• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SDavis35

Why do you cheer for the Red Wings?

Rate this topic

Born and raised near Toledo, so it was natural to root for the Detroit teams. My favorite sport to play as a kid was basketball, so my first genuine interest was in the Pistons during the Grant Hill years. I remember the back-to-back championships, but they don't stand out as much to me because I was younger and hadn't fully come to understand and appreciate hockey.

Needless to say, the Wings have been my biggest passion since the early 2000's. Hockey is the best sport in the world and the Red Wings exemplify everything I would want in a professional organization. 2002 and the sheer dominance was unbelievable. The 2008 run is my personal favorite though because that group put on a clinic every night in puck possession.

It's really a privilege to have watched the Red Wings and their success throughout my life. When you also grew up cheering for the Tigers and Notre Dame Football, it's very easy to take the Red Wings for granted. They were always the one constant of success and joy. I definitely appreciate the memories and all of the legendary players more now looking back.

I saw the Wings play the Leafs at Maple Leaf Gardens with my ol' man 22 years ago. I arrived as a Leafs fan and Steve Yzerman changed that by halfway through the first period, even as a ten year old I could see that his team was the team I wanted to watch. I never looked back LGW

Guest irishock

Definitely the character of the organization, like someone else said. Never watched much hockey during the early 90's... I knew the Wings were on top of the hockey world back then and I assumed that they're a Yankees/Lakers esque franchise, until during the '99 NBA lockout I started following hockey and found out that the Wings were an unbelievably classy A-list franchise.

Edited by irishock

Well I guess my username says it all. Father played for the Wings through the 60s and 70s. Was also the captain of the first European NHL (Detroit) affiliated team the London Lions.

Needless to say I was a Wings fan from birth. Also it's a coincidence I live in London Ontario.

Well I guess my username says it all. Father played for the Wings through the 60s and 70s. Was also the captain of the first European NHL (Detroit) affiliated team the London Lions.

Needless to say I was a Wings fan from birth. Also it's a coincidence I live in London Ontario.

Who's your daddy? Sorry man....couldn't help myself. :lol:

You realize that you just earned Cult status on the forum or at least with me you have:) Very cool!!

Who's your daddy? Sorry man....couldn't help myself. :lol:

Nice pun lol Rick McCann if actually interested. No one big. He was up and down between the main club and affiliates for a good 10 years. Have to admit it's pretty special having a few boxes of old memorabilia from back then. Still have a few programs with him and Howe and others in it as well as many international items.

I will share one story that has always stuck with me. One game my father took a hard slapshot off the ankle in a game but continued to play. After the game he realized his ankle had swollen up immensely and ended up being taken to the hospital for a blot clot it had caused. The result was that he had to get his vericose (sp?) vein stripped from his leg. Very serious condition if not treated immediately. Anyways shortly after this happened he was having a dinner with Howe (said it was steak and lobster lol) and the ankle/leg was swelling so bad that he couldn't even get up. No pressure on it at all. Howe, without hesitation, picked my dad up in his arms carried him up several flights of stairs and called the team doctor. This is an old vet doing this for a rookie in the old days. Howe being Howe I guess. Class act.

Rick McCann?

D'oh! I tracked it down but not in time. Son of a Wing beat me by one post! :D

You realize that you just earned Cult status on the forum or at least with me you have:) Very cool!!

haha Thanks.

Also if people have never heard of the London Lions i suggest you check this out.

If you thought European expansion was just a recent topic then it'll be an interesting read. Here's a quip...

In 1971, Detroit Red Wings-owner Bruce Norris presented plans for a European professional league with the best teams being able to participate in the Stanley Cup play-offs. Norris envisaged European club teams with working agreements with an NHL club and spent $300.000 on his European team, the London Lions. The league was planned to start in the autumn of 1973 but Russians and Czechs protested as professional athletes would stop all participation in the Olympic Games. The main stumbling block concerned the availability of players for the World Championships, which were played in March and April when the European League would be approaching the playoffs. Even if the idea of a league was off for the 1973-74 season, Norris decided to go ahead with the London Lions, which toured Europe like an icehockey equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters.

Back in the good old early nineties, I've seen highlights from guys named Lidström, Yzerman and boom there you have it. Then I've started to gain some information about this team, the history, the all time greats so basically I am a fan since then and always be. This organization has brought a lot of joy to my life, watchingso many alltime-greats, the best owner in sports and an over the top management working together is just a pleasure.

