• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matt198913

Official: Howard signs 6-year, $31.8m contract extension

Rate this topic

Guest DeGraa55

I think we will have a Luongo/Schneider similar situation on our hands in 3 years when other teams try to rip us off if we try moving Howard to make room for Mrazek.

People jumping on the mraz bandwagon too early. But if he does eventually step up...that's a heck of a goalie tandem and Howard is moveable where luo go isn't.

BTW stop crying guys. His contract is so much better than franzens, z, and kronwall its not even funny. Even IF Howard got injury prone its only until he's 35....not 83. Zs contract will be terrible here soon. He is younger than dats and health wise much more worse. Franzen is well franzen.

I will be crystal clear for you, Harold. I don't want to be banned again for a disagreement.

We get a LOSS if we score ZERO goals. Our goalie could give up 10 goals. He could give up 1 goal. Doesn't matter. We get a LOSS if we don't score.

So signing ANY goalie to a big contract right now does not help solve our most pressing need right now = SCORING MORE GOALS.

And thus, paying Howard 5 mil a season doesn't do anything EXCEPT decrease any cap space we may have and hinder our inept GM from signing a legitimate sniper.

Perfectly on topic and easy to understand. Do we need to be under 500, not making the playoffs, and last in the league in offense before the general consensus changes? Our defense and goalie are FANTASTIC, but we can't score!! And you have to do that to win!!

ya and if we score 4 goals a game but we have a sucky goalie that gives up 5 we will always lose. the truth is we need both. all you need to win the playoffs is 2-3 goals a game and a good goalie. we have our good goalie and are arguably one player away from being a legit threat next season. in 3 years if the cap is high again youll start to love the jimmy contract when others are getting paid 7-8mil. its not about right now, its going into the future, because its pretty clear we arent winning this year.

I will be crystal clear for you, Harold. I don't want to be banned again for a disagreement.

I'll make this crystal clear for you: You don't get banned for being in disagreement. Conducting yourself with comments like that, however, will.

Guest The Axe

ya and if we score 4 goals a game but we have a sucky goalie that gives up 5 we will always lose. the truth is we need both. all you need to win the playoffs is 2-3 goals a game and a good goalie. we have our good goalie and are arguably one player away from being a legit threat next season. in 3 years if the cap is high again youll start to love the jimmy contract when others are getting paid 7-8mil. its not about right now, its going into the future, because its pretty clear we arent winning this year.

The difference is your example is an "if". Mine is an "is". Let's score the 4 goals and see what happens. We KNOW that zero doesn't work. So many examples this year of Howard playing awesome only to lose because we've got no goal scoring. I don't want a team that needs a shutout from the goalie every night. That is a team that doesn't win.

The difference is your example is an "if". Mine is an "is". Let's score the 4 goals and see what happens. We KNOW that zero doesn't work. So many examples this year of Howard playing awesome only to lose because we've got no goal scoring. I don't want a team that needs a shutout from the goalie every night. That is a team that doesn't win.

So we let Howard walk and use the money to sign some snipers? what snipers? Only 2 are availabvle in UFA this year. Clarkson and Horton. that is basicly it, unless you are talking about signing spome more over 30 guys. ok trade for them. Fine, we can do that anyway. but, then we also have ahole at G that needs to be filled. More trades.... this is the right move. howard IS NOT OUR PROBLEM. Nor is his contract. if we have money issues-yet to be seen, it really comes from having so much tied up in forwards that can't produce. Again, nothing to do with Howard.

So we let Howard walk and use the money to sign some snipers? what snipers? Only 2 are availabvle in UFA this year. Clarkson and Horton. that is basicly it, unless you are talking about signing spome more over 30 guys. ok trade for them. Fine, we can do that anyway. but, then we also have ahole at G that needs to be filled. More trades.... this is the right move. howard IS NOT OUR PROBLEM. Nor is his contract. if we have money issues-yet to be seen, it really comes from having so much tied up in forwards that can't produce. Again, nothing to do with Howard.

