• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matt198913

Official: Howard signs 6-year, $31.8m contract extension

Rate this topic

Jimmy never has been respected by the NHL for his performances..

over $5 mill seems to be overpaid, but he already played some great games and hadn´t reached his primetime.

$ 4 mill would be ok, but you won´t let him go for just $1 mill as somebody mentioned on twitter..

the deal is OK, not good...but not bad.

Guest Crymson

Jimmy never has been respected by the NHL for his performances..

His Calder nomination and the the fact that he started in the 2012 all-star game say otherwise.

I love this contract. It really doesn't seem like an overpayment to me. Jimmy has carried this team in like 25% of the games this season. I think he'd be doing even better if we had a strong backup so that he wasn't so overplayed.

Assuming capgeek has it correct at 5.3 every year, I'm surprised Holland didn't keep it low for a season or two then bring it up so he could give himself a little more breathing room as the cap goes down next season.

Some quotes about it:

"If you look at the contract that we signed, we're going to wake up in a year and maybe there's eight or 10 goaltenders that are going to make more than Jimmy Howard," Holland said. "We got a number that Jimmy felt comfortable with and we felt comfortable with. In order to get, you got to give.

"It gives him security, it gives us security, stability. In the next year, we're going to wake up and it's going to be a good cap number, a fair cap number, in relation to what the other people in the league are making. That's to me how you identity where it fits in.

"It's an important day to me because we got somebody locked up that's really important, at a number that he feels good about, that we feel good about, that we can work with."

Really surprised to hear Holland say, to get you have to give. If you read the whole article Holland talks about the transition year, allowing the younger players to play, making the playoffs. It's a decent article and honestly I think we're going to see Holland make some moves this off-season.

I would be excited to see how good his numbers would get if he actually got to rest once in awhile and we had a solid backup that could win games. I liked the Gustavsson signing at first but he hasn't done anything to prove himself yet.

I would be excited to see how good his numbers would get if he actually got to rest once in awhile and we had a solid backup that could win games. I liked the Gustavsson signing at first but he hasn't done anything to prove himself yet.

This would be an interesting discussion to have... Some goalies play better if they play more often because they can get into a rhythm, whereas others need a break. I wonder which Howie would be better with personally.