• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5

What are the odds of Datsyuk staying after next season?

Rate this topic

I'll say with 100% certainty that no one on this board has the faintest idea what Datsyuk will do when his contract is up. (That includes me.)

I'm asking because I am thinking about buying a Datsyuk Winter Classic jersey, and it would be an epic fail if he left after next season.

I'd say like 95% chance he'll stay?

A Datsyuk jersery will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER be a fail. Thinking a Datsyuk jersey could be a fail, that is the fail itself. ;)

No matter whether he stays or goes - those jerseys are an encapsulation in time due to their very nature. Any player's jersey that you get will be representative of that one particular game.

Agreed. ...and why not pick the best player on our team to represent that game for you?

Yes, he can see his daughter two or three time more than if he plays here... But these (daughter and wingers) aren't deciding factors, not even close.

I imagine that'd mean a lot to him, and her, and the Mrs.

It'll probaly come down to the money, though. As it probably should. You take of your family. Which decision would fetch him more for his family?

If we are talking about finishing his career in Russia I say he plays till 42-43 so he could do another 2 year deal here and get in 3 years in Russia. Now if you add the family factor that changes everything and its anybody's guess.

I'm asking because I am thinking about buying a Datsyuk Winter Classic jersey, and it would be an epic fail if he left after next season.

I'd say like 95% chance he'll stay?

Buy it anyways cause Dats is the man and you'll never forgive yourself if you don't get it, even if it's roster relevancy is only for 1 year, he's a lifetime Wing. I still wear my Yzerman shirt all the time, even with its unfortunate holes and I may even get a Gordie Howe shirt. Choices for jerseys for lifetime Wings are never a bad choice. Just got a Z jersey myself and he's a skating band-aid.

I agree with the sentiment that Dats' decision would have to do with the quality of our team at the time his contract expires, but numerous other contracts will be expiring as well for guys that are non-essentials to the team. With the newer blood that will be coming into our lineup that year hopefully that will entice him to stay. Imagine the Wings pushing for a cup with the likes of a bigger stronger Jarnkrok, Sproul and Ouellet may be good to go, Tatar and Tvrdon may make their way up, Pulkkinen may turn out to be a sniper, Backman should be up next year or the year after.... This team could have a whole new look. If you add all of those guys and then imagine if Kenny somehow gets Clarkson to sign here by telling him, "we want you to play on Datsyuk's wing". What we need to do is be patient and hope that Colo and Sammy get bought out, some of our guys take .3 mil less than they want so we can get a guy like Clarkson in under the cap and we'll be a contender in 2 years max.

If the team doesnt improve next season I for one hope he goes back to Russia. For me one of the most painfull things this season is watching a player of his calibre be forced to play with two dead weights on his wings. Go back to the Motherland if it makes you happy Pavel. Thank you for the years of great hockey.

To the OP. Get the jersey. Even if he leaves it is a great purchase to show your appreciation for his years of service with the organization. The guy is one of the top 20 players in Wings history.

What makes you think he will get better wingers in Russia?

His daughter lives in Ekaterinburg, it's 2 hours flight from Moscow, 3 hours - from St. Peterbugh and 6 or 7 from Khabarovsk. Yes, he can see his daughter two or three time more than if he plays here... But these (daughter and wingers) aren't deciding factors, not even close.

Clearly you are not a parent. Money is not the issue, nor will it be. This is going to be all about his family as it should be. If you had kids that you didn't get to see for months on end, you would understand this. There are far more important things in life than money and hockey, and your children is #1 on that list.

This is way Stuart left and signed with SJ, his family. I do lean towards the 'he is gone side', but no one truely knows.

If the team doesnt improve next season I for one hope he goes back to Russia. For me one of the most painfull things this season is watching a player of his calibre be forced to play with two dead weights on his wings. Go back to the Motherland if it makes you happy Pavel. Thank you for the years of great hockey.

To the OP. Get the jersey. Even if he leaves it is a great purchase to show your appreciation for his years of service with the organization. The guy is one of the top 20 players in Wings history.

He could have complained about Cleary, and rightfully so, but he's never complained about Abdelkader. People really need to stop using this, "he's playing with s***ty linemates, he's going to Russia" argument. It holds absolutely no substance if the man himself praises the play of his linemate and asks the coach for him to remain on the line with him. Until Bert gets healthy, or we have another person to fill his role properly, it's not going to happen.

Clearly you are not a parent. Money is not the issue, nor will it be. This is going to be all about his family as it should be. If you had kids that you didn't get to see for months on end, you would understand this. There are far more important things in life than money and hockey, and your children is #1 on that list.

This is way Stuart left and signed with SJ, his family. I do lean towards the 'he is gone side', but no one truely knows.

Well... Stuart's situation is a tish bit different. Stuart and his family wanted to move to Detroit, unfortunately his wife's ex didn't allow for the child to be removed from the state. They couldn't get full custody, so the family HAD to stay in California. You're right that it played a huge part and the only reason why he left, but unlike Pavel's situation, Stuart's family COULDN'T come to Detroit. Pavel has always just wanted his daughter to grow up within Russia, but has said he doesn't mind where she ends up when she grows older. He just wanted her to experience the Russian childhood/culture so it wasn't lost within his family.

Forced huh? Must make it real hard to drive to the bank and cash those checks that add up to $6.7mil a year...

I love all of the posters in here that sound like they just got done having breakfast with Pavel. "He won't want to play unless they are a cup contender" or "He doesn't like his line mates" How do we know this? Maybe there are other factors to the contrary?

