• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilzyme

Six outdoor games in 2014 for NHL

Rate this topic

Guest RedWingsDad

Wow, I really don't understand all the outrage. I get that it's no longer as unique, but watching more outdoor games is pretty darn awesome to me. At only 6 games, it will still be fairly novel.

nov·el

2 [nov-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngl] of a new kind; different from anything seen or known before.

7 outdoor games in one season doesn't really fit the description, not even with "fairly" tacked on.

Thanks captain dictionary. Over literal interpretations aside, you get what I was saying.

You're welcome. I figured you needed to hear the official definition since you were using the word in a situation in which it does not apply. Yes, I get what you were saying, and I still disagree with you.

Perhaps you wish to take this to PM's? In this context, fairly novel should be taken to mean uncommon, rare etc... which would certainly apply, since you know, there are 1,230 total games in a regular hockey season, and we are talking about 6 games. FYI, I might have also used 'fairly unique', which also wouldn't make sense from a strict dictionary perspective, but to anyone not being purposefully obnoxious... would likely be taken to mean uncommon, rare, etc.

So that being said, since you stated you do in fact understand what I am trying to say, I am surprised you think that 6 games out of 1230 would not be considered uncommon or rare...?

Edited by RedWingsDad

Let me let you in on a secret... ALL professional sports are 'blatantly' about making money. Every logo, every stadium, every jersey, television broadcast, PR statement, piece of memorabilia, the entirety of the winter classic... is about making money. It's a good thing, and 'crass' doesn't factor into the equation. ;)

Watering down a great produc, not caring about the integrity of the sport and even kill one of the last coll things - the ASG has just become a joke years ago - may be about making money, but it is a bad and a very bad thing. Hopefully this is going to fail miserable and heads will start to roll soon.

This league needs to go back to its roots, which is tough hockey and less marketing, PR and other stupid stuff.

Turning the Winter Classic into an average event AND adding a summer classic on top of it is just too bad to be true. Some things are and should always be bigger than making money, how about integrity, tradition and novelty of the sport?

Also if the league wants to make money, how about allowing great teams to be great again? Yeah I guess thats too easy and obvious for some of the NHL bosses pathetitic league and even worse front-office hate them all.

Edited by frankgrimes

Perhaps you wish to take this to PM's? In this context, fairly novel should be taken to mean uncommon, rare etc... which would certainly apply, since you know, there are 1,230 total games in a regular hockey season, and we are talking about 6 games. FYI, I might have also used 'fairly unique', which also wouldn't make sense from a strict dictionary perspective, but to anyone not being purposefully obnoxious... would likely be taken to mean uncommon, rare, etc.

So that being said, since you stated you do in fact understand what I am trying to say, I am surprised you think that 6 games out of 1230 would not be considered uncommon or rare...?

I'm confused...are we talking about you or somebody else?

What's less common, 1 out of 1230 or 6 out of 1230?

Edited by rrasco

This is just the worst. So, the Winter Classic now kicks off a virtual season of outdoor games? What about the cost of putting these things on versus the fact that we're going to start seeing half-empty stadiums as they continue to dilute the product. If Gary thinks that he can get 100,000 or even 40,000 fans to go to every one of these now that it's not a one-time event, he's nuts.

Not even to mention the risks to player safety as they will invariably play on terrible ice and some of these.

The NHL HAD something with the 24/7 lead-in and a real "event" feeling to the Winter Classic. That took a chunk out of that with the lockout, and this will kill the allure even more.

As a stickler for grammar I would tend to agree with vladdy, but I'm actually ok with your usage. Appropriation is actually the key to language rather than meaning or usage. If it's understood then, practically (rather than technically), it's correct/acceptable. And if anyone disagrees they should look to pretty much all 21st century conversation and will more than likely see words and prose that doesn't technically work. But we understand it because we have a fantastic ability as sentient beings to decipher meanings from things that don't work - hence why we can read backwards and understand an intended word from a spelling mistake. Off topic though.

