• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#21 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

I think we will have a Luongo/Schneider similar situation on our hands in 3 years when other teams try to rip us off if we try moving Howard to make room for Mrazek.

except howard won't be signed until he is 42, and the contract will only have 2-3 years left on it...

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#22 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,578 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:37 AM

Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, Luongo, Price, Ward, Andersson easily > Howard

5 Mill would be a huge huge overpayment in my eyes

Anderson, as in Craig Anderson is easily better than Howard?

Everyone is high on him this year because of his stellar save percentage, but he's on a very good defensive team.  Their other two goalies, Robin Lehner (who?) has a sv% of .934 over 10 games.  Bishop has .922 sv% over 13 games.  

And Anderson's is based on 17 games.  Anderson has only three times in his 9 year career played over 33 games in a season.  

It's possible after all this time in the league he's greatly improved his form and become an excellent goalie.   But it's more likely he's a decent but unproven goalie having a good run on a strong defensive team.  Either way he's barely ever been a starter.  I couldn't call him better than Howard at this point, and not someone I'd want to extend a multi-year contract to expecting him to be the starting goaltender.

#23 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:38 AM

Enhh, this one's a little on the high side for me on both cap hit and term. I really would have preferred to see something like 4.5-4.8 over 3-4 years, but at this stage that probably doesn't make sense for Howard. I think in his mind, this is probably his "retirement" contract, and so he's going to try to get his money now.

In terms of the actual structure of the team, I can see Mrazek truly challenging (and perhaps overtaking) Jimmy in about 3-4 seasons. What then? We'll have a 5.3 million dollar back-up? Love Howie, just not 100% sold on the deal. Glad we still have him, though.

#24 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

I think we will have a Luongo/Schneider similar situation on our hands in 3 years when other teams try to rip us off if we try moving Howard to make room for Mrazek.

Wow.  Can everybody just calm down a little bit about Petr Mrazek?  Mrazek is 21 years old with virtually no track record.  He doesn't factor into a Jimmy Howard signing whatsoever.  Based on where he was drafted, anything with him is gravy.  If he ever becomes a passable NHL backup who could threaten for a starting job, that would be a terrific problem to have.  Not quite clear just how terrible the Luongo/Schneider situation is for Vancouver, given that they're leading their division and have tons more firepower than Detroit, even with Kesler in and out of the lineup.

I'm thrilled we got Howard re-signed.  All the people saying how much money we have under the cap, etc. were under some delusion that Jimmy Howard wasn't going to get paid like a #1 goalie.  There's really group of about 10-15 goalies in today's league that make up the "top" goalies in the league.  Will Howard ever win a Cup with us?  I don't know, but if he doesn't, I highly doubt he will be the largest reason for that. 

If the AAV is $5.3 million, that's about right for Howard.  It certainly isn't a "bargain", though there are plenty of goalies around the league that make $6 to $8 million per that play at or below Howard's level. 

The criticism about signing guys that "can't score" is fair, but also totally ridiculous to bring up in a discussion about a franchise goaltender.  For all the stuff Holland has arguably "screwed up" or "missed" on, let it be known be known that he drafted, developed, and retained a franchise-caliber goaltender without the aid of a Top 10 pick.

#25 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

Enhh, this one's a little on the high side for me on both cap hit and term. I really would have preferred to see something like 4.5-4.8 over 3-4 years, but at this stage that probably doesn't make sense for Howard. I think in his mind, this is probably his "retirement" contract, and so he's going to try to get his money now.

In terms of the actual structure of the team, I can see Mrazek truly challenging (and perhaps overtaking) Jimmy in about 3-4 seasons. What then? We'll have a 5.3 million dollar back-up? Love Howie, just not 100% sold on the deal. Glad we still have him, though.

And, again, if you can be so sure that Petr Mrazek will definitely be a Top 15 goalie in the NHL (which is what Howard is, easily), then there are literally 35 goalie prospects around the league for which the same thing can be said.  Jacob Markstrom, Darcy Kuemper, Matt Hackett...

