• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matt198913

Official: Howard signs 6-year, $31.8m contract extension

Rate this topic

And, again, if you can be so sure that Petr Mrazek will definitely be a Top 15 goalie in the NHL (which is what Howard is, easily), then there are literally 35 goalie prospects around the league for which the same thing can be said. Jacob Markstrom, Darcy Kuemper, Matt Hackett...

The best you could possibly hope for is for Mrazek to turn out as good as Jimmy Howard already is.

Obviously, no one can predict how well a guy is actually going to do, but if you re-call Howard's time in the AHL... it wasn't pretty. Not many people had much faith that he could come into the NHL and put up better numbers than he did with the Griffs. You get a guy in Mrazek who blows up at the WJC, does pretty darn well in juniors and then comes in and takes the AHL job from McCollum and Pearce (not tough, just saying.)

The kid has done pretty well for himself so far, and I actually imagine he's going to hit a wall next season and slow down. After that, it's up to him. If he bounces back and works out well, cool. That 2014-15 year could be when he jumps in as Jimmy's back-up, or maybe he takes an extra year in GR - who knows? Regardless, he's the most hyped up goalie prospect around here in awhile. I'm rooting for the kid, personally.

Guest Crymson

Mrazek is being very much overly touted here. Prospects fail all the time. There is absolutely no guarantee that he will be a starting-caliber NHL goaltender, and so Holland must hedge his bets by giving Howard a big contract.

Obviously, no one can predict how well a guy is actually going to do, but if you re-call Howard's time in the AHL... it wasn't pretty. Not many people had much faith that he could come into the NHL and put up better numbers than he did with the Griffs. You get a guy in Mrazek who blows up at the WJC, does pretty darn well in juniors and then comes in and takes the AHL job from McCollum and Pearce (not tough, just saying.)

The kid has done pretty well for himself so far, and I actually imagine he's going to hit a wall next season and slow down. After that, it's up to him. If he bounces back and works out well, cool. That 2014-15 year could be when he jumps in as Jimmy's back-up, or maybe he takes an extra year in GR - who knows? Regardless, he's the most hyped up goalie prospect around here in awhile. I'm rooting for the kid, personally.

Mrazek currently has a .915. Howard's first seasons saw him pull a .910. Worse, to be sure, but not disastrous. Mrazek started off blazing, but has since cooled down.

Babcock's take on the near completed deal:

“Howie has worked hard and the organization has confidence in him,'' Babcock said. “It's important for us. We need good goaltending. Just how much parity there is, we need him each and every night and he's been excellent for us.''

Babcock said Howard has improved his consistency.

“In anybody's game, there's things he can work on,'' Babcock said. “He can always work on his puck-handling, and he's been working on that.

“To me, what he's done is become a guy you can count on. That's what you need in this league. The bottom line for us is we hope this gets done so we can get on with winning games.''

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/04/tsn_says_red_wings_jimmy_howar.html

Mrazek is being very much overly touted here. Prospects fail all the time. There is absolutely no guarantee that he will be a starting-caliber NHL goaltender, and so Holland must hedge his bets by giving Howard a big contract.

Mrazek currently has a .915. Howard's first seasons saw him pull a .910. Worse, to be sure, but not disastrous. Mrazek started off blazing, but has since cooled down.

*Cough* McCollum *Cough*. And yeah, obviously he was going to drop-off, and as you've said already has. That's why I imagine he's going to have a tough go of it next season. Consistency seemed to be Jimmy's biggest issue during his time in the AHL, something he's found here (not necessarily season to season, but as a year progresses). I think Mrazek is mentally tough, and will progress during his time with the Griffs.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing Jimmy or calling Mrazek the next coming of Hasek. I'm just thinking of the possibility of a Vancouver-esque situation in 3-4 seasons. I'm happy we locked Jimmy up. He's a proven commodity, and has been rewarded as such.

Guest Crymson

Goalies should never have contracts longer than 3 years.

Unfortunately, fans don't make the rules, and the GM composes only 50% of the deal. Of the goalies who have played well for long enough, and are old enough, to establish themselves as long-term starters, and whose contracts were not garnered through restricted free agency, all are either on or about to embark upon a contract of at least four seasons. Many of those have terms longer than that.

*Cough* McCollum *Cough*. And yeah, obviously he was going to drop-off, and as you've said already has. That's why I imagine he's going to have a tough go of it next season. Consistency seemed to be Jimmy's biggest issue during his time in the AHL, something he's found here (not necessarily season to season, but as a year progresses). I think Mrazek is mentally tough, and will progress during his time with the Griffs.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not bashing Jimmy or calling Mrazek the next coming of Hasek. I'm just thinking of the possibility of a Vancouver-esque situation in 3-4 seasons. I'm happy we locked Jimmy up. He's a proven commodity, and has been rewarded as such.

