• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BleedRed&White25

nhl.com calls Kenny the best GM

Rate this topic

Apparently the folks over at nhl are not in agreement with a lot of the posters here who claim that Kenny has lost his mind.

5 out of 10 possible first place votes

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=665441&navid=nhl:topheads

P.S. I wasn't sure if I should put this into the similar thread about Babs, or create a new one.

Guest Crymson

Many forget that while he may not be perfect, there isn't a GM who is, and he's less imperfect than almost everyone else out there.

Anyway, it'll be funny to see HF's Wings subforum explode over this. Most of the residents there are inveterate pessimists who believe that they're more expert than coaches and GMs alike.

I still think he's the best gm... By far.

A lot of posters here think he is on the decline because he hasn't landed a lot of big name free agents/trades but think about this:

29 teams didn't land parise or suter

29 teams didn't land semin

29 teams didn't get bouwmeester

29 teams didn't land Justin Schultz.......

Holand did manage to land Brunner and dekeyser who both look very promising.

Most teams' rebuilds look like Edmonton's or Calgary's or buffalo's. Holland managed to construct a major rebuild without even missing the playoffs (hopefully), and he kept our prospect pool intact. (He strengthened it if you consider dekeyser a prospect.

Good job Kenny!

Many forget that while he may not be perfect, there isn't a GM who is, and he's less imperfect than almost everyone else out there.

Anyway, it'll be funny to see HF's Wings subforum explode over this. Most of the residents there are inveterate pessimists who believe that they're more expert than coaches and GMs alike.

You sure you're not talking about LGWs? :lol:

People don't give him credit for the moves he HASN'T done. There are a lot of GMs who would have done things like trade Datsyuk, give up on Jimmy Howard, overpaid for free agents and gotten into cap trouble etc.

I don't agree with everything he's done lately, and this offseason will be maybe his biggest test yet, but if he decided to leave the Red Wings he'd have 20+ owners throwing money at him.

I mean, not landing Suter and Parise shouldn't define his career. In fact, our team is much better off not having sign two players to 18-20 million dollars of contract money. And if the fans can't realize that we still have a playoff team despite our rebuilding, then they aren't really fans at all. I agree with 100 percent of what Kenny has, or hasn't done lately. Everyone wants to win the cup now, but its just not going to happen that way. Things take time now days. Just wait 2 or 3 years. This team will be a powerhouse.

I mean, not landing Suter and Parise shouldn't define his career. In fact, our team is much better off not having sign two players to 18-20 million dollars of contract money. And if the fans can't realize that we still have a playoff team despite our rebuilding, then they aren't really fans at all. I agree with 100 percent of what Kenny has, or hasn't done lately. Everyone wants to win the cup now, but its just not going to happen that way. Things take time now days. Just wait 2 or 3 years. This team will be a powerhouse.

While I agree to an extent. You can't really argue having a potential Norris candidate here wouldn't be great.

I still think he's the best gm... By far.

A lot of posters here think he is on the decline because he hasn't landed a lot of big name free agents/trades but think about this:

29 teams didn't land parise or suter

29 teams didn't land semin

29 teams didn't get bouwmeester

29 teams didn't land Justin Schultz.......

Holand did manage to land Brunner and dekeyser who both look very promising.

Most teams' rebuilds look like Edmonton's or Calgary's or buffalo's. Holland managed to construct a major rebuild without even missing the playoffs (hopefully), and he kept our prospect pool intact. (He strengthened it if you consider dekeyser a prospect.

Good job Kenny!

We have possibly the best D depth in the league for prospects, and goalies coming up in Mrazek and Patterson.

The only real thing the Wings need to get back on top is a legit power forward and a sniper. 2 pieces away from being cup contenders or possible favourites in 1-2 years.

While I agree to an extent. You can't really argue having a potential Norris candidate here wouldn't be great.

Yes, having Suter would be a great addition, but what Kenny and Co. are doing is, instead of replacing the best defenseman ever with one or 2 players...in a few years, our Norris Candidate will be our entire defense. And they will all be signed to under 3-4 million (minus Kronwall)

It would seem a lot of people forget that the Wings lost Hudler to free agency.. He scored 25 goals last season! That's 25 goals the Wings are dearly missing: Sammy's barely played and Brunner is basically a rookie, so it can't be expected of him to light it up consistently...

Also, Bert and Helm's injuries have completely destroyed the balance that would have helped the Wings's 2 first lines play together on a regular basis..

Finally, it needs to be said that Suter and Parise didn't pick Minnesota over Detroit.. They just went where they were offered more money. I would have hated to see the Wings jeopardize their economic future by giving 13M to those 2....

Not to beat up on Holland because overall I do think he's a good GM, but I wonder about the timing of this article. Aside from calling up players from the minors and signing our own guys, he's really done nothing over the past 3 years. So while every other team in the league makes trades and signs big name free agents, Holland's been "standing pat" and watching the team get knocked out of the playoffs earlier and earlier and is now clinging to the final playoff spot this year. So while he's done a lot for our franchise over the years, I'm not sure what he's done these past three years that would justify giving him the top GM honors.

Guest Crymson

It would seem a lot of people forget that the Wings lost Hudler to free agency.. He scored 25 goals last season! That's 25 goals the Wings are dearly missing: Sammy's barely played and Brunner is basically a rookie, so it can't be expected of him to light it up consistently...

