• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#41 Red Winged

Red Winged

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

I'm glad Howie has been re-signed. But I do not understand 6 years. What the hell is happening to Holland? 

1936, 1937, 1943, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1955, 1997, 1998, 2002, 2008

#42 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, Luongo, Price, Ward, Andersson easily > Howard

5 Mill would be a huge huge overpayment in my eyes

Miller, Ward and Anderson? You crazy?!

Howard is more consistantly good than all three of those guys. They may hav a little more upside but Howard is much more consistant.

Price, Rinne, Lundqvist...yes. Loungo (no matter how much I hate to say it) is better than Jimmy.

I'm glad Howie has been re-signed. But I do not understand 6 years. What the hell is happening to Holland? 

The crazy GM's have done this to the NHL...and part of it is Holland's fault. See Franzen/Zetterberg's deals...Holland was doling them out before it was the cool thing to do.

#43 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

Wow.  Can everybody just calm down a little bit about Petr Mrazek?  Mrazek is 21 years old with virtually no track record.  He doesn't factor into a Jimmy Howard signing

There's really group of about 10-15 goalies in today's league that make up the "top" goalies in the league. 

For all the stuff Holland has arguably "screwed up" or "missed" on, let it be known be known that he drafted, developed, and retained a franchise-caliber goaltender without the aid of a Top 10 pick.

Mrazek has about as much "track record" as you can judge a goalie by at his age. This kid steals games...the type of goaltender everyteam wants. Yes, he is still a prospect. That said, that doesn't mean you don't take him into account when signing Howard to a 6 year deal. What do you think Mrazek thinks about it? Do you think it doesn't weigh on him that the Wings (who called him up at an earlier age than any goaltender I remember) basically said, without saying, that Mrazek isn't going to be the guy for 6 years? What does that do to a kids mindset? Yea, if he's professional he'll get over it. But its just like sending Tatar down or burying Nyquist all year...do you think they don't know that they are better than half our forwards? Yet they ride the bus in GR. I don't know about you...but that would drive me crazy. I want to KNOW that I can win the job whenever I'm the best option.

There arent 10 top goalies in the league. A top notch goaltender is as hard to find as a franchise defenseman.

I like the Holland/Howard comment though...well said.

#44 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:47 PM

Only on LGW would people complain about resigning our hands down season MVP

Mind you this team can't score goals or play defense... Howard's numbers shouldn't be compared against good teams

mrazek isn't going to just be handed the starting goalie position... I imagine the last two years of Howard's contract they will split duties. Even in two years mrazek can be backup and if he is as great as everyone says he is he will play a lot more games than gustavsson

#45 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

Mrazek has about as much "track record" as you can judge a goalie by at his age. This kid steals games...the type of goaltender everyteam wants. Yes, he is still a prospect. That said, that doesn't mean you don't take him into account when signing Howard to a 6 year deal. What do you think Mrazek thinks about it? Do you think it doesn't weigh on him that the Wings (who called him up at an earlier age than any goaltender I remember) basically said, without saying, that Mrazek isn't going to be the guy for 6 years? What does that do to a kids mindset? Yea, if he's professional he'll get over it. But its just like sending Tatar down or burying Nyquist all year...do you think they don't know that they are better than half our forwards? Yet they ride the bus in GR. I don't know about you...but that would drive me crazy. I want to KNOW that I can win the job whenever I'm the best option.

There arent 10 top goalies in the league. A top notch goaltender is as hard to find as a franchise defenseman.

I like the Holland/Howard comment though...well said.

Oh please. You think Cory Schneider thought that way? "Damn, I'm not gonna be 'the guy' in Vancouver for a long time...". 

If Mrazek keeps being awesome and keeps developing he'll get his chance, and if he outplays Howard he'll be the #1. 

The way I see it, next year Mrazek is full-time #1 in GR. Then you have atleast 1 year, maybe 2 years as a backup to Jimmy. Best case scenario it develops into a 1A-1B system. 

Holland had to sign Jimmy, and the money is right in the ballpark of what he's worth if you look around the league. He plays a ton of games and he does it well. Sure it would be nice to have it a bit cheaper or take off a year or two, but it's not that easy. Key thing is we've locked up quality goaltending for the forseeable future, even if Mrazek would somehow, some way, turn out to be a bust. 

