• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#1 BleedRed&White25

BleedRed&White25

Salty Dog

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:32 AM

Apparently the folks over at nhl are not in agreement with a lot of the posters here who claim that Kenny has lost his mind.

5 out of 10 possible first place votes

http://www.nhl.com/i...id=nhl:topheads

P.S. I wasn't sure if I should put this into the similar thread about Babs, or create a new one.

Hostile to the past, impatient of the present, and cheated of the future.

#2 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

I'm giving him this offseason...so far it's not looking good.

#3 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:47 AM

Many forget that while he may not be perfect, there isn't a GM who is, and he's less imperfect than almost everyone else out there.

Anyway, it'll be funny to see HF's Wings subforum explode over this. Most of the residents there are inveterate pessimists who believe that they're more expert than coaches and GMs alike.

#4 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:05 PM

I still think he's the best gm... By far.
A lot of posters here think he is on the decline because he hasn't landed a lot of big name free agents/trades but think about this:
29 teams didn't land parise or suter
29 teams didn't land semin
29 teams didn't get bouwmeester
29 teams didn't land Justin Schultz.......
Holand did manage to land Brunner and dekeyser who both look very promising.

Most teams' rebuilds look like Edmonton's or Calgary's or buffalo's. Holland managed to construct a major rebuild without even missing the playoffs (hopefully), and he kept our prospect pool intact. (He strengthened it if you consider dekeyser a prospect.
Good job Kenny!

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#5 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Many forget that while he may not be perfect, there isn't a GM who is, and he's less imperfect than almost everyone else out there.

Anyway, it'll be funny to see HF's Wings subforum explode over this. Most of the residents there are inveterate pessimists who believe that they're more expert than coaches and GMs alike.

You sure you're not talking about LGWs? :lol:

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#6 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

People don't give him credit for the moves he HASN'T done. There are a lot of GMs who would have done things like trade Datsyuk, give up on Jimmy Howard, overpaid for free agents and gotten into cap trouble etc. 

I don't agree with everything he's done lately, and this offseason will be maybe his biggest test yet, but if he decided to leave the Red Wings he'd have 20+ owners throwing money at him. 

#7 MibJab

MibJab

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:43 PM

I mean, not landing Suter and Parise shouldn't define his career. In fact, our team is much better off not having sign two players to 18-20 million dollars of contract money. And if the fans can't realize that we still have a playoff team despite our rebuilding, then they aren't really fans at all. I agree with 100 percent of what Kenny has, or hasn't done lately. Everyone wants to win the cup now, but its just not going to happen that way. Things take time now days. Just wait 2 or 3 years. This team will be a powerhouse. 

#8 SaCkaveli20

SaCkaveli20

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

I mean, not landing Suter and Parise shouldn't define his career. In fact, our team is much better off not having sign two players to 18-20 million dollars of contract money. And if the fans can't realize that we still have a playoff team despite our rebuilding, then they aren't really fans at all. I agree with 100 percent of what Kenny has, or hasn't done lately. Everyone wants to win the cup now, but its just not going to happen that way. Things take time now days. Just wait 2 or 3 years. This team will be a powerhouse. 

While I agree to an extent. You can't really argue having a potential Norris candidate here wouldn't be great.

#9 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

I still think he's the best gm... By far.
A lot of posters here think he is on the decline because he hasn't landed a lot of big name free agents/trades but think about this:
29 teams didn't land parise or suter
29 teams didn't land semin
29 teams didn't get bouwmeester
29 teams didn't land Justin Schultz.......
Holand did manage to land Brunner and dekeyser who both look very promising.

Most teams' rebuilds look like Edmonton's or Calgary's or buffalo's. Holland managed to construct a major rebuild without even missing the playoffs (hopefully), and he kept our prospect pool intact. (He strengthened it if you consider dekeyser a prospect.
Good job Kenny!

We have possibly the best D depth in the league for prospects, and goalies coming up in Mrazek and Patterson.

The only real thing the Wings need to get back on top is a legit power forward and a sniper.  2 pieces away from being cup contenders or possible favourites in 1-2 years.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#10 MibJab

MibJab

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

While I agree to an extent. You can't really argue having a potential Norris candidate here wouldn't be great.

Yes, having Suter would be a great addition, but what Kenny and Co. are doing is, instead of replacing the best defenseman ever with one or 2 players...in a few years, our Norris Candidate will be our entire defense. And they will all be signed to under 3-4 million (minus Kronwall)

#11 hardcoretom21

hardcoretom21

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

It would seem a lot of people forget that the Wings lost Hudler to free agency.. He scored 25 goals last season! That's 25 goals the Wings are dearly missing: Sammy's barely played and Brunner is basically a rookie, so it can't be expected of him to light it up consistently...