On topic, I thought this was a joke when I saw it on Facebook. I guess it's not, and honestly I don't really know what I feel about it. Being in the UK I'm pretty psyched to get to see a lot more outdoor games so I guess I'm okay with it. I just hope they don't take the shine off the Wings/Leafs WC though and just call them all 'The Winter Series' or something. Because then it's just sh**ing all over an event that was supposed to be special for us given the history of the two teams involved.

I think the real problem with this league isn't that people are out of touch with fans, or are simply out to make money, but that they don't understand/simply don't care that they're hurting people in the process. That irks me.

This is just the worst. So, the Winter Classic now kicks off a virtual season of outdoor games? What about the cost of putting these things on versus the fact that we're going to start seeing half-empty stadiums as they continue to dilute the product. If Gary thinks that he can get 100,000 or even 40,000 fans to go to every one of these now that it's not a one-time event, he's nuts.

Not even to mention the risks to player safety as they will invariably play on terrible ice and some of these.

The NHL HAD something with the 24/7 lead-in and a real "event" feeling to the Winter Classic. That took a chunk out of that with the lockout, and this will kill the allure even more.

Yeah it's also worth noting that these won't be tickets at regular pricing. They're prime tickets. How many Rangers fans are going to spend premium price on tickets for two games in one week? And that's only if they're going by themselves. Some people will not bother in those games. I think the others will sell out though, PIT/CHI being the least likely of the rest since it's been done/they don't care about each other enough for it to mean something (as opposed to 2 Cali teams, 2 O6 rivals, 2 Canadian teams, NY/NJ).

Yep. The NHL had an intriquing, unique event that celebrates what's great about our sport. Keeping the intrique is/was vitale to it. Now...I mean seriously, who cares? Lets just call it the K-Mart Cup of the Winter Generic.

It's not that it's popular, it's that there are too many games and the idea of the WC is being watered down. Imagine if they had the Olympics 4 times a year. Nobody would care anymore.

Exactly. I don't expect everyone to agree, but it's not exactly a radical viewpoint to think that taking a one time event and adding 5 more events to it makes it less unique.

What makes it the Winter Classic is that it was one game played outside at or around the new year. All the promotion went to and led up to that one big event.

When you have 6 games, you're just playing hockey outside. Still interesting, but a lot less special.

Babcock is high-fiving himself because there will most likely be zero coverage of 24/7 for all of these games. I doubt they would just do the Wings/Leafs. Babcock already hates the idea of media being allowed in the locker room, and media in general, so he has to be a little more excited to get his way. I swear I remember Babcock trying to get 24/7 denied access to the locker room because he didn't think media belonged there. I gotta find that article now.

Found it:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/mike-babcock-wary-red-wings-hbo-24-7-221400389.html

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/02/low-key_red_wings_not_best_att.html

Edited by evilzyme

So you don't have to try to be obnoxious, it just comes naturally to you.

To the average fan, there are not 1230 games; there are 82. And given that there was no WC for 82 years and only 1 or none for 6 years, having 6 in one year removes any hint of novelty, even fairly.

Too much... way too much. Takes away the allure and what could have been a tradition becomes something very common.

Sucks also because Wings and Leafs would be headlining and we would get to see the Winter Classic 24/7 special but now with 6 of these who knows.

Edited by Yak19

So you don't have to try to be obnoxious, it just comes naturally to you.

To the average fan, there are not 1230 games; there are 82. And given that there was no WC for 82 years and only 1 or none for 6 years, having 6 in one year removes any hint of novelty, even fairly.

If you want to talk about fair.....

Look at the Winter Classic games we have had so far....

Pens vrs Buffalo

Wings vrs Blackhawks

Flyers vrs Boston

Caps vrs Pens

Rangers vrs Flyers

Leafs vrs Wings

At my count, out of 30 possible teams only 9 out of 30 teams have gotten the opportunity to play in the Winter classic in 6 years. So even if the rest of the teams got a crack at the Winter Classic, then it would take 10+ years to cover them all. I really think the NHL did this for a couple of reasons.

