's been taking less shots and has just 1 goal.  Maybe that has to do with ice time or injuries or fatigue, but this kid needs to find a way to get the puck to the net more.

#44 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

One of the stats I finding interesting is his shot totals.  He took a ton of shots in the first couple months and had 10 goals in 21 games.  Since then he's been taking less shots and has just 1 goal.  Maybe that has to do with ice time or injuries or fatigue, but this kid needs to find a way to get the puck to the net more.

I think that has to do with timing now. He can't get his shot off because he delays too much, or he'll try to drag it too long. Defensemen are just getting their sticks on the puck and forcing it up or aside. It could all be fatigue, or the league not giving him as much space, etc.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#45 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

He does delay a lot, but I think he'll improve in that area.  He's only going to learn that there's very little time to make a play like that over here.  I'd like to see more of those one timers and I think we will going forward.  Probably not this season, but definitely next.  Brunner's going to be a real good goal scorer for this team, he's exceeded expectations so far, and is only going to get better as his strength, conditioning, and comfort improve.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#46 Osgood4President

Osgood4President

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

After last night, Brunner has played a half-season's worth of games (41), and has 12 goals and 13 assists for 25 points.

His hot start and subsequent cooling down probably suggest that might not translate to a 50 point season, but the stats definitely give me hope for his future. I definitely see him settling down more next season after getting the "rookie" jitters out of the way in this shortened one. 

Anyway, here's hoping we re-sign him so we can see what he's got in a full season. I think he's earned that chance this season.

#47 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'm not sure if anyone has these feelings but i'll bring up what I've been thinking. Maybe you guys can settle some irrational thoughts. 

So I have mixed emotions about Brunner and if he's going to stay in the NHL, or at least want to re-sign with Detroit. When he first came here, he was all smiles and happy. He loved the opening night and coming out of the tunnel, he had gotten the full "NHL bright lights" experience. He started off real hot, most likely due to playing during the lockout and having the physical advantage of having his legs under him immediately at the start of the season. Still all smiles. We can all expect when a goal scorer is scoring, they're happy. But when he started to cool down, his demeanor had changed to me. He started being more "depressed" looking. Even in his interviews, he just seemed like he was out of it. I'm not sure if its fatigue, or if he honestly isn't enjoying his experience right now. Could it be that he's facing adversity immediately when he came into the NHL? Adversity not only having the league adjust to him, but coming to a team in the middle of a transition. I watched his face when others scored, even when he was assisting and it just seemed like he wasn't smiling anymore. It was like someone stole that spotlight from him, and he didn't exactly like it? We know that he had been the leading SEL producer for 2 years (IIRC?) before coming over here. He was known as the go-to guy back in the SEL, the superstar. It's different here. He wasn't in the spotlight. Maybe he isn't used to it?

I know this is absolutely irrational and is probably the furthest from the truth, but, I thought it would be fun to bring up. Last night he had seemed like he was just beyond tired during the interviews during the intermission and after the game. So most likely... he's just tired haha.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#48 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 03:53 PM

Does anyone have a video clip of his breakaway yesterday?  I only saw it once but it looked hilarious and at one point I swear Nyquist though wtf is he doing lol...I love the Brunner just to clarify and thought he played a great game...but man that was funny

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#49 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

I'm not sure if anyone has these feelings but i'll bring up what I've been thinking. Maybe you guys can settle some irrational thoughts. 

So I have mixed emotions about Brunner and if he's going to stay in the NHL, or at least want to re-sign with Detroit. When he first came here, he was all smiles and happy. He loved the opening night and coming out of the tunnel, he had gotten the full "NHL bright lights" experience. He started off real hot, most likely due to playing during the lockout and having the physical advantage of having his legs under him immediately at the start of the season. Still all smiles. We can all expect when a goal scorer is scoring, they're happy. But when he started to cool down, his demeanor had changed to me. He started being more "depressed" looking. Even in his interviews, he just seemed like he was out of it. I'm not sure if its fatigue, or if he honestly isn't enjoying his experience right now. Could it be that he's facing adversity immediately when he came into the NHL? Adversity not only having the league adjust to him, but coming to a team in the middle of a transition. I watched his face when others scored, even when he was assisting and it just seemed like he wasn't smiling anymore. It was like someone stole that spotlight from him, and he didn't exactly like it? We know that he had been the leading SEL producer for 2 years (IIRC?) before coming over here. He was known as the go-to guy back in the SEL, the superstar. It's different here. He wasn't in the spotlight. Maybe he isn't used to it?

I know this is absolutely irrational and is probably the furthest from the truth, but, I thought it would be fun to bring up. Last night he had seemed like he was just beyond tired during the interviews during the intermission and after the game. So most likely... he's just tired haha.

You're probably right. I think he's just out of his comfort zone right now, going from a swiss league to directly under Babcock and the grind of the NHL. He did start off good but yeah, he's still adjusting imo.

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 23 April 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#50 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 04:27 PM

You're probably right. I think he's just out of his comfort zone right now, going from a swiss league to directly under Babcock and the grind of the NHL. He did start off good but yeah, he's still adjusting imo.

I think being moved off Z's line hurt his confidence a bit. But now I think he is getting comfortable again and a lot of that has to do with playing with goose. They are lethal together

#51 bardownginos

bardownginos

Prospect

• 39 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

Keep in mind this is Brunner's first season in North America. Age is irrelevant. This summer he'll be on the Wings training program and put on some meat. I think he'll do just fine in this league.

#52 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

If Flip can get going, maybe Brunner can too.

#53 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

I think people started to figure him out, and when he keeps things simple, he's at his best. Watching him, it's great to see a guy so consistently able to pull the trigger on one-timer opportunities. He may not always bury it, but it's much better than watching some of the other guys whiff and flub on their chances.

In terms of cap hit, I'm kind of hoping for something like 2 years for 2.5 per, or something. It's probably pretty unrealistic, but I think he's still a bit of an unknown. I'd like to see what an off season of training and how he adjusts to the game go for him.