Agreed. We have 5 top 6 guys and 18 3rd/4th liners. Why can't we score? At this point, I'd rather Holland offer Mason Raymond 3 mil to come add some more speed to our top 6 or spread the wealth to the 3rd line to have a ridiculous fast line with Helm.

In the last 15-20 years, who has been the best G? Brodeur hands down. not even close. What is his career save %? .913. What is Howards career save %? .917. last time I checked that would BE BETTER than Brodeur. Some folks really need to stop guessing at sh!t and look things up before they talk.

and we get a good amount of forwards off the books at seasons end. plug in young guys for cheap, we easily have 5-7 mil throw at a scorer in the offseason.

Jesus, the flack Howard gets here is ridiculous. 6 years is long, yes, but if it's a moveable contract I see no problem with it. $5mil is fair for what Howard brings to the table and his lapses are usually due to our defense allowing odd man rushes or making horrible turnovers this season.

Long story short, Howard has bailed us out a lot more than he's let us down.

Edited by skyphoenix

Oh please. You think Cory Schneider thought that way? "Damn, I'm not gonna be 'the guy' in Vancouver for a long time...".

If Mrazek keeps being awesome and keeps developing he'll get his chance, and if he outplays Howard he'll be the #1.

The way I see it, next year Mrazek is full-time #1 in GR. Then you have atleast 1 year, maybe 2 years as a backup to Jimmy. Best case scenario it develops into a 1A-1B system.

Holland had to sign Jimmy, and the money is right in the ballpark of what he's worth if you look around the league. He plays a ton of games and he does it well. Sure it would be nice to have it a bit cheaper or take off a year or two, but it's not that easy. Key thing is we've locked up quality goaltending for the forseeable future, even if Mrazek would somehow, some way, turn out to be a bust.

Maybe Cory Scnieder did think that way. Obviously Loungo is very uphappy. What if Mrazek clearly won the starting job 2 years from now? Then you have a situation where your backup is vastly overpaid and most likely, very unhappy. How do you think players like signing a 10 year deal, firming planting thier family in a city because the team commited to them, only to lose their job, house, land, schools, kids friends, blah blah blah? Loungo lost his job and not just because Scnieder has been great but because of his contract. Now Vancouver looks bad for signing him to it, for not trading him last year, for not trading him now...if I was Loungo I'd be furious. If I was Schnieder I'd think its a giant circus and Id wonder why they ever signed Loungo that long if they thought so highly of me.

So please, consider all the factors. This is not as bad as Loungo's deal but what I said makes plenty of sense and if not likely is surely possible. Goaltenders should not be signed to huge deals...and Bryzgalov, Loungo, and DiPietro can attest to that. If Mrazek does become an elite goalie in the next three years (which is entirely possible considering his continued meteoeic rise), it can create a dicey situation akin to the Curtis Joseph debacle.

To be clear.. I like the price for Jimmy. I am actually one of Howards bigger fans in a see of haters that seem to bash him constantly. He is much better than people give him credit for. But I don't like the term, mainly because of Mrazek's presence. Situations like Loungo's or Joseph's can make players not want to sign here...and since Iginlaand Bouwmeester were coming from the Flames and niether wanted to play for us...I think we ccan't afford to gamble too much. I'm not saying that any of this will happen, I'm just saying that I believe most people don't consider these truths when judging a contract.

In the last 15-20 years, who has been the best G? Brodeur hands down. not even close. What is his career save %? .913. What is Howards career save %? .917. last time I checked that would BE BETTER than Brodeur. Some folks really need to stop guessing at s*** and look things up before they talk.

I am one of the biggest howie supporters on these boards, and even I know that you cannot compare Brodeur to Howard, Brodeur is the much better goalie hands down. Even at 41 I think Brodeur has an edge on him. The only goalie I would would ever compare with Brodeur is Roy

Personally its nice to see someone get there due. Howard is the main reason the Wings even have a shot at the playoffs, spent 4 years in Grand Rapids. Mrazek will not be a starter for atleast 4-5 years....Not sure if anyone realizes this, but the Wings max out players in the minors, I doubt that changes lol .....