Howard has only one mediocre season under his belt, and it was the notorious sophomore goalie season.

not sure what else you guys expected. a workhorse goalie getting his first big payday is always going to be "overpaid" to some degree.

heck, every player getting their first big payday as a FA is overpaid, after being underpaid in the earlier years in the league

Guest The Axe

Howard isn't the problem, but the concept is the problem. We don't need a goalie who plays every game and is a consistently good player. Is it good to have that? Yes. But its not what the RED WINGS need.

WE CANNOT SCORE.

REPEAT.

WE CANNOT SCORE.

Not rocket science, people.

not sure what else you guys expected. a workhorse goalie getting his first big payday is always going to be "overpaid" to some degree.

heck, every player getting their first big payday as a FA is overpaid, after being underpaid in the earlier years in the league

4x4,5 = 18 m OR

5x4 = 20 M

I have nothing against Howard, I love his attitude but he isn't a 5,3 per year for 6 years goalie.

Howard isn't the problem, but the concept is the problem. We don't need a goalie who plays every game and is a consistently good player. Is it good to have that? Yes. But its not what the RED WINGS need.

WE CANNOT SCORE.

REPEAT.

WE CANNOT SCORE.

Not rocket science, people.

I have no idea what your point is in regards to Howard's new contract, which is the topic of this thread.

The Wings don't need a goalie who is a consistently good player??

Scoring is also a legitimate issue, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. Howard's contract was expiring. The Wings needed to re-sign him or find another goalie in the offseason in addition to all their other needs, like scoring.

I have no idea what your point is in regards to Howard's new contract, which is the topic of this thread.

Scoring is also a legitimate issue, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. Howard's contract was expiring. The Wings needed to re-sign him or find another goalie in the offseason in addition to all their other needs, like scoring.

so we should get a lot of firepower and trade away our goaltender for it, and trust rookies between the pipes right...

cause that works out so well for tampa

Prefer less, but in this market that's what he is worth. He's the best option.

Expectations will be higher on him though, I'll expect him to be top 10 at least, or he will face criticism. Right now he's a huge bargain though.

Like this signing!!! Our D has been solid BUT lets not forget how many times Howie has been hung out dry...Easily 10-12 goals have been NO fault of his and would have taken a lucky snow angel to make the save. Conversely he has let in a few stnkers BUT the defensive breakdowns are much much more common than a Howie softy.

Good for Jimmy!!!

Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, Luongo, Price, Ward, Andersson easily > Howard

5 Mill would be a huge huge overpayment in my eyes

Miller, Ward and Anderson? You crazy?!

Howard is more consistantly good than all three of those guys. They may hav a little more upside but Howard is much more consistant.

Price, Rinne, Lundqvist...yes. Loungo (no matter how much I hate to say it) is better than Jimmy.

I'm glad Howie has been re-signed. But I do not understand 6 years. What the hell is happening to Holland?

The crazy GM's have done this to the NHL...and part of it is Holland's fault. See Franzen/Zetterberg's deals...Holland was doling them out before it was the cool thing to do.

Wow. Can everybody just calm down a little bit about Petr Mrazek? Mrazek is 21 years old with virtually no track record. He doesn't factor into a Jimmy Howard signing

There's really group of about 10-15 goalies in today's league that make up the "top" goalies in the league.

For all the stuff Holland has arguably "screwed up" or "missed" on, let it be known be known that he drafted, developed, and retained a franchise-caliber goaltender without the aid of a Top 10 pick.

Mrazek has about as much "track record" as you can judge a goalie by at his age. This kid steals games...the type of goaltender everyteam wants. Yes, he is still a prospect. That said, that doesn't mean you don't take him into account when signing Howard to a 6 year deal. What do you think Mrazek thinks about it? Do you think it doesn't weigh on him that the Wings (who called him up at an earlier age than any goaltender I remember) basically said, without saying, that Mrazek isn't going to be the guy for 6 years? What does that do to a kids mindset? Yea, if he's professional he'll get over it. But its just like sending Tatar down or burying Nyquist all year...do you think they don't know that they are better than half our forwards? Yet they ride the bus in GR. I don't know about you...but that would drive me crazy. I want to KNOW that I can win the job whenever I'm the best option.

There arent 10 top goalies in the league. A top notch goaltender is as hard to find as a franchise defenseman.

I like the Holland/Howard comment though...well said.

