• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matt198913

Official: Howard signs 6-year, $31.8m contract extension

Rate this topic

If the AAV is $5.3 million, that's about right for Howard. It certainly isn't a "bargain", though there are plenty of goalies around the league that make $6 to $8 million per that play at or below Howard's level.

There really isn't that many. In the entire league, there are only 5 goalies that make between $6-7 million. Higgest paid goalie (Rinne) makes $7 million. All those guys would have signed in bigger spending days as well (at least theoretically).

Though you may have believed on stint of Mrazek's one good game in the NHL, and his temporarily hot run in the AHL, that he was going to take the NHL by storm, that notion no doubt seemed more than a tad premature to the front office.

Considering the way he has played the last few games for the Griffins, Mrz has a ways to go. I figure he will get another full season while Monster and Jimmy are with the Wings next season, and then Mrz will be up to push Jimmy for a spot in 2014-2015 depending on how he has done. So far, I like what I see, but he has some work to do. The playoffs this season will speak volumes for him.

Have fun in the minors Mrazek.

Let's have Howard make one cup run before we start throwing Osgood under the bus.

In what way was I throwing Ozzy under the bus? I was clearly stating that Ozzy was playing behind some of the best defense in the league and he did not have to carry his team night in and night out. Jimmy does.

Guest The Axe

We won against the Preds last night 3-0 with an empty netter. Jimmy had what?...13-14 shots in the 1st period, stopped a breakaway on our PP and then a penalty shot he also stopped. Yeah, Howard sucks and absolutely can't steal a game.

He's done well for about 20 games in a row now.

He's done well for about 20 games in a row now.

He's had maybe 2-3 bad games all year. One of them he had sight issues against the Preds. Either way, we have a great #1 goalie for 6 more years and his last few he'll have Mrazek, Patterson and that 6'5 giant pushing him for playing time and his spot.

I have to chuckle at some of the skepticism surrounding Howard. I don't think he's the top goalie in the league, but he's not the problem. Not by a long shot.

Offensively, this team is on the outside looking in. 19th or 20th in the league in scoring, last I checked. You don't make the playoffs scoring fewer than 2.5 goals per game, and if you do, it's because your goalie carried you there.

True, Howard has had issues recently in shutouts. But look at the Chicago game -- one SO goal in 5 attempts (by the Wings). You can pin that OT loss on Howard, but to me it's more evidence that this team's real problem lies elsewhere.

Edited by IndianaRedWing

I'm not sure why there's a "signed" tag on this thread. Maybe I missed the report, but I'm pretty sure he has NOT re-signed. They just said they were close and had agreed on most terms. Is there a source anywhere saying this is actually completed?

Edited by Zetts

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-active-goalies-all-time-save-percentage-leaders.html

I'm liking our Average Goalie's stats among others of his time.

I'm almost positive he's being sarcastic to this ridiculous thread we had earlier this season....

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/topic/73716-howard-average/

Well, for the rest of them who aren't sarcastic then!

lol, ya, well so many people here preach about how great carey price is, and how much they would rather him than jimmy, for all of those people here are some numbers to chew on;

2011-2012

Carey Price: gaa: 2.43 sv% .916, gp 65, wins 26

Jimmy Howard: 2.13 sv% .920, gp 57, wins 35

2012-2013

Carey Price: gaa: 2.50 sv% .908, gp 34, wins 19

Jimmy Howard: 2.31 sv% .920, gp 36, wins 17

Career

Carey Price: gaa: 2.55 sv% .915, gp 305, wins 143

Jimmy Howard: 2.39 sv% .917, gp 228, wins 127

since Carey is "Elite", does that make jimmy "super elite"?

Guest DeGraa55

lol, ya, well so many people here preach about how great carey price is, and how much they would rather him than jimmy, for all of those people here are some numbers to chew on;

2011-2012

Carey Price: gaa: 2.43 sv% .916, gp 65, wins 26

Jimmy Howard: 2.13 sv% .920, gp 57, wins 35

2012-2013

Carey Price: gaa: 2.50 sv% .908, gp 34, wins 19

Jimmy Howard: 2.31 sv% .920, gp 36, wins 17

Career

Carey Price: gaa: 2.55 sv% .915, gp 305, wins 143

Jimmy Howard: 2.39 sv% .917, gp 228, wins 127

since Carey is "Elite", does that make jimmy "super elite"?

No don't use facts!!! Howard sucks!!! No don't prove the haters wrong!!

Our goalie does have some problems with math..

"It's an exciting time for myself and my family and we're excited to be here for four more years," Howard said before boarding the Red Wings plane for Wednesday night's game in Calgary.

Or he knows something we don't.

I've ragged on Jimmy every now and then because he isn't the best in the league but when he plays well, he is definitely a top 5 goaltender. I think the money is right for the current market and as long as he can continue to improve on his consistency (maybe if we get a solid healthy backup) I think this deal will be good for the Wings. Hopefully the last 2 years or so of the contract, he can split duties with Mrazek kind of like Hasek and Ozzie or Ozzie and Howie a few years back.