• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeytown0001

4/11 GDT : Sharks 3 at Red Wings 2 (SO)

Rate this topic

Guest Crymson

Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist. I don't think they exist.

You mean you wish to surrender to me? Very well, I accept!

So. Perma-ban Smith?

He doesn't need to be "perma-banned", but I do think his ice time ought to be reduced. He's been consistently outplayed by Kindl all season and yet he still averages more ice time each and every game. He's a rookie and he's playing like one, and that should spell third pair for him. But he's one of Bab's guys and so he'll continue to see considerable playing time. Back when Ericsson and Kindl were young and sucking they were out of the lineup every other night, but Babs loves him some "Smitty".

How does couture turn around and roof that backhand such a tough shot

Haha, it's been so long since we've had a goal scorer that we forget what they look like and what they bring to the ice. Couture buried that because that's what he's on the ice to do...put the puck in the net. If only there had been any goal scorers available at all in the last four years...oh wait...cough...Alex Semin...cough...Marian Gaborik...cough cough.

He doesn't need to be "perma-banned", but I do think his ice time ought to be reduced. He's been consistently outplayed by Kindl all season and yet he still averages more ice time each and every game. He's a rookie and he's playing like one, and that should spell third pair for him. But he's one of Bab's guys and so he'll continue to see considerable playing time. Back when Ericsson and Kindl were young and sucking they were out of the lineup every other night, but Babs loves him some "Smitty".

Haha, it's been so long since we've had a goal scorer that we forget what they look like and what they bring to the ice. Couture buried that because that's what he's on the ice to do...put the puck in the net. If only there had been any goal scorers available at all in the last four years...oh wait...cough...Alex Semin...cough...Marian Gaborik...cough cough.

I agree with about everything except for Semin. We know that Holland "kicked tires" but most GM's didn't want to touch Semin. He was asking for a bigger contract with a long-term commitment. His reputation, regardless if it was Washington's system or not, was that his work ethic was horrible. Just because of that stain on his resume, most turned him aside. Carolina really took him in and he's surrounded by a good bunch of characters that helped him out. I would say Detroit would do the same, as we expect, but i'm almost scared he would've caught the "I don't care" bug from some other players on this roster.

Gaborik would've been really nice but his 7.5m cap hit is hard to swallow. The way he's playing in Columbus, it could make it a lot easier to take in, but they wanted Brunner in return. We all know Holland; he thinks Brunner IS Gaborik, but at discount, so he said no way.

Guest Crymson

It was a lucky shot. I don't doubt that even he was surprised at it.

I agree with about everything except for Semin. We know that Holland "kicked tires" but most GM's didn't want to touch Semin. He was asking for a bigger contract with a long-term commitment. His reputation, regardless if it was Washington's system or not, was that his work ethic was horrible. Just because of that stain on his resume, most turned him aside. Carolina really took him in and he's surrounded by a good bunch of characters that helped him out. I would say Detroit would do the same, as we expect, but i'm almost scared he would've caught the "I don't care" bug from some other players on this roster.

Gaborik would've been really nice but his 7.5m cap hit is hard to swallow. The way he's playing in Columbus, it could make it a lot easier to take in, but they wanted Brunner in return. We all know Holland; he thinks Brunner IS Gaborik, but at discount, so he said no way.

Reputation aside, Semin signed with Carolina on a one year deal. So even if he hadn't turned it around, it still wasn't any kind of risk. Also, I don't think he was any more of a risk than the contracts we took on. There were definitely big "if" questions surrounding whether or not Sammuelsson or Colaiacovo could return to previous form, and management itself suggested that taking on Tootoo was "outside their comfort zone". They were willing to do it with three cheap plugs but not one elite level goal scorer. Also, it's management's job to scout these guys and determine whether or not Semin's reputation was his alone or because of Washington's system. I managed to get it correct before the season started, if they didn't, then I'd be glad to take on a scouting position for the Wings at half the price of whoever they're paying now.

Where did you get that they wanted Brunner in return, got a link? He was traded for the equivalent of Flip, Tootoo, and Lashoff. No goal scorers went the other way in the Gaborik deal.

Of course there was a lot of luck to it, I imagine that a lot of the insane things that Datsyuk does surprise him too. But their skill level allows them to, occasionally, make something out of nothing. Luck or no, pretty sure Emmerton or Abby don't pull that off a thousand times out of a thousand. When high level players go above and beyond, insane things happen; when average players go above and beyond they just look like good players.

Guest Crymson

Of course there was a lot of luck to it, I imagine that a lot of the insane things that Datsyuk does surprise him too. But their skill level allows them to, occasionally, make something out of nothing. Luck or no, pretty sure Emmerton or Abby don't pull that off a thousand times out of a thousand. When high level players go above and beyond, insane things happen; when average players go above and beyond they just look like good players.

Filppula pulled off a similar goal in the 2009 finals. That hasn't meant that he could do such things on a regular basis. Neither can Couture.

And I really doubt that Datsyuk surprises himself with any of his moves.

Filppula pulled off a similar goal in the 2009 finals. That hasn't meant that he could do such things on a regular basis. Neither can Couture.

And I really doubt that Datsyuk surprises himself with any of his moves.

I wasn't suggesting that Couture could do it on a regular basis, I'm saying that when skill players get lucky its spectacular. Considering we've got very few of those types of guys, we don't see it really often.

Also, while you "really doubt" it, it's only reasonable to assume that Datsyuk occasionally pulls something off that he wasn't sure he'd be able to do. Just like every other player in hockey.

Are you talking about the shootout or the goal during the game?

Because during the game he did a nice job roofing a quick backhander into the empty net.

And the move he used during the shootout is his go to move. Neither one was luck.

Idk if it was couture or pavelski but that one shot in the 1st while falling and he got off a good hard shot that almost went in and bounced over the net... Nobody on the wings would be able to do that

And why didn't somebody mention to the wings in the shootout to get it above niemi's pad he's always stopped everything along the ice made him look like a superstar

Idk if it was couture or pavelski but that one shot in the 1st while falling and he got off a good hard shot that almost went in and bounced over the net... Nobody on the wings would be able to do that

And why didn't somebody mention to the wings in the shootout to get it above niemi's pad he's always stopped everything along the ice made him look like a superstar

There's a few guys on the Wings who could do that, but like on the Couture goal, that kind of poise around the net and being able to corral and bury rebounds is what separates goal scorers from other players.

Wings have a lot of guys who can hack away at the puck if they're around the net, but not many with the hands and patience of a goal scorer.