• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DatsyukianDekes

Ryan White headshot on Kent Huskins

Rate this topic

What's the terms of the conditional pick we got for kent? 5 games played with flyers? He's played 8, just makin sure we at least get that pick. Get well soon husker

I thought it was only if he re-signs with Philly for next year.

That's a dirty Matt Cooke esque hit. Hope Shanny throws the book at him, too bad Rosehill wasn't on the ice when it happened. Hope Huskins is alright, he's a good guy.

If it was Matt Cooke-esque then it was a complete accident then right? :hehe:

esteef

That's pretty much the exact kind of hits the league is trying to eliminate.

Intentional or not, White had little chance of contacting the body, which is the actual point of checking someone. Given he's not a star player I expect a fairly significant suspension, which I'm fine with.

I'm not sure what it's going to take to get guys like White to realize you can't throw those hits because you're almost certainly going to contact the head, and there's a very good chance you'll miss the body.

I'm with you that pure enforcers and excessive violence don't have a place in the NHL, but I have to take issue with what you say here.

It's true that being a tough team didn't stop White from doing this, but it would stop White from doing it repeatedly. It's the same with anything, you can prepare and try to deter bad things from happening, but once in a while it will always slip through. But I bet the Flyers don't get run like that often. Look at how often Howard gets run. With no retribution, teams will continue to take liberties. With retribution, it won't happen so often.

Exactly.

Knowing you're going to have to fight someone won't stop hits like this. It was a terrible decision and a terrible hit. Idiots like White don't stop and think "uh oh, better not or someone is going to punch me." He's not thinking at all.

But players have said time and time again how good it is for morale to see someone sticking up for his teammate after something like that.

And it "helps keep the flies off" as Babcock puts it. Cuts down a cheapshots around the net and in scrums from little weasels who act like toughguys against the Wings because they know they can.

As I said at the time, when Jimmy got run over and bent backwards, at least one Red Wing should've started pounding on the guy or crosschecking the snot out of him. Instead they stood around looking to the ref.

Pounding on a guy in a situation like that isn't just to keep him from doing it again, an all out brawl escalates the situation for the refs. Someone runs Jimmy, a melee ensues. So from an officiating perspective they'll probably be more keyed in to guys running the goalie because they don't want to lose control of the game.

Taking a penalty there is better than having Jimmy get repeatedly run over and injured as you're trying to make the playoffs.

To be fair how was white going to connect with anything else but the head? Huskins lurched forward, and also what is huskins doing playing that unaware. It is a cheap hit but it wasn't a blatant play ala the Volchenkov or Erskine elbows.

Seriously, let it rest. You going to bring up Bert in every thread about a player getting injured? I'm sure somewhere Steve Moore is happy you are fervently championing his cause, but in the end you just come off looking like a troll.

And this concludes the Bertuzzi portion of our discussion.

Exactly.

Knowing you're going to have to fight someone won't stop hits like this. It was a terrible decision and a terrible hit. Idiots like White don't stop and think "uh oh, better not or someone is going to punch me." He's not thinking at all.

But players have said time and time again how good it is for morale to see someone sticking up for his teammate after something like that.

And it "helps keep the flies off" as Babcock puts it. Cuts down a cheapshots around the net and in scrums from little weasels who act like toughguys against the Wings because they know they can.

As I said at the time, when Jimmy got run over and bent backwards, at least one Red Wing should've started pounding on the guy or crosschecking the snot out of him. Instead they stood around looking to the ref.

Pounding on a guy in a situation like that isn't just to keep him from doing it again, an all out brawl escalates the situation for the refs. Someone runs Jimmy, a melee ensues. So from an officiating perspective they'll probably be more keyed in to guys running the goalie because they don't want to lose control of the game.

Taking a penalty there is better than having Jimmy get repeatedly run over and injured as you're trying to make the playoffs.

I'd like to bold pretty much this entire post. What I wouldn't give to have a McCarty or a Shanahan on this roster; someone who contributes and runs interference, not just a goon.

*Joe Kocur, please pick up the white courtesy phone. Mr. Joe Kocur.*

Guest RedWingsDad
I'd like to bold pretty much this entire post. What I wouldn't give to have a McCarty or a Shanahan on this roster; someone who contributes and runs interference, not just a goon.

*Joe Kocur, please pick up the white courtesy phone. Mr. Joe Kocur.*

Agreed, and this is exactly why I was hoping we signed Shane Doan, a bit old, but EXACTLY the kind of player this team needs. A dying breed of hockey player to be sure... guys like Shanahan and McCarty grew up in a different time... when girls were girls, and men were men. (Archie Bunker, FTW)

Back on topic - I didn't think it was such a bad hit. I can see where there should be repercussions, because he did make contact with the head and is responsible... but it doesn't look to me like he targeted the head.

Edited by RedWingsDad

Guest DeGraa55

Agreed, and this is exactly why I was hoping we signed Shane Doan, a bit old, but EXACTLY the kind of player this team needs. A dying breed of hockey player to be sure... guys like Shanahan and McCarty grew up in a different time... when girls were girls, and men were men. (Archie Bunker, FTW)

Back on topic - I didn't think it was such a bad hit. I can see where there should be repercussions, because he did make contact with the head and is responsible... but it doesn't look to me like he targeted the head.

I kind of agree. You look at every player that actually hits and every single one has "questionable" calls. The game is so quick and things happen so fast and a lot of people don't understand that. Now hits to the head and what not are not good.

But its not always the person who's checking fault. The people on the receiving in are sometimes just as at fault. I've seen hits where guys turn away from the hit(like a *****) and GI face first into the boards. Or people skate with their head down. There's a lot of examples. Most of the dirty hits I see now are both of the players fault. Players need to be more aware.

Think the NHL would make some type of arrangement for the players to work with children or adults suffering from close-head injuries that is mandatory to help get the message across

Edited by Rivalred