• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#181 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

Solid deal. He's getting his worth right now. In three years this will be a steal when the cap is up.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#182 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

Assuming capgeek has it correct at 5.3 every year, I'm surprised Holland didn't keep it low for a season or two then bring it up so he could give himself a little more breathing room as the cap goes down next season.

Some quotes about it:

"If you look at the contract that we signed, we're going to wake up in a year and maybe there's eight or 10 goaltenders that are going to make more than Jimmy Howard," Holland said. "We got a number that Jimmy felt comfortable with and we felt comfortable with. In order to get, you got to give.

"It gives him security, it gives us security, stability. In the next year, we're going to wake up and it's going to be a good cap number, a fair cap number, in relation to what the other people in the league are making. That's to me how you identity where it fits in.

"It's an important day to me because we got somebody locked up that's really important, at a number that he feels good about, that we feel good about, that we can work with."

Really surprised to hear Holland say, to get you have to give. If you read the whole article Holland talks about the transition year, allowing the younger players to play, making the playoffs. It's a decent article and honestly I think we're going to see Holland make some moves this off-season. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#183 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:51 PM

Glad they got him locked up.

#184 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

I would be excited to see how good his numbers would get if he actually got to rest once in awhile and we had a solid backup that could win games. I liked the Gustavsson signing at first but he hasn't done anything to prove himself yet.

Posted Image

#185 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Love this deal. Jimmy has certainly earned it and I'm glad he's going to be a member of the Red Wings for a long time.

I also would like to nominate Jimmy's picture to replace Franzen's with Pavel and Z at the top of the page.  :tounge:

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#186 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:09 PM

I would be excited to see how good his numbers would get if he actually got to rest once in awhile and we had a solid backup that could win games. I liked the Gustavsson signing at first but he hasn't done anything to prove himself yet.

This would be an interesting discussion to have... Some goalies play better if they play more often because they can get into a rhythm, whereas others need a break. I wonder which Howie would be better with personally.