1. Money

2. Owners from other teams complaining that they couldn't play or host in one because they are big money

3. Fans complaining that they won't get a chance to see one

All three of those reasons equals cash in the eyes of the NHL.

Personally, I will watch them on TV. A risky gamble indeed but I like the idea.

from business perspective, this is a great move. these games are sold out for whatever they ask for. I'd also say, tv rating would be as high as if it was only one or two games.

from fan perspective, this is a horrible move. for one reason jealousy.

however, if the league will keep doing it year after year, all benefits will water down.

Edited by ami

Something Elliote Friedman just pointed out today that had completely slipped my mind is the Winter Olympics in Sochi. The over saturation might be an attempt by the NHL to attract the casual or non-fan that gets into hockey during the Olympics. Granted Gary will probably screw that up by not allowing NHLers to play in the Olympic Games.

If you want to talk about fair.....

Look at the Winter Classic games we have had so far....

Pens vrs Buffalo

Wings vrs Blackhawks

Flyers vrs Boston

Caps vrs Pens

Rangers vrs Flyers

Leafs vrs Wings

At my count, out of 30 possible teams only 9 out of 30 teams have gotten the opportunity to play in the Winter classic in 6 years. So even if the rest of the teams got a crack at the Winter Classic, then it would take 10+ years to cover them all. I really think the NHL did this for a couple of reasons.

1. Money

2. Owners from other teams complaining that they couldn't play or host in one because they are big money

3. Fans complaining that they won't get a chance to see one

All three of those reasons equals cash in the eyes of the NHL.

Personally, I will watch them on TV. A risky gamble indeed but I like the idea.

Of the 5 additional games, 4 of the teams have already played in a winter classic. And the Rangers play two outdoor games in three days. Talk about making it less special.

The Rangers will play their 2nd and 3rd time. The pens will play for their 3rd time. The Wings and Blackhawks will both play for their 2nd time. Considering how many teams in the Winter Classics (?) next year have already played in the Winter Classic, spreading the games around the league doesn't seem like it was much of a priority.

Guest RedWingsDad

I'm confused...are we talking about you or somebody else?

What's less common, 1 out of 1230 or 6 out of 1230?

Semantics games get old. I will PM you to clear up your confusion.

Something Elliote Friedman just pointed out today that had completely slipped my mind is the Winter Olympics in Sochi. The over saturation might be an attempt by the NHL to attract the casual or non-fan that gets into hockey during the Olympics. Granted Gary will probably screw that up by not allowing NHLers to play in the Olympic Games.

I can't remember if it was last night or the night before but on NBCSportsNetwork they were saying that the NHLPA and NHL are already in talks with Sochi. They had just sent over officials to go recon out Sochi and check out the environment. I'm not sure of everything they went over there for, but the league and players association is trying to make it work apparently. Very good point to bring up though.... hopefully Pasha can go join Sochi because he's holding it very closely to his heart. His one answer for his "short-term goals" were: Stanley cup, Sochi 2014, and becoming a better father and husband in life.

The playoffs will be played outdoors from now on, according to section 3-2 of the new CBA:

Section 3-2:

Any possible way of garnering monies from avid hockey fans will be done so as follows; test the market to see if it is a viable source of revenue, and then if it is do it overboard like a bad soap opera. If it is not a viable location, build a new hockey team there and make everyone else suffer while it goes through bankruptcy.

Semantics games get old. I will PM you to clear up your confusion.

I'm not arguing semantics. You are. I could care less what the meaning of novelty is, I just thought it was fairly obvious you were being an ass-hat for no reason.

Let's just have six Christmas's, or Thanksgivings, or whatever annual event of your choosing. If you can't see that when you take an event that happens once a year and schedule it for multiple times a year that the original event becomes less novel, then I don't know what else to say. It is what it is.