• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
evilzyme

Six outdoor games in 2014 for NHL

Rate this topic

from business perspective, this is a great move. these games are sold out for whatever they ask for. I'd also say, tv rating would be as high as if it was only one or two games.

from fan perspective, this is a horrible move. for one reason jealousy.

however, if the league will keep doing it year after year, all benefits will water down.

Agreed. I don't think anyone has a problem with the league making money. More revenue, the cap goes up, that benefits the Wings. But from a fan's perspective, it's about maintaining integrity while also making money.

Like putting advertisements on the players jerseys. That would make the league a ton more money. Is it going to change in any way how hockey in the NHL is played? Absolutely not. But I still hope they never do such a thing because even though the game is exactly the same, it cheapens it.

The Winter Classic had integrity and by it's exclusivity of once a year it was a special event. The amount of promotion, build up to the game, everything keyed in this one outdoor game.

Adding 5 other games certainly isn't the end of the world, but it took an incredibly unique event and basically turned it into 6 hockey games that are played outside.

I remember seeing the Cold War at MSU back in the day. What a great environment to see a game in. It was damn cold outside and the atmosphere was electric. Well worth seeing that game that is for sure. I have been to the second cold war game at Michigan and that was a little less exciting. Still, it was worth going to.

I am just fine with the NHL putting on 6 outdoor games a year. Risky? Yes. The tickets will sell out though. Just as they sold out for MSU vrs Michigan. Just like they sold out for the Heritage Classic in Canada. The novelty will always be there, and when it isn't, they will stop playing games outdoors.

Guest Playmaker

I could see adding a second one, maybe. But 5 more? Part of the increased ratings for the Winter Classic is the New Year's Day time slot. Now that there aren't any meaningful football games on, it fills a void for sports fans. Other than the warm weather game, no real novelty to any of the other games in terms of dates or time or anything.

One thing I don't get is that the impression was always given that planning the Winter Classic took so much time and planning and had that there was so much involved logistically. Now they can just add 5 games in less than a year with no problems whatsoever?

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

canucks and senators will be the Heritage Classic. should be a good game.

i wonder if the ducks and the kings for their outdoor game will wear those jerseys they wore in the mid 90s that failed miserably. lol

pens and hawks will be something unique. i just dont get why the NY Rangers get 2 within a couple days of each other.

Agreed. I don't think anyone has a problem with the league making money. More revenue, the cap goes up, that benefits the Wings. But from a fan's perspective, it's about maintaining integrity while also making money.

Like putting advertisements on the players jerseys. That would make the league a ton more money. Is it going to change in any way how hockey in the NHL is played? Absolutely not. But I still hope they never do such a thing because even though the game is exactly the same, it cheapens it.

The Winter Classic had integrity and by it's exclusivity of once a year it was a special event. The amount of promotion, build up to the game, everything keyed in this one outdoor game.

Adding 5 other games certainly isn't the end of the world, but it took an incredibly unique event and basically turned it into 6 hockey games that are played outside.

It also has an impact on the TOR/DRW game. Non hockeyfans will look at this game and be like "oh well there are 6 outdoor games and one of those is in a big stadium" they won't know that these teams are original 6 franchises with huge fanbases playing a "real" Winter Classic so they are also watering down "our" Winter Classic which is pissing me off beyond believe.

http://www.weatherwest.com/archives/796 so nice having a "Rollerblades Classic" scheduled ey NHL?

Edited by frankgrimes

...so they are also watering down "our" Winter Classic which is pissing me off beyond believe.

All throughout the lockout, I was wondering how Bettman was going to screw up this Winter Classic (and, in the process, create another Penguins Classic) and I guess I have my answer.

If the NHL is going to have more than one or two outdoor games a year, they should get serious about doing it right. Have 5 games a year (maybe New Years Day, then every Saturday night in January) and rotate the teams and venues so that each team plays outdoors once every 3 years, and each team gets an outdoor home game once every 6 years. Or (gulp) do 10 games each year so each team gets 2 every 3 years and a home outdoor game once every 3 years. Watching your favorite teams outdoors on TV would still be noteworthy events, and a chance to attend an outdoor home game only once every 3 or 6 years would still be a special opportunity. If I knew every Saturday night during the core winter months of hockey season I could tune in and watch an outdoor game (the only one either of those teams will play that year, and the only time at that venue for 3 to 6 years - or ever, if a city moves their outdoor venue around) -- That would be cool.

