Bert thinks he'll be back this season

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 paulb1320

paulb1320

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:10 PM

We're not going anywhere this post season (if we even make it) no need for Bert to push really hard to make it back and maybe injure something permanently. He's had a long history of back problems and with his age and the fact that it spread to his legs it may be life altering if he continues to push it and something goes wrong.

Rest up and get ready for next year Bert and Helmer.

Edited by paulb1320, 15 April 2013 - 08:11 PM.

#22 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

I think the kids bring more value

I think you would need to define "value" then, because there is certainly not a single player in our farm system that would bring what Bert brings to the table for this team. If they did, they would've been called up and replaced his spot rather than Abby. There just isn't a single youth player in our system right now that will hold on to the puck, win puck battles, cause havok, create space, and produce as much as Bert will.

I really hope he can come back and provide what he did previously because he will change the dynamic of this team. No, I don't believe Bert is the second coming of Jesus himself, but I do believe he brings an element we need desperately in the top 6, which is someone else to actually hold onto the puck for an extended amount of time. 

• Nev likes this

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#23 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

Reunite the Franzen-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi line

bringit.jpg

#24 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:33 PM

We're not going anywhere this post season (if we even make it) no need for Bert to push really hard to make it back and maybe injure something permanently. He's had a long history of back problems and with his age and the fact that it spread to his legs it may be life altering if he continues to push it and something goes wrong.

Rest up and get ready for next year Bert and Helmer.

got a stick up your ***? The man's getting there for age eh, let em play all the games he can

#25 paulb1320

paulb1320

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

got a stick up your ***? The man's getting there for age eh, let em play all the games he can

Oh yeah I have a stick up my ass because I want him 100% for next year instead of pushing himself and maybe ending his career for the chance to play at MAX 4 regular season games this season. How dare I be concerned about his life after hockey

#26 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

his life is hockey. I think even bert himself made that clear

#27 paulb1320

paulb1320

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:18 PM

his life is hockey. I think even bert himself made that clear

LOL righttt,

He's 38 has a wife and 2 kids he totally shouldn't worry about walking and living comfortably for the rest of his life.

He may love hockey but I highly doubt it's more important than having an enjoyable life for the rest of his (hopefully) 40+ years.

#28 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

LOL righttt,

He's 38 has a wife and 2 kids he totally shouldn't worry about walking and living comfortably for the rest of his life.

He may love hockey but I highly doubt it's more important than having an enjoyable life for the rest of his (hopefully) 40+ years.

I think you're overplaying this injury like he's currently a vegetable. His back was pretty bad at first, but it's been getting better. The main objective was his push-off on one leg, otherwise he wasn't feeling that bad. He's got outstanding doctors that will ensure he is more than ready to play, remember, he has to get cleared to play. 

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#29 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

I just saw Bert in Nashville, with the team (so was Helm).  They looked great... both skated the morning skate with the team.  I won't be surprised to see Bert back next week.  Helm, probably not.  But I doubt either of them would risk permanent injury or risk being a liability for the team by coming back too soon.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#30 paulb1320

paulb1320

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:30 PM

I think you're overplaying this injury like he's currently a vegetable. His back was pretty bad at first, but it's been getting better. The main objective was his push-off on one leg, otherwise he wasn't feeling that bad. He's got outstanding doctors that will ensure he is more than ready to play, remember, he has to get cleared to play. 

I agree with you, was just responding to the other poster's comment that insinuated that his life is hockey and he should pay no mind to life after his career.

I just think given his age and history it's not wise to push it this late in the season when he can just call this season a wash and have a 5 month rest.

Edited by paulb1320, 15 April 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#31 Superman54

Superman54

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

I agree with you, was just responding to the other poster's comment that insinuated that his life is hockey and he should pay no mind to life after his career.

I just think given his age and history it's not wise to push it this late in the season when he can just call this season a wash and have a 5 month rest.

why so serious? especially when its hard to take your original post seriously at all.... You said "We're not going anywhere this post season" etc. when it's your job (accounting all players) that you PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. Calling it quits is tomfoolery and i took your post light hearted, I'm surprised though you are actually defending it. 

#32 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:08 AM

I welcome Bert back, we definitely need him... if only for getting our ping-pong table taken away from opposing teams in the play-offs:

http://sports.yahoo....-131500201.html

_

You da man Bert!

Tuzzi should have folded Weber up in the ping pong table after his turnbuckle smash on Z.  Kind of a funny story.  Puck Daddy is humourous.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#33 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

I agree he should take it easy, until the last few games.

If it looks like we could make a push for the playoffs, you get him in there to get a game or two under his belt before the playoffs.  I'd rather his first game back not be a Game 1 or 2.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#34 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:14 AM

This is essentially playoff time. With Bert getting on in years (38), back a constant problem even when he isn't missing games, and having missed all but 7 this year, I'm actually surprised so many people think him getting/forcing himself back in the last 4 games or so is a great idea. With the ramped up level of intensity, unless he is 100%, and I mean tip-top shape, I think he'll be more of a drain than a huge gain.

Its bad enough if he is healthy having to shake off the rust at this time of year, but with the Wings in the precarious position they are in now, do we really want someone who has been playing great like Andersson, Gus, or even Brunner (who has shown more jump lately, despite lack of scoring) riding pine with the playoffs on the line to just test Bert's back and legs?

#35 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:54 AM

I have always been a Bert fan and loved him with Pav. If we get anything from him being out for so long, I hope it's that more people will see what he brings to the team because a lot of people on here were bashing him hard last season.

What he brings to the team is slowing the development of Nyquist. Can't have that anymore.

#36 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,877 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

Having him back doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be playing every game.  Give him a game or two to make sure that he's ready, then see how he does.  If he's better than the other options, play him.  If not, sit him.

There's nothing bad about having more depth and more options this time of year.  We missed November, so there was no chorus of "at least this didn't happen in April" with each injury.

At the very least, knowing that there's someone who could take their place is an added incentive for the ones playing.

I want to see him out there and showing what a real man can do, but even if he isn't up to that, it's always good to have someone back in playing shape.

#37 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:02 PM

This thread is not and will not be about the Bertuzzi Moore incident.  It is about Bert coming back to the lineup here in 2013. 

Stay on topic.

#38 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

What he brings to the team is slowing the development of Nyquist. Can't have that anymore.

You still need big bodies like Tuzzi that are vets who can produce.  What is slowing the development of the Nyquist's and Tatar's and Smith's is Cleary, Sammy (although he's kinda been the reason we've seen the kids this year), White, Coliacovo, Quincey, and even Miller.  We have those guys signed for multi year deals which keeps pushing back the start date of the young guys NHL careers.  Tuzzi is better than all those players mentioned, plays great with Pav and Mule and adds size that unfortunately the only prospects we have that do at forward are Andersson and Sheahan.  And Nyquist has done a nice job playing his way into the top 6 at times and is looking really nice on a line with Brunner and Andersson, so no change needed there.  If we get Tuzzin and Helm back, we have Tuzzi up with Dats, and Abdelkader on the 4th line with Helm and Tootoo.  I'm not seeing a downside to that.

This thread is not and will not be about the Bertuzzi Moore incident.  It is about Bert coming back to the lineup here in 2013. 

Stay on topic.

Thank you.

Free darkmanx!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

#39 kickazz

kickazz

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

it will probably be Zet - Dats - Bert and demotion of abdelkader to third line. babcock has made it clear he will keep the euro twins together and wants franzen to start centering more. We'll see what happens.

#40 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:56 PM

My question is will he be in game shape enough to take someone's place. Personally I believe he may have played his last game. His back is not good
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image