#46 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Puck Daddy's take for what its worth. Alot of the same weve discussed here.

http://sports.yahoo...._medium=twitter

Crosby is a crybaby *****

#47 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

And Ken Holland again proves he has no brains.

Since the Bertuzzi signing, he has now paid 3 mil for Sammy, 2 mil for Colo, 2 mil for Tootoo, 2 mil for Bertuzzi, 2 mil for Abdelkader, 4 mil for Quincey, 1 mil for Gustavson, 5 mil for Howard.

None of these players can SCORE GOALS.

21 million for jack squat. Add Flip and its 25 million. Gee, I wonder why we are struggling.

The worst part about it is that the drop off from our waste is not even a drop off in most cases. Its an improvement.

Howard ~ Mrazek = 3 mil savings
Filppula ~ Nyquist = 3 mil savings
Quincey ~ Dekeyser = 2 mil savings
Sammy ~ Anderson = 2 mil savings
Abdelkader ~ Tatar = 1 mil savings
Colo ~ Lash off = 1 mil savings
Tootoo ~ Sheahan = 1 mil savings
Bertuzzi ~ Ferarro = 1 mil savings
Gustavsson ~ McCollum = 1 mil savings.

15 million down the crapper. This is why we are in 8th place. The good teams are picking up superstar forwards and paying them 7-9 mil a year and putting them with good, big, young players out of their system. We are picking up crappy old guys and letting them take the spots of our young players. Injuries are the only thing that stops Holland's stupidity from totally wrecking the organization.

You have posted some pretty classic stuff before but this takes the cake.

Congrats to Jimmy, Not a huge fan of the term, 6 years is too much for a goalie but the money is right. He is a top notch goalie and has proven such. 

Edited by puckbags, 11 April 2013 - 02:12 PM.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#48 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, Luongo, Price, Ward, Andersson easily > Howard

5 Mill would be a huge huge overpayment in my eyes

I would say the only guys on your list better than Howard are Lundqvist and Rinne.  Howard = Luongo, Price and Andersson.  Miller and Ward are not consistent.  Jimmy has proven to be quite consistent.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#49 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

Wow. Some on here.... wow..... Good job Holland, the G and D positions are filled for the long term. Now fix the forward group and we are set.

#50 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:15 PM

I have no idea what your point is in regards to Howard's new contract, which is the topic of this thread.

The Wings don't need a goalie who is a consistently good player??

Scoring is also a legitimate issue, but the two aren't mutually exclusive. Howard's contract was expiring. The Wings needed to re-sign him or find another goalie in the offseason in addition to all their other needs, like scoring.

I will be crystal clear for you, Harold. I don't want to be banned again for a disagreement.

We get a LOSS if we score ZERO goals. Our goalie could give up 10 goals. He could give up 1 goal. Doesn't matter. We get a LOSS if we don't score.

So signing ANY goalie to a big contract right now does not help solve our most pressing need right now = SCORING MORE GOALS.

And thus, paying Howard 5 mil a season doesn't do anything EXCEPT decrease any cap space we may have and hinder our inept GM from signing a legitimate sniper.

Perfectly on topic and easy to understand. Do we need to be under 500, not making the playoffs, and last in the league in offense before the general consensus changes? Our defense and goalie are FANTASTIC, but we can't score!! And you have to do that to win!!

#51 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:18 PM

It may take Mrazek 6 years to be better than Howard.  Patterson may sneak up and leapfrog Mrazek on the depth chart.  In the meantime, we have an incredible goalie in Howard for 6 years.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#52 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:21 PM

I think we will have a Luongo/Schneider similar situation on our hands in 3 years when other teams try to rip us off if we try moving Howard to make room for Mrazek.

People jumping on the mraz bandwagon too early. But if he does eventually step up...that's a heck of a goalie tandem and Howard is moveable where luo go isn't.

BTW stop crying guys. His contract is so much better than franzens, z, and kronwall its not even funny. Even IF Howard got injury prone its only until he's 35....not 83. Zs contract will be terrible here soon. He is younger than dats and health wise much more worse. Franzen is well franzen.

#53 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

I will be crystal clear for you, Harold. I don't want to be banned again for a disagreement.