People are allowed to critisicee things. Being critical means that fans are carring about this team, as a fan I want them to do well but I don't want them to half ass things (i.e retool instead of rebuild). Add to that how much I want to see another cup for the best owner in all of sports and then you also have the reason, why I am so critical of this joke of a league and their communism approach to things.

Guest DeGraa55

Back in the good old early nineties, I've seen highlights from guys named Lidström, Yzerman and boom there you have it. Then I've started to gain some information about this team, the history, the all time greats so basically I am a fan since then and always be. This organization has brought a lot of joy to my life, watchingso many alltime-greats, the best owner in sports and an over the top management working together is just a pleasure.

People are allowed to critisicee things. Being critical means that fans are carring about this team, as a fan I want them to do well but I don't want them to half ass things (i.e retool instead of rebuild). Add to that how much I want to see another cup for the best owner in all of sports and then you also have the reason, why I am so critical of this joke of a league and their communism approach to things.

I failed to understand the communism part. Cause the owners caved on every issue to end the lockout(which they shoukdnt of now the players will want more). In communism they don't cave to the others demands.

But back on topic I was born into the teams I support. Michigan, tigers, wings and steelers. Which was difficult at times...tigers in early 2000s or Mich with rich rod. The only time I cheer for another team is if they winning helps my teams. Or if they got ovie...lol.

Nice pun lol Rick McCann if actually interested. No one big. He was up and down between the main club and affiliates for a good 10 years. Have to admit it's pretty special having a few boxes of old memorabilia from back then. Still have a few programs with him and Howe and others in it as well as many international items.

I will share one story that has always stuck with me. One game my father took a hard slapshot off the ankle in a game but continued to play. After the game he realized his ankle had swollen up immensely and ended up being taken to the hospital for a blot clot it had caused. The result was that he had to get his vericose (sp?) vein stripped from his leg. Very serious condition if not treated immediately. Anyways shortly after this happened he was having a dinner with Howe (said it was steak and lobster lol) and the ankle/leg was swelling so bad that he couldn't even get up. No pressure on it at all. Howe, without hesitation, picked my dad up in his arms carried him up several flights of stairs and called the team doctor. This is an old vet doing this for a rookie in the old days. Howe being Howe I guess. Class act.

That's a pretty cool story. Thanks for sharing. It would make my life to get a call up to be a Red Wing and play just 1 shift :lol: and your dad was a roster player for his time. Hell, I'm excited to get back on the ice at noon today for some summer pick up. Gordie Howe is awesome.

Edited by Z Winged Dangler

I moved away from Detroit to the Twin Cities area in Minnesota in 2003, and my sports loyalties are split. I kept some of my Detroit roots but not all. My rule is that if you were the team that got me into the sport, rewarded me with great memories, and then sustained that interest, I'll keep you through the good times and follow you into the "darkness". I became a Minnesota Twins fan because I pretty much lost all my baseball interest after the '94 work stoppage, and even through college. The Twins revived that, and then some, so I'm a Twins fan for life, even though I still have a special place in my heart for the Tigers.

I don't know how anybody aged about, say, 25-40 could have experienced what the Wings did in the 90's and 2000's and not remained a loyal fan. In addition to losing touch with a lot of (former) Detroit fans, it was sad to see how many of them were diehard Wings fans 15 years ago, and now could be described as "casual" at best. When they start missing the playoffs, you'll see a whole new wave of people jump off.

I think the organization is a run with class and is emblematic of all the good parts of my Detroit heritage, of which I am still proud. And from a historical hockey aspect, it's tough to beat Original Six, Production Line, Russian Five, etc. Even if you strip away all of the "Detroit" stuff and the history, I also like that they've had an identity as a hockey team for about 20 years. They've brought a finesse style emphasizing puck possession, and it can be very satisfying to watch when it works well.

I became a hockey fan long time ago, I remember watching Canada - USSR series in 1972 with my dad. I still remember the atmosphere, tension, excitement ... From that point on, I followed greatest soviet player, Valery Kharlamov, and his team, CSKA and obviously team USSR. I remember these two goals, by Yakushev (3:3) and Kharlamov (4:3), in 1976 Olympic final against team Czeckslovalia. I remember Miracle on the ice, it has been painful. Then Kharlamov death in car accident a year later...

