• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilzyme

Six outdoor games in 2014 for NHL

Rate this topic

This is seriously pathetic. Is this a money grab or what?! Couple more years of this and I can't see why people would even care to watch it in the kind or ratings the NHL wants because it will be just another game...nothing special.

I can legimatly see Pittsburgh getting an annual game. Why not? Essentially they already do. Crosby will probably be hurt during it anyway...I don't see the point. I really thought the NHL wouldn't just go with the Wings/Leafs. Say what you want but two middle of the pack teams, one Canadian...the other without Crosby, don't seem to do it for ol' Gary and his lemming owner group. Why isn't Buffalo playing NJ and NYR playing NYI...Instead of two Ranger games? Three outdoor Ranger games in two years...way to have a "unique" event guys. This game had such potential from a marketing standpoint but they are just pissing all over it.

Whatever.

What an epic, EPIC blunder from the league. First it was "people like goals in hockey, lets screw with things however we have to to increase goals!", now its "people like the WC and its a huge cash cow, lets do whatever it takes to get more of them!"

This league is becoming more of a joke by the day....

Guest RedWingsDad

Wow, I really don't understand all the outrage. I get that it's no longer as unique, but watching more outdoor games is pretty darn awesome to me. At only 6 games, it will still be fairly novel.

Edited by RedWingsDad

Six games is not novel. Especially when it's the same teams over and over again. The only novel one would be Dodger Stadium. Outdoor games by themselves aren't a bad idea, they are fun for people who attend. But it's a blatant cash grab, and people are sick of being reminded of how crass sports can be sometimes.

Six games is not novel. Especially when it's the same teams over and over again. The only novel one would be Dodger Stadium. Outdoor games by themselves aren't a bad idea, they are fun for people who attend. But it's a blatant cash grab, and people are sick of being reminded of how crass sports can be sometimes.

I would argue the Wings/Leafs being original six, probably highest attended hockey game ever, and Toronto's first outdoor game (Canada is collectively wetting their pants a little more everyday in anticipation) is a novelty as well. The Pens game can't be anything but blatant cash grab. Same for NJ/NYR.

Wow, I really don't understand all the outrage. I get that it's no longer as unique, but watching more outdoor games is pretty darn awesome to me. At only 6 games, it will still be fairly novel.

nov·el

2 [nov-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngl] of a new kind; different from anything seen or known before.

7 outdoor games in one season doesn't really fit the description, not even with "fairly" tacked on.

What an epic, EPIC blunder from the league. First it was "people like goals in hockey, lets screw with things however we have to to increase goals!", now its "people like the WC and its a huge cash cow, lets do whatever it takes to get more of them!"

This league is becoming more of a joke by the day....

Honestly... people liked it because it was unique. It was once a year... one match-up... one outdoor game. No wonder it made money for the league... it was that big of an event. You take that same event and divide it by six and that's what you're going to end up with. People are going to grow old and not see the same excitement because there are similar games being played around the nation.

...it just sucks. You don't have that one match-up circled on your calender. You don't need to save up for the big event... now you can choose from one of the six. All because one event makes money, doesn't mean it will make the same equivalent when broadcasted six times. I understand they need and want venue... but this is not it. This is no good.

Guest RedWingsDad

nov·el

2 [nov-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngl] of a new kind; different from anything seen or known before.

7 outdoor games in one season doesn't really fit the description, not even with "fairly" tacked on.

Thanks captain dictionary. Over literal interpretations aside, you get what I was saying.

Guest RedWingsDad

Let me let you in on a secret... ALL professional sports are 'blatantly' about making money. Every logo, every stadium, every jersey, television broadcast, PR statement, piece of memorabilia, the entirety of the winter classic... is about making money. It's a good thing, and 'crass' doesn't factor into the equation. ;)

Thanks captain dictionary. Over literal interpretations aside, you get what I was saying.

You're welcome. I figured you needed to hear the official definition since you were using the word in a situation in which it does not apply. Yes, I get what you were saying, and I still disagree with you.

What a bunch of hipsters. Something becomes popular and you all don't like it anymore. Would you all be whining if the Wings weren't granted the Winter Classic next year but was added to play the beloved Minnesota Wild outdoors?

What a bunch of hipsters. Something becomes popular and you all don't like it anymore. Would you all be whining if the Wings weren't granted the Winter Classic next year but was added to play the beloved Minnesota Wild outdoors?

Yup. Too much of a good thing and all that.

So two original 6 teams are getting one damn game, another original six team is getting two and has been in the classic 3 years ago.

• Ducks vs. Kings at Dodger Stadium, Jan. 25 --> Summer Classic
• Devils vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium, Jan. 26 --->Who cares?
• Islanders vs. Rangers at Yankee Stadium, Jan 29
• Penguins at Blackhawks, Soldier Field, March 1 no words
• Senators at Canucks, BC Place, March 2 --->at least two canadian teams

I love hockey, but I really loathe this league, you lost revenue because the people running the show are complete idiots make that up by providing a better product a frist step would be, to fire this little man and his countryclub named BOG.

Let me let you in on a secret... ALL professional sports are 'blatantly' about making money. Every logo, every stadium, every jersey, television broadcast, PR statement, piece of memorabilia, the entirety of the winter classic... is about making money. It's a good thing, and 'crass' doesn't factor into the equation. ;)

You want to know a secret? It's not wise to be so condescending to people around here. I mean, if you want to be a huge dick then go ahead.

It's not that it's popular, it's that there are too many games and the idea of the WC is being watered down. Imagine if they had the Olympics 4 times a year. Nobody would care anymore.