• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#101 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,062 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

Moneys not bad. With the cap expected to rise every year, he'll seem like a bargain soon. Hopefully this doesn't effect the teams views on Mrazek. He needs, maybe one more season in the AHL and then he should be brought up to compete. Then our goaltending will be stellar.

My only thing with Howard is he's yet to prove he can play in the playoffs. Ozzie was a playoff goalie, not as good in the regular season. Howard is kind of the opposite as of now, and I realize the team isn't what it used to be and isn't a guarantee to make the dance, but if we get in I hope Howard answers the challenge. I don't expect him to carry us to the cup, but not being the reason we lose no matter how deep we get will be a start.

#NOMOREKINDL

#102 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Happy with the signing, now if we can get some decent #2 - 3 defensman on this team and another #1 sniper on the line could put us back on top!

#103 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,450 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:52 AM

Happy with the signing, now if we can get some decent #2 - 3 defensman on this team and another #1 sniper on the line could put us back on top!

We need a #1 defensman as well. Kronwall is a good #2 but he is not a true #1 guy, and by #1 I mean a franchise defensman. 

Nice to have a goalie that can help the team win. Now if only the rest of the players would want to win like Jimmy all would be good.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 12 April 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#104 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

This signing has no impact on that. Mrazek can earn the backup job and outplay jimmy in 3 years. This signing ensures us of at least having a good NHL goalie for the term, we can't rely on mrazeks potential.

Good points! Nothing better then healthy competition to get the best out of the goalies.

#105 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Money is right but 6 years is too long. I want to see Mrazek in net long before 6 years!

Congrats Jimmy!   Look 6 years is perfect imo, Mzarek will more then likely spend 2-3 more years in GR then come up and back up Howard for a year or two then hopefully take over the net while Jimmy backs up for Mzarek for his remanding year or two.  All while Mzarek is still on a nice petit rookie contract.  

(I just noticed how many times I said "year or two", giving myself some grace I guess ;))

I feel obligated to note once again that no prospect is a sure deal. In this event, some people are counting Mrazek's proverbial egg years before it will hatch.

• Nev likes this

#106 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

Fair deal. The thing I like about Jimmy (other than the fact that he's this season's Red Wings MVP) is that you know what you're getting with him AND he's a workhourse.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#107 BleedRed&White25

BleedRed&White25

Salty Dog

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

My only thing with Howard is he's yet to prove he can play in the playoffs. Ozzie was a playoff goalie, not as good in the regular season. Howard is kind of the opposite as of now, and I realize the team isn't what it used to be and isn't a guarantee to make the dance, but if we get in I hope Howard answers the challenge. I don't expect him to carry us to the cup, but not being the reason we lose no matter how deep we get will be a start.

That San Jose series when we were down 3-0 a couple years ago, he basically willed it to 7 games himself. We just couldnt score to save our playoff lives.

• Nev likes this

Hostile to the past, impatient of the present, and cheated of the future.

#108 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

This signing has no impact on that. Mrazek can earn the backup job and outplay jimmy in 3 years. This signing ensures us of at least having a good NHL goalie for the term, we can't rely on mrazeks potential.

Absolutely. Mrazek can ease his way into the lineup then. He doesn't need all the spotlight of needing to be that #1 immediately, he can slowly take on more of a bigger role. It also allows Howard to gain a responsible, good back-up that can take some of the workload off of him. Jimmy is being overplayed season after season, exhausted by the time the playoffs hit. The only problem I could forsee is if Mrazek becomes one hell of a goalie, and they go split-time; the following contract on Mrazek's ELC, he could try and demand around Jimmy's money. If that happened, we obviously would take the better of the two, and better for the future which would most likely be Mrazek and move Jimmy. His contract isn't as binding as Luo's.

With all that said, I have no idea how the caphit works with the contract so for all I know Jimmy could be a lot cheaper down the road (I think it has to be like within a 5% decrease limit in the new CBA?). Him and Mrazek can turn into a really solid goalie tandem alongside our young solid defensive corps. Make our focus on our forward group and we'll be back before you know it.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#109 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

We need a #1 defensman as well. Kronwall is a good #2 but he is not a true #1 guy, and by #1 I mean a franchise defensman. 

Nice to have a goalie that can help the team win. Now if only the rest of the players would want to win like Jimmy all would be good.

Agreed, but I just don't know how realistic it is to get a #1 franchise defenseman. They don't normally get traded or hit the market, and we just missed on Suter.

#110 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

Agreed, but I just don't know how realistic it is to get a #1 franchise defenseman. They don't normally get traded or hit the market, and we just missed on Suter.

Lets just hope that DeKeyser, Sproul, Ouellet and Backman turn into stars.  Jimmy's GAA will be under 1.50 :)

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#111 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Congrats to Jimmy, length is a little long for my liking, but get Petr up here as quick as we can so we can get tandem pairing going again that made this team so great in the past
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#112 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

Moneys not bad. With the cap expected to rise every year, he'll seem like a bargain soon. Hopefully this doesn't effect the teams views on Mrazek. He needs, maybe one more season in the AHL and then he should be brought up to compete. Then our goaltending will be stellar.

They say that about every goalie/player until they actually win a Cup.  Osgood, Hasek...Said it about Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom.  Russians can't win Cups, Swedes can't win Cups. 

#113 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:19 PM

Don't mind the money. Like others, its the term that worries me. 

What about Petr Mrazek? Is it going to be 6 years before he is ready?  I was hoping to see him as the Wings starter in 3-4 years...

Mrazek can split the time with Howie in a few years if he's good enough.  Howard is good enough, so we at least have a legit #1 tender back there for the next 6 years.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#114 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

time to trade mrazek

#115 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

I feel obligated to note once again that no prospect is a sure deal. In this event, some people are counting Mrazek's proverbial egg years before it will hatch.

Remember when Smith was a lock to win the Calder........about 3 months ago?  Wings fans, like all hockey fans, massively over-rate their own prospects.  When they're not instant all-stars we throw them under the bus.

In other news - congrats to James T Howard, you;ve deserved this.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#116 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:39 PM

I would like this deal much better if Jimmy were 24 or 25.  Just really no reason to sign him to a six year deal.  I don't think there would have been a huge demand for Howard league wide. 

#117 Aznknight

Aznknight

Rookie

• Pip
  • 199 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:41 PM

Jimmy will win a vezina during his contract. Bank on it. You heard it here at letsgowings.com first.

#118 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,415 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:42 PM

time to trade mrazek

Ahhhhhhhhhh NO!

#119 Jaymister

Jaymister

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Lundqvist, Rinne, Miller, Luongo, Price, Ward, Andersson easily > Howard

5 Mill would be a huge huge overpayment in my eyes

Lundqvist, Rinne, Luongo, Price and Andersson sure.  Miller and Ward not anymore.

Cujo is a top 5 goalie in the league- Scott Lucidi

#120 Hiei

Hiei

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:20 PM

You know, some of the people bashing Howard's salary are likely the same that bashed Ozzie whenever he struggled or had slow times.  Probably the ones you'd hear say "We won the cup in 1998 in spite of Ozzie".  gimme a break.

Had we let howard hit the open market, there's a good chance someone might have stepped up and grabbed for him.  Yzerman just got Bishop, but he might have still gone for it.  Florida needs a goalie since Theo isn't a long term solution and it looks like Markstrom isn't there yet. 

"Hit em with your purse, ya *****!" - Random Wings fans shouting at Franziska