Then Larionov, Makarov, Krutov, Fetisov, Kasatonov.... Later Fedorov... Canada Cups...

When Fedorov 'defected', I have had a fisrt look at Wings. At that time, hockey in Russia was non-existent, and Wings felt like old-time excitement and everything. 1994, 1995 seasons was just frigging terrific, but March 26, 1996.... Stanley Cup... That ******* accident.... then Stanley Cup on Konstantinov laps...

I don't know, it must be a dynasty, string of great players and team with character and pride, that made me Red Wings fan ...

The Wings are my link back to the Michi-homeland. Its an easy one, since nearly zero people like hockey in Arizona.

Hey watch it, I'm out here in Arizona too. but couldn't agree more. GO WINGS!

Edited by Red Winged

I used to like the games back on the old sega. It used to be detroit or the mighty ducks. Then I was at a market and went looking for a mighty ducks jersey. I found a red wings one instead and fell in love. Wore it everywhere and anywhere. The only way I knew to follow it was the small small print of international sports scores in the news paper.

During the course of this season there have been several posters who have criticized this team's Coach, GM, Owner and all of the players (if not most of them). So, it got me to wondering: Why do you cheer for the Red Wings?

Not really directed at you, but just a general statement based on this quote.

The real fans (IMO) are the ones who ARE critical of the team, players, organization.

(Its like politics. The REAL Americans, who actually love and care about this country, are the ones who are extremely critical of the President and politicians for their horrible and destructive decisions and policies regardless of which party is currently in office.)

As far as the Wings, like a lot of people here, I 'm from the general area (Toledo) and have been following them for many years. Its like a drug. I've been watching them for so long now, that I am addicted, and can't stop. lol

Its a great organization, IMO, and I like the attitude, work ethic, and the way they general handle themselves and go about things.

I started watching the Wings back in the mid nineties. Stevie was always my favorite player. Living in Cali kind of limited my options of getting to see them play live but I luckily got to go to a few games in Anaheim and watch them wipe the floor with the Ducks. Those were the good ol' days. Let this feed some nostalgia for you all

Edited by Mike J.

I'll preface this by saying that I have NEVER lived in the state of Michigan, and was born into the first 17 years of my life living in Northwestern Illinois. Sleepy farmland and small factory towns with train tracks in them about 120 miles west of Chicago. Not a lot of Hockey out that way period.

1. There were no hockey fans in my family, so I was not bred into any sort of loyalty toward any team (aside from DA BEARS and the Cubbies)

2. During the early-mid 90's when Dollar Bill took more and more games off of local cable (FSN Chicago) there were less and less opportunities to see the Blackhawks and their epic nosedive into obscurity.

3. Watched lots of hockey on ESPN and really liked St. Louis and Hartford for a time, then THIS happened.

I knew right then and there at age 6 that this was my team. We're gonna BEAT THE s*** OUT OF ANYONE AND EVERYONE! And then Kocur came back. Then Grimson was picked up. And then March 26th 1997 happened. And the rest, as they say, is History. Even when the Hawks won in 2010 I phoned a friend of mine who actually lived in the far west/southwest burbs and was a fan to tell him "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while".

Today I turned 25. And despite losing to Chicago with some bad giveaways tonight and kinda slowing through this season with injuries and call-ups, I think our future burns bright. With or without Kenny.

Guest DeGraa55

I'll preface this by saying that I have NEVER lived in the state of Michigan, and was born into the first 17 years of my life living in Northwestern Illinois. Sleepy farmland and small factory towns with train tracks in them about 120 miles west of Chicago. Not a lot of Hockey out that way period.

1. There were no hockey fans in my family, so I was not bred into any sort of loyalty toward any team (aside from DA BEARS and the Cubbies)

2. During the early-mid 90's when Dollar Bill took more and more games off of local cable (FSN Chicago) there were less and less opportunities to see the Blackhawks and their epic nosedive into obscurity.

3. Watched lots of hockey on ESPN and really liked St. Louis and Hartford for a time, then THIS happened.

I knew right then and there at age 6 that this was my team. We're gonna BEAT THE s*** OUT OF ANYONE AND EVERYONE! And then Kocur came back. Then Grimson was picked up. And then March 26th 1997 happened. And the rest, as they say, is History. Even when the Hawks won in 2010 I phoned a friend of mine who actually lived in the far west/southwest burbs and was a fan to tell him "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while".

