• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilzyme

Six outdoor games in 2014 for NHL

Rate this topic

I'm not opposed to the idea of multiple outdoor games, but the epicness with which the NHL continues to f*** up a good thing just astounds me. Of course it would be during the year the Wings are hosting the WC, in the biggest venue yet, and of course one team will get TWO OUTDOOR GAMES DAYS APART BEFORE OTHER TEAMS GET EVEN ONE. EVER. Internet, help me out:

Here's to you, NHL!

tumblr_inline_mgnuzmyou71ryjfq5_zpsfadd5

tumblr_lhsystz5hz1qdr4u6_zpsee3b281b.gif

tumblr_m4e7dw54Md1rqfhi2o1_250_zps3a4e0d

tumblr_mafe73dpzL1r0awhk.gif

There was a preseason game in Vegas back in '91. If they can make ice in September in the middle of the desert, LA in January should be easy. That's the one game that seems like a decent idea. Though it would have been much better to make it the WC in 2015.

I predict that by 2018, Pittsburgh will play their entire schedule outdoors.

Little Gary just couldn't help try to be the Oprah of the NHL. You get a Winter Classic! And YOU get a Winter Classic! And YOU get a Winter Classic too! And that team over there? THEY get a Winter Classic!

Just when you thought that the greed & stupidity of the NHL front office & owners had hit its nadir...

(now watch them be all surprised when the ratings of outdoor games 3-6 drop well below what they expect)

Edited by ogreslayer

There was a preseason game in Vegas back in '91. If they can make ice in September in the middle of the desert, LA in January should be easy. That's the one game that seems like a decent idea. Though it would have been much better to make it the WC in 2015.

I predict that by 2018, Pittsburgh will play their entire schedule outdoors.

Thats a bit different though. It would actually be easier to play a game in January in Vegas at night, as it gets colder at night in the desert...in LA? It seems like a stretch.

Guest DeGraa55

Thats a bit different though. It would actually be easier to play a game in January in Vegas at night, as it gets colder at night in the desert...in LA? It seems like a stretch.

Do you guys not remember the game played in a Colosseum? It was like 67 out I thought.

It can be done. But I bet the ice will be bad(duh) and I thought they had to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars just to keep the ice cold and build the rink.

Temperature at puck drop was 85. It can be done, just takes a lot more refrigeration.

How does 2 recent Cup winners playing each other mean "absolutely nothing"?

Sometimes the blind hate for Sid C and the Penguins gets in the way of good hockey around here.

Oh hey, they just had to figure a way to get Pittsburgh into another one of these. They even matched them up against an opponent that means absolutely nothing, and doesn't pose any excitement.f****** stupid NHL.

Guest irishock

May as well send the entire league to Europe and play an entire week's worth of games there.

Get bent NHL, fire the front-office before they are fully destroying our great-sport. Teams like Senators, Penguins over Original 6 ones like Montrea l *lol* what an embarassment and joke this has become.

The Winter Classic should have been something special, not a stupid sideshow.

Way to water down a great idea NHL, fire Buttman

Heres my great idea:

33 % outdoor

33 % in europe

33 % in NA

0,5 on Mars

0,5 on Jupiter

sounds like a great plan doesn't it?

Edited by frankgrimes

From the LA Times:

Playing six outdoor games in one season is sure to detract from the novelty of playing outdoors, though if it's in your city and it's the only one you attend it's sure to be a memorable experience--as long as the weather cooperates and produces just the right amount of cold-induced rosy cheeks and a picturesque snowflake or two.

There's one certainty to all this: Staging so many games in huge stadiums certainly will pad the league's revenues.

Incidentally, negotiations for that Kings-Ducks game at Dodger Stadium — which would be the first regular-season NHL contest played outdoors in a non-wintry climate — are progressing. An official announcement that had been tentatively planned for this week is now expected to be made next week.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-kings-ducks-winter-classic-dodger-stadium-20130416,0,1597638.story

The NHL is whoring out one of the best ideas they've had in years to try and make up for revenue lost during the lockout.

How does 2 recent Cup winners playing each other mean "absolutely nothing"?

Sometimes the blind hate for Sid C and the Penguins gets in the way of good hockey around here.

They can play good hockey inside. It'd make a nice game of the week for NBC.

Much of the appeal of the WC comes from the novelty. Novelty that is eroded with over-exposure. Then you have Pittsburgh in a 3rd outdoor game, Rangers in their 2nd and 3rd, Chicago and Detroit both in a second, Philly's already had two... While it's understandable to want the biggest ratings draws in an event like this, and it's nice that some new teams will be featured, they shouldn't do it all in one season.

This is so hilariously corporate. Actually think Vancouver and LA should be good, if they can get the ice working in LA, but Pit at Chi? WTF? Rangers shouldn't get two, that's unfair.

As a Red WIng I immediately think Bettman is doing this just to screw with us lol.

Heres my great idea:

33 % outdoor

33 % in europe

33 % in NA

0,5 on Mars

0,5 on Jupiter

Jupiter is just silly. It doesn't even have a surface. Europa is a much better idea, since it's already made of ice.

Guest DeGraa55

Jupiter is just silly. It doesn't even have a surface. Europa is a much better idea, since it's already made of ice.

I honestly do like the Europe idea.

I'm still waiting for the NHL khl and other leagues to merge for a world wide league like they got with rugby. So instead of the 8 game dreaded west cost trip itl be the nightmare Europe 14 game road trio with 4am game times.

Edited by DeGraa55

Heres my great idea:

33 % outdoor

33 % in europe

33 % in NA

0,5 on Mars

0,5 on Jupiter

This is the NHL we are talking about; so every delusional decision is possible

Sent from my BlackBerry

League just trying to make up for lost lockout revenue. Sadly it will work, and they will keep doing it every year. At least the cap will go up again in time I guess.

but at a way slower rate, so parity for years to come and a watered down winter classic 2014. Can't believe owners are letting these front-office idiots continue to water down "kill" the game we once loved

but at a way slower rate, so parity for years to come and a watered down winter classic 2014. Can't believe owners are letting these front-office idiots continue to water down "kill" the game we once loved

agreed. they've been lucky with parity so far with good finals matchups. but good luck with the ratings when we see a nashville vs florida finals

Edited by marcaractac

agreed. they've been lucky with parity so far with good finals matchups. but good luck with the ratings when we see a nashville vs florida finals

Somehow I wish this would happen, just to show the NHL how damn wrong they are with their parity BS.

Lets just hope. the watered down Winter Classic is going to fail and therefoore the experiment will be over after next year.