The best you could possibly hope for is for Mrazek to turn out as good as Jimmy Howard already is

#26 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

And, again, if you can be so sure that Petr Mrazek will definitely be a Top 15 goalie in the NHL (which is what Howard is, easily), then there are literally 35 goalie prospects around the league for which the same thing can be said.  Jacob Markstrom, Darcy Kuemper, Matt Hackett...

The best you could possibly hope for is for Mrazek to turn out as good as Jimmy Howard already is

Obviously, no one can predict how well a guy is actually going to do, but if you re-call Howard's time in the AHL... it wasn't pretty. Not many people had much faith that he could come into the NHL and put up better numbers than he did with the Griffs. You get a guy in Mrazek who blows up at the WJC, does pretty darn well in juniors and then comes in and takes the AHL job from McCollum and Pearce (not tough, just saying.)

The kid has done pretty well for himself so far, and I actually imagine he's going to hit a wall next season and slow down. After that, it's up to him. If he bounces back and works out well, cool. That 2014-15 year could be when he jumps in as Jimmy's back-up, or maybe he takes an extra year in GR - who knows? Regardless, he's the most hyped up goalie prospect around here in awhile. I'm rooting for the kid, personally.

#27 Wings_Dynasty

Wings_Dynasty

The Greatest Ever

• HoF Booster
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

Goalies should never have contracts longer than 3 years.

"I think a tough team, a team that sticks together, is a lot better than leaving the onus on one guy to take care of business." - Brendan Shanahan

It still would be nice to have that one guy. (Jordin Tootoo, wish granted)

#28 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

Mrazek is being very much overly touted here. Prospects fail all the time. There is absolutely no guarantee that he will be a starting-caliber NHL goaltender, and so Holland must hedge his bets by giving Howard a big contract.

Obviously, no one can predict how well a guy is actually going to do, but if you re-call Howard's time in the AHL... it wasn't pretty. Not many people had much faith that he could come into the NHL and put up better numbers than he did with the Griffs. You get a guy in Mrazek who blows up at the WJC, does pretty darn well in juniors and then comes in and takes the AHL job from McCollum and Pearce (not tough, just saying.)

The kid has done pretty well for himself so far, and I actually imagine he's going to hit a wall next season and slow down. After that, it's up to him. If he bounces back and works out well, cool. That 2014-15 year could be when he jumps in as Jimmy's back-up, or maybe he takes an extra year in GR - who knows? Regardless, he's the most hyped up goalie prospect around here in awhile. I'm rooting for the kid, personally.

Mrazek currently has a .915. Howard's first seasons saw him pull a .910. Worse, to be sure, but not disastrous. Mrazek started off blazing, but has since cooled down.

#29 number9

number9

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

Prediction: Mrazek lives up to the hype, becomes #1 in 3-4 years, Jimmy is traded away to finish the last few years of his contract, signs here again as a 35-36 year old veteran to back up Mrazek in his last years. Kinda like Osgood/Hasek, not Luongo/Schneider 

#30 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,578 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:12 PM

Babcock's take on the near completed deal:

“Howie has worked hard and the organization has confidence in him,'' Babcock said. “It's important for us. We need good goaltending. Just how much parity there is, we need him each and every night and he's been excellent for us.''
Babcock said Howard has improved his consistency.
“In anybody's game, there's things he can work on,'' Babcock said. “He can always work on his puck-handling, and he's been working on that. 
“To me, what he's done is become a guy you can count on. That's what you need in this league. The bottom line for us is we hope this gets done so we can get on with winning games.''

http://www.mlive.com...immy_howar.html

#31 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

Mrazek is being very much overly touted here. Prospects fail all the time. There is absolutely no guarantee that he will be a starting-caliber NHL goaltender, and so Holland must hedge his bets by giving Howard a big contract.

Mrazek currently has a .915. Howard's first seasons saw him pull a .910. Worse, to be sure, but not disastrous. Mrazek started off blazing, but has since cooled down.