And this forum would explode calling for Hollands head if Howard walked over a million bucks......

Personally its nice to see someone get there due. Howard is the main reason the Wings even have a shot at the playoffs, spent 4 years in Grand Rapids. Mrazek will not be a starter for atleast 4-5 years....Not sure if anyone realizes this, but the Wings max out players in the minors, I doubt that changes lol .....

And this forum would explode calling for Hollands head if Howard walked over a million bucks......

Howard was a very good goalie coming out of college but for some reason I have the feeling that Mrazek is one of the next wave of elite goaltenders. He has dominated every level that he's played at, especially against the best of his peers at the WJC and is tearing up the AHL. I think Howard is more of a positional, structured goaltender where Mrazek seems to be a athletic/skill guy. Positional goalies can be very good but i think I guys like Mrazek that take the position to its next level. Point is, i wouldnt be surprised at all to see Mrazek pushing out Jimmy by the end of year two and almost certainly in year three.

The kid will turn 24 in year three...if he is what he's touted to be, he should be well coming into his own by then.

Edited by achildr1

I couldn't even make it through this entire thread because everyone here is f****** spoiled. Why don't our guys just sign minimum contracts and score 50 goals a season? Greedy lazy bastards they are. Sid's Howie face wash was worth $5 mil alone, not to mention all that damn rubber he's had coming at him this year.

Edited by rrasco

Anyone thinking we will have a Luongo/Schneider problem in the future is clueless. Luongo's cap number is comparable to Jimmys but Luongo has what 9 years left on his deal when trying to be moved. That contract is almost unmoveable with getting any decent in return. Now if Mrazek or anybody all of sudden beats Jimmy out for a job in the next 2-3 years (which is how long it would probably take at minimum) its a heck of a lot easier to move a 5 million goalie contract with only 2-3 years left on it. Heck even in that time Luongo's contract could still have more on it than Jimmy initial signed for. Im actually hoping we have a goalie battle down the road. That means the Wing will have to top notch goalies with easily moveable contracts. Much better than the alternative of having none.

But what it comes down to is there are people that dislike Jimmy will never give him credit. They will complain about the 1 he lets in but instantly forget the 35+ he saved. But thats common about Wings fans. They will never be happy with any goalie. Hell the wings could put a board up in front of the goal that covers the entire net and people would find a reason to complain about it.

Howard was a very good goalie coming out of college but for some reason I have the feeling that Mrazek is one of the next wave of elite goaltenders. He has dominated every level that he's played at, especially against the best of his peers at the WJC and is tearing up the AHL. I think Howard is more of a positional, structured goaltender where Mrazek seems to be a athletic/skill guy. Positional goalies can be very good but i think I guys like Mrazek that take the position to its next level. Point is, i wouldnt be surprised at all to see Mrazek pushing out Jimmy by the end of year two and almost certainly in year three.

The kid will turn 24 in year three...if he is what he's touted to be, he should be well coming into his own by then.

If so a 3yr/5million contract is easily moved. If Mrazek fails then the Wings have another 3 years to develop someone else. Good contract if you ask me.

Maybe Cory Scnieder did think that way. Obviously Loungo is very uphappy. What if Mrazek clearly won the starting job 2 years from now? Then you have a situation where your backup is vastly overpaid and most likely, very unhappy. How do you think players like signing a 10 year deal, firming planting thier family in a city because the team commited to them, only to lose their job, house, land, schools, kids friends, blah blah blah? Loungo lost his job and not just because Scnieder has been great but because of his contract. Now Vancouver looks bad for signing him to it, for not trading him last year, for not trading him now...if I was Loungo I'd be furious. If I was Schnieder I'd think its a giant circus and Id wonder why they ever signed Loungo that long if they thought so highly of me.

So please, consider all the factors. This is not as bad as Loungo's deal but what I said makes plenty of sense and if not likely is surely possible. Goaltenders should not be signed to huge deals...and Bryzgalov, Loungo, and DiPietro can attest to that. If Mrazek does become an elite goalie in the next three years (which is entirely possible considering his continued meteoeic rise), it can create a dicey situation akin to the Curtis Joseph debacle.