Today I turned 25. And despite losing to Chicago with some bad giveaways tonight and kinda slowing through this season with injuries and call-ups, I think our future burns bright. With or without Kenny.

I just spent like four hours on YouTube watching all of his fights...again.

Please don`t call me a bandwagon-fan, but...

when i was 13, i read an article about the red wings in a sport magazine here in germany and their cup-win in 1998.

As this was a time the internet was something the most people never heard of, these little printed things made of

wood were almost the only thing to get information about the nhl. I liked all these names in the article like Yzerman, Shanahan etc.

and started to look for the Red Wings everywhere i could: Reading results in TV-Videotext, Articles in Magazines and than, thanks to my father, we got Pay-TV and i was able to see games. Then the internet started to develop and of course this was a huge improvement. I started to hear games in the NHL-Radio and, with improving internet-speed, finally see games on the internet.

During all this time i started to realise how great the whole organization is and how are all the people dedicated to success. I have a poster of Yzerman with a qoutation that is a perfect example of this: "COMMITMENT A promise to yourself that you will devote the best of your talent and energy towards reaching your goals". Not to mention, that i bought so many stuff of the red wings like Jerseys, shirts, sweater, cups, my last acquisition was the Al Octopus pillow pet.

The wings are my most favourite team in sports. I started to realize that a Wings-loss it the most unpleasent one for me compared to the loss of other teams in other sports i cheer for.

So, now i am 28 years old, i never had the opportunity to see a wings game in Detroit. This is something i am working on in the next years. Unfortunately, alle the big names like Yzermann, Lidstrom, Shanahan and i assume Datsyuk and Zetterberg will be gone by that time too and propably also the Arena might be a different one, when i am not quick enough. But it is all about the organization and we have a lot of talent in the pipeline ans so i am very curious about the development of our organisation.

And, coming back to the bandwagon thing :D... How i picked up my favourte hockey team in germany: When i was about 12 years old, i read the standings of the german league in the TV-Videotext. The Eisbären Berlin were on the last place and I felt sorry for them. So i started to look for them - and uptil now i am fan of them too. (and how it turns out, they are record champions now :D)

I was born and raised in San Diego in a family that wasn't into sports, period, including me for a long time. I always liked the idea of hockey, though. It sounded so exotic - the largest amount of ice I'd ever seen was in an ice cube tray, so a sport played on a large sheet of it definitely piqued my curiosity. Watching the Mighty Ducks movie is probably what originally opened my eyes to its existence.

Also, around '97-'98, I started talking to this girl online who was from Michigan and was a Wings fan, so that made me aware of the Wings, who were obviously doing really great at the time. I've always had a romanticized view of the Midwest, since my family is originally from Nebraska, and I grew up hearing stories about farm life and stuff, and somehow through this girl, the Red Wings kind of worked themselves into my vision of the Midwestern world. I still didn't get into hockey at that time, unfortunately, but it was always there in the back of my mind.

What finally did it was reading a story in French class about a kid who was a Habs fan in the '50s. After the class was over and I was on Winter Break, I was bored out of my mind and looking for something to watch on TV. I flipped by a hockey game, and I thought, hey, I just read that story about hockey - maybe I'll give this a shot. It stuck. I should've been a Ducks fan, I guess, but I'm a sucker for history, tradition, and nice-looking uniforms, so I couldn't commit. Plus, they're not in MY city/county, so I don't think I owe them any loyalty, anyway. Then I thought back to the Red Wings fan I used to know, and the more I learned about the Wings, the more I realized they were exactly what I was looking for. I wanted to watch hockey in its natural habitat, in a cold climate, where they'd been playing it for around 80 years and took pride in it - not as some sort of weird anomaly out here in the desert that popped up around Disneyland when I was 8 years old.

Sure, I liked their winning record, too, I won't deny it - I don't think I would've ever considered becoming a Blue Jackets fan, for example - but it's more than just the winning, it's the commitment to excellence, self-respect, and personal responsibility embodied by guys like Yzerman and Lidstrom that I know will serve as an example that will last long after they're gone, even if the wins column starts to take a turn for the worse (which it has). That's what keeps me going today - the organization knows how to do things the right way, and it will continue to pass on that culture to our future. Like it or not, we're at the end of an era, and it's not easy to start a new one, but we've got the know-how and pride to pull it off. Jeez, I wrote a lot, sorry.

Edited by MulesWillFly93