• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

Because for as much hockey as I have ever, or will ever watch, nothing makes me happier than when a Red Wings' player scores a goal. It's a natural gut reaction.

#42 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

I unintentionally caught a playoffs game against the Blues in 1989 on channel 50. The Wings won and moved on to face the Oilers. Two games later, Yzerman returned from his awful knee injury and no one on Detroit skated like her did. I was sold.

#43 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

Because Im a Michigander. Being one means you root for the Tigers, Wings, Pistons, and yes even Lions.

#44 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:20 PM

Because Im a Michigander. Being one means you root for the Tigers, Wings, Pistons, and yes even Lions.

I have a dirty secret to add to my story.........When i moved to tenn I started liking the Titans....

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#45 TheXym

TheXym

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:28 PM

Growing up in Eastern PA, my dad tried to raise me a Philly fan. It worked for the Phillies and, for my early years, the Flyers. Don't give a flying **** about basketball, and will only watch football if no hockey is on. Fast forward to 1983. We travelled to Farmington Hills to visit family who was living there at the time over the Christmas break. My 12th birthday was Dec. 20th, and they knew my dad and I loved hockey. The Wings game on 12/23 was my present. Due to the less than stellar record of the team back then, we had nice seats. A rookie named Steve Yzerman scored his first hat trick against the Toronto Make-Beliefs (or Maple Laffs, take your pick). I thought his name was the coolest sounding, and it started with a Yz, which reminded me of Rush (who I was and still am a huge fan of), and seeing the Wings uniforms live made me realize how awesome they are compared to any other jersey. I was hooked.

Dad made lots of "dead things" comments to rib me, and I only got to see games if hey played the Flyers for years. In college I was also able to get the Pittsburgh feeds when they played the Pens and espn2 had several Wings games. I was also very active on the Red Wings listserv out of MSU that Dave Vergolini used to run. When the Blue Band came out for the PSU-UM game quite a few folks on the listserv stopped by the practice field we were using to say hello to the trumpet player in the Yzerman jersey.

When I graduated in 1995 and moved to my current town, I was actually able to pick up the WJR radio feeds depending on the weather. Once Time Warner cable started carrying Center Ice, I was a happy man. A big reason why I'm such a diehard fan of the Wings is that, as others have said, the organization, from the top down, has been, since the Ilitch family bought it, has been a class act. Yzerman and Lidstrom are two of the classiest players and leaders the sport has known, or ever will know.

I've taken more than my share of harassment living in enemy territory over the years, but rock the jerseys proudly. Games 3 and 4 of the 1998 Cup Finals were the best live games I've seen, and seeing Konstantinov on the ice for that cup was a beautiful moment (and I was glad I wore my Fedorov jersey for game 3 so I had the Konstantinov jersey on for it). Now that the Pens and Sens AHL teams are on both sides of me within an hour, I wish they'd play the Griffins so I could see our prospects live.
It's pronounced "Zim" not "Exim". Aw heck with it, just call me Scott.

#46 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

:punk: Happy Birthday!

Because they have made the playoffs every year since I was born. I turned twenty two today... Praying for a continuation of "the streak"

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#47 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,656 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

I dated Gordie Howe back in high school.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#48 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

My Bruins, Oilers, and Van fan brothers were less than pleased.

That is reason enough. :argue:  :thumbup:

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#49 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:46 PM

He told me you two were just a one time thing.

#50 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:52 PM

For some reason knowing you like I do, I believe this. =)

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#51 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

For post # 3000 I will simply state a fact to you all, and this is something that none of you can deny.  Me and my dad have matching Helm shirts.

Did you guys like how I built up the suspense on that one?  I also love the Wings cause Helm is awesome.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#52 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

Born and raised near Toledo, so it was natural to root for the Detroit teams. My favorite sport to play as a kid was basketball, so my first genuine interest was in the Pistons during the Grant Hill years. I remember the back-to-back championships, but they don't stand out as much to me because I was younger and hadn't fully come to understand and appreciate hockey.