Also, Bert and Helm's injuries have completely destroyed the balance that would have helped the Wings's 2 first lines play together on a regular basis..

Finally, it needs to be said that Suter and Parise didn't pick Minnesota over Detroit.. They just went where they were offered more money. I would have hated to see the Wings jeopardize their economic future by giving 13M to those 2....

Only breathing is more important than winning

"For most of a decade, the Wings were the most popular team not just because they won, but also because they won with flair, with speedy Russians and legendary leaders and the occasional willing fighter"

#12 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,750 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:11 PM

I'm gonna sound like a broken record here, but what else is new?

What gets me is that Holland/Nill/Red Wing scouts all seem to have this notion of landing another Dats/Hank outta Europe in the latter rounds, and yet miss out on guys like Subban/Lucic/Marchand right in our own "back yard". 

Outside of that - yeah Hollnd/Nill are a nice combo, and continue to keep the Red Wings in the playoff picture year after year.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#13 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

Not to beat up on Holland because overall I do think he's a good GM, but I wonder about the timing of this article.  Aside from calling up players from the minors and signing our own guys, he's really done nothing over the past 3 years.  So while every other team in the league makes trades and signs big name free agents, Holland's been "standing pat" and watching the team get knocked out of the playoffs earlier and earlier and is now clinging to the final playoff spot this year.  So while he's done a lot for our franchise over the years, I'm not sure what he's done these past three years that would justify giving him the top GM honors.

#14 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:44 PM

It would seem a lot of people forget that the Wings lost Hudler to free agency.. He scored 25 goals last season! That's 25 goals the Wings are dearly missing: Sammy's barely played and Brunner is basically a rookie, so it can't be expected of him to light it up consistently...

Hudler is one of the most one-dimensional individuals ever to play on this team. He could shoot if set up properly, and he was a good passer. That was it. He could neither skate nor hit nor defend, and he was very easily manhandled off the puck. If he wasn't producing enough, he was worse than useless.

Per his goal totals from last year: six of his goals went in off his skates, and many of the rest were tap-ins of rebounds or easy shots from set-ups by Filppula and Zetterberg. The two of them did all of the work. 

Edit: Whoops... I thought you were criticizing Holland for letting Hudler walk. My bad.

Edited by Crymson, 12 April 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#15 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:46 PM

Well I guess it's settled then.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#16 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

I think the timing of this article has to do with the fact that even though the Wings are struggling, we've lost more in the past 2 years than most teams could overcome and while we haven't exactly thrived, many people were calling for us to fall a lot farther than we have. Sure, we are bad by Wings standards but there's a lot of other teams that would kill for a rebuild that looks like ours.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#17 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Not to beat up on Holland because overall I do think he's a good GM, but I wonder about the timing of this article.  Aside from calling up players from the minors and signing our own guys, he's really done nothing over the past 3 years.  So while every other team in the league makes trades and signs big name free agents, Holland's been "standing pat" and watching the team get knocked out of the playoffs earlier and earlier and is now clinging to the final playoff spot this year.  So while he's done a lot for our franchise over the years, I'm not sure what he's done these past three years that would justify giving him the top GM honors.

Have you seen the list of players we've lost to retirement and free agency the last 3 years?  Lidstrom, Rafalski, Osgood, Holmstrom, Draper, Maltby have all hung up the skates.  That's 22 stanley cup rings by my count, including one all time great and a couple of borderline HOFers.  3 of our "Big 5", plus our starting goaltender from the Stanley Cup year have gone.  Throw in the loss of Hudler and Stuart.  Did I miss anyone? 

And yet we're still in a playoff spot, whilst rebuilding our pipeline to its highest level in 20 years.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#18 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

I still stand by my opinion of him. I think he is great gm but still has flaws. His signing of Sammy and cola and his franzen, z and kronwall extensions are horrible. This next off season or two will define him as a gm I believe.

That's because well see if he uses his buyouts or not. Well see if he makes any trades(need to be good) or signing fas.

I loved that he targeted parise and Sumter but I'm glad we didn't get them cause those contracts are scary.

So like every gm in all sports he has done good and bad. I believe far more good than bad but we have short memories. So this "transition" period will define how he really is as a gm. And switching to the east just throws another obstacle out there.

#19 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

We are 22nd in the league in scoring. We have a good goalie, and a great group of defensemen. Now we will see if Holland's any good. I'm gonna give him a couple years to rebuild the O, but if things don't start getting better next year, I will keep my current opinion of him in tact.

#20 Aznknight

Aznknight

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:16 PM

Babs as the best coach. Kenny as the best GM.
We'll be fine :)