• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#81 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

And if something happens and we decide to trade him down the road his cap hit isn't outrageous.

Yep exactly. Hopefully Mrazek does come up and push him. Having two good goalies is better than banking the future on one.

#82 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

So, is there an NTC in this contract? 

#83 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,601 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

My only issue with Jimmy right now seems to be the 5-hole. It was gaping tonight in the shootout. 

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#84 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:25 AM

and we get a good amount of forwards off the books at seasons end. plug in young guys for cheap, we easily have 5-7 mil throw at a scorer in the offseason.

That's only enough to get Val. Need 7.5 mil more for Bobby Ryan.

#85 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,876 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

Sounds good to me.  Jimmy deserves it.  I'm cautiously big on Mrazek myself, but now we either have time to find someone else if he doesn't pan out, or some nice quality time with him and Jimmy together so that the little guy can learn from Jimmy and eventually have the torch passed onto him.

This may be a bit on the long side or a bit on the spendy side, but compared to the general range of contracts out there, it seems pretty average.

#86 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:55 AM

My only issue with Jimmy right now seems to be the 5-hole. It was gaping tonight in the shootout. 

It was tiny on Couture's goal.

#87 jthiel86

jthiel86

Rookie

• Pip
  • 106 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

The problem wasn't the size of the 5-hole, it was that both goals went through the same spot.

Edited by jthiel86, 12 April 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#88 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

The problem wasn't the size of the 5-hole, it was that both goals went through the same spot.

Even with his gaping five hole his save % is 6th among active goalie with atleast 70 attempts.

#89 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

So this deal is official...

#90 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Congrats to Jimmy. He's a no problems workhorse and a damn good Red Wing. I hate how Holland spends the money, but I like Jimmuh!

#91 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:15 AM

Really glad to have Jimmy around for awhile longer!

#92 rking72

rking72

Prospect

• 46 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:23 AM

I think the only way this deal turns bad is if Howard starts to play much poorer than he is currently.  I think we obviously need scoring, but with our average defense core I also think it is important that the Wings have a good solid goalie.  Seems that the Goalie/Defense is set going forward. Time to work on the Forwards...hopefully

#93 Trastion

Trastion

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

Why does it say "Signed" in the topic but the contract has not actually been signed yet? Or am I missing something? The only links I see anywhere say they are "close" to a deal.

#94 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

Yeah, should have been 4 years max... I am sure KH would have liked that but I imagine Howard's agent made the 6 year contract happen. I don't really feel good about this signing because of the term,  I thought 5 years was too long. As others have pointed out, goalies can sometimes implode out of nowhere.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 12 April 2013 - 08:32 AM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#95 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

How do you think players like signing a 10 year deal, firming planting thier family in a city because the team commited to them, only to lose their job, house, land, schools, kids friends, blah blah blah? 

Then maybe they shouldn't have become a professional athlete where things like trades are common.  Maybe a nice stable career as a dentist would have been better.

#96 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

Money is right but 6 years is too long. I want to see Mrazek in net long before 6 years!

#97 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Money is right but 6 years is too long. I want to see Mrazek in net long before 6 years!

This signing has no impact on that. Mrazek can earn the backup job and outplay jimmy in 3 years. This signing ensures us of at least having a good NHL goalie for the term, we can't rely on mrazeks potential.

#98 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

Congrats Jimmy!   Look 6 years is perfect imo, Mzarek will more then likely spend 2-3 more years in GR then come up and back up Howard for a year or two then hopefully take over the net while Jimmy backs up for Mzarek for his remanding year or two.  All while Mzarek is still on a nice petit rookie contract.  

(I just noticed how many times I said "year or two", giving myself some grace I guess ;))

Edited by 13dangledangle, 12 April 2013 - 09:35 AM.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#99 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,600 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

Congrats Jimmy

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#100 StormJH1

StormJH1

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

I mean, if you look around the league at what other teams are doing, $5.3 million for Howard is not a bad deal.  I actually think his overall game has continued to improve over the past few seasons, but that can be hard to get a read on with the changes to defense.  Same is true for his playoff performances - he's been mostly very good.  Heck, there's been some games this year (the L.A. game comes to mind) where Jimmy absolutely stole the game for us.  Without a few of those "extra" wins, we aren't even in the 8th seed right now, believe it or not.

M-A Fleury makes $5 million a year.  Jonas Hiller makes $4.5 mil.  Backstrom is very solid goalie, but Minnesota fans have complained about that $6 mil cap hit for years.  I think people look at some of these goalies like Rask and Niemi, but need to realize that if those guys were UFA's tomorrow, they'd get bigger deals than they currently have.