• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matt198913

Official: Howard signs 6-year, $31.8m contract extension

Rate this topic

Holland was praising him yesterday and said he's signing now or in June but the sides weren't far off at all. Looks like he got his 6 year 5 mil contract. We all know it was gonna be 5 mil, just wish the length wasn't 6 full years. Goalies can have the most inconsistent trajectories.

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 1 min
Jimmy Howard confirms he is close to deal with Wings, Expects it will be done by weekend. It is 6 years in the $5.3 Million per year range

I don't hate the money, it's the term. Would have much rather had 5.5 for 4 years. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with Flip getting extended. If Flip gets anything over 4.5 million Holland has lost his mind.

Jimmy Howard confirms he is close to deal with Wings, Expects it will be done by weekend. It is 6 years in the $5.3 Million per year range

I don't hate the money, it's the term. Would have much rather had 5.5 for 4 years. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with Flip getting extended. If Flip gets anything over 4.5 million Holland has lost his mind.

With the season he is having, there is no reasonable way Filpulla could get that much if so, Holland really lost his mind.

Especially considering that puts him barely into the 35+ contract when he re-signs, doesn't it? I'd rather they knock a year off so Jimmy can sign what will probably be his final contract as a 34 year old.

Holland must be setting himself up for next time so he can give him a 35+ contract with a NTC. :P

good for howie, hopefully next year monster will step up and take some of the load off for jimmy, he deserves a good rest once in a while, people say heis brilliant some games and mediocre in others, well you try playing 3-4 nhl games/week and being brilliant in every one, when was the last game Jimmy didn't have to start? he has started the last 6 games without relief, and has 14 goals against in those 6 games, including the debacle in chicago where he got pulled after allowing 4 goals. he deserves a good contract, he has earned it, good on ya jimmy!

Seems like overpayment. I like Howie and all but he's still prone to a lot of stinkers. Would rather some of that money go to upgrading the D.

I have to disagree. Every goalie lets in ones he'd rather have back, but he's not like Marc Andre Fleury, who makes a game stealing save, followed up by a backbreaking softie.

If you count goalies who have played over 20 games this season, Howard is at or near the top 10 in save percentage. Plus he's been a workhorse for the Wings.

There's a handful of guys out there who are generally better, but Howard is good enough to get the Wings to the Cup.

Guest The Axe

And Ken Holland again proves he has no brains.

Since the Bertuzzi signing, he has now paid 3 mil for Sammy, 2 mil for Colo, 2 mil for Tootoo, 2 mil for Bertuzzi, 2 mil for Abdelkader, 4 mil for Quincey, 1 mil for Gustavson, 5 mil for Howard.

None of these players can SCORE GOALS.

21 million for jack squat. Add Flip and its 25 million. Gee, I wonder why we are struggling.

The worst part about it is that the drop off from our waste is not even a drop off in most cases. Its an improvement.

Howard ~ Mrazek = 3 mil savings

Filppula ~ Nyquist = 3 mil savings

Quincey ~ Dekeyser = 2 mil savings

Sammy ~ Anderson = 2 mil savings

Abdelkader ~ Tatar = 1 mil savings

Colo ~ Lash off = 1 mil savings

Tootoo ~ Sheahan = 1 mil savings

Bertuzzi ~ Ferarro = 1 mil savings

Gustavsson ~ McCollum = 1 mil savings.

15 million down the crapper. This is why we are in 8th place. The good teams are picking up superstar forwards and paying them 7-9 mil a year and putting them with good, big, young players out of their system. We are picking up crappy old guys and letting them take the spots of our young players. Injuries are the only thing that stops Holland's stupidity from totally wrecking the organization.

Guest Crymson

Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, Luongo, Price, Ward, Andersson easily > Howard

5 Mill would be a huge huge overpayment in my eyes

Miller, Price, Luongo, and Ward? Really? Miller has been in decline for years, Price's stats are equivalent to Howard's, Luongo is laughably unreliable in the playoffs, and Ward has had only one notable season since his rookie run in the playoffs.

Since the Bertuzzi signing, he has now paid 3 mil for Sammy, 2 mil for Colo, 2 mil for Tootoo, 2 mil for Bertuzzi, 2 mil for Abdelkader, 4 mil for Quincey, 1 mil for Gustavson, 5 mil for Howard.

21 million for jack squat. Add Flip and its 25 million. Gee, I wonder why we are struggling.

The worst part about it is that the drop off from our waste is not even a drop off in most cases. Its an improvement.

15 million down the crapper. This is why we are in 8th place. The good teams are picking up superstar forwards and paying them 7-9 mil a year and putting them with good, big, young players out of their system. We are picking up crappy old guys and letting them take the spots of our young players. Injuries are the only thing that stops Holland's stupidity from totally wrecking the organization.

For starters, the $5 mill for Howard isn't official yet.

Second, no goalies are relied upon to score goals. I agree with a lot of your criticisms of a lot of the other signings, but Howard is one I don't have a problem with.