All this is, is speculation. He told the homer media in Russia that it would be nice to retire there, that could mean a few different things. Maybe this is coming from the same people that cried about how awful the Wings treated Igor Grigorenko when he came to North America... Then you've got that stupid article on Kukla's Korner that cites a "source in Detroit". The source is probably some whiner on SB Nation.

There's really no conceivable conclusion to be drawn until we hear something substantion from either Datsyuk or Holland.

/End.

I imagine that'd mean a lot to him, and her, and the Mrs.

It'll probaly come down to the money, though. As it probably should. You take of your family. Which decision would fetch him more for his family?

He divorced back in 2009 or 2010 (i could be wrong on date, but there is no Mrs. today).

And no, it wont be a money either. He would get as much as he wants from virtually any KHL team.

Eventually, he'd be gone to play and live in Russia, but reasons would be something similar to what Lidstrom's had when decided to move back to Sweden.

I hope he stays for another year or two though, but chances are slim...

I would be so fast jumping on conclusion about me or any other person you never met.

Stuart had played several years while his family was in California, and it was 4 hours flight to get there. For Dats, if he decides to leave and play in Russia, it would be very similar to Stuart situation. He'd want to play for contender, that means chances he plays for Avtomobilist (from city where his daughter lives) are 0. This team is dead last in the East conference. He likely will sign with team from other city, Moskow, St.Peterbrough, Kazan, etc.

Edited by ami

If Holland doesn't make some bold moves, he'll be gone after next season. Possibly Zetterberg too. These players are way too talented to be playing on a rebuilding team or even a transition team. I feel bad for both of them right now. They're both busting their butts, but there really isn't anything around them to help out, so it doesn't even matter.

Nobody likes to loose & why would he want to stay & play on a team that is rebuilding? Why should he think Holland can do what he has failed to do for the last four years? Rebuilding will be a process & the players the Wings could get for him will definitely expedite that rebuild.

Prices on those jerseys are not bad either, I was expecting like $339. Looks like I should be able to get one before the new year. I guess they are in line with the Premier jerseys though, figured they would be 'authentic'.

Edited by rrasco

Nobody likes to loose & why would he want to stay & play on a team that is rebuilding? Why should he think Holland can do what he has failed to do for the last four years? Rebuilding will be a process & the players the Wings could get for him will definitely expedite that rebuild.

Not always the case. Mats Sundin didn't want to leave Toronto when they were practically begging him to waive his NTC so a team could overpay for him as a rental. Same went for Alfredsson when Ottawa went into rebuild mode a couple years back.

It's not like the Red Wings are the Sabres or Flames. They're still a competitive team, just in a bit of a transition. If you are expecting a full scale rebuild, you will be sorely disappointed.

What has Holland failed to do in the last four years that he did previously?

He could have complained about Cleary, and rightfully so, but he's never complained about Abdelkader. People really need to stop using this, "he's playing with s***ty linemates, he's going to Russia" argument. It holds absolutely no substance if the man himself praises the play of his linemate and asks the coach for him to remain on the line with him. Until Bert gets healthy, or we have another person to fill his role properly, it's not going to happen.

Forced huh? Must make it real hard to drive to the bank and cash those checks that add up to $6.7mil a year...

I love all of the posters in here that sound like they just got done having breakfast with Pavel. "He won't want to play unless they are a cup contender" or "He doesn't like his line mates" How do we know this? Maybe there are other factors to the contrary?

You must have misunderstood my post. Nowhere in my post have I said me and Pav had breakfast and he said he wants to go back or did I say hes complained about his teammates. Pav is to good of a teammate to say anything like that. What I said in my post was that "I" as in just me watching the games did not like seeing his greatness wasted on lines with Cleary and Abdelkader. Pav has said in the past he wouldnt mind playing in Russia at the end of his career. Well if the Wings arent a Stanley Cup contender and teams in Russia will pay him more (which they easily can and would do) then why wouldnt he leave?

You must have misunderstood my post. Nowhere in my post have I said me and Pav had breakfast and he said he wants to go back or did I say hes complained about his teammates. Pav is to good of a teammate to say anything like that. What I said in my post was that "I" as in just me watching the games did not like seeing his greatness wasted on lines with Cleary and Abdelkader. Pav has said in the past he wouldnt mind playing in Russia at the end of his career. Well if the Wings arent a Stanley Cup contender and teams in Russia will pay him more (which they easily can and would do) then why wouldnt he leave?

Only the first part of my post was directed at you. I almost shed a tear, as I had no idea the adversity that poor Pavel was facing forced to earn his millions of dollars playing with lowly grinding forwards. It actually reminded me of a Russian article that explained Igor Grigorenko's torture in Detroit, and how an evil Mike Babcock wanted him to embarassingly play on the 3rd/4th line, then FORCED him to go be humiliated in a scum bucket called the AHL, and ultimately gave his roster spot to a lowly savage named Aaron Downey.

The rest of it was directed at all the people who are trying to speak for Pavel Datsyuk, but have no idea what's really going on like the rest of the population. None of us really know what Pavel is thinking, or what he will ultimately do. It's pointless to even banter over.

Maybe Datsyuk enjoys the challenge of trying to get the best out players that aren't exactly elite?

Edited by DSM

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5

I had originally ordered a Zetterberg jersey, but I cancelled my order and got a Datsyuk one instead. KHL or NHL, it'll still be nice to have his jersey.

I think it is something like 95 (KHL) 5 (NHL), why should he want to play on a rebuilding team, paying high taxes when he could play in front of his loved ones and make a ton of money overthere? Whatever happens I will buy a NON NHL (hopefully I'll find a replica somewhere) from him.