Needless to say, the Wings have been my biggest passion since the early 2000's. Hockey is the best sport in the world and the Red Wings exemplify everything I would want in a professional organization. 2002 and the sheer dominance was unbelievable. The 2008 run is my personal favorite though because that group put on a clinic every night in puck possession. 

It's really a privilege to have watched the Red Wings and their success throughout my life. When you also grew up cheering for the Tigers and Notre Dame Football, it's very easy to take the Red Wings for granted. They were always the one constant of success and joy. I definitely appreciate the memories and all of the legendary players more now looking back. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#53 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:57 PM

I saw the Wings play the Leafs at Maple Leaf Gardens with my ol' man 22 years ago.  I arrived as a Leafs fan and Steve Yzerman changed that by halfway through the first period, even as a ten year old I could see that his team was the team I wanted to watch.  I never looked back  LGW

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#54 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

Definitely the character of the organization, like someone else said. Never watched much hockey during the early 90's... I knew the Wings were on top of the hockey world back then and I assumed that they're a Yankees/Lakers esque franchise, until during the '99 NBA lockout I started following hockey and found out that the Wings were an unbelievably classy A-list franchise.

Edited by irishock, 10 April 2013 - 09:03 PM.

bringit.jpg

#55 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

Well I guess my username says it all. Father played for the Wings through the 60s and 70s. Was also the captain of the first European NHL (Detroit) affiliated team the London Lions.

Needless to say I was a Wings fan from birth. Also it's a coincidence I live in London Ontario. 

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#56 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:38 PM

Well I guess my username says it all. Father played for the Wings through the 60s and 70s. Was also the captain of the first European NHL (Detroit) affiliated team the London Lions.

Needless to say I was a Wings fan from birth. Also it's a coincidence I live in London Ontario. 

Who's your daddy?  Sorry man....couldn't help myself.  :lol:

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#57 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

You realize that you just earned Cult status on the forum or at least with me you have:) Very cool!!

#58 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

Who's your daddy?  Sorry man....couldn't help myself.  :lol:

Nice pun lol Rick McCann if actually interested. No one big. He was up and down between the main club and affiliates for a good 10 years. Have to admit it's pretty special having a few boxes of old memorabilia from back then. Still have a few programs with him and Howe and others in it as well as many international items.

I will share one story that has always stuck with me. One game my father took a hard slapshot off the ankle in a game but continued to play. After the game he realized his ankle had swollen up immensely and ended up being taken to the hospital for a blot clot it had caused. The result was that he had to get his vericose (sp?) vein stripped from his leg. Very serious condition if not treated immediately. Anyways shortly after this happened he was having a dinner with Howe (said it was steak and lobster lol) and the ankle/leg was swelling so bad that he couldn't even get up. No pressure on it at all. Howe, without hesitation, picked my dad up in his arms carried him up several flights of stairs and called the team doctor. This is an old vet doing this for a rookie in the old days. Howe being Howe I guess. Class act.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#59 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:20 PM

Rick McCann?

D'oh! I tracked it down but not in time. Son of a Wing beat me by one post! :D

#60 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:21 PM

You realize that you just earned Cult status on the forum or at least with me you have:) Very cool!!

haha Thanks.

Also if people have never heard of the London Lions i suggest you check this out.

If you thought European expansion was just a recent topic then it'll be an interesting read. Here's a quip...

In 1971, Detroit Red Wings-owner Bruce Norris presented plans for a European professional league with the best teams being able to participate in the Stanley Cup play-offs. Norris envisaged European club teams with working agreements with an NHL club and spent $300.000 on his European team, the London Lions. The league was planned to start in the autumn of 1973 but Russians and Czechs protested as professional athletes would stop all participation in the Olympic Games. The main stumbling block concerned the availability of players for the World Championships, which were played in March and April when the European League would be approaching the playoffs. Even if the idea of a league was off for the 1973-74 season, Norris decided to go ahead with the London Lions, which toured Europe like an icehockey equivalent of the Harlem Globetrotters.

Vince Lombardi