• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:38 PM

I mean, no one saw this coming; its unfortunate for both parties involved. If Sammy is bought out this summer, will a portion of his contract still count against the cap? Or does the definition of an amnesty buyout mean that there is no penalty?

I wouldn't go that far, he's had injury troubles in the past.

But he was worth the risk. We didn't risk anything signing him, he was the best option at the time.

#22 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

GooZe! Z Jr. ~ Acting Captain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:24 PM

anybody-remember-050.jpg

Ohh, I've got a rosebud in ma diaper.  I dunna think I can play tonight.

This offseason will determine whether Ken Holland should still be employed with the Wings organization.

Please put Smith on the Power Play!

#23 DSM

DSM

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:45 PM

Was Jason Williams coming off a .57 ppg season?

Close. Williams averaged .5875 PPG the season before he came back to the Wings.

#24 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,980 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

I'm perfectly fine with Sammy not coming back and utilizing the buyout on him this summer.

His impact would be minimal anyways even if he could stay healthy and it probably also knocks Nyquist out of the lineup.

#25 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 983 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:43 PM

Depending how sore the pec is it can be a very difficult injury to play with.  Personally, I'd rather have a healthy guy in there than someone like Cleary who is a total waste of space out on the ice the past two seasons. 

Yzerman missed a ton of games due to injury. 

#26 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

Sammy has pec muscles ... ??  :sleepy:

#27 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

I wouldn't go that far, he's had injury troubles in the past.

But he was worth the risk. We didn't risk anything signing him, he was the best option at the time.

Wasn't Semin still available?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#28 Dabura

Dabura

Cake Eater

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,057 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:56 PM

Ban.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#29 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,547 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

Depending how sore the pec is it can be a very difficult injury to play with.  Personally, I'd rather have a healthy guy in there than someone like Cleary who is a total waste of space out on the ice the past two seasons. 

Yzerman first injured his knee in 1988 sliding into a goalpost that didn't come off its moorings. Then he played most of his career with little or no cartilage in that knee. Not to mention returning to play after a full osteotomy in 2003 as a 37 year old. Then came back from taking a puck to the eye.

I'm not quite sure how Yzerman missing "a ton of games" due to injury in his 22 year career pertains to Sammy not skating due to a sore pectoral muscle.

#30 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

I'm not quite sure how Yzerman missing "a ton of games" due to injury in his 22 year career pertains to Sammy not skating due to a sore pectoral muscle.

That and how Sammy pertains to Yzerman anything.

#31 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

That and how Sammy pertains to Yzerman anything.

Samuelsson and Yzerman both shot right-handed.

#32 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 649 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:05 PM

Samuelsson and Yzerman both shot right-handed.

You got me there.

#33 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

per the earlier question. if an amnesty buyout is used, there is 0 zero nadda cap hit. he gets his money and we get complete cap relief.

#34 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:31 PM

Yzerman first injured his knee in 1988 sliding into a goalpost that didn't come off its moorings. Then he played most of his career with little or no cartilage in that knee. Not to mention returning to play after a full osteotomy in 2003 as a 37 year old. Then came back from taking a puck to the eye.

Yzerman scored his 50th goal (a great highlight reel goal, I'm surprised it's not on youtube, I just tried to find it) in the 64th game of the season against the Sabres on that play

#35 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:26 AM

Yzerman and Sammy don't belong in the same thread. Yzerman deserves much much better.

And BTW Sammy was a waste. I understand bringing in a vet for the depth. But two years and a ntc was just silly. Could of done one year saw he was done and its over with.

Personally I wish we didn't sign him but hindsight is 20/20. But if healthy I thought he was just going to take up a roster spot that is much rather see Nyquist or Tatar in

#36 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

Cut him loose!
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#37 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:55 AM

I guess this is kind of a needless rant post, but is this guy for real? I saw today that he didn't practice again because he has a "sore pectoral muscle." Have some pride man...there are guys out there who play with broken bones, I mean cleary basically skates on one leg. Step it up and help the team or good riddance.

I had a good laugh at this too.... poor poor Sammy with his sore sphinctoral muscle. He should be embarassed! Remember Stevie wincing in pain everytime he got up off the ice that one season and still was a productive player? Remember Duncan Keith losing a bunch of teeth and only missing a few shifts? Come on Sammy, be a man!

#38 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,933 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 09:04 AM

Yzerman and Sammy don't belong in the same thread. Yzerman deserves much much better.

And BTW Sammy was a waste. I understand bringing in a vet for the depth. But two years and a ntc was just silly. Could of done one year saw he was done and its over with.

Personally I wish we didn't sign him but hindsight is 20/20. But if healthy I thought he was just going to take up a roster spot that is much rather see Nyquist or Tatar in

Unless you knew all along that you were going to buy him out between year 1 & 2 anyway.

Money on the Board 2014: $5 per series, $5 per sweep, $5 per Kronwalling, $10 per Marchand Kronwalling, $1 per Zetterberg game, $1 per 2013 Calder Cup roster player goal