We get a LOSS if we score ZERO goals. Our goalie could give up 10 goals. He could give up 1 goal. Doesn't matter. We get a LOSS if we don't score.

So signing ANY goalie to a big contract right now does not help solve our most pressing need right now = SCORING MORE GOALS.

And thus, paying Howard 5 mil a season doesn't do anything EXCEPT decrease any cap space we may have and hinder our inept GM from signing a legitimate sniper.

Perfectly on topic and easy to understand. Do we need to be under 500, not making the playoffs, and last in the league in offense before the general consensus changes? Our defense and goalie are FANTASTIC, but we can't score!! And you have to do that to win!!

ya and if we score 4 goals a game but we have a sucky goalie that gives up 5 we will always lose. the truth is we need both. all you need to win the playoffs is 2-3 goals a game and a good goalie. we have our good goalie and are arguably one player away from being a legit threat next season. in 3 years if the cap is high again youll start to love the jimmy contract when others are getting paid 7-8mil. its not about right now, its going into the future, because its pretty clear we arent winning this year.

#54 Matt

Matt

D<[[[| x11

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:27 PM

I'll make this crystal clear for you: You don't get banned for being in disagreement. Conducting yourself with comments like that, however, will. 

#55 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

ya and if we score 4 goals a game but we have a sucky goalie that gives up 5 we will always lose. the truth is we need both. all you need to win the playoffs is 2-3 goals a game and a good goalie. we have our good goalie and are arguably one player away from being a legit threat next season. in 3 years if the cap is high again youll start to love the jimmy contract when others are getting paid 7-8mil. its not about right now, its going into the future, because its pretty clear we arent winning this year.

The difference is your example is an "if". Mine is an "is". Let's score the 4 goals and see what happens. We KNOW that zero doesn't work. So many examples this year of Howard playing awesome only to lose because we've got no goal scoring. I don't want a team that needs a shutout from the goalie every night. That is a team that doesn't win.

#56 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

180px-Capt._Obvious.jpg

Lets score goals to win hockey games!  Sorry Axe...couldn't pass up the opportunity to use some Captain Obvious :lol:

Free darkmanx!

#57 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

The difference is your example is an "if". Mine is an "is". Let's score the 4 goals and see what happens. We KNOW that zero doesn't work. So many examples this year of Howard playing awesome only to lose because we've got no goal scoring. I don't want a team that needs a shutout from the goalie every night. That is a team that doesn't win.

So we let Howard walk and use the money to sign some snipers? what snipers? Only 2 are availabvle in UFA this year. Clarkson and Horton. that is basicly it, unless you are talking about signing spome more over 30 guys. ok trade for them. Fine, we can do that anyway. but, then we also have ahole at G that needs to be filled. More trades.... this is the right move. howard IS NOT OUR PROBLEM. Nor is his contract. if we have money issues-yet to be seen, it really comes from having so much tied up in forwards that can't produce. Again, nothing to do with Howard.

#58 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

So we let Howard walk and use the money to sign some snipers? what snipers? Only 2 are availabvle in UFA this year. Clarkson and Horton. that is basicly it, unless you are talking about signing spome more over 30 guys. ok trade for them. Fine, we can do that anyway. but, then we also have ahole at G that needs to be filled. More trades.... this is the right move. howard IS NOT OUR PROBLEM. Nor is his contract. if we have money issues-yet to be seen, it really comes from having so much tied up in forwards that can't produce. Again, nothing to do with Howard.

Agreed.  We have 5 top 6 guys and 18 3rd/4th liners.  Why can't we score?  At this point, I'd rather Holland offer Mason Raymond 3 mil to come add some more speed to our top 6 or spread the wealth to the 3rd line to have a ridiculous fast line with Helm.

Free darkmanx!

#59 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

In the last 15-20 years, who has been the best G? Brodeur hands down. not even close. What is his career save %? .913. What is Howards career save %? .917. last time I checked that would BE BETTER than Brodeur. Some folks really need to stop guessing at s*** and look things up before they talk.

#60 Din758

Din758

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

and we get a good amount of forwards off the books at seasons end. plug in young guys for cheap, we easily have 5-7 mil throw at a scorer in the offseason.