Hudler is one of the most one-dimensional individuals ever to play on this team. He could shoot if set up properly, and he was a good passer. That was it. He could neither skate nor hit nor defend, and he was very easily manhandled off the puck. If he wasn't producing enough, he was worse than useless.

Per his goal totals from last year: six of his goals went in off his skates, and many of the rest were tap-ins of rebounds or easy shots from set-ups by Filppula and Zetterberg. The two of them did all of the work.

Edit: Whoops... I thought you were criticizing Holland for letting Hudler walk. My bad.

Edited by Crymson

I think the timing of this article has to do with the fact that even though the Wings are struggling, we've lost more in the past 2 years than most teams could overcome and while we haven't exactly thrived, many people were calling for us to fall a lot farther than we have. Sure, we are bad by Wings standards but there's a lot of other teams that would kill for a rebuild that looks like ours.

Not to beat up on Holland because overall I do think he's a good GM, but I wonder about the timing of this article. Aside from calling up players from the minors and signing our own guys, he's really done nothing over the past 3 years. So while every other team in the league makes trades and signs big name free agents, Holland's been "standing pat" and watching the team get knocked out of the playoffs earlier and earlier and is now clinging to the final playoff spot this year. So while he's done a lot for our franchise over the years, I'm not sure what he's done these past three years that would justify giving him the top GM honors.

Have you seen the list of players we've lost to retirement and free agency the last 3 years? Lidstrom, Rafalski, Osgood, Holmstrom, Draper, Maltby have all hung up the skates. That's 22 stanley cup rings by my count, including one all time great and a couple of borderline HOFers. 3 of our "Big 5", plus our starting goaltender from the Stanley Cup year have gone. Throw in the loss of Hudler and Stuart. Did I miss anyone?

And yet we're still in a playoff spot, whilst rebuilding our pipeline to its highest level in 20 years.

Guest DeGraa55

I still stand by my opinion of him. I think he is great gm but still has flaws. His signing of Sammy and cola and his franzen, z and kronwall extensions are horrible. This next off season or two will define him as a gm I believe.

That's because well see if he uses his buyouts or not. Well see if he makes any trades(need to be good) or signing fas.

I loved that he targeted parise and Sumter but I'm glad we didn't get them cause those contracts are scary.

So like every gm in all sports he has done good and bad. I believe far more good than bad but we have short memories. So this "transition" period will define how he really is as a gm. And switching to the east just throws another obstacle out there.

Guest The Axe

We are 22nd in the league in scoring. We have a good goalie, and a great group of defensemen. Now we will see if Holland's any good. I'm gonna give him a couple years to rebuild the O, but if things don't start getting better next year, I will keep my current opinion of him in tact.

We are 22nd in the league in scoring. We have a good goalie, and a great group of defensemen. Now we will see if Holland's any good. I'm gonna give him a couple years to rebuild the O, but if things don't start getting better next year, I will keep my current opinion of him in tact.

You've given your current opinion of him like 437 times..you seem to be back tracking a bit..stuck on the fence? The best moves or trades that Holland has made are the ones he hasn't made in my opinion. He may be a little complacent at times but this team has been competitve for a long long time...I know the Bowman fanboys give Holland no credit but he is a great GM and will continue to be for as long as he wants. Often people say you need to build from the net out...we have our goalie..a good one coming down the pipe..a young defence but we need to figure out how we are going to score goals.

Guest The Axe

You've given your current opinion of him like 437 times..you seem to be back tracking a bit..stuck on the fence? The best moves or trades that Holland has made are the ones he hasn't made in my opinion. He may be a little complacent at times but this team has been competitve for a long long time...I know the Bowman fanboys give Holland no credit but he is a great GM and will continue to be for as long as he wants. Often people say you need to build from the net out...we have our goalie..a good one coming down the pipe..a young defence but we need to figure out how we are going to score goals.

The Dekeyser signing has really fired me up. I gotta be honest. Kenny earned some points with me on that one.

I think some people here would love to have Glen Sather as GM. The teams mediocrity would be overshadowed by the Christmas morning like nature that trade deadline day and July 1st would hold!

This. I've been thinking lately how a lot of LGWers should take a long hard look at the likes of Philly and the Rangers. Every year that they don't win the cup they blow the whole thing up - big trades, big FA signings, big buyouts, big coach hiring and firings. And from one year to the next its a complete crapshoot whether they make the playoffs or not.

Edited by Nev

The Dekeyser signing has really fired me up. I gotta be honest. Kenny earned some points with me on that one.

DeKeyser was practically wearing a Wings jersey to Toronto to be pawed at by the other suitors. The kid wanted to be a Wing from the start, all Kenny had to do was not screw it up. It's not like Kenny could've been outbid for him by other GMs due to the entry level contract because you know he probably would have been. I'm glad we got DK but he basically jumped into Kenny's lap.

esteef

Guest The Axe

DeKeyser was practically wearing a Wings jersey to Toronto to be pawed at by the other suitors. The kid wanted to be a Wing from the start, all Kenny had to do was not screw it up. It's not like Kenny could've been outbid for him by other GMs due to the entry level contract because you know he probably would have been. I'm glad we got DK but he basically jumped into Kenny's lap.

esteef

I have thought that about every player. I will give Kenny credit for his good signings. Because I'm sure going to blame him when we lose a guy like Hossa to a division rival.