I'm with the general consensus around here. This game was special. Once a year we have the Winter Classic in the US and the Heritage Classic in Canada. It was a 1 game special event on January 1st that was the best possbile way you could ring in the new year and now it's just another outdoor game. Adding 5 more games may be good for revenue, but it takes away the glamour. And 2 for the Rangers? Come on already.

Guest irishock

Senators and Canucks should've been the only other outdoor game next year.

canucks and senators will be the Heritage Classic. should be a good game.

i wonder if the ducks and the kings for their outdoor game will wear those jerseys they wore in the mid 90s that failed miserably. lol

pens and hawks will be something unique. i just dont get why the NY Rangers get 2 within a couple days of each other.

Rangers get 2 games because they will be held around the same time period as the Super Bowl is held in New York/New Jersey.

I was in favor of two-three games not sure how I feel about 6 but it's a cash cow and spotlight and more than 8-10 good or big teams deserve to have it

Rangers get 2 games because they will be held around the same time period as the Super Bowl is held in New York/New Jersey.

Yea it's gonna be huge ill be in attendance for at least one

From NHL:

The Chicago Blackhawks will host the Pittsburgh Penguins at Soldier Field in an outdoor game next season.

The NHL says the game is scheduled for March 1, 2014, at the home of the NFL's Chicago Bears.

The event is part of the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series, a group of NHL regular-season games planned for outdoor locations during the 2013-14 season.

"Series"? Series-ously?

Pretty soon the NHL will hatch a plan for sunbelt teams to have outdoor games too, in the all-new Roller Ball Classic! Games will count just the same, because why not? Seriously though, playing these games outdoors as late as March is such a dumb idea... even when they had the Winter Classic in a place like Pittsburgh, which gets snow in December and January, the temperature was above 60 and it rained that year! So making plans for Los Angeles to have an outdoor game, and other places to play outdoors in March, the chances are too high for a disaster. It's like they are knowingly crapping on the sport.

Edited by Resetti

From NHL:

Hockey fans in southern California will have an opportunity to watch some of their favorite NHL stars next year in possible 80-plus degree temperatures from the great outdoors when the Los Angeles Kings play host to the Anaheim Ducks at Dodger Stadium on Jan. 25, 2014.

The event is part of the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series, in which the NHL plans to play a number of regular-season games in outdoor venues in 2013-14. The League already announced another game in this series last week, revealing plans for a outdoor game at Soldier Field, featuring the Chicago Blackhawksand the Pittsburgh Penguins, to be played on March 1, 2014.

"With their meeting in the 2014 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series, the Ducks and the Kings will write the next chapter in the exciting story of NHL hockey in Southern California," Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "At a venue that represents so much glorious sports history, this match-up of Stanley Cup champions will raise our outdoor initiatives to bold new heights. We know the game will be a treat for our fans, and we thank the Ducks, the Kings, Coors Light, Dodger Stadium and the Los Angeles Dodgers for bringing it to life."

Uncle Gary = "The Ernest Angley of Hockey".

From NHL:

Uncle Gary = "The Ernest Angley of Hockey".

I just read about the SoCal game on another site. They used the 1991 Vegas preseason exhibition that was played in 85 degree weather as a comparison and template for a successful outcome. I'm surprised the NHLPA isn't fighting this because of the threat of injury. They can't even maintain quality ice indoors during the spring in the south let alone outdoors.

I just read about the SoCal game on another site. They used the 1991 Vegas preseason exhibition that was played in 85 degree weather as a comparison and template for a successful outcome. I'm surprised the NHLPA isn't fighting this because of the threat of injury. They can't even maintain quality ice indoors during the spring in the south let alone outdoors.

And just how successful was that Vegas exhibition game? I've heard comments that the ice was horrible.