• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Tambelinni has been fired by Oilers. Confirmed.

Interesting news going on in Edmonton..

Reports show Steve Tambelinni fired,

Craig MacTavish new GM and Scott Howson Senior vice president.

TSNBobMcKenzie: 
Hearing Craig MacTavish is new EDM GM and Scott Howson will be taking over MacTavish's role. As per @TSNRyanRishaug, EDM fires Tambellini.

OIL COUNTRY, AWWWWW YEH THINGS GONNA GET BETT....WAIT.

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#2 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

This isn't April 1st, right?  Wow .... 

Why Scott Howson, didn't he make a mess in Columbus?

#3 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

I don't really get this like why right now?

I'm surprised we didn't see KRUEGER's name being the one fired.

#4 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:15 AM

Perhaps the Oilers' fanbase spoke up and announced that it likes getting a lottery pick every season.

#5 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

This isn't April 1st, right?  Wow .... 

Why Scott Howson, didn't he make a mess in Columbus?

You mean the competitive team that is giving the Wings a run for their money? Don't forget, the current BJ team was built almost entirely by Howson. I'm not saying the guy's a genius or anything, but maybe in retrospect, he's a better hockey mind than most were giving him credit for.

As for MacTavish, that's another story.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#6 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:46 AM

You mean the competitive team that is giving the Wings a run for their money? Don't forget, the current BJ team was built almost entirely by Howson. I'm not saying the guy's a genius or anything, but maybe in retrospect, he's a better hockey mind than most were giving him credit for.

Really ??  They had Brobovsky a supposed Vezina candidate when Howson was around?  I don't remember that.  Isn't he like one of the major reasons why CBJ is in the race at all?  Didn't Howson fire Hitchcock who seems to be doing well in St. Louis?  Signed Wisniewski for $7m?  Rick Nash episode.  

I don't think he is the worst GM like Sather or Garth Snow but his name might be mentioned next in line.  

Edited by RedWingsRox, 15 April 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#7 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:48 AM

In his 3 years drafting with the Oilers he's had 34 draft picks. About 9 of those were good picks, IMO. And 3 of those 9 are First overall picks and 7 of them are first or second rounders

And that's despite having the highest average picks almost every year. IMO our prospect pool looks just as good, even though we pick way lower and often trade away our first.

EDIT: 9 good picks

Edited by number9, 15 April 2013 - 12:00 PM.

#8 unsaddleddonald

unsaddleddonald

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:52 AM

That team is stocked full of the same type of player.

Too much of a good thing.

#9 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

That team is stocked full of the same type of player.

Too much of a good thing.

exactly! and we can help them out with some meat and potato guys Cleary, Eaves, Sammy, White, and Fil for Hall and Yak! Just to help them out with all their talent probs lol

#10 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

Really ??  They had Brobovsky a supposed Vezina candidate when Howson was around?  I don't remember that.  Isn't he like one of the major reasons why CBJ is in the race at all?  Didn't Howson fire Hitchcock who seems to be doing well in St. Louis?  Signed Wisniewski for $7m?  Rick Nash episode.  

I don't think he is the worst GM like Sather or Garth Snow but his name might be mentioned next in line.  

Howson was responsible for bringing in Bobrovsky during the offseason, before he was fired.  Actually he was responsible for every major move the team has made since 2007 (except the Gaborik trade) including bringing in Dubinsky, Anisimov, Aucoin, Wisneiwski, Johnson, Prospal, Umberger, Tyutin, Foligno, Nikitin, Letestu, and Erixon. 

So pretty much their entire team was acquired by him in one form or fashion, and they're playing well right now, so credit where it's due. 

Also, says something about how woefully inadequate their drafting and development is if you've got a team made up of this many trades and UFA signings.

Edit:  Wisniewski doesn't make 7 million dollars, so you might want to brush up on your fact checking a bit

Edited by kipwinger, 15 April 2013 - 12:20 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#11 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

Even though they got like 3 1st picks ... none of them turned out to be Calder Trophy winners.  

#12 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Craig McTavish is an eggplant.  Wait for him to have a brain fart and trade Eberle and Schultz for Hal Gill and then yell at himself in the corner for 6 days and finally rest on the 7th and see what he's done to Edmonton.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#13 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

Howson was responsible for bringing in Bobrovsky during the offseason, before he was fired.  

I stand corrected then ... one of his best moves. 

#14 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:23 PM

In his 3 years drafting with the Oilers he's had 34 draft picks. About 9 of those were good picks, IMO. And 3 of those 9 are First overall picks and 7 of them are first or second rounders

And that's despite having the highest average picks almost every year. IMO our prospect pool looks just as good, even though we pick way lower and often trade away our first.

EDIT: 9 good picks

And he also forgot that when you're not on offense, you have to play defense.  He forgot to draft the latter.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#15 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:36 PM

Kevin Lowe is in charge of Edmonton anyways, until he's gone nothing will change much.

#16 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:48 PM

Maybe the Oilers should have waited until the season was over to do this

IPB Image

#17 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

Sather isn't the best GM, but I wouldn't put him in the same boat as snow or howson. Guy has an eye for talent and drafts really well

#18 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Sather isn't the best GM, but I wouldn't put him in the same boat as snow or howson. Guy has an eye for talent and drafts really well

Agreed.  The Rangers draft well, they are just prone to impatience and readily blow up their team for the piece that they think will get them over.

See: The Rick Nash trade

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#19 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:54 PM

The press conference was awkward to say the least..they almost seem embarassed with what has gone on.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#20 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

The good news for us is that Kenny will finally be able to acquire Ales Hemsky to add to his stable of small, skilled, versatile, pass first European forwards.  God knows we need another one. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."