• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#41 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

How does 2 recent Cup winners playing each other mean "absolutely nothing"?

Sometimes the blind hate for Sid C and the Penguins gets in the way of good hockey around here.

They can play good hockey inside. It'd make a nice game of the week for NBC.

Much of the appeal of the WC comes from the novelty. Novelty that is eroded with over-exposure. Then you have Pittsburgh in a 3rd outdoor game, Rangers in their 2nd and 3rd, Chicago and Detroit both in a second, Philly's already had two... While it's understandable to want the biggest ratings draws in an event like this, and it's nice that some new teams will be featured, they shouldn't do it all in one season.

#42 NorwegianWing

NorwegianWing

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:02 AM

This is so hilariously corporate. Actually think Vancouver and LA should be good, if they can get the ice working in LA, but Pit at Chi? WTF? Rangers shouldn't get two, that's unfair. 

As a Red WIng I immediately think Bettman is doing this just to screw with us lol. 

#43 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

Way to water down a great idea NHL, fire Buttman

Heres my great idea:

33 % outdoor

33 % in europe

33 % in NA

0,5 on Mars

0,5 on Jupiter

sounds like a great plan doesn't it?

Jupiter is just silly. It doesn't even have a surface. Europa is a much better idea, since it's already made of ice.

#44 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:28 AM

Jupiter is just silly. It doesn't even have a surface. Europa is a much better idea, since it's already made of ice.

I honestly do like the Europe idea.

I'm still waiting for the NHL khl and other leagues to merge for a world wide league like they got with rugby. So instead of the 8 game dreaded west cost trip itl be the nightmare Europe 14 game road trio with 4am game times.

Edited by DeGraa55, 17 April 2013 - 01:29 AM.

#45 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:59 AM

Way to water down a great idea NHL, fire Buttman

Heres my great idea:

33 % outdoor
33 % in europe
33 % in NA
0,5 on Mars
0,5 on Jupiter

sounds like a great plan doesn't it?

This is the NHL we are talking about; so every delusional decision is possible

Sent from my BlackBerry

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#46 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

League just trying to make up for lost lockout revenue. Sadly it will work, and they will keep doing it every year. At least the cap will go up again in time I guess.

#47 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:48 AM

League just trying to make up for lost lockout revenue. Sadly it will work, and they will keep doing it every year. At least the cap will go up again in time I guess.

but at a way slower rate, so parity for years to come and a watered down winter classic 2014. Can't believe owners are letting these front-office idiots continue to water down "kill" the game we once loved

kftx.jpg

#48 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 03:54 AM

but at a way slower rate, so parity for years to come and a watered down winter classic 2014. Can't believe owners are letting these front-office idiots continue to water down "kill" the game we once loved

agreed. they've been lucky with parity so far with good finals matchups. but good luck with the ratings when we see a nashville vs florida finals

Edited by marcaractac, 17 April 2013 - 03:55 AM.

#49 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

agreed. they've been lucky with parity so far with good finals matchups. but good luck with the ratings when we see a nashville vs florida finals

Somehow I wish this would happen, just to show the NHL how damn wrong they are with their parity BS.

Lets just hope. the watered down Winter Classic is going to fail and therefoore the experiment will be over after next year.

kftx.jpg

#50 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:15 AM

I'm dying for an uninteresting finals and toilet ratings for that very season. at some point it will happen.

#51 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:55 AM

I'm dying for an uninteresting finals and toilet ratings for that very season. at some point it will happen.

I so hope it is this year, best thing would be something like Dallas versus Carolina, maybe then the owners and other responsible people will come to their senses. One can still hope right?

kftx.jpg

#52 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

Two was fine, six is too much IMO. This might end up hurting the league's reputation if/when some of these games don't sell out.

#53 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:09 AM

This is seriously pathetic. Is this a money grab or what?! Couple more years of this and I can't see why people would even care to watch it in the kind or ratings the NHL wants because it will be just another game...nothing special.

I can legimatly see Pittsburgh getting an annual game. Why not? Essentially they already do. Crosby will probably be hurt during it anyway...I don't see the point. I really thought the NHL wouldn't just go with the Wings/Leafs. Say what you want but two middle of the pack teams, one Canadian...the other without Crosby, don't seem to do it for ol' Gary and his lemming owner group. Why isn't Buffalo playing NJ and NYR playing NYI...Instead of two Ranger games? Three outdoor Ranger games in two years...way to have a "unique" event guys. This game had such potential from a marketing standpoint but they are just pissing all over it.

Whatever.

#54 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

cash-cow.jpg

Next up: games scheduled 24/7?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#55 AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Nobody rules these streets at night like me...

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

This is just stupid. Way to take something cool and ruin it. Coolness over.

I am a victim of the science age...the underground.

Feed the Swede! - RETIRED 2012

#56 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:19 AM

What an epic, EPIC blunder from the league. First it was "people like goals in hockey, lets screw with things however we have to to increase goals!", now its "people like the WC and its a huge cash cow, lets do whatever it takes to get more of them!" 

This league is becoming more of a joke by the day....

#57 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:31 AM

Wow, I really don't understand all the outrage. I get that it's no longer as unique, but watching more outdoor games is pretty darn awesome to me. At only 6 games, it will still be fairly novel.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 17 April 2013 - 10:04 AM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#58 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:40 AM

Six games is not novel.  Especially when it's the same teams over and over again.  The only novel one would be Dodger Stadium. Outdoor games by themselves aren't a bad idea, they are fun for people who attend.  But it's a blatant cash grab, and people are sick of being reminded of how crass sports can be sometimes.  

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#59 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:47 AM

Six games is not novel.  Especially when it's the same teams over and over again.  The only novel one would be Dodger Stadium. Outdoor games by themselves aren't a bad idea, they are fun for people who attend.  But it's a blatant cash grab, and people are sick of being reminded of how crass sports can be sometimes.  

I would argue the Wings/Leafs being original six, probably highest attended hockey game ever, and Toronto's first outdoor game (Canada is collectively wetting their pants a little more everyday in anticipation) is a novelty as well. The Pens game can't be anything but blatant cash grab. Same for NJ/NYR.

#60 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,179 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

Wow, I really don't understand all the outrage. I get that it's no longer as unique, but watching more outdoor games is pretty darn awesome to me. At only 6 games, it will still be fairly novel.

nov·el

2  [nov-uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngl] of a new kind; different from anything seen or known before.

7 outdoor games in one season doesn't really fit the description, not even with "fairly" tacked on.   

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011