*Cough* McCollum *Cough*. And yeah, obviously he was going to drop-off, and as you've said already has. That's why I imagine he's going to have a tough go of it next season. Consistency seemed to be Jimmy's biggest issue during his time in the AHL, something he's found here (not necessarily season to season, but as a year progresses). I think Mrazek is mentally tough, and will progress during his time with the Griffs.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing Jimmy or calling Mrazek the next coming of Hasek. I'm just thinking of the possibility of a Vancouver-esque situation in 3-4 seasons. I'm happy we locked Jimmy up. He's a proven commodity, and has been rewarded as such.

#32 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

Goalies should never have contracts longer than 3 years.

Unfortunately, fans don't make the rules, and the GM composes only 50% of the deal. Of the goalies who have played well for long enough, and are old enough, to establish themselves as long-term starters, and whose contracts were not garnered through restricted free agency, all are either on or about to embark upon a contract of at least four seasons. Many of those have terms longer than that.

*Cough* McCollum *Cough*. And yeah, obviously he was going to drop-off, and as you've said already has. That's why I imagine he's going to have a tough go of it next season. Consistency seemed to be Jimmy's biggest issue during his time in the AHL, something he's found here (not necessarily season to season, but as a year progresses). I think Mrazek is mentally tough, and will progress during his time with the Griffs.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing Jimmy or calling Mrazek the next coming of Hasek. I'm just thinking of the possibility of a Vancouver-esque situation in 3-4 seasons. I'm happy we locked Jimmy up. He's a proven commodity, and has been rewarded as such.

Howard has only one mediocre season under his belt, and it was the notorious sophomore goalie season.

#33 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

not sure what else you guys expected. a workhorse goalie getting his first big payday is always going to be "overpaid" to some degree. 

heck, every player getting their first big payday as a FA is overpaid, after being underpaid in the earlier years in the league

#34 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Howard isn't the problem, but the concept is the problem. We don't need a goalie who plays every game and is a consistently good player. Is it good to have that? Yes. But its not what the RED WINGS need.

WE CANNOT SCORE.

REPEAT.

WE CANNOT SCORE.

Not rocket science, people.

#35 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:30 PM

not sure what else you guys expected. a workhorse goalie getting his first big payday is always going to be "overpaid" to some degree. 

heck, every player getting their first big payday as a FA is overpaid, after being underpaid in the earlier years in the league

4x4,5 = 18 m OR

5x4 = 20 M

I have nothing against Howard, I love his attitude but he isn't a 5,3 per year for 6 years goalie.

wche.jpg

in need of magic #13

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,578 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Howard isn't the problem, but the concept is the problem. We don't need a goalie who plays every game and is a consistently good player. Is it good to have that? Yes. But its not what the RED WINGS need.

WE CANNOT SCORE.

REPEAT.

WE CANNOT SCORE.

Not rocket science, people.

I have no idea what your point is in regards to Howard's new contract, which is the topic of this thread.

The Wings don't need a goalie who is a consistently good player??

Scoring is also a legitimate issue, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. Howard's contract was expiring. The Wings needed to re-sign him or find another goalie in the offseason in addition to all their other needs, like scoring.

#37 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

I have no idea what your point is in regards to Howard's new contract, which is the topic of this thread.

The Wings don't need a goalie who is a consistently good player??

Scoring is also a legitimate issue, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. Howard's contract was expiring. The Wings needed to re-sign him or find another goalie in the offseason in addition to all their other needs, like scoring.

so we should get a lot of firepower and trade away our goaltender for it, and trust rookies between the pipes right...

cause that works out so well for tampa

1619431_10152076754861235_68631640462286

#38 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:42 PM

Prefer less, but in this market that's what he is worth. He's the best option.

Expectations will be higher on him though, I'll expect him to be top 10 at least, or he will face criticism. Right now he's a huge bargain though.

#39 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,421 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Very good news. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#40 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:02 PM

Like this signing!!! Our D has been solid BUT lets not forget how many times Howie has been hung out dry...Easily 10-12 goals have been NO fault of his and would have taken a lucky snow angel to make the save. Conversely he has let in a few stnkers BUT the defensive breakdowns are much much more common than a Howie softy.

Good for Jimmy!!!