Only on LGW would people complain about resigning our hands down season MVP

Mind you this team can't score goals or play defense... Howard's numbers shouldn't be compared against good teams

mrazek isn't going to just be handed the starting goalie position... I imagine the last two years of Howard's contract they will split duties. Even in two years mrazek can be backup and if he is as great as everyone says he is he will play a lot more games than gustavsson

Mrazek has about as much "track record" as you can judge a goalie by at his age. This kid steals games...the type of goaltender everyteam wants. Yes, he is still a prospect. That said, that doesn't mean you don't take him into account when signing Howard to a 6 year deal. What do you think Mrazek thinks about it? Do you think it doesn't weigh on him that the Wings (who called him up at an earlier age than any goaltender I remember) basically said, without saying, that Mrazek isn't going to be the guy for 6 years? What does that do to a kids mindset? Yea, if he's professional he'll get over it. But its just like sending Tatar down or burying Nyquist all year...do you think they don't know that they are better than half our forwards? Yet they ride the bus in GR. I don't know about you...but that would drive me crazy. I want to KNOW that I can win the job whenever I'm the best option.

There arent 10 top goalies in the league. A top notch goaltender is as hard to find as a franchise defenseman.

I like the Holland/Howard comment though...well said.

Oh please. You think Cory Schneider thought that way? "Damn, I'm not gonna be 'the guy' in Vancouver for a long time...".

If Mrazek keeps being awesome and keeps developing he'll get his chance, and if he outplays Howard he'll be the #1.

The way I see it, next year Mrazek is full-time #1 in GR. Then you have atleast 1 year, maybe 2 years as a backup to Jimmy. Best case scenario it develops into a 1A-1B system.

Holland had to sign Jimmy, and the money is right in the ballpark of what he's worth if you look around the league. He plays a ton of games and he does it well. Sure it would be nice to have it a bit cheaper or take off a year or two, but it's not that easy. Key thing is we've locked up quality goaltending for the forseeable future, even if Mrazek would somehow, some way, turn out to be a bust.

And Ken Holland again proves he has no brains.

Since the Bertuzzi signing, he has now paid 3 mil for Sammy, 2 mil for Colo, 2 mil for Tootoo, 2 mil for Bertuzzi, 2 mil for Abdelkader, 4 mil for Quincey, 1 mil for Gustavson, 5 mil for Howard.

None of these players can SCORE GOALS.

21 million for jack squat. Add Flip and its 25 million. Gee, I wonder why we are struggling.

The worst part about it is that the drop off from our waste is not even a drop off in most cases. Its an improvement.

Howard ~ Mrazek = 3 mil savings

Filppula ~ Nyquist = 3 mil savings

Quincey ~ Dekeyser = 2 mil savings

Sammy ~ Anderson = 2 mil savings

Abdelkader ~ Tatar = 1 mil savings

Colo ~ Lash off = 1 mil savings

Tootoo ~ Sheahan = 1 mil savings

Bertuzzi ~ Ferarro = 1 mil savings

Gustavsson ~ McCollum = 1 mil savings.

15 million down the crapper. This is why we are in 8th place. The good teams are picking up superstar forwards and paying them 7-9 mil a year and putting them with good, big, young players out of their system. We are picking up crappy old guys and letting them take the spots of our young players. Injuries are the only thing that stops Holland's stupidity from totally wrecking the organization.

You have posted some pretty classic stuff before but this takes the cake.

Congrats to Jimmy, Not a huge fan of the term, 6 years is too much for a goalie but the money is right. He is a top notch goalie and has proven such.

Edited by puckbags

Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, Luongo, Price, Ward, Andersson easily > Howard

5 Mill would be a huge huge overpayment in my eyes

I would say the only guys on your list better than Howard are Lundqvist and Rinne. Howard = Luongo, Price and Andersson. Miller and Ward are not consistent. Jimmy has proven to be quite consistent.

Guest The Axe

I will be crystal clear for you, Harold. I don't want to be banned again for a disagreement.

We get a LOSS if we score ZERO goals. Our goalie could give up 10 goals. He could give up 1 goal. Doesn't matter. We get a LOSS if we don't score.

So signing ANY goalie to a big contract right now does not help solve our most pressing need right now = SCORING MORE GOALS.

And thus, paying Howard 5 mil a season doesn't do anything EXCEPT decrease any cap space we may have and hinder our inept GM from signing a legitimate sniper.

Perfectly on topic and easy to understand. Do we need to be under 500, not making the playoffs, and last in the league in offense before the general consensus changes? Our defense and goalie are FANTASTIC, but we can't score!! And you have to do that to win!!