To be clear.. I like the price for Jimmy. I am actually one of Howards bigger fans in a see of haters that seem to bash him constantly. He is much better than people give him credit for. But I don't like the term, mainly because of Mrazek's presence. Situations like Loungo's or Joseph's can make players not want to sign here...and since Iginlaand Bouwmeester were coming from the Flames and niether wanted to play for us...I think we ccan't afford to gamble too much. I'm not saying that any of this will happen, I'm just saying that I believe most people don't consider these truths when judging a contract.

Good post

"Y'know, this Mrazek kid, he'll be fighting for your job well before your term runs dry. At that time, we'll be trading one of you. Also, I got you chocolates...buuuut I eated them."

We get a LOSS if we score ZERO goals. Our goalie could give up 10 goals. He could give up 1 goal. Doesn't matter. We get a LOSS if we don't score.

So signing ANY goalie to a big contract right now does not help solve our most pressing need right now = SCORING MORE GOALS.

And thus, paying Howard 5 mil a season doesn't do anything EXCEPT decrease any cap space we may have and hinder our inept GM from signing a legitimate sniper.

Perfectly on topic and easy to understand. Do we need to be under 500, not making the playoffs, and last in the league in offense before the general consensus changes? Our defense and goalie are FANTASTIC, but we can't score!! And you have to do that to win!!

First, you were suspended not banned, or you wouldn't be able to make that post. Second, it wasn't over a disagreement.

I agree that the Wings need a sniper, but that has zero to do with Jimmy's contract. The Wings need a starting goaltender next season. Is your plan not to have a goalie and use the cap space for a sniper?

Howard's contract was up this offseason. They had been working on re-signing him. You seem to be linking signing him to getting a sniper as if they're somehow inherently mutually exclusive. It's not like Holland was ignoring all these phonecalls of people wanting to deal him offensive players because he was just too busy with Jimmy's contract.

I'm glad Howie has been re-signed. But I do not understand 6 years. What the hell is happening to Holland?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Holland gave Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, and Kronwall long extensions. He clearly sees Jimmy as a key part of the team. Honestly I thought it might be even longer.

I think I'm happy that Howard signed a 6 year deal ... part of me thinks he is worth $4.5 mill range which isn't chopped liver but then 3-4 years from now, a $5.5 m contract might seem/feel like a $4.5m one with inflation and all. Would have been nice if we could come in a bit less but hey, what the hell is Holland doing with the cap space anyhow ... nothing! So it's all good. Welcome Jimmy to a nice long stay with the Wings!

I think I'm happy that Howard signed a 6 year deal ... part of me thinks he is worth $4.5 mill range which isn't chopped liver but then 3-4 years from now, a $5.5 m contract might seem/feel like a $4.5m one with inflation and all. Would have been nice if we could come in a bit less but hey, what the hell is Holland doing with the cap space anyhow ... nothing! So it's all good. Welcome Jimmy to a nice long stay with the Wings!

That's the thing for me too.

It feels a little high right now, but ever since they introduced the cap it seems like I've felt that way time after time when a player gets signed. Then a few years down the road it's a bargain as the cap goes up.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Holland gave Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, and Kronwall long extensions. He clearly sees Jimmy as a key part of the team. Honestly I thought it might be even longer.

I think it might be more about the super long contracts in general. Zetterberg is great but I would not want to give an 11 year contract to any player, and to be completely honest, if i did it would have to be a player that I thought had skills so superior that at age 40 he would still be a point per game guy. I dont believe Z is that guy. Franzen...i was baffled then and im still baffled as to how that guy was handed a 10+ year deal for less than two years of proving himself. Howard, while great and one of my favorites, is a goalie. Maybe I live in dreamworld but i dont remember Broduer or Roy getting 6 year deals. I also feel that goalies are in a unique postion and really kind of need to be pushed, to stay on top of their game. 6 years/30 million is not bad for Howard. Id rather it be 4-5 years...but no biggie. I just think these longer contracts for both players and goalies have become a huge stumbling block for the league.