#1 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

it's coming to an end.
Yes, I know possible playoff match-up....so, quiet about that

The last of regular season games has been played.  They have been in the same conference since 81-82 as well as prior to the 70's when the Hawks were in the West of Smythe division.

Probably not as intense as the Avs rivalry, but had some good times.  Will people miss it?

Your any-time FSD online source, with pre and post game coverage along with any Red Wings specials.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Red Wings and Griffins Live Games Check my profile
Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!
Dan's World, Dan's World... Mediocrity!... Excellent!

#2 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,700 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 11:33 PM

I won't miss the bandwagon Hawks fans.

#3 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:02 AM

For a long time, the Detroit-Chicago rivalry was just us kicking them while they were down. The rivalry didn't get good until 2009-2010, and even then it wasn't much of rivalry. Just 2 good teams in the same division, but no bad blood. Maybe they hate us and want it to be a rivalry, but I'm more upset about leaving the Sharks than Hawks to be honest. Sucks we likely won't have a chance to avenge the 2010 and 2011 playoff losses.

#4 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

For a long time, the Detroit-Chicago rivalry was just us kicking them while they were down. The rivalry didn't get good until 2009-2010, and even then it wasn't much of rivalry. Just 2 good teams in the same division, but no bad blood. Maybe they hate us and want it to be a rivalry, but I'm more upset about leaving the Sharks than Hawks to be honest. Sucks we likely won't have a chance to avenge the 2010 and 2011 playoff losses.

2014 Sharks vs Wings Finals?

#5 redwings15

redwings15

Rookie

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:20 AM

I hate everything about Chicago. So yeah, I'll miss when the Wings beat them. I'm glad they're getting screwed and becoming the lone original six team in the West.

Even when the Wings played against Chelios and the Blackhawks, Chicago wasn't a threat. St. Louis, San Jose, and Anaheim have been chippier rivals/playoff opponents over the last twenty years, and I'll miss those games more (despite some of their late starts).  

#6 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:32 AM

Edited by drumnj, 13 April 2013 - 12:37 AM.

Your any-time FSD online source, with pre and post game coverage along with any Red Wings specials.  Youtube page: RedWingsLive1

Always looking for people to help with the site, be it coding (PHP & JS) or design work. PM me if you'd be interested.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!

#7 drumnj

drumnj

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:46 AM

Couple more early 90's videos

Edited by drumnj, 13 April 2013 - 12:46 AM.

Cleary on, Mike!
Cleary on, Ken!

#8 rking72

rking72

Prospect

• 46 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:37 AM

I live in Illinois and I think the Hawks/Wings rivalry is way more important to Hawks fans.  They are all kinds of giddy over facebook about sweeping the Wings.  In Jest I said that they only really beat the Wings once this season the others were just ties that got decided in a game of 5 mins of fake hockey finished with a free throw contest.  Most seemed surprised that OT rules and shoot outs are kind of a newer thing.  I think when Belfour wouldnt do the hand shake line back in 94? the rivalry was somewhat chippy.  Never nearly as intense as some of the other more recent Wings rivals though.

#9 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:00 AM

it's coming to an end.
Yes, I know possible playoff match-up....so, quiet about that

The last of regular season games has been played.  They have been in the same conference since 81-82 as well as prior to the 70's when the Hawks were in the West of Smythe division.

Probably not as intense as the Avs rivalry, but had some good times.  Will people miss it?

I will miss it.  SInce they got good again we've had some excellent regular season games against them, always really close, hard-fought games (7-1 excepting).  The only shame is that we've only had the 1 playoff series against them which was a mismatch as they weren't up to our level.  Since then they've gone up and we've gone down.  Would have been nice for us to have both been elite at the same time.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#10 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

I won't miss Edzo 

#11 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:54 PM

I won't miss Edzo 

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll have to endure him on NBCSN at least 10-15 times a season.  Probably against the Hawks a time or two as well.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#12 uncle ovipositor

uncle ovipositor

Rookie

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

For the last few years I've gone out of my way to watch Hawks/Wings games and they've always been worth it. I'm going to miss them.

#13 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

I myself will miss playing a lot of teams. But it still a good thing to move to the East
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#14 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

I think meeting the Hawks in the playoffs, regardless of winning or losing will be a cool end as a western conference team and a good sendoff into the east. I'm not a big Hawks fan but damn the games are fun to watch, except if its 7-1 blowout against them. Bettman wants ratings, thats a first round matchup that gets you ratings.

#15 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

I won't miss the bandwagon Hawks fans.

The feeling is probably mutual. Our fans have abused them for so long. Funny how they don't get to return the favor now that they're better, though.

Edited by Tr!PoD#19, 16 April 2013 - 05:35 PM.

#16 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Think about the new rivalries though. Boston is a little like San Jose, Montreal or Toronto could end up being the new Blackhawks.
Buffalo is the new Columbus....... Haha

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#17 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:03 PM

I live in Illinois and I think the Hawks/Wings rivalry is way more important to Hawks fans.

I think fans of a lot of teams feel that way about the Wings.  My buddy lives down in Nashville and talks about how much of a huge rivalry the Wings have with the Preds, and that he thinks if is one of the biggest rivalries in the NHL.   He thinks I am lying or just trying to bust his balls when I tell him that people up here don't really think of the Preds as a big rival, let alone our main rival. 

#18 Serratoni

Serratoni

Rookie

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

Think about the new rivalries though. Boston is a little like San Jose, Montreal or Toronto could end up being the new Blackhawks.
Buffalo is the new Columbus....... Haha

You know you're old when you still think of Toronto as an old rival and not new.

#19 Namtaru

Namtaru

Rookie

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

I will miss it simply because I am from Michigan, a huge Red Wings fan, and live in the Chicago suburbs.

Although what I will not miss is when we would beat them I would just be excited about how good of a game it was, when the Hawks beat us I would be ridiculed for a week over it as if they just won the Stanley Cup.

#20 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,945 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 10:40 AM

You know you're old when you still think of Toronto as an old rival and not new.

I am not  oldand i think of it as an old rivalry