He's been plenty good for the Wings and I don't know of cheaper better options out there. Not to mention with all the instability already on this team, the young patchwork defensive corps, Datsyuk's uncertain future, Helm's questionable health, etc. the last thing they need is to take shake up the starting goaltender position on someone they hope is better and cheaper.

well the axe returns with a bang i guess...

you think Mrazek, is better than howie, and is nhl ready after 2 games? lol

nyquist is not yet better, or the same as flip, as much as i like him

andersson isn't even the same type of player as sammy, so this one is just dumb, I agree we need to lose sammy, but not for andersson

once again abby is a much different player than tatar, he is a big body 4th line grinder, tatar is a small fast skilled shooter

colo should go if he can't stay healthy, and he gets payed 1.775 mil more then lashoff not 1mil

feraro has never even played a game in the nhl and you want him to immediately replace bert? c'mon man

mccollum is garbage, I would keep monster over him anyday

the only move that makes sense here is dekeyser replacing quincey

you cannot have a team full of rookies and expect it to be in a better position then we are now

I think we will have a Luongo/Schneider similar situation on our hands in 3 years when other teams try to rip us off if we try moving Howard to make room for Mrazek.

except howard won't be signed until he is 42, and the contract will only have 2-3 years left on it...

Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, Luongo, Price, Ward, Andersson easily > Howard

5 Mill would be a huge huge overpayment in my eyes

Anderson, as in Craig Anderson is easily better than Howard?

Everyone is high on him this year because of his stellar save percentage, but he's on a very good defensive team. Their other two goalies, Robin Lehner (who?) has a sv% of .934 over 10 games. Bishop has .922 sv% over 13 games.

And Anderson's is based on 17 games. Anderson has only three times in his 9 year career played over 33 games in a season.

It's possible after all this time in the league he's greatly improved his form and become an excellent goalie. But it's more likely he's a decent but unproven goalie having a good run on a strong defensive team. Either way he's barely ever been a starter. I couldn't call him better than Howard at this point, and not someone I'd want to extend a multi-year contract to expecting him to be the starting goaltender.

Enhh, this one's a little on the high side for me on both cap hit and term. I really would have preferred to see something like 4.5-4.8 over 3-4 years, but at this stage that probably doesn't make sense for Howard. I think in his mind, this is probably his "retirement" contract, and so he's going to try to get his money now.

In terms of the actual structure of the team, I can see Mrazek truly challenging (and perhaps overtaking) Jimmy in about 3-4 seasons. What then? We'll have a 5.3 million dollar back-up? Love Howie, just not 100% sold on the deal. Glad we still have him, though.

I think we will have a Luongo/Schneider similar situation on our hands in 3 years when other teams try to rip us off if we try moving Howard to make room for Mrazek.

Wow. Can everybody just calm down a little bit about Petr Mrazek? Mrazek is 21 years old with virtually no track record. He doesn't factor into a Jimmy Howard signing whatsoever. Based on where he was drafted, anything with him is gravy. If he ever becomes a passable NHL backup who could threaten for a starting job, that would be a terrific problem to have. Not quite clear just how terrible the Luongo/Schneider situation is for Vancouver, given that they're leading their division and have tons more firepower than Detroit, even with Kesler in and out of the lineup.

I'm thrilled we got Howard re-signed. All the people saying how much money we have under the cap, etc. were under some delusion that Jimmy Howard wasn't going to get paid like a #1 goalie. There's really group of about 10-15 goalies in today's league that make up the "top" goalies in the league. Will Howard ever win a Cup with us? I don't know, but if he doesn't, I highly doubt he will be the largest reason for that.

If the AAV is $5.3 million, that's about right for Howard. It certainly isn't a "bargain", though there are plenty of goalies around the league that make $6 to $8 million per that play at or below Howard's level.

The criticism about signing guys that "can't score" is fair, but also totally ridiculous to bring up in a discussion about a franchise goaltender. For all the stuff Holland has arguably "screwed up" or "missed" on, let it be known be known that he drafted, developed, and retained a franchise-caliber goaltender without the aid of a Top 10 pick.

Enhh, this one's a little on the high side for me on both cap hit and term. I really would have preferred to see something like 4.5-4.8 over 3-4 years, but at this stage that probably doesn't make sense for Howard. I think in his mind, this is probably his "retirement" contract, and so he's going to try to get his money now.

In terms of the actual structure of the team, I can see Mrazek truly challenging (and perhaps overtaking) Jimmy in about 3-4 seasons. What then? We'll have a 5.3 million dollar back-up? Love Howie, just not 100% sold on the deal. Glad we still have him, though.

And, again, if you can be so sure that Petr Mrazek will definitely be a Top 15 goalie in the NHL (which is what Howard is, easily), then there are literally 35 goalie prospects around the league for which the same thing can be said. Jacob Markstrom, Darcy Kuemper, Matt Hackett...

The best you could possibly hope for is for Mrazek to turn out as